or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 3G users to pay $200 premium for early upgrade to iPhone 3G S

iPhone 3G users to pay $200 premium for early upgrade to iPhone 3G S - Page 4

post #121 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by aduzik View Post

I have never made a late payment. Ever. But, regardless, why do some people get better pricing earlier? No one seems to be able to answer that question definitively.

And no one on this site ever will be able to do so. But you can call ATT and ask them. Ready.... Go!
post #122 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozbone View Post

There's something screwy going on here ...
I have an original iPhone, bought during the first few days after it was released. I experimented with placing an order for the 3G S at the Apple site, my account was checked, and it said I have to pay full retail !! For me that's a deal killer.

Is your credit score like 300 or something? 3 months past do on a bill??
post #123 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

I wonder what AT&T's policy will be for customers who purchased an iPhone 3G just a couple weeks ago?

I would check and see if you can return it. I think if you return the phone and cancel service within 30 days of signing, you don't lose anything other than a certain initial sign-up fee. You might lose your phone number and go through the whole process again to get the new one. I would check ASAP, if the policy is 14 days then you may be close to expiration if not too late.
post #124 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

They pay more per month than you do so ATT is willing to give them some of that back. Makes you wish you weren't so stingy on the minutes don't it?

Given that I use fewer than 10% of the minutes I pay for? No. It's still cheaper to pay the higher price on the phone than the minutes. Seriously, the fact that the iPhone is a phone is largely incidental. Probably 95% of my use of the device is in Safari, Mail or an app. That's why I'd really like the iPhone 3GS for the faster processor and larger memory.
post #125 of 430
Quote:

They pay more per month than you do so ATT is willing to give them some of that back. Makes you wish you weren't so stingy on the minutes don't it?

There is some discrepancy with their system. My AT&T account has 2 iPhone 3Gs and USB card data plan. I pay $240 a month, after taxes and fees. The issue is that the whole account is tied to me, but one iPhone and data card are in my name. The other iPhone to someone else. The one iPhone that was signed up a couple weeks after mine was singed up and with a different username, even though the whole account is tied to me, has an upgrade date of 12/2009, while my phone, signed up earlier and is the primary account holder, is not eligible until 03/2010.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #126 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There is some discrepancy with their system. My AT&T account has 2 iPhone 3Gs and USB card data plan. I pay $240 a month, after taxes and fees. The issue is that the whole account is tied to me, but one iPhone and data card are in my name. The other iPhone to someone else. The one iPhone that was signed up a couple weeks after mine was singed up and with a different username, even though the whole account is tied to me, has an upgrade date of 12/2009, while my phone, signed up earlier and is the primary account holder, is not eligible until 03/2010.

I'm guessing at AT&T HQ, they have a giant dart board with various dates written on it. When you check your upgrade eligibility, they have a monkey throw a dart at the board, and whatever date it hits is when you get the discounted pricing. That's why it can take "up to 3 minutes" to access your information. That makes about as much sense as any other hypothesis I've heard.
post #127 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc OSX View Post

Apple are seriously taking the pi$$ out of UK users.

$99 against £342.50? What gives?!?!

Oh my, and here I thought the "confusion" about basic economics was limited to just Americans.
post #128 of 430
They paid AT&T a lot more money than you have, and have paid off the subsidized price of their phone.

Quote:

Then how do you explain the others who also bought their iPhones on July 12 and are eligible for discounted pricing on July 12? They've posted pictures from Apple's upgrade site that prove it. What's more, December 12, 2009 is 17 months from July 12, 2009, so even that isn't 18 months.
post #129 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

I can understand better rewards for better customers (however it's defined), but it SHOULD BE defined so we know where we stand.

Again, I ask, you surely have never run a business, have you?

You know clearly where you stand. ATT is telling you how much the product costs. Trust me, it would have cost you far more than $200 more to get into the category where they consider you a good enough customer to get early upgrade pricing.
post #130 of 430
Quote:

I have to hand it to Teckstud, hes apparently created 100s of new accounts and have been manning them all day. Relentlessly and with an unwavering focus to twist lies into truth. Impressive.

Yeah don't think nobody had noticed how many 1-10 total post count people just appeared today...
post #131 of 430
Quote:

I'm guessing at AT&T HQ, they have a giant dart board with various dates written on it. When you check your upgrade eligibility, they have a monkey throw a dart at the board, and whatever date it hits is when you get the discounted pricing. That's why it can take "up to 3 minutes" to access your information. That makes about as much sense as any other hypothesis I've heard.

