or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple unveils faster, more affordable MacBook Pros
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple unveils faster, more affordable MacBook Pros - Page 4

post #121 of 239
That's true with downloads their is no ubiquity which limits the ability to move media around between different devices. But downloads aren't the only alternative. Streaming, cable television, video on demand, DVR are all competitors to optical media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Unfortunately, they have a laundry list of issues too. There's not a standard, just a bunch of proprietary formats tied to proprietary devices.
post #122 of 239
Netflix reported millions of it's customers use it's streaming service. While about half a million rent BD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I'm not even interested indownloads in a serious way yet. I tried some from itunes, and they were fine, but nothing thrilling.

I'm far happier with BD.
post #123 of 239
Guess that was a mistake. Doh. Any chance they will let me exchange it?


Edit: I called. They want a 10% restocking fee. Fine. I ordered a 15.4" 2.8 GHZ model which will be here June 11th. I expedited shipping for $18.00. When it comes, I'll transfer my shit and return this one to the store. For $40, I'll have a much better machine.

Un goddamned believable.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #124 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme View Post

So as far as connectivity goes you have go for the 17" before the macbook goes pro!
wondering where i can plug may raids in otherwise!

Sorry if this has been said but I've never really understood the need to connect a raid array to a notebook. Do you really carry the array around with you everywhere? I guess I could see it for a musician... or maybe a high end photographer, but still do you really need that much faster disk access out in the world? I'm just curious.
post #125 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Netflix reported millions of it's customers use it's streaming service. While about half a million rent BD.

I don't understand why you are so opposed to Apple offering an option for BD on OS X. It's an option, don't order it if you don't want it. But using the argument that it doesn't have enough uptake as a reason not to offer the option seems antithetical.
post #126 of 239
My brother ordered the previous 15" only last week and he hasn't even received it yet! The thing is he ordered a BTO with a 7200 RPM hard drive. What are the chances he can get the new version?


Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Guess that was a mistake. Doh. Any chance they will let me exchange it?


Edit: I called. They want a 10% restocking fee. Fine. I ordered a 15.4" 2.8 GHZ model which will be here June 11th. I expedited shipping for $18.00. When it comes, I'll transfer my shit and return this one to the store. For $40, I'll have a much better machine.

Un goddamned believable.
post #127 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

I don't understand why you are so opposed to Apple offering an option for BD on OS X. It's an option, don't order it if you don't want it. But using the argument that it doesn't have enough uptake as a reason not to offer the option seems antithetical.

Well for some of us it imposes changes in how OS X behaves with media content and license issues from Apple's perspective.

What if the DRM changes affect my ability to access media content in other applications? Blu-ray is designed for large screen viewing with good sound systems attached. You have a vast minority of people asking for a feature that could have deleterious effects to the majority.

If Blu-ray comes it'll come for a Mac Pro first.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #128 of 239
Actually I'm not against it, I just don't think its as necessary as others claim it to be. It would be fine by me if Apple offered it as an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

I don't understand why you are so opposed to Apple offering an option for BD on OS X. It's an option, don't order it if you don't want it. But using the argument that it doesn't have enough uptake as a reason not to offer the option seems antithetical.
post #129 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Your complaint is.

You buy something the day before a major Apple showcase, and then complain because newer machines are announced.

Give us a break!

Ya know... i've been a member here and a mac user for a long damn time, and most of the time i'm on top of things... i apologize if i wasn't keeping up this time. I do have a thing called a LIFE and so I've been real busy.

Just wasn't paying attention.
post #130 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

My brother ordered the previous 15" only last week and he hasn't even received it yet! The thing is he ordered a BTO with a 7200 RPM hard drive. What are the chances he can get the new version?

Tell him not to open it and he should be able to return it without paying a restocking fee.
post #131 of 239
I can't believe that people are actually surprised (and even disappointed) that there is no B-R option in the new MBP. The surprise would have been if it was included!

As a viewing/consumer option, a laptop is a poor way to go (especially a laptop with less than 1920x1080 resolution). On the pro side, there is no noise whatsoever being made from apple about support for B-R in it's pro-apps.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #132 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Tell him not to open it and he should be able to return it without paying a restocking fee.

