or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 3G users to pay $200 premium for early upgrade to iPhone 3G S
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone 3G users to pay $200 premium for early upgrade to iPhone 3G S - Page 6

post #201 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkZephix View Post

Here is my situation:

My iPhone 3g (i bought on launch):




My wife's iPhone 2g (she bought the 3g on launch but bought a 2g to save on the data plan):



explain?
post #202 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmac47 View Post

Why then wouldn't "existing" customers simply terminate their current contracts, pay $175 ETF (or less if they have a prorated ETF), and sign up as a new customer?

Found out that early cancelation means losing your phone number so you must be willing to get a new number with the new account. That eliminates a lot of people from early cancelation I think. \

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply
post #203 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by packy17 View Post

explain?

I'm in the same boat. My 3G purchased on launch day makes me ineligible for the lower price until 7/12/2010. My wife's 2G allows her to get the lower price right away.

Here's my question... We're on a family plan. Can she purchase the 3GS at the lower price then switch units with me? She doesn't want the new one, but if course, I do!
post #204 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by leefarber View Post

I'm in the same boat. My 3G purchased on launch day makes me ineligible for the lower price until 7/12/2010. My wife's 2G allows her to get the lower price right away.

Here's my question... We're on a family plan. Can she purchase the 3GS at the lower price then switch units with me? She doesn't want the new one, but if course, I do!

Of course... just swap out the sim card... simple as that.

You arent upgradable til 2010? that is weird.. i am 07.12.09
- - - Follow me on Twitter | Check out my Facebook - - -

iPhone 3g 16gb | iMac 3.06 1TB 4gb | Lumix DMC-TS1
Reply
- - - Follow me on Twitter | Check out my Facebook - - -

iPhone 3g 16gb | iMac 3.06 1TB 4gb | Lumix DMC-TS1
Reply
post #205 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYANDYO View Post

Also, AT&T has a pro-rated early termination fee, meaning that each month you're in your cell phone contract, $5 is taken off the $175 ETF, essentially bringing down the cost to cancel to $120 (assuming you bought the iPhone 3G in July, when it came out last year.)

$120<$200? Yeah, I'd rather cancel and get another plan.

True dat EXCEPT I found out this afternoon that early cancelation means losing your existing mobile number which could be a problem for many people. I don't want to lose my number which I have had for many years.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply
post #206 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

True dat EXCEPT I found out this afternoon that early cancelation means losing your existing mobile number which could be a problem for many people. I don't want to lose my number which I have had for many years.

Plus:::
- Have to WAIT 90 DAYS to resignup with AT&T
- Lose your number
- No more rollover mins
- Lose credit with AT&T
- - - Follow me on Twitter | Check out my Facebook - - -

iPhone 3g 16gb | iMac 3.06 1TB 4gb | Lumix DMC-TS1
Reply
- - - Follow me on Twitter | Check out my Facebook - - -

iPhone 3g 16gb | iMac 3.06 1TB 4gb | Lumix DMC-TS1
Reply
post #207 of 430
I am so unhappy right now it is unbelievable. How dare they treat me like this?

I went into the BMW dealership today to trade in my 18 month old 3 series couple for a new X3 and they are seriously expecting me to pay more. WTF? Some clever arse salesman telling me that I have 18 months left on my BMW finance and must pay for my existing car before I can just drive out with a new one.

I hate BMW, do they not realise I am a loyal customer? It should not always be about profit, surely it is more important that they look after their real customers. I have posters of BMW cars on my wall and everything.

They can stick it, They are not getting my business again, Mercedes don't do this, Mercedes would give me a new car whenever I want one.

Mwaarrgghhh, Mwaarrgghh, I want my mommy.
post #208 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphster View Post

I am so unhappy right now it is unbelievable. How dare they treat me like this?

I went into the BMW dealership today to trade in my 18 month old 3 series couple for a new X3 and they are seriously expecting me to pay more. WTF? Some clever arse salesman telling me that I have 18 months left on my BMW finance and must pay for my existing car before I can just drive out with a new one.