I see youve worked for the same corporations I have.
post #132 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

It's like Apple and AT&T is holding a gun to their heads and forcing them to buy the new iPhone

Sadly, none of the people complaining understand how real life is different from what you described above.
post #133 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

They paid AT&T a lot more money than you have, and have paid off the subsidized price of their phone.

That makes me feel better in a sense. If I have to pay someone $200, I'd rather pay Apple for the device I like than AT&T for their terrible, terrible service. And, you can be sure those folks paid a heck of a lot more than $200 over what I've paid on their AT&T contracts to qualify for the discounted pricing.
post #134 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozbone View Post

There's something screwy going on here ...
I have an original iPhone, bought during the first few days after it was released. I experimented with placing an order for the 3G S at the Apple site, my account was checked, and it said I have to pay full retail !! For me that's a deal killer.

Either it is a mistake in their systems or you have had a very poor payment history, making you a low-valued customer to ATT. Either way, calling them should clear it up for you.
post #135 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPond317 View Post

Yeah, I upgraded my original iPhone to 3G last July, and I can upgrade to 3GS on July 25th.

I've been reading that all over the internet however, when I check mine (I waited in line 6 hours on launch day last year) it says that I'm eligible 3/11/2010. Which is NOT a year from when I purchased my phone. I hope they get all of this figured out soon enough because if I only have to wait until 7/12 then it'll be fine but I'm not waiting until March as another iPhone will certainly be on the horizon (again).
post #136 of 430
You could call and check on that, it just may be a mistake.

Quote:

post #137 of 430
Quote:

Given that I use fewer than 10% of the minutes I pay for? No. It's still cheaper to pay the higher price on the phone than the minutes. Seriously, the fact that the iPhone is a phone is largely incidental. Probably 95% of my use of the device is in Safari, Mail or an app. That's why I'd really like the iPhone 3GS for the faster processor and larger memory.

Perfect, then you have no complaints!

ATT doesn't care what percentage of your minutes you use. Your use of 100 minutes does not increase ATT's costs essentially at all. So if you have the cheapest iPhone plan with 450 minutes, and you use 45 of them, you only use 10% of the minutes. But you only pay them $70 for it. Now, if you had 2000 minutes which I think would cost $140 with the iPhone, and you use 1999 minutes, you'd make ATT FAR more profit than you currently do, and they'd be far more likely to give you a deal.

Fixed costs are a bitch....
post #138 of 430
Quote:

I'm sure it's just a mistake. Quick phone call would get you the earlier pricing.

I'm eligible 10/1/09 btw - I didn't get the 2G until August and the 3G until Sept, because who has the time to wait in line all day? Don't most people make more than $200 in a day's work?
post #139 of 430
AT&T is Awful....bad service, "Less Bars in Less Places", bad customer service, no 3G Microcell even though Verizon and Sprint already have theirs out, no MMS, no tethering, expensive plans...AT&T is bad bad bad!

i really hope Apple recognizes that it's AT&T holding it back from selling more phones and being the top dog they could be. RIM is on so many other carriers, of course they will win. Palm Pre is great and I hope they do well and give Apple and AT&T a run for it's money.

I think after today that Sprint will increase it's Pre sales tremendously and Palm will continue to work on it's WebOS.

I'm very very disappointed with today's Keynote announcement on the iPhone...I think it's very lame to not have the MMS and tethering and also have to wait another week after waiting since March for this silly software to come out. It's all mind games. I think i'm about to be done playing the game.
post #140 of 430
Quote:

I'd disagree that "mere mortals need not understand". I very much feel the need to understand what, from the outside, appears to be a capricious and arbitrary policy. I think, in this situation, your choices are:
  1. Ask politely and find out if you can get discounted pricing after all
  2. Sell your existing phone on eBay. You'll probably get at least the $200 difference out of it.
  3. Realize that, by December 12, we'll be halfway to next year's WWDC and say "screw it".

Oh, I was being sarcastic, I very much agree that AT&T should have a straight-forward policy, and not just a "well if you meet certain conditions that we won't tell you, then you qualify". The thing is though, we're seeing how little control Apple has over AT&T in the long run. I think this is going to usher in the beginning of the end of AT&Ts exclusivity with the iPhone.