Actually, tell him not to receive the package at all. When the carrier delivers the computer, just refuse to accept it.
post #133 of 239
Shouldn't Microsoft have to stop running that ad where the annoying "filmmaker" passes on a Mac because the best laptop has under $2k only has 2GB of RAM? Because I just saw the thing on television again.
post #134 of 239
They are really hobbling the 15 inch Macbook Pro. Overall, it seems great; better memory capacities, better hard drive capacities, better display, lower price.

But no Express Card support means no eSATA; and the ongoing lack of a matte display option means a literal headache for a lot of people. I think many people who need power AND portability are going to be very upset at having to either buy the 17 or else punt.

I thought the whole idea of lithium polymer batteries (which is what this long-life built in is all about) was to be able to build around unusual shapes, such as the space in the case taken by the Express Card slot. But no . . . we get stuck with a not-very-useful SD card slot that doesn't even take other small card formats such as xD.
post #135 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anklosaur View Post

Sorry if this has been said but I've never really understood the need to connect a raid array to a notebook. Do you really carry the array around with you everywhere? I guess I could see it for a musician... or maybe a high end photographer, but still do you really need that much faster disk access out in the world? I'm just curious.

I think the idea is you operate entirely from the laptop without having to mess with a duplicate desktop system at home or in the studio. It's a bit frustrating to have a laptop that is powerful enough, cool-running enough, capacious enough and so on that it can replace your desktop machine . . . . and then find a crucial bottleneck for those days when you're not on the road and instead tethered to the server and backup drives, and wanting the full bandwidth they offer.

But Apple leaves 15 inch MacBook Pro users with no ultra-high-bandwidth raid due to the impossibility of using eSATA without Express Card. Gigabit Ethernet and FW800 aren't bad, but not in the same league. In practice it won't matter for stills photographers but for people shooting video I think it could be very frustrating. It seems you either lug the 17 inch around, or else punt.

Adding insult to injury is the fact that only a single card slot is provided. Not only is there no CF slot -- which remains the medium of choice for serious cameras -- but the SD slot provided does not also support xD and Memory Stick, unlike the vast majority of compact SD card readers.
post #136 of 239
Is Apple using the T or P series CPU's in the Macbook Pro 15 and 17?

For example:

2.66 Ghz - T9550 or P8800

2.8 Ghz - P9700 or T9600
post #137 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

I can't believe that people are actually surprised (and even disappointed) that there is no B-R option in the new MBP. The surprise would have been if it was included!

As a viewing/consumer option, a laptop is a poor way to go (especially a laptop with less than 1920x1080 resolution). On the pro side, there is no noise whatsoever being made from apple about support for B-R in it's pro-apps.


There's no doubt that a laptop isn't a great way to watch a movie. I mainly want a BD drive because I haven't purchased a DVD for the better part of a decade, and I own over 200 BluRay movies, not to mention that I have a lot of HD video that I want to offload.
post #138 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

There's no doubt that a laptop isn't a great way to watch a movie. I mainly want a BD drive because I haven't purchased a DVD for the better part of a decade, and I own over 200 BluRay movies, not to mention that I have a lot of HD video that I want to offload.

That's fair enough that you have a use for one, but there are no indications from apple that they are going to include it anytime soon. I just found it amusing that a great deal of this thread was centred on a feature that - let's not kid ourselves - was never going to come.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #139 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Netflix reported millions of it's customers use it's streaming service. While about half a million rent BD.

Have you seen the streaming service? It's not great. The people who used to buy 8 hour tapes and copy four movies like it.

Still, BD usage is growing faster.
post #140 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Well for some of us it imposes changes in how OS X behaves with media content and license issues from Apple's perspective.

What if the DRM changes affect my ability to access media content in other applications? Blu-ray is designed for large screen viewing with good sound systems attached. You have a vast minority of people asking for a feature that could have deleterious effects to the majority.

If Blu-ray comes it'll come for a Mac Pro first.

Whatever is going to happen, is going to happen. This will just delay it a bit while giving the rest of us some frustration.
post #141 of 239
Wonderful. They have decided to make the battery not easily replaceable and they canned the Expresscard slot.

Now we have an expensive Macbook. Still no high end video cards and it's still too expensive, but much better in price than it used to be. It's too bad they canned features that many pros want; ExpressCard for storage, audio cards etc and user replaceable batteries. These are essential features for pro users; like for the ability to use eSATA, SAS or other RAID arrays or replace a battery in the field.