I hate BMW, do they not realise I am a loyal customer? It should not always be about profit, surely it is more important that they look after their real customers. I have posters of BMW cars on my wall and everything.

They can stick it, They are not getting my business again, Mercedes don't do this, Mercedes would give me a new car whenever I want one.

Mwaarrgghhh, Mwaarrgghh, I want my mommy.

I would love to find a BMW dealship that gives that car to new bmw customer at half off... but charges a guy that has been with bmw for a few years almost double... seems backwards huh?

Booyahh
- - - Follow me on Twitter | Check out my Facebook - - -

iPhone 3g 16gb | iMac 3.06 1TB 4gb | Lumix DMC-TS1
Reply
- - - Follow me on Twitter | Check out my Facebook - - -

iPhone 3g 16gb | iMac 3.06 1TB 4gb | Lumix DMC-TS1
Reply
post #209 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixegen View Post

It's worse than that. I could live with the 12 months restriction from the iPhone 3G purchase date before I could upgrade to the iPhone 3GS. Since I bought my iPhone 3G on July 11 2008 (launch date), that would mean only waiting another month.

But because I've been a loyal Apple/AT&T customer, and I bought the original iPhone before I bought the iPhone 3G, I'm being made to wait 18 months instead of 12 before I'm offered the "unsubsidized" price of $199/$299. For me, that is 12/12/09.

So thanks AT&T. You just earned the animosity of someone who was generally not offended by your service (although your network doesn't compare to Verizon). I sure hope another US carrier doesn't land the iPhone soon, or you may find people remember crap like this for a long time.

As it is, I'll just have to make due with my iPhone3G until Christmas I guess.I guess I can spend that $300 elsewhere.

So where is this different from what every other company does? I used to have the exact same issues with Sprint.
post #210 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphster View Post

I am so unhappy right now it is unbelievable. How dare they treat me like this?

I went into the BMW dealership today to trade in my 18 month old 3 series couple for a new X3 and they are seriously expecting me to pay more. WTF? Some clever arse salesman telling me that I have 18 months left on my BMW finance and must pay for my existing car before I can just drive out with a new one.

I hate BMW, do they not realise I am a loyal customer? It should not always be about profit, surely it is more important that they look after their real customers. I have posters of BMW cars on my wall and everything.

They can stick it, They are not getting my business again, Mercedes don't do this, Mercedes would give me a new car whenever I want one.

Mwaarrgghhh, Mwaarrgghh, I want my mommy.

I see your point. I don't think I realize how much a new iPhone is really worth. I will pay whatever they ask to have the 3G S on launch day and I will not complain it's a raw deal any more. Thanks for that dose of reality.

32GB RAM
Longer Battery Life
Faster Speed
Higher Resolution Auto Everything Camera
Video Recording-Editing-Sharing
Voice Control
Stereo Bluetooth

That's a very valuable list of just some of the advantages we gain with the new model. It's easily worth $236 to me to get it ASAP.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply
post #211 of 430
The big question is , will it be able to make phone calls in San Francisco (the Apple Mecca) without dropping the call? I have to keep my 3G switched off because it is unable to stay connected reliably.
post #212 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

I think perhaps you are being way too sensitive for an Apple rumor forum, but to each their own.

On the other hand, if you can find me a good condescending ring tone, I would love to be able to use it on my iPhone 3G S.

Perhaps I am, but some posters here can be unnecessarily insulting. Like you said though, to each their own.

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply
post #213 of 430
Can't US users use the newly announced features that were announced on EVERY carrier except AT&T?
post #214 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkZephix View Post

I would love to find a BMW dealship that gives that car to new bmw customer at half off... but charges a guy that has been with bmw for a few years almost double... seems backwards huh?

Booyahh

This isn't so strange.

It even happens with magazine subscriptions. New subscribers get better deals then us old subscribers. That's the way it works.