Me, I've been an AT&T customer for nearly a decade, and I've been an Apple user for nearly 15 years ... I'm loyal to both, but first and always to Apple. If Verizon or T-Mobile were able to let me take full advantage of the hardware, I'd drop AT&T like a bad habit ... and that's something that should scare AT&T. Apple, for better or worse, will always have me as a customer - my enjoyment of the brand has far outweighed the few bad experiences I've had.

In the end though, AT&T needs to comes out pretty damn soon and iron out details surrounding upgrades, tethering and MMS, or else they're going to start pulling less and less people. I don't fault Apple anymore than I would fault Nokia or Motorola in the same situation. At the end of the day, they make hardware, AT&T has to decide whether or not it's going to play ball and support the new features of the hardware or let a substantial portion of their income stream become increasingly unhappy ... I guarantee you we'll hear from AT&T before the 19th so they can try to address the myriad of questions they're receiving...
MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 320GB HDD
iPod 5th Generation, 30GB
iPhone 4, 32GB
iPhone 4, 32GB
post #141 of 430
Quote:

Perfect, then you have no complaints!

ATT doesn't care what percentage of your minutes you use. Your use of 100 minutes does not increase ATT's costs essentially nothing. So if you have the cheapest iPhone plan with 450 minutes, and you use 45 of them, you only use 10% of the minutes. But you only pay them $70 for it. Now, if you had 2000 minutes which I think would cost $140 with the iPhone, and you use 1999 minutes, you'd make ATT FAR more profit than you currently do, and they'd be far more likely to give you a deal.

Sure I do. Don't get me started on AT&T. But here, specifically, I'm annoyed with the complete opaqueness of this policy.
post #142 of 430
Quote:

How did you manage that seeing as how it didn’t come out until July 11th 2008?

Quote:

Making stuff up is always easier than going with the facts

No need to be a horses' ass, Cameron. the automated upgrade process stated I could receive a subsidized iPhone 3Gs in April 2010. Since we have (2) year contracts, I figured I purchased it in April 2008. In any case, a pro-rated subsidy seems reasonable.
post #143 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadisawesome View Post

I posted this in the iphone thread, but it seems now there is an entire thread dedicated to it, so I'll repeat myself:

I swear you people act like you've never bought a phone before and don't understand subsidizing at all. how did you get by before the iphone? I'll explain it... again:

the original iphone was unsubsidized (AT&T gave you nothing to buy the phone) this made the phone more expensive ($600) but the plans were cheaper because AT&T didn't need to recoup any costs.

the iphone 3G was subsidized ($200) which means AT&T pitched in the other $400 for the phone to get more customers. However AT&T needs to recoup that money, so they charge you $20 more per month, which means over the course of 2 years, they recoup their money plus interest ($480... 24months * 20 bucks). This extra 80 bucks over two years is why AT&T allowed people how had the first gen iphone upgrade for cheap. They now were able to lock you in for 2 years and charge you more per month and get an extra 80 bucks out of you over 2 years.

Now everyone who has an iphone 3G at the most has had the phone 11 months. AT&T has only recouped $220 from you from the $400 they pitched in for you to get the phone. Why would they then pitch in another $400 for you to get the new phone? If you want the new phone, AT&T is saying, okay, but you are bringing your own $400 this time.

hopefully this explains everything to people who have apparently never purchased a cellphone before or never signed a contract.

I seriously doubt the iPhone cosst AT &T $700 from Apple. Your explaination is a good one and I understand it except they arent losing money off me when they guys charge me $130 for my plan when I could go to Sprint for $99 unlimited everything. They are lucky to even have the iPhone on their Network. They can't even support MMS with the iPhone since there is so many users with iPhones until late summer? What renobs. They should kiss my ass and give me the phone for free for signing back up with those clowns for 2 years.
post #144 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Seems pretty fair to me. I recall they did similar upgrades last time around too.

yes they did. any contract under the standard upgrade time was $200 more. the only exception was the silver iphone folks who didn't get the benefit of the extra $200 off but had to sign the contract. they got to upgrade anytime. only fair really since they kinda got jerked around
post #145 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druth086 View Post

I've been reading that all over the internet however, when I check mine (I waited in line 6 hours on launch day last year) it says that I'm eligible 3/11/2010. Which is NOT a year from when I purchased my phone. I hope they get all of this figured out soon enough because if I only have to wait until 7/12 then it'll be fine but I'm not waiting until March as another iPhone will certainly be on the horizon (again).

