or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Last minute odds and ends: iPhone 3GS, notebooks, retail
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Last minute odds and ends: iPhone 3GS, notebooks, retail

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
With Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference slated to begin in roughly two hours, a handful of last minute tips have surfaced regarding the naming scheme for the next iPhone, some brief changes to MacBook pricing that were quickly reversed, and reports of extended hours for retail staffers this week.

iPhone 3GS

Daring Fireball's John Gruber last night said he'd heard that Apple may call its new iPhone the iPhone 3GS, with the 'S' possibly symbolizing the faster speed of the new handset.

Since then, a reliable sources close to AppleInsider have added some support to this claim, saying the name has been making the rounds internally in reference to the iPhone with video recording capabilities. Still, it's unclear whether Apple plans to use that moniker publicly.

These same sources were the first to report that the new iPhones would include a built-in video camera.

Notebooks

Meanwhile, AppleInsider recently reported on Apple's plans to introduce more affordable Macs sometime this year, possibly as early as the spring.

Today, Apple's online Sales Web interface briefly listed reduced pricing for all three of the company's notebook lines: MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air. The changes were quickly reversed to existing pricing, however, and it's unclear if the anomaly is a sign of changes that will arrive today.

In recent weeks several Apple authorized dealers have seen reduced stock of Mac notebooks, particularly the MacBook Pro. This, however, could be related to a temporary shift in inventory towards Apple's direct sales channels to support its recently-launched back-to-school promotion.

Retail

Finally, a couple of Apple retail staffers claim that Apple has doubled their hours for the week beginning tomorrow, Tuesday June 9th, leading them to believe the company will have some new offerings to display in its stores almost immediately.

It's also being reported that current iPhone 3G demo units have started to disappear from display tables at some Apple retail stores.



Live Coverage

AppleInsider has staffers on site for today's opening WWDC keynote address and will provide live coverage of the event here.
post #2 of 12
Deleted....
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It's also being reported that current iPhone 3G demo units have started to disappear from display tables at some Apple retail stores.

Has this ever happened with other hardware in the hours before an announcement?
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Today, Apple's online Sales Web interface briefly listed reduced pricing for all three of the company's notebook lines: MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air. The changes were quickly reversed to existing pricing, however, and it's unclear if the anomaly is a sign of changes that will arrive today.

This sounds good!
Quote:
Finally, a couple of Apple retail staffers claim that Apple has doubled their hours for the week beginning tomorrow, Tuesday June 9th, leading them to believe the company will have some new offerings to display in its stores almost immediately.

It's also being reported that current iPhone 3G demo units have started to disappear from display tables at some Apple retail stores.

This sounds VERY good. I can't imagine they will have the iPhone 3GS ready to sell immediately, but is it possible that they could have display units available during the manufacturing ramp-up?
Man, I am going to be sooo disapointed if iPhones are not ready till July...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #5 of 12
I hearby predict a 64g itouch .
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #6 of 12
Big day, don't get your hopes up and be happy with what we get. Time to upgrade my original iPhone now.
post #7 of 12
Well from what I read recently, the latest public build (beta 5) of iPhone OS 3.0 wasn't exactly the smoothest or well-polished version, but an improvement compared to earlier builds. I doubt in the few weeks that have passed since that release that there has been a tremendous improvement in the OS that makes it viable for shipment. I could be wrong of course. Let's hope that their 3.0 release is better than their 2.0 release, which was garbage until 2.1 came along.
post #8 of 12
Drop those prices now! The lower the better for the consumer.
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

Big day, don't get your hopes up and be happy with what we get. Time to upgrade my original iPhone now.

I'm hoping to upgrade my original too. The HOME button requires so much pressure to get a response that I'm almost afraid my finger is going to go right through it. And the lock button barely works.
post #10 of 12
Some quick notes on why I think the new iPhone will have HD video downloading over both WiFi and 3G, and will probably shoot 720p video too.

Video Downloads to iPhones and iPods Over WiFi

Theres most likely some renegotiation required with content owners for Apple / iTunes to do delivery to mobile devices. Apple is all about a consistent user experience and wants its entire video library available from day one. Fortunately, content owners are now realizing how little theyre making from Netflix and Hulu streaming (I heard that the Crawford documentary only made around $1100 from Hulu). This realization should speed negotiations along particularly for rentals, which some content owners seem to have been reluctant to allow.

Video Downloads to iPhones Over 3G

Apple has intentionally made WiFi video downloads a not-very-closely-gaurded secret. Apple then leveraged the resulting speculation to negotiate downloads over 3G with AT&T, who simply wants a cut of the 3G sales. Exactly how much is whats being negotiated, specifically, Apple doesnt want to be forced to raise prices for mobile downloads and potentially held out to illustrate to AT&T that... (continued) http://bit.ly/LlRYt
post #11 of 12
S for speed?!?!? SJ really is not going to be happy when he comes back on watch.
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

S for speed?!?!? SJ really is not going to be happy when he comes back on watch.

get real. does anyone honestly think that Jobs hasn't been in the know about everything going on since he went on leave. you can bet he's got a computer, email and ichat to keep in touch with things. and anything that happened he had a say in.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Last minute odds and ends: iPhone 3GS, notebooks, retail