They figure, correctly most of the time, that current purchasers will pay the higher prices, but in order to get new customers they have to lure them in with a deal.

The fact that it's done across so many industries shows that it works.
post #215 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade View Post

So far as I can tell, AT&T is only requiring a one year wait before allowing the subsidized price.

My one year anniv. from my iPhone 3G is 7/12, which is what the website says for me to get the subsidized pricing.

Prior to that date, its $200 more.

My wife got my iPhone 2G and is currently eligible for the normal subsidized pricing. I have asked a few friends who also go iPhone 3G's but on different dates, theirs also show their 1 year anniv. as the date they are eligible for the subsidy. One for example is 7/17/09.

Here is mine....


What the hell?!? I bought my 3G phone at launch & when I checked online I got this message:

As a valued AT&T customer, AT&T can offer you an early iPhone upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. You may qualify for a standard iPhone upgrade on 03/12/2010. I happen to still have my receipt & it is dated July 11, 2008. What gives?
Brock Samson: You didn't tell me Sasquatch was a... a dude.
Steve Summers: What, you couldn't tell?
Brock Samson: Not until I had to...[shudders] shave him.
Steve Summers: What are you, shy?...
Reply
Brock Samson: You didn't tell me Sasquatch was a... a dude.
Steve Summers: What, you couldn't tell?
Brock Samson: Not until I had to...[shudders] shave him.
Steve Summers: What are you, shy?...
Reply
post #216 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

The big question is , will it be able to make phone calls in San Francisco (the Apple Mecca) without dropping the call? I have to keep my 3G switched off because it is unable to stay connected reliably.

I have to wonder why no AT&T phone can get a signal at my home 2 miles from where WWDC is being held?
post #217 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohannjn View Post

Can't US users use the newly announced features that were announced on EVERY carrier except AT&T?

Is this a trick question?
post #218 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkZephix View Post

I would love to find a BMW dealship that gives that car to new bmw customer at half off... but charges a guy that has been with bmw for a few years almost double... seems backwards huh?

Booyahh

Except he doesn't give the new customer half off. They work out a deal where the upfront price is discounted in exchange for two years of mandatory oil changes at dealer prices. It "feels like" you're getting a car for less, but the dealer actually gets that money back, and more, from the service agreement. It's actually kind of a dumb system for the consumer, but it's a standard industry practice and most people just accept it.

Now, here you come. You got your discounted car, and you've paid for one year of the agreed upon expensive oil changes. The dealer has gotten half of the money you agreed to pay.

But wait! BMW brought out an updated model that you covet! It has more horsepower and better gas mileage and cool new electronics. You want it!

So you go to the dealer and say, sell me the new model and give me that deal again! And the dealer says, I'd be glad to do that, as soon as you've paid me what you agreed to. If you'd like, you can pay me the balance of what you owe, and then I'll be happy to sell you a new car with the same terms as before.

And you say, "Hey! Bullshit! I'm already a customer and you're giving that great deal to the guy that just walked into the showroom, WTF!" And the dealer just looks at you with pity, because he's just realized it was probably a mistake to sell you a car in the first place.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #219 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkZephix View Post

Of course... just swap out the sim card... simple as that.

You arent upgradable til 2010? that is weird.. i am 07.12.09

Wait you bought a 3g and you're elegible in july?

I'm not ellegible until december and I bought it a few days after launch. wated in line for 4 hours to get a black one.

what gives?
You Can Say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one

------- John Lennon
Reply
You Can Say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one

------- John Lennon
Reply
post #220 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I've been saying that for years and constantly get bashed by solipism and his ilk keep saying blah , blah, blah and defending the AT&T/Apple partnership- how Apple loves the crappy signal, defend AT&T at the bottom of Consumer Reports, etc,etc, etc.

No, no one bothers to listen to you because you are annoying and bitch about everything. Sorry...