Mine is 1/1/2010. No reason to get one at that point. I'll wait for the new one with the front facing camera for video conferencing (if they ever break away from horrid ATT) and 20 Mps downloads. 64 gig RAM, 800 megahertz processor, 33% better battery life...
post #146 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Notice how solipism and his ilk are missing with all these complaints goin' on. Where is he? Hiding under an AT&T pole?

Stop talking nonsense. Does Verizon do it differently with their newer versions when the previous versions have been subsidized?

If so, please also show us a link.
post #147 of 430
iPhone 3G users to pay $200 premium for early upgrade to iPhone 3G S

Pay pay pay.

I'm glad I held off buying the iPhone, now I can get the newest one, the nearly perfect one, without paying the extra ATT tax.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
post #148 of 430
Ars has a little bit more detail from AT&T ... looks like tethering is coming ... eventually. It also mentions that upgrade time varies by customer, and most Ars staffers that bought on launch day are also having to wait until December. Looks like if you're one of the unlucky ones, you're going to have to call AT&T and have them talk it out to you...

Ars Technica: AT&T speaks on tethering, iPhone 3G S preorders, upgrades
iPhone 4, 32GB
iPhone 4, 32GB
post #149 of 430
Quote:

Again, I ask, you surely have never run a business, have you?

Whether I've run a business or not (and it's hardly relevant either way), your condescending tone isn't necessary.

Quote:

You know clearly where you stand. ATT is telling you how much the product costs. Trust me, it would have cost you far more than $200 more to get into the category where they consider you a good enough customer to get early upgrade pricing.

My issue isn't with the subsidized pricing; I understand that. My issue is with not knowing how AT&T categorizes its customers. There doesn't seem to be a clear-cut way of determining that (other than by what upgrade eligibility date we get) and, from the reports of some of the posters here, AT&T isn't very forthcoming about the criteria they use to determine who their "better" customers are.

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

post #150 of 430
Quote:

post #151 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Stop talking nonsense. Does Verizon do it differently with their newer versions when the previous versions have been subsidized?

If so, please also show us a link.

Verizon doesn't have an iPhone so I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
post #152 of 430
I have never posted to this forum before, but after reading through this thread (thanks by the way, big laughs) I just could not resist creating a user and adding my two cents.

You people complaining about the price you have to pay to upgrade your iPhone after less than a year... You must have money falling out of your pockets! And in such a tough economy, I'm really impressed. You paid $200 plus for a gadget less than 12 months ago and you are ready to shell out another $200 plus for another one! Do you buy computers every 12 months, too? TVs? Cars?? You should go to your local GM dealer. You could throw that money at a GM product, get a great deal, and help the American economy.

I bought my iPhone, I think it was winter 2007. I lucked out since I bought mine like a week before they lowered the price so I got some money back. Now I think the 3G is really cool, and the 3GS is even better, but I don't need to spend another $200 plus bucks on a phone/hand held computer/iPod every 12 months, or even 24 months. I can wait, and when I get my next one, it will be even better, and I will feel like I got a good value out of my previous purchase and be confident I will get a good value out of the new purchase as well.

So you people must just be incredibly fortunate to have so much money to even CONSIDER buying a new phone in such a short period of time. It makes me wonder why you care what price they're gonna charge you, being as how you are so cavalierly throwing your money around anyway.

Good for you! The economy needs your kind! I hope you're spending some of that dough on American made products.
post #153 of 430
Quote:

Whether I've run a business or not (and it's hardly relevant either way), your condescending tone isn't necessary.

My issue isn't with the subsidized pricing; I understand that. My issue is with not knowing how AT&T categorizes its customers. There doesn't seem to be a clear-cut way of determining that (other than by what upgrade eligibility date we get) and, from the reports of some of the posters here, AT&T isn't very forthcoming about the criteria they use to determine who their "better" customers are.

Snd the Apple website says I pay $699 for the 32 GB. Unfuc*ing -real!
post #154 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You could call and check on that, it just may be a mistake.

Quote:

I'm sure it's just a mistake. Quick phone call would get you the earlier pricing.

I'm eligible 10/1/09 btw - I didn't get the 2G until August and the 3G until Sept, because who has the time to wait in line all day? Don't most people make more than $200 in a day's work?

I dont care either way. Im going to get a new one in 11 days regardless. Waiting 2 moths of 6 months of 9 months isnt worth forking out $200 more for something I want.