Wasting away the Expresscard slot for a stupid SD card reader was a DUMB idea. Have BOTH on ALL models. It's not that more expensive to add Expresscard. If I can get Expresscard/54 on my $329 HP Mini 2140 that I just bought, then there is no reason why it shouldn't be found on EVERY apple laptop.

If my $329 netbook has these two essential features and a $2000 Macbook Pro doesn't then there's something wrong with this picture....

I should have to pa $2700 to get ExpressCard. I shouldn't have to buy an outdated Macbook Pro ALuminum to get a true replaceable battery.
post #142 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

Ya know... i've been a member here and a mac user for a long damn time, and most of the time i'm on top of things... i apologize if i wasn't keeping up this time. I do have a thing called a LIFE and so I've been real busy.

Just wasn't paying attention.

Many of us, myself included have bought an apple product, right before a major upgrade. Go easy dude.


9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #143 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Have you seen the streaming service? It's not great. The people who used to buy 8 hour tapes and copy four movies like it.

Still, BD usage is growing faster.

Netflix works great for me. I have the roku box.
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #144 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Netflix works great for me. I have the roku box.

Depends on your expectations.
post #145 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Depends on your expectations.

Well its free. And the screen quality is great. And i also watch on my laptop.
But alas the movie's are old.
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #146 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Shame about the expresscard slot. I guess I'm glad I bought the USB version of most of my stuff. Kinda lame though...my 10" netbook has an expresscard slot.

I agree, I cant believe they remove the ExpressCard slot from the 15" MacBook Pro. I have the previous model with a eSata and a multicard reader. I would not exchange these 2 cards for a simple SD card slot.
post #147 of 239
SD is winning the memory card war. Perhaps they see that as the removable storage solution for the fully solid-state consumer machines they'll be offering in a few years and want to get people ready for the transition? Optical drives and spinning hard disks are on their way out. BluRay will never exceed DVD's market share.
Prosecutors will be violated
Reply
Prosecutors will be violated
Reply
post #148 of 239
THAT'S AWESOME !!! Lower prices, faster MBP !
I was always worrying about two NVIDIA's,
because they have nearly the same power,
but two is twice expensive than one !
4GB RAM ! Increased battery life !

I'm starting saving for 1699$ MBP right now !
post #149 of 239
I'm trying to pick whether this post is sarcastic LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFinder View Post

THAT'S AWESOME !!! Lower prices, faster MBP !
I was always worrying about two NVIDIA's,
because they have nearly the same power,
but two is twice expensive than one !
4GB RAM ! Increased battery life !

I'm starting saving for 1699$ MBP right now !
post #150 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

My brother ordered the previous 15" only last week and he hasn't even received it yet! The thing is he ordered a BTO with a 7200 RPM hard drive. What are the chances he can get the new version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Tell him not to open it and he should be able to return it without paying a restocking fee.

Totally true. Personally, it's a wash for me with the ed. discount, so I don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post

They are really hobbling the 15 inch Macbook Pro. Overall, it seems great; better memory capacities, better hard drive capacities, better display, lower price.

But no Express Card support means no eSATA; and the ongoing lack of a matte display option means a literal headache for a lot of people. I think many people who need power AND portability are going to be very upset at having to either buy the 17 or else punt.

I thought the whole idea of lithium polymer batteries (which is what this long-life built in is all about) was to be able to build around unusual shapes, such as the space in the case taken by the Express Card slot. But no . . . we get stuck with a not-very-useful SD card slot that doesn't even take other small card formats such as xD.

They dropped it because their research told them people don't care. Period. Obviously "pros" don't care, either...not as a group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Many of us, myself included have bought an apple product, right before a major upgrade. Go easy dude.


9

Exactly. I bought one because my 2006 MBP suffered a HDD failure. I wanted a new machine anyway, so I figured I'd replace the drive and sell it on ebay to offset the cost. I also needed a machine right away. I apparently wasn't paying attention though. I didn't realize that it had been several months since the intro of the "old new" MBP. I almost lost my shit when I saw the AI headline last night. I paid $2299 for mine. For $2099, I get a much better machine with a 300GB more storage, 10% faster processor, SD slot and better battery. My own fault I guess. It's worse then when I bought a G5 iMac three weeks before the intels were intro'd .
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #151 of 239
Here's something that maybe a lot of people haven't considered. Yesterday's laptop announcements will impact Mac Mini sales. I was looking to upgrade my mini to better accommodate editing the HD video that I can now shoot with my new camera. It was an easy decision to do so by way of buying a new mac mini maxed out with the faster processor and 4 gigs of RAM. But that was before Apple offered laptops that are not that much more expensive speced out comparably and with an option to get even better hardware for more cash.

