or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple debuts speedier iPhone 3G S with built-in video camera

Apple debuts speedier iPhone 3G S with built-in video camera - Page 4

post #121 of 264
Oh man I really like what Apple has done with the iPhone platform. I want a 32GB iPhone so bad! I really hope fido carries it, but I'm thinking Rogers is gonna take it and leave fido with only the 8gb model that I already have. In an ideal world fido gets the 16 and 32gb ones as well, I get a 32 and give my old 8 to my gf and call it a day.

Anyone know why voice dialing seems to be an iPhone 3GS feature and not a OS 3.0 feature? That kind of sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #122 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotheJOBman View Post

i personally feel the blackberry kicks the i phones ass!!
i mean waht respectable adult uses an iphone for work.. and bbm! you can not even compare... also whats up with "looped" was steve jobs a stalker?!

If I was Blackberry, I'd be deeply embarrassed to have a user like you (that loves my product) sing my praises.
post #123 of 264
I don't see why no one has suggested that this is an interim upgrade to get the OS 3.0 out on upgraded hardware guts, while leaving upgraded exterior for a later date (this year). I think Apple will wait maybe 3-6 more months and then upgrade again, once the kinks have been worked out in the OS.
post #124 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Know which way you are facing?

GPS shows you where you are. Compass shows you where you are pointed. Full functionality of turn by turn directions are not possible without both components.

if you have gps AND a compass AND you're parked on the side, the program will know to tell you drive forward if your facing the right direction, or make a U turn if you're facing the wrong direction.

right now it can do that only if you are moving.
post #125 of 264
I'm pretty sure AT&T reps do not know what the upgrade path to the new iPhone will be. That is what I was told when I called. All upgrade info you are getting from their site refers to the current iPhone.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
post #126 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Great first post. You make me look good.

"Better," perhaps. I'll wait a little while longer before passing judgement.
post #127 of 264
I went ahead and reserved a black 32GB iPhone 3G S for pickup at my local store on the 19 (the day before my wedding ).

I've had a 32GB iPod touch 1G and a 32GB iPod touch 2G. It's now time to finally step into the realm of iPhones
post #128 of 264
Quote:

Doesn't sound like you have any loyalty to them. Why should they reward your lack of loyalty?

What?? Exactly how am I not being loyal? *** fanboy.. Jesus, you really defend their practices?EDIT: Don't do that again.
post #129 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I went ahead and reserved a black 32GB iPhone 3G S for pickup at my local store on the 19 (the day before my wedding ).

I am sure the compass will come in handy.
post #130 of 264
This end-of-contract thing is a test from god, can I wait out for 6 months ffs, I can't see me doing it.

Does anyone know if Tom Tom will work on the 3G (not 3GS)? Their website says iPhone 3G.
post #131 of 264
Let me get this straight. I can only upgrade at subsidized price if I wait 1 year since my iPhone 3G purchase?
I bought mine around August 8, 2008, so if I go to the Apple store August 9, 2009 I can get a 3GS 32gig for $299? and add one additional year to my current AT&T plan?
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
post #132 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonklers View Post

if you have gps AND a compass AND you're parked on the side, the program will know to tell you drive forward if your facing the right direction, or make a U turn if you're facing the wrong direction.

right now it can do that only if you are moving.

Thank you for restating what I said and adding nothing
post #133 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrofan View Post

Some trivial questions:
I have a jailbroken iphone 3G that records video with cycorder; if it can do it why doesn't apple support it on OS3.0?? -->> TO SELL US AN IPHONE 3GS

No, it's because it can't do good video.

I've seen cycorder's output. It sucks. It doesn't do 30 fps, doesn't do decent resolution. It looks like ass. Homemade ass, at that. 6-15 fps, 384x288? You want that kind of video, go jailbreak. You won. Celebrate. You have successfully put one over on Apple. I suggest a good cigar and an expensive companion for the evening.

The whole, "Apple could have put video capture into [iPhone 3G, iPhone OSx.xx, iPod Touch, iPod nano, etc.] meme needs to die, now. Cycorder is a lousy counterexample.
post #134 of 264
Quote:

I've had a 32GB iPod touch 1G and a 32GB iPod touch 2G. It's now time to finally step into the realm of iPhones

Your wife is going to be so pleased that she gets to spend the first couple days of your honeymoon watching you play with the compass
post #135 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

What?? Exactly how am I not being loyal? Dipshit fanboy.. Jesus, you really defend their practices?

Uh yeah, by ranting and raving on a message board about how terrible they are? I bet your wife wouldn't be too impressed with your behavior if you were talking about her instead of ATT, right?
post #136 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

what happened to the 64gig Touch, And the Touch with a camera. Plus that Badass Matte Black finish and no chrome. that was slick looking.