Cameronj, I dont think the average US citizen makes more than about $80 a day, I think. That is $10 x 8 hours. However, I have read that the average iPhone buyer makes considerably more money than the average.
post #155 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTJ View Post

I have never posted to this forum before, but after reading through this thread (thanks by the way, big laughs) I just could not resist creating a user and adding my two cents.

You people complaining about the price you have to pay to upgrade your iPhone after less than a year... You must have money falling out of your pockets! And in such a tough economy, I'm really impressed. You paid $200 plus for a gadget less than 12 months ago and you are ready to shell out another $200 plus for another one! Do you buy computers every 12 months, too? TVs? Cars?? You should go to your local GM dealer. You could throw that money at a GM product, get a great deal, and help the American economy.

I bought my iPhone, I think it was winter 2007. I lucked out since I bought mine like a week before they lowered the price so I got some money back. Now I think the 3G is really cool, and the 3GS is even better, but I don't need to spend another $200 plus bucks on a phone/hand held computer/iPod every 12 months, or even 24 months. I can wait, and when I get my next one, it will be even better, and I will feel like I got a good value out of my previous purchase and be confident I will get a good value out of the new purchase as well.

So you people must just be incredibly fortunate to have so much money to even CONSIDER buying a new phone in such a short period of time. It makes me wonder why you care what price they're gonna charge you, being as how you are so cavalierly throwing your money around anyway.

Good for you! The economy needs your kind! I hope you're spending some of that dough on American made products.

Not American cars. They blow a$$
post #156 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh_arom View Post

I just got off the phone with an ATT rep. He said it is not just the length of contract that determines when you get the discount. It is the total length of service, how much biz you do with them, etc. Last July was when I had my first contract with ATT and he said that is probably why it is 01/04/2010 for me. Kinda stupid if you ask me.... I bet the people that can upgrade in July have been with ATT longer then 2 years

Don't know about that... started on a 2-line family talk in 2001, never a late payment, now I'm up to 4 lines (1 iPhone 3g since 7/22/08), and I don't qualify until March...
post #157 of 430
Quote:

It is, because if you had, you'd have a little more understanding of why a company wouldn't want it's customers to have such a clear idea of the hierarchy that the business puts them into. I certainly wouldn't want my clients knowing the thought process that goes through my head when the phone rings and I decide whether to (A) answer it right then, (B) check the voicemail asap and reply then, or (C) check the VM when I have the time and get back to them only then.

I also wouldn't want them looking over my shoulder when I was looking at my calendar and trying to schedule them in. It's just how the world works - and having been on the other side of the equation helps you understand why ATT might not want you to know how little you mean to them.

Quote:

I'll help you then. ATT uses the following criteria (in no particular order) to decide who is a more favored customer than whom:

Average monthly revenue generated (higher is better)
Average monthly profit generated (higher is better)
Reliability of monthly payments (higher is better)
Duration of history from which these figures are drawn (longer is better)

There you go!

There are of course some mistakes, and the beauty of it is, one can call ATT and bring the mistake to its attention. If it truly is a mistake, ATT can correct it. No amount of complaining on a message board is going to correct it, though.
post #158 of 430
If you buy an iPhone this year, you'll be in the same situation next year when they launch next years phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I'm glad I held off buying the iPhone, now I can get the newest one, the nearly perfect one, without paying the extra ATT tax.
post #159 of 430
Quote:

I have to agree with you on that.

ATT (and all the other throwbacks such as Verizon, Sprint,...) could be faor more forthcoming on this. They could also pro-rate instead of a stupid "take it or leave it at $200" model of pricing. At a minimum, they could take the trouble to explain (and train their associates to explain) their logic to customers that want to know.

Most customers are not ticked off at their pricing or their tactics as much as their opacity, tone-deafness, and obtuseness.
post #160 of 430
Quote:

I dont care either way. Im going to get a new one in 11 days regardless. Waiting 2 moths of 6 months of 9 months isnt worth forking out $200 more for something I want.

Cameronj, I dont think the average US citizen makes more than about $80 a day, I think. That is $10 x 8 hours. However, I have read that the average iPhone buyer makes considerably more money than the average.

Yeah, after I posted that I did the math and realized that I should have said iPhone user instead of US citizen. I do think the average American makes probably over $100 a day (at least the average American WORKER, which sadly is becoming more and more hard to find). The USA's per capita income, which I think excludes children and retirees, is 40K, which is around $20 per hour based on a 40 hour work week/2000 hour work year.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 3G users to pay $200 premium for early upgrade to iPhone 3G S