In Canada, for example, if you max out a mini, the price tag before taxes is $1,357, including a wired keyboard and mouse. You end up with a 2.26Ghz Core 2 and 4 gigs of RAM. The MacBook Pro 13", in comparison, now checks in at $1,639 speced more or less the same (same processor, same memory, same hard drive) which, really, is a bargain for adding portability. And on top of that, it's possible to wind up with a significantly faster 13" MacBook Pro for not much more money whereas the mini tops out as described above. Maxed out (not including a $1,200 doubling of RAM), a 13" MacBook Pro retails here for $1,929 and that's for a 2.53Ghz processor and a 500GB hard drive.

So now as it stands, you can spend a really modest amount more to add portability to what a top-end mini would offer or opt for a more powerful alternative, which is simply not possible via a mini.

Seems to me this means, probably, that the mini will have to either be tweaked – lower prices, better specs, maybe a combination thereof - or Apple really does intend to pull the plug on the mini line. I can't see it as a viable product for enough consumers to soldier on largely unaffected by changes in the pricing of the laptops on which it's based. There is no excuse for Apple to sell a MacBook for $1,369 with similar specs to a mini that will set you back $1,357. The advantage of the mini is a slightly faster processor (very slightly) and firewire. That pales in comparison to what the MacBook offers as a laptop considering a $12 price difference.

My guess is that Apple will announce changes to the mIni very soon but with little fanfare, mainly because it would have been kind of odd to lump in the mini with all those laptop announcements. If that fails to happen, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what the mini's future will be.
post #152 of 239
Don't know guys/gals. Looks like a good update to me. Dropping the Express Card wasn't a bad thing. Not many use them and that standard is going away since it cost a lot less to make USB which works on everything. eSATA might be a little tougher but if you bought an EXC for that, then you probably have a MBP that has one not the other way around. The speed bumps won't make much of a difference if you have one either, just new buyers.

Bumping Ram across the board to 4gb, smart. Dropping the price, smart. Leaving out the 9600m graphics, not bad because the 9400m does amaziling well. I know one person who complained about the 9400m being default and having to log out and back in to run his 30"... He forgot to do this and called me screaming about how WELL it worked. He hasn't switched since. Not sure what the comparisons are between the 9400m and 9600m but to him they can't be far enough off to require the login to activate it.

As for moving the 13" AL into the pro line, DUH.

Looks like they did this whole update and roundup to combat those MS Commercials.

I liked what I saw with everything else, could care less about the iPhones anymore.

I ordered 3 MBP's last week on Wed, but was told they wouldn't ship until today... They were the 2.4ghz base models. I curious to see what shows up. Already did the RMA's on all 3 but we'll see.
post #153 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Here's something that maybe a lot of people haven't considered. Yesterday's laptop announcements will impact Mac Mini sales. I was looking to upgrade my mini to better accommodate editing the HD video that I can now shoot with my new camera. It was an easy decision to do so by way of buying a new mac mini maxed out with the faster processor and 4 gigs of RAM. But that was before Apple offered laptops that are not that much more expensive speced out comparably and with an option to get even better hardware for more cash.

In Canada, for example, if you max out a mini, the price tag before taxes is $1,357, including a wired keyboard and mouse. You end up with a 2.26Ghz Core 2 and 4 gigs of RAM. The MacBook Pro 13", in comparison, now checks in at $1,639 speced more or less the same (same processor, same memory, same hard drive) which, really, is a bargain for adding portability. And on top of that, it's possible to wind up with a significantly faster 13" MacBook Pro for not much more money whereas the mini tops out as described above. Maxed out (not including a $1,200 doubling of RAM), a 13" MacBook Pro retails here for $1,929 and that's for a 2.53Ghz processor and a 500GB hard drive.

So now as it stands, you can spend a really modest amount more to add portability to what a top-end mini would offer or opt for a more powerful alternative, which is simply not possible via a mini.

Seems to me this means, probably, that the mini will have to either be tweaked lower prices, better specs, maybe a combination thereof - or Apple really does intend to pull the plug on the mini line. I can't see it as a viable product for enough consumers to soldier on largely unaffected by changes in the pricing of the laptops on which it's based. There is no excuse for Apple to sell a MacBook for $1,369 with similar specs to a mini that will set you back $1,357. The advantage of the mini is a slightly faster processor (very slightly) and firewire. That pales in comparison to what the MacBook offers as a laptop considering a $12 price difference.

