or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple debuts speedier iPhone 3G S with built-in video camera
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple debuts speedier iPhone 3G S with built-in video camera - Page 7

post #241 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

There has to be a hardware change. Apple stated they added opel gl /es 2.0 support . So you would need new video processing support for that.

So I am guessing that the hardware in the iphone 3gs was changed but they are waiting till they can refresh the ipod touch to announce the changes.

They arent. Apple rarely talks up the technical aspects unless they are marketing-capable among the masses. We didnt know much about the first two iPhones until they were dissected by iFixit et al. We will know well before the next iPod Touch update in September and they surely wont be stating the CPU and GPU specs at that time.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #242 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Are they worth it? I was thinking about them when they came out and saw they didn't really work with my 2G iPhone and said heck w/ it...

I think so, as I like the controls on the headphone cable but Apples cartilage reshaping earbuds. The headphones, mic obviously work and the controls work just as well as your other headphones. For the price they sound good, but they could use some more bass. Since I cant get in-ear phones from other vendors that control the iPod app I will surely be sticking with them in the future.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #243 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk Fan 2 View Post

You are a dumb blind sheep. It's the same fricking case with a compass.
Quit defending Apple with no basis.

You don't know what the RAM is, You don't know what processor it uses, you don't know what the real world battery use is.

It's the same fricking case with a compass as far as you know.

That's all it is until you have the specs on the phone. Yes it is just a phone (with a compass).

I get lost hiking all the time, this is going to be a great feature for me.

I lost my phone, I pay Apple $99 for mobile vista and I can erase it. That is wrong.
If I lost my phone I should be able to call AT&T and say stop service and wipe my phone I have personal data on it.

The 3GS is a joke for an upgrade and the upgrade cost is a joke as well for those that have been faithful to apple since day 1 of the iPhone.

Clearly, you are jumping the gun in light of actual facts presented. What part of longer battery life and support for 7.2Mbps was not clear to you? Did you also missed the use of auto-focus camera and increase to 3 mega pixels with video recording? These are the new hardware in the iPhone 3GS. All you focused on was the compass. You need to work on your reading comprehension.
post #244 of 264
Anyone else notice how the "AT&T" is gone from the status bar?
post #245 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyvolcom View Post

Anyone else notice how the "AT&T" is gone from the status bar?

Where are you seeing this?

EDIT: I'm guessing you're referring to the pictures in the AI article. That's because AT&T is just the US carrier for a phone that Apple sells and advertises globally.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #246 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Well the 3Gs is enough to get me to upgrade from my 2G (like what they say on cnet). If you don't have an iPhone or you have a 2G it's a worthwhile upgrade - if you have a 3G it probably isn't until the price comes down but, at least for me personally, I'm planning on sticking to the 2 year refresh rate just as I did with my old cell phone.

Ditto. My only fear is that a bigger cosmetic change will be made next summer and I'll want it. D'oh!

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #247 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Where are you seeing this?

EDIT: I'm guessing you're referring to the pictures in the AI article. That's because AT&T is just the US carrier for a phone that Apple sells and advertises globally.

Oh, that's right. I see it on the AT&T website now. lol
post #248 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

Ditto. My only fear is that a bigger cosmetic change will be made next summer and I'll want it. D'oh!

Well if we can hold off from getting the 3G from the 2G we should be able to wait until 2011 when they'll *possibly* begin rolling out the 4G capable iPhones (although it'll probably be 2012 or later until AT&T has it in your area (at best)).
post #249 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Well if we can hold off from getting the 3G from the 2G we should be able to wait until 2011 when they'll *possibly* begin rolling out the 4G capable iPhones (although it'll probably be 2012 or later until AT&T has it in your area (at best)).

Because 7.2 Mb/s isn't fast enough
post #250 of 264
If holding the Home button get you to voice control, what happened to holding the Home button removing apps and changing the screen layout? DId I miss something?
post #251 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

If holding the Home button get you to voice control, what happened to holding the Home button removing apps and changing the screen layout? DId I miss something?

You’re going to be a bit embarrassed.

You hold down an app on the screen to get the “wiggle started so you can move and delete them. When you are done you click the Home button.

Note: The Voice Control does not work in the original or current version.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #252 of 264
It's about time for video capability. Even Blackberry has it!
post #253 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You’re going to be a bit embarrassed.