The iPod family is updated in September... in September a 64GB iPod touch with camera is likey, I'd love a GPS and microphone in it too as there are so many apps that lever these features.
post #137 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugy View Post

Let me get this straight. I can only upgrade at subsidized price if I wait 1 year since my iPhone 3G purchase?
I bought mine around August 8, 2008, so if I go to the Apple store August 9, 2009 I can get a 3GS 32gig for $299? and add one additional year to my current AT&T plan?

No one here knows. If you want an answer, your best bet it to wait about a week and then go into an ATT store and ask.
post #138 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr1882 View Post

Why wouldnt they??? They would just have locked me in for another 2 years instead of the 1 year I have now.... That's $1500 in their pockets for the extra year of service.

That depends on how much net profit they are getting from the iPhone in a year after the subsidization. The exclusivity isnt cheap. The benefit for AT&T is that every iPhone has a data plan attached to it and if they think a buy may jump to another carrier if they cant get the upgrade eligible price after 12 full months then it may behoove them to allow this option for iPhone 3G users. Its all about the best way to turn a profit.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #139 of 264
this thread brings the lulz... as threads on this site always do when talking about cell phones.. I swear you people act like you've never bought a phone before and don't understand subsidizing at all. how did you get by before the iphone? I'll explain it... again:

the original iphone was unsubsidized (AT&T gave you nothing to buy the phone) this made the phone more expensive ($600) but the plans were cheaper because AT&T didn't need to recoup any costs.

the iphone 3G was subsidized ($200) which means AT&T pitched in the other $400 for the phone to get more customers. However AT&T needs to recoup that money, so they charge you $20 more per month, which means over the course of 2 years, they recoup their money plus interest ($480... 24months * 20 bucks). This extra 80 bucks over two years is why AT&T allowed people how had the first gen iphone upgrade for cheap. They now were able to lock you in for 2 years and charge you more per month and get an extra 80 bucks out of you over 2 years.

Now everyone who has an iphone 3G at the most has had the phone 11 months. AT&T has only recouped $220 from you from the $400 they pitched in for you to get the phone. Why would they then pitch in another $400 for you to get the new phone? If you want the new phone, AT&T is saying, okay, but you are bringing your own $400 this time.

hopefully this explains everything to people who have apparently never purchased a cellphone before or never signed a contract.
post #140 of 264
Well sadly I think apple have lost the war on the smartphone Market. They needed figures to impress the ignerant consumer. I was thinking of upgrading my 16gb 3g but I don't see a real need the new features are nice but not needed for me. The software both os3 and Osx WOW impressed. MacBooks 7hours battey life suits me so really the only dissapointment is the iPhone "upgrade" wanted a higher resolution screen HD Video, thinner, maybe a bit of a redesign but there you go
post #141 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugy View Post

http://i.gizmodo.com/5283568/real-co...than-you-think

apparently if you upgrade before your first year is up, then you pay $200 extra for the new iphone. if you wait till your 1st year is up then you pay $100 extra. if you wait till your 2yr contract is up, then you can get it for the advertised price.
post #142 of 264
I think everyone should take note that this iPhone is officially snappier Just check out the guided tour posted on this thread and on Apple.com - 1:35 in, they tout how it really will be snappier this time
post #143 of 264
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
post #144 of 264
Not worth upgrading at all.
No OLED, no higher resolution, no faster CPU, no bigger RAM, no new look, only 3MP camera.
Any words on the CPU and RAM?
Safari will remain crippled until bigger RAM.
Also, they better change the exterior soon.
It's normal for the look of a notebook to last more than 1 year but this is a phone, man.
post #145 of 264
Quote:

Your wife is going to be so pleased that she gets to spend the first couple days of your honeymoon watching you play with the compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I am sure the compass will come in handy.

I'm thinking the 30 fps video recording and voice commands may be of more use

"Start recording now"
post #146 of 264
Quote:

I don't see why no one has suggested that this is an interim upgrade to get the OS 3.0 out on upgraded hardware guts, while leaving upgraded exterior for a later date (this year). I think Apple will wait maybe 3-6 more months and then upgrade again, once the kinks have been worked out in the OS.

I think the same thing.

Proof

1. apples own slides state the iphone 3gs now supposrts opengl 2.0 and opengl2.0 es

2. States its 2x faster and when asked wont tell specs but still tell you its 2x faster.

3. new ipod touch hardware hasnt been show.

I think they will show a new faster ipod touch and release the specs. Will then say oh by the way the iphone 3gs also has the upgraded specs.