My guess is that Apple will announce changes to the mIni very soon but with little fanfare, mainly because it would have been kind of odd to lump in the mini with all those laptop announcements. If that fails to happen, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what the mini's future will be.

Agree. Maybe a ram bump to the mini wouldn't have hurt the bottom line. 2gb/4gb and for heavens sake UPGRADE THE HD's! 320gb/500gb. Of course they use Fujitsu's right now and they have squat for HD's.
post #154 of 239
In advance of Bare Feats doing a comparison between the 2.8GHz and 3.06GHz, does anyone have sense of the benefit of the $300 cpu upgrade? The 3.06GHz runs hotter (35W), which in a laptop can be an issue ...
post #155 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

Agree. Maybe a ram bump to the mini wouldn't have hurt the bottom line. 2gb/4gb and for heavens sake UPGRADE THE HD's! 320gb/500gb. Of course they use Fujitsu's right now and they have squat for HD's.

What would make me happy would be the following:

Keep the current price point on the entry-level unit but spec it out with a 2.26Ghz processor, 2GB of RAM and the 320 HD currently in the top model. Then, increase the price of the top configuration a relatively small amount but go with the 2.53Ghz processor and a 500 HD, and of course 4GB of RAM, differentiating it a little more from the base machine, even at the expense of a little more difference in price.

I think being able to get a mini running the 2.53 cpu would really be to the liking of people who can't afford a Mac Pro but who need horsepower for HD video editing, etc. For some of us $3,000 Cdn. for a computer is just too expensive and in addition the Mac Pro tower is overkill in terms of expandability unless you're really into some pro-calibre work. HD video editing is very demanding and a lot of us are now shooting 1080P video. But it doesn't mean that someone like me would need four HD bays, etc. A nicely equipped mini would be just the thing.

I sure hope Apple goes that route, rather than kill the mini off, otherwise there's a laptop in my future. The Mac Pro tower, realistically, is just not an option.
post #156 of 239
So the 17" MacBook Pro has an ExpressCard/34 extension card slot, instead of a SD slot (like the 15.4" MacBook Pro). Can I use a SD card in the ExpressCard/34 slot? If so, do I need a special SD card adapter to use this slot for a SD card? Thanks.
post #157 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakesey View Post

So the 17" MacBook Pro has an ExpressCard/34 extension card slot, instead of a SD slot (like the 15.4" MacBook Pro). Can I use a SD card in the ExpressCard/34 slot? If so, do I need a special SD card adapter to use this slot for a SD card? Thanks.

Sure, there are adapters. Check out the Google page to find some:

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
post #158 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Sure, there are adapters. Check out the Google page to find some:

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

So, I do need a special adapter? I cannot just use a SD card as is?
post #159 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

Glossy screens and built-in batteries = Apple shares tanking $5 on the news.

Wonder if they are going to give the public what they want any time soon?

The glossy screens is a mistake but what could you possibly have against two additional hours of battery life? Not only does the built-in battery allow for more charge cycles, it will require recharging less often which means the battery will last even longer. Odds are the hard drive will go long before the battery does.

Apple is offering to do away with the expense of buying a battery for your laptop every couple of years (if not sooner) and you treat it like it's a problem.

As for the stock tanking, every time Wall Street sells off Apple stock, we have people running around in a panic declaring, "The sky is falling. The sky is falling." Wall Street types are generally too narrow in their thinking to have a clue what Apple is up to. Also, the stock always runs up in anticipation of what will be announced at major events only to have those speculators sell off a little right after. It's inevitable and it amounts to sound and fury signifying nothing.

Apple is a great success story specifically because it doesn't do what everybody else does yet every time they innovate some are quick to criticize. I welcome the battery innovation. It's just the sort of thing Apple does better than any other manufacturer.

If that sort of top-grade engineering is a problem for you, there are lots of companies out there serving up inferior products, albeit at bargain prices, who are quick to give people what they want, even if what they want is inferior to what a company can deliver.
post #160 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Apple is offering to do away with the expense of buying a battery for your laptop every couple of years (if not sooner) and you treat it like it's a problem.

Come on, do batteries really fail that quickly for most people?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple unveils faster, more affordable MacBook Pros