You hold down an app on the screen to get the “wiggle started so you can move and delete them. When you are done you click the Home button.

Note: The Voice Control does not work in the original or current version.

Ooops. I confused forced quit with changing the layout LOL

Holding Home for few seconds force quit the current app in all iPhone models.
post #254 of 264
delete please
post #255 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Ooops. I confused forced quit with changing the layout LOL

Holding Home for few seconds force quit the current app in all iPhone models.

oh right, good point, hmm...
post #256 of 264
What does BlackBerry have to do with the iPhone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhoneAddict View Post

It's about time for video capability. Even Blackberry has it!
post #257 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

What does BlackBerry have to do with the iPhone?

beecauze it is a thing that u can hold en your hand and make phone cals with and do things with just liek the iphone can does.
post #258 of 264
That's an extremely simplistic view of the reality. All smartphone platforms are created by different groups of people and through patents they are not allowed to directly copy each others work. Simply because one phone can perform a function and more importantly perform that function well, does not mean that another phone should be able to just as easily perform that same function. Every time a smartphone maker adds a new function in some ways they've had to reinvent the wheel to make it work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

beecauze it is a thing that u can hold en your hand and make phone cals with and do things with just liek the iphone can does.
post #259 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

That's an extremely simplistic view of the reality. All smartphone platforms are created by different groups of people and through patents they are not allowed to directly copy each others work. Simply because one phone can perform a function and more importantly perform that function well, does not mean that another phone should be able to just as easily perform that same function. Every time a smartphone maker adds a new function in some ways they've had to reinvent the wheel to make it work.

It's no more simplistic than fawning over features that other phones have had for years and acting like its revolutionary simply because Apple says its so. If the iPhone had to stand on its merits alone it might not do as well, however with Apple and its very good hype machine, features that others manufactures have had for years and years suddenly become new with the iPhone. The sad this is people actually fall for the hype. It will be very interesting to see what happens on June 20th with the so-called S version. Personally I do not think it will sell as well as the original 3G, but you can fool some of the people some of the time but you can fool iPhone iBoys all of the time.
post #260 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

It's no more simplistic than fawning over features that other phones have had for years and acting like its revolutionary simply because Apple says its so. If the iPhone had to stand on its merits alone it might not do as well, however with Apple and its very good hype machine, features that others manufactures have had for years and years suddenly become new with the iPhone. The sad this is people actually fall for the hype. It will be very interesting to see what happens on June 20th with the so-called S version. Personally I do not think it will sell as well as the original 3G, but you can fool some of the people some of the time but you can fool iPhone iBoys all of the time.

You better hope that, say, Nokia isn't this stupid, because they'll get their ass handed to them if they proceed on the assumption that the iPhone's popularity is based on "hype" and "fanboys."

Personally, I'm astonished that anyone is still clinging to the "features" argument, even after the iPhone has so clearly demonstrated that what people want is ease of use and seemless integration. The kind that Nokia has failed to deliver after many years in the cell phone biz, instead electing to lard their "flagship" handsets with ever more features and hardware specs and and bullet point check list completers, all at the service of an ever more out of date feeling OS.

For what it's worth, I'm not seeing anyone acting like any particular feature on the iPhone is "revolutionary"-- rather the general idea is that the combination of UI, OS, form factor, ease of use, access to applications and media and just general polish is what is revolutionary.

But by all means keep that straw man alive-- if Apple's competitors can't see past it (and so far, oustide of the Pre and to a lesser extent Android, they don't seem to be able to), it'll be smooth sailing for the iPhone.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #261 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

You better hope that, say, Nokia isn't this stupid, because they'll get their ass handed to them if they proceed on the assumption that the iPhone's popularity is based on "hype" and "fanboys."

Personally, I'm astonished that anyone is still clinging to the "features" argument, even after the iPhone has so clearly demonstrated that what people want is ease of use and seemless integration. The kind that Nokia has failed to deliver after many years in the cell phone biz, instead electing to lard their "flagship" handsets with ever more features and hardware specs and and bullet point check list completers, all at the service of an ever more out of date feeling OS.

For what it's worth, I'm not seeing anyone acting like any particular feature on the iPhone is "revolutionary"-- rather the general idea is that the combination of UI, OS, form factor, ease of use, access to applications and media and just general polish is what is revolutionary.