And as I told you before, I live in manhattan and I get no Verizon signal in my apartment. Speaking of Verizon, I called them to find out about switching my 3-in-1 RCN service which sucks to Fios. There I was, a fresh new potential customer for the taking, and what did they do? Put me on hold for 15 minutes, at which point I hung up. I figured if that's what they do to people interested in signing up, what kind of service could I expect once I was a customer?! Of course I already knew the answer because I used to be a Verizon wireless customer and they sucked.
post #221 of 430
While it's totally fair to make people ride out the contract, after hearing that some are being offered the upgrade much earlier, I have to admit that I'm a little skeptical of the reasoning behind their upgrade system:

I've been with AT&T since August 2002.
I have four lines with them, and pay them over $200/month.
I have paid EVERY bill on time, and my credit score has been above 800 for almost a decade.
Only one of my lines is an iPhone, which was a 3G purchased July 2008.
Another one of my lines hasn't been upgraded in over three years.

And I'm eligible to upgrade the line with the iPhone 3G in March of next year.

I wonder if part of this "complex upgrade eligibility scheme" is AT&T's assumption that I'll pay $400 just because I can.

If that's their assumption, they've made a miscalculation.
post #222 of 430
It just dawned on me that the upgrade pricing eligibility date may not be entirely dependent on the monetary value of that particular customer.

I wouldn't be surprised if network saturation/7.2Mbps rollout were factors as well.

Maybe even market saturation.

I'd be willing to bet your zip code has much to do with your upgrade eligibility date.
post #223 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

No, no one bothers to listen to you because you are annoying and bitch about everything. Sorry...

And as I told you before, I live in manhattan and I get no Verizon signal in my apartment. Speaking of Verizon, I called them to find out about switching my 3-in-1 RCN service which sucks to Fios. There I was, a fresh new potential customer for the taking, and what did they do? Put me on hold for 15 minutes, at which point I hung up. I figured if that's what they do to people interested in signing up, what kind of service could I expect once I was a customer?! Of course I already knew the answer because I used to be a Verizon wireless customer and they sucked.

So suck up and fork it out to AT&T then. Everybody on here is bitching about AT&T and yet you defend them still- what a loser. The signal in NYC sucks. It has been written up all over in NYTimes, AMNY, Post, WSJ etc, etc. I didn't invent this up yet you keep inventing excuses. Now AT&*T is screwing iPhone owners with these costs- what's your excuse for that.? "They are matching Verizon?" HA!
BTW- I may have to switch to Fios because TWCable dropped my 2 favorite channels- HDNET and HDNET Movies. Guess who has them- FIOS!
Peace out.
post #224 of 430
AT&T and Apple should both realize that the most likely and eager customer for a new iPhone would be existing iPhone owners who want to upgrade. Apple has establish a one year development cycle for upgrading the device. AT&T should get their act together and be in sync with Apple's cycle. I know I would wait another six months rather than fork over that extra $200. During this six months Palm (and others) will have the opportunity to try and lure me away from Apple and AT&T. I think AT&T should be able to give up that six months in return for getting me to sign a brand new commitment. In addition, AT&T should want customers to be getting the most possible use and enjoyment from their iPhones (happy customers). They should be helping and enabling customers rather than stymying and frustrating them. It's not only the upgrade policy that has me irritated, it's also the laptop tethering policy.
post #225 of 430
Seems like it shouldn't be this complicated... I understand about ATT needing to recoup money from subsidies (though I would argue that how much & how long that takes is as much subject to speculation here as the upgrade policy), this being (more or less) standard practice in the industry, etc. It's the inconsistency that gets me, because the only thing obvious is that not all customers (or accounts) are equal. I would be one of those that would buy a new iPhone every year - but this type of confusion curbs that quite a bit. Not just because it would cost more now, but because I have no idea where I'll stand at this point next year and as a result can't make an informed decision.
post #226 of 430
I didn't get to read through all 223 comments... To me this is totally logical. You get the phone for less than its actual price because you pay for the difference in a 2 year (?) contract. If you want to end this contract prematurely, there is a price for breaking the contract. THat is totally fair. Considering most phone builders bring out models every year or even faster, you could guess this would happen with Apple too.

