or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils new iPhone 3.0 features, sets release for June 17th
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple unveils new iPhone 3.0 features, sets release for June 17th - Page 2

post #41 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Yes this is supported in 3.0 GM. It was a feature which has been in all of the developer betas. On the main recent call list there are icons showing the direction of call and when you go into the call it shows the durations of the calls made to or received from that number.

v3.0 also informs you of the location of the area code that called you if the number is not part of your addressbook. The only problem is that it doesnt tell you when the call is coming in, only when you go to Recent or Voicemails.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #42 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I find it extremely hard to believe that it was AT&T that thought MMS was ugly when it's a cash cow for them. That decision has SJ and SJ alone written all over it. If you have MMS you have less need for MobileME. Plain and simple.

WHAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you please, please, please explain this?
post #43 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt70 View Post

OS 3.0 will be great, but on AT&T's network it does not make sense to purchase a 3GS phone until they upgrade their cellular network or Apple eliminates the exclusivity deal between them.

With AT&T you miss:
- NO 7.2 Mbps: I travel all around the US and rarely get over 700k connection speeds
- NO MMS
- NO tethering
- NO TV streaming: i.e. Slingbox streaming

....soon Apple will see AT&T as the limiting growth factor in the US.

Cheers,

Fear Not!

Steve Jobs triumphant return Major Event announcement:

"Cessation of AT&Ts Partnership"


hopefully!

"TRAVEL is Fatal to Prejudice,Bigotry,Narrowmindedness"mt

TRY IT!

Reply

"TRAVEL is Fatal to Prejudice,Bigotry,Narrowmindedness"mt

TRY IT!

Reply
post #44 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt70 View Post

OS 3.0 will be great, but on AT&T's network it does not make sense to purchase a 3GS phone until they upgrade their cellular network or Apple eliminates the exclusivity deal between them.

With AT&T you miss:
- NO 7.2 Mbps: I travel all around the US and rarely get over 700k connection speeds
- NO MMS
- NO tethering
- NO TV streaming: i.e. Slingbox streaming

....soon Apple will see AT&T as the limiting growth factor in the US.

Cheers,

Heck, I don't even get this speed on my home internet connection. Sure my router is fast but I am poor; 5 Mbps for me I'm fine with my 3G iPhone thank you very much.

The only new feature I'll miss is the voice dialing and i'm not even sure why the faster processor would make that much of a difference, but what do I know, I'm not an IT person. Sure the compass thing is really cool, but the Maps tool works well enough for me. I'm not even sure what the big stink on the blogs was really about; accuracy? sure the Maps function might have been a little off and no turn-by-turn. But i'm not even sure how that would work if you have the screen saver cutting it off. Unless i'm missing something about it?
post #45 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

So, does anybody know if this new iPhone has a faster processor?
How about a faster graphics card?

Try this link: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...eo_camera.html

The quick answer is yes and yes.
post #46 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by randythot View Post

I'm still waiting!
If they don't add this, after adding external accessory support, they better come out with their tablet/netbook killer soon!
Otherwise, nice hardware and software upgrades.

Dude, seriously. Just buy a Blackberry or the new Pre already. The only way you're going to see any physical keyboard attachment is by a third party. Apple and Jobs are minimalist design attitudes. That's my opinion but it seems to be many other's as well.
post #47 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldiddy View Post

I remember reading a few months ago that the new phone would support a stereo bluetooth setup. Does anyone know if this is indeed supported. I did not read anything about that today.

Thanks!

that is curious because when you look at the photos from the previous posts:
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...eo_camera.html

you'll notice a bluetooth icon next to the battery icon. So perhaps that's a gaff on apple part or what i don't know. anyone else notice this?
post #48 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

that is curious because when you look at the photos from the previous posts:
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...eo_camera.html

you'll notice a bluetooth icon next to the battery icon. So perhaps that's a gaff on apple part or what i don't know. anyone else notice this?

Stereo Bluetooth (A2DP support) works fine under 3.0GM. Just pair the device and your done.
post #49 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Dude, seriously. Just buy a Blackberry or the new Pre already. The only way you're going to see any physical keyboard attachment is by a third party. Apple and Jobs are minimalist design attitudes. That's my opinion but it seems to be many other's as well.

Exactly and that minimalist design would exclude MMS and think it "ugly" , not AT&T.
post #50 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

It's all indirect . If you have MMS on your phone you don't need an active email account nor have a need to constantly open up email as messages go directly to your phone number, therefor there really is no need for an email account or one that handles large volume (mobileme account).

And there has never been a need to pay for MobileMe to get push e-mail. Gmail supports IMAP-idle since October 2007 (http://blogs.sun.com/chienr/entry/gm...orts_imap_idle), ie, well before MobileMe.
post #51 of 77
I've been searching through Apple's website and I can't seem to figure out where it lists the current version of the iPod Touch OS. I mean, obviously that's 2.2 right now, but I wanted to know when it would be upgraded to 3.0, so I don't order one and have to pay to update the OS right away.

Does anyone have experience with this from the last time Apple upgraded the iPhone OS? Will the iPod Touch start shipping with the new OS on the same day the OS is available for download/purchase?

The new OS is looking pretty neat! I would love to have the compass/oriented maps and the voice control, too, but it's not worth waiting for Apple to update the iPod for it.
post #52 of 77
Interesting views from iLounge regarding the new iPhone.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/art...o-users-hopes/
post #53 of 77
I installed the new OS last night and it runs great. However I noticed that whenever you preview a song in the music store, the preview indicator that used to move in a circle no longer moves. Is that a bug or a new "