But by all means keep that straw man alive-- if Apple's competitors can't see past it (and so far, oustide of the Pre and to a lesser extent Android, they don't seem to be able to), it'll be smooth sailing for the iPhone.

Nooooooo. The CEO of Nokia paid all due respect to Apple and the iPhone. He was correct in his assessment. He admitted that Nokia had missed the mark in some respects. You are almost correct in the part about the flagship being feature laden. With the N97 Nokia decided to go with good hardware as opposed to the latest and greatest like Samsung. Nokia decided to build out the Symbian OS and migrate it toward the Open Source versions that are in the pipeline. The hardcore Nokia fans are having shit hemorrhages because Nokia went with proven hardware and optimized code for the N97. After playing with the N97 for a while, I can say it is very iPhone like and will get better with the next iteration. Ovi, in my opinion is a disaster in progress but has the potential to excel once they decide to take the Finns out of the UI picture. Finns can make many great things, UI's are not one of them. The Ovi Store has a shaky start but from the look of it, things have smoothed out and with the store/phone/payment integration it is actually pretty smooth and transparent. Not harder than purchasing from the Apple App Store. This I call even in functionality.
post #262 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Nooooooo. The CEO of Nokia paid all due respect to Apple and the iPhone. He was correct in his assessment. He admitted that Nokia had missed the mark in some respects. You are almost correct in the part about the flagship being feature laden. With the N97 Nokia decided to go with good hardware as opposed to the latest and greatest like Samsung. Nokia decided to build out the Symbian OS and migrate it toward the Open Source versions that are in the pipeline. The hardcore Nokia fans are having shit hemorrhages because Nokia went with proven hardware and optimized code for the N97. After playing with the N97 for a while, I can say it is very iPhone like and will get better with the next iteration. Ovi, in my opinion is a disaster in progress but has the potential to excel once they decide to take the Finns out of the UI picture. Finns can make many great things, UI's are not one of them. The Ovi Store has a shaky start but from the look of it, things have smoothed out and with the store/phone/payment integration it is actually pretty smooth and transparent. Not harder than purchasing from the Apple App Store. This I call even in functionality.

Right. So if the CEO of Nokia is starting to get it, so should you. The iPhone isn't about hype, and it isn't about features, and it isn't about fan boys mesmerized by hype to accept a crippled feature set.

It's about ease of use and doing what it does well. Apple has come close to finishing the "my phone has been able to do that all along" list, but they've done it at their own pace and with typical attention to detail.

So whether or not you think that iPhone users are delusional to celebrate functionality that you think should have been there all along, the fact is that while the iPhone has been carefully adding these things the Nokias and Windows Mobiles of the world have just been trying to figure out how to get their UIs to start to resemble the iPhone. They haven't been adding new functionality, outside of "more better" they're bascially stationary targets.

It's all about software now, and Apple is very well positioned to run that football down the field. They made a phone, right out of the gate, that made software the focus by all but elimating the perception of hardware. The phone is the screen is the UI, the UI is the phone, and the apps are what it's for.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #263 of 264
does nobody have sample images or video taken with the new iPhone yet? Nobody took some at WWDC, can't believe it!

Gizmodo apparently had some but they've been deleted...
post #264 of 264
I'm not sure if you are directing this at me but I said nothing about Apple's implementation of features as revoltionary. I think it can be said Apple's implementation of user experience is innovative. We were talking about video capture. I have not seen or heard of another phone UI that allows you to focus the image by touching the place on the picture you want in focus. Then you are able to cut and trim the video and immidiately upload it to video galleries such as Youtube and Flickr. That is innovation. It will be proven by the fact that the iPhone will be the most used phone for posting video.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

It's no more simplistic than fawning over features that other phones have had for years and acting like its revolutionary simply because Apple says its so. If the iPhone had to stand on its merits alone it might not do as well, however with Apple and its very good hype machine, features that others manufactures have had for years and years suddenly become new with the iPhone. The sad this is people actually fall for the hype. It will be very interesting to see what happens on June 20th with the so-called S version. Personally I do not think it will sell as well as the original 3G, but you can fool some of the people some of the time but you can fool iPhone iBoys all of the time.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple debuts speedier iPhone 3G S with built-in video camera