The good thing is that next year there will be the NEXT iPhone which all you 'early adopters' will be able to get and all those 3GS users will be screaming Hell and Damnation because they have to wait to pay back in terms through their subscriptions...
post #227 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmall View Post

AT&T and Apple should both realize that the most likely and eager customer for a new iPhone would be existing iPhone owners who want to upgrade. Apple has establish a one year development cycle for upgrading the device. AT&T should get their act together and be in sync with Apple's cycle. I know I would wait another six months rather than fork over that extra $200. During this six months Palm (and others) will have the opportunity to try and lure me away from Apple and AT&T. I think AT&T should be able to give up that six months in return for getting me to sign a brand new commitment. In addition, AT&T should want customers to be getting the most possible use and enjoyment from their iPhones (happy customers). They should be helping and enabling customers rather than stymying and frustrating them. It's not only the upgrade policy that has me irritated, it's also the laptop tethering policy.

i've seen the Pre, Apple has nothing to worry about
post #228 of 430
This makes a lot of sense. 3G early adopters are NOT being shut out. They just have to wait a month after release. Big deal.

We're still getting a subsidy like every other new customer, and we only have to wait out a full year to upgrade. They didn't have to offer that either.
post #229 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

No, no one bothers to listen to you because you are annoying and bitch about everything. Sorry...

And as I told you before, I live in manhattan and I get no Verizon signal in my apartment. Speaking of Verizon, I called them to find out about switching my 3-in-1 RCN service which sucks to Fios. There I was, a fresh new potential customer for the taking, and what did they do? Put me on hold for 15 minutes, at which point I hung up. I figured if that's what they do to people interested in signing up, what kind of service could I expect once I was a customer?! Of course I already knew the answer because I used to be a Verizon wireless customer and they sucked.



That's is definitely the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You must be QUITE the individual to know in person. who do you think you are? someone special?

hilarious.
post #230 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

I talked to an AT&T Manager in Sacramento right after the Keynote and he says the upgrade policy hasn't been decided yet and that last year everyone was able to upgrade with a new contract for the same price as all new customers. So I am not convinced this $200 premium will be in effect by next Friday. If it is I'm with you on early cancelation and new contract. Why spend another $25 above the early cancellation $175 penalty? That's why I don't think they will keep the $200 higher charge to upgrade rather than deal with a bunch of canceled agreements. \No. Last year existing iPhone customers were able to upgrade to the iPhone 3G for the same price as new customers - no early adopter penalty. The $200 penalty for existing contract holders is INSANE and UNFAIR.

That is because the 3g service plan is better for them than the 2g service plan -- more revenue and no free TXT
post #231 of 430
This sucks for me because I begrudgingly upgraded from 2G to 3G just last month, only because my 2G's touch screen went bad. My plan all along was to skip over the first 3G for the new one that I knew would be coming out soon.

Since I was out of warranty on my original 2G, it would have cost $199 to get a 2G refurb, or $199 + $18 and a two-year extension of my contract to get a 3G. That made getting a 3G make more sense, but I was worried I'd get screwed by the upgrade terms when the new iPhone came out.

A worry which has now been validated.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Reply
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Reply
post #232 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

i've seen the Pre, Apple has nothing to worry about

I agree- saw it last night. Too plasticy.
Apple only has to worry about AT&T, their ball and chain.
post #233 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

This makes a lot of sense. 3G early adopters are NOT being shut out. They just have to wait a month after release. Big deal.

We're still getting a subsidy like every other new customer, and we only have to wait out a full year to upgrade. They didn't have to offer that either.


That's just it- only some early adopters only have to wait a month, but others who went 3g last July need to wait anywhere from 3 to 9 months with no seeming rhyme or reason.
post #234 of 430
Actually, the article is incorrect. Apple and AT&T made an agreement that if you have a 3G you are not eligible for an upgrade for 18 months!!!
post #235 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

This makes a lot of sense. 3G early adopters are NOT being shut out. They just have to wait a month after release. Big deal.

We're still getting a subsidy like every other new customer, and we only have to wait out a full year to upgrade. They didn't have to offer that either.

They actually have to wait 6 months over new converts. The upgrade time frame is 18 months from date of 3G purchase.
post #236 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post

What the hell?!? I bought my 3G phone at launch & when I checked online I got this message:

As a valued AT&T customer, AT&T can offer you an early iPhone upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. You may qualify for a standard iPhone upgrade on 03/12/2010. I happen to still have my receipt & it is dated July 11, 2008. What gives?

I found the same thing when I tried to order on line. Made it sound like all I had to do was pay the $18 and I could upgrade, but then you find out it will cost an extra $200 over the advertised price and you are still signing a new 2 year contract.

They didn't do that last year, because I have bought the new iphone each time it came out and paid the same as advertised price. The 18 month upgrade policy is new over last year, and get this, the prices are $499, $599 or $699 depending on how long until your 18 months.

Who do they think were the ones waiting in line for the big release? New converts. Gee, the iphone has been on the market for 2 years and suddenly I'm going to wait in line to buy one --- NO, it's going to be the loyal fans!
post #237 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphster View Post

I am so unhappy right now it is unbelievable. How dare they treat me like this?

I went into the BMW dealership today to trade in my 18 month old 3 series couple for a new X3 and they are seriously expecting me to pay more. WTF? Some clever arse salesman telling me that I have 18 months left on my BMW finance and must pay for my existing car before I can just drive out with a new one.

I hate BMW, do they not realise I am a loyal customer? It should not always be about profit, surely it is more important that they look after their real customers. I have posters of BMW cars on my wall and everything.

They can stick it, They are not getting my business again, Mercedes don't do this, Mercedes would give me a new car whenever I want one.

Mwaarrgghhh, Mwaarrgghh, I want my mommy.

While I get your and can appreciate your analogy, it is fatally flawed in one important point.

Last year when the New BMW came out I was able to buy the new one at the advertised price with no extra premium surcharges. This year, however, when I went came in to purchase the latest model, they changed the policy and I have to wait 6 more months than someone that hasn't been a loyal customer.
post #238 of 430
Why do iPhone owners, with a 2 year contract, think they can get the new iPhone at the cheap rate after 1 year? Just because you waited in a ridiculous line last year or whatever does not give you any free ride. Why do you think you should be treated any differently than any other cellphone purchaser anywhere with a 2 year contract?
You can't blame AT&T on this one. Maybe Apple should have waited until next year to release it instead. I wondered last year how you all got away with that deal. You've all been spoiled.
post #239 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue1516us View Post

AT&T is Awful....bad service, "Less Bars in Less Places", bad customer service, no 3G Microcell even though Verizon and Sprint already have theirs out, no MMS, no tethering, expensive plans...AT&T is bad bad bad!

i really hope Apple recognizes that it's AT&T holding it back from selling more phones and being the top dog they could be. RIM is on so many other carriers, of course they will win. Palm Pre is great and I hope they do well and give Apple and AT&T a run for it's money.

I think after today that Sprint will increase it's Pre sales tremendously and Palm will continue to work on it's WebOS.

I'm very very disappointed with today's Keynote announcement on the iPhone...I think it's very lame to not have the MMS and tethering and also have to wait another week after waiting since March for this silly software to come out. It's all mind games. I think i'm about to be done playing the game.

ahhhh. 4 year-olds bring the lulz

thanks for that
post #240 of 430
I've come to terms with this ineligibility in the following way: I can, on Craigslist, sell my iPhone 3G for $200 easy (remember, the $99 price is only with a 2-year contract). That brings the true upgrade price closer to $200, which I think isn't THAT absurd.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 3G users to pay $200 premium for early upgrade to iPhone 3G S