Also thats why they could be not saying the iphone 3gs specs because they want to announce that when they announce a new ipod touch.
post #147 of 264
Quote:

what happened to the 64gig Touch, And the Touch with a camera. Plus that Badass Matte Black finish and no chrome. that was slick looking.

word!
post #148 of 264
Hey folks. Take a breathe and do so reading

As stated on Apple's iPhone 3GS page at http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/:

Price: 16 GB is $199 and 32 GB @$299 which Requires new two-year AT&T wireless service contract, sold separately to qualified customers; credit check required; must be 18 or older. For non-qualified customers, including existing AT&T customers who want to upgrade from another phone or replace an iPhone 3G, the price with a new two-year agreement is $499 (8GB), $599 (16GB), or $699 (32GB).

Visit www.wireless.att.com for eligibility information.

Service may not be available in all areas or at the signal strength, rates, speeds, or bandwidth as demonstrated. Wi-Fi Internet access required for some features; broadband recommended; fees may apply.

Some applications, features, and services are not available in all areas. Visit www.wireless.att.com to check AT&T network coverage in your area.

iPhone is configured to work only with wireless service provided by AT&T. Warranty information available at www.apple.com/legal/warranty/iphone. When available, transferring your mobile number to a different service provider will terminate your service with your existing provider; termination fees and other charges may apply. Some features may require added fees. Contact your service provider for more details.
post #149 of 264
Quote:

Aren't iPods normally announced in the fall?
post #150 of 264
apple never announces iphone specs (ram/cpu) we have to wait till they hit stores and for ifixit to report on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

I think the same thing.

Proof

1. apples own slides state the iphone 3gs now supposrts opengl 2.0 and opengl2.0 es

2. States its 2x faster and when asked wont tell specs but still tell you its 2x faster.

I think they will show a new faster ipod touch and release the specs. Will then say oh by the way the iphone 3gs also has the upgraded specs.

Also thats why they could be not saying the iphone 3gs specs because they want to announce that when they announce a new ipod touch.
post #151 of 264
so is "voice dialing" part of hardware 3gs or 3.0 update?
do i get my voice dialing???
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #152 of 264
Check it out in the video demo!
post #153 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

3GS hardware
post #154 of 264
So now that I'm coming to the end of my original 2 year contract, will AT&T or Apple unlock it for me so that I may roam internationally with it?
Probably not.
post #155 of 264
Quote:

so when to expect new itouch--macrumors says "imminent" don't buy
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #156 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUOp View Post

Not worth upgrading at all.
No OLED, no higher resolution, no faster CPU, no bigger RAM, no new look, only 3MP camera.
Any words on the CPU and RAM?
Safari will remain crippled until bigger RAM.
Also, they better change the exterior soon.
It's normal for the look of a notebook to last more than 1 year but this is a phone, man.

**NEWS FLASH****

It's not for you!

***END NEWS FLASH***
post #157 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

3GS hardware

that sucks, i need to figure out a reasonable solution, kensington has a BT carkit with 3 presets, sony in feb planned a carkit that had built in fm transmitter, and 5 presets
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #158 of 264
Quote:

Absolutely! Right around the time that back-to-school pricing ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

I think the same thing.

Proof

Apple is usually like this. They dont bog the consumer down with all the technical details. Well probably have to wait for iFixit to tear it apart before we know for sure, but I imagine that the same Palm Pre CPU and 256MB RAM will be included.

If they arent announcing it now expecting to say, By the way, the current iPhone has a 600MHz ARMv7 OMAP Cortex-A8" in mid-September is unlikely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

That is a good question. It may be like the on-phones controls with the current iPhone but this seems like it may already be included. I hope so.
post #159 of 264
hmm 3GS = 3rd Generation Speed
will there be a 3GTS for 3rd Generation Tethering Speed
or a 3GTRS for 3rd Generation Tethering Reversible-camera Speed?

I mentioned to the wife that I would have to get the new one if it has tethering and everything else that had been predicted really happens. So she asked if she gets my old one.

Now I gotta figure out how to upgrade my original iPhone to 3GS.
Replace her -non-smart phone - with my original iPhone (without data plan - thinking just plug her SIM card into the old iPhone).
Drop my 3G notebook card.

Oh wait - no tethering. Maybe someone could write an app - or make a hardware plugin - than enables internet connection sharing - the reverse of what you might do on a notebook with both WiFi and 3G card.

The notebook card and her phone are not eligible for upgrade for a while - but looks like my original iPhone is - 32GB iPhone 3GS for $299 = sweet.
post #160 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

"Better," perhaps. I'll wait a little while longer before passing judgement.

Ok.
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple debuts speedier iPhone 3G S with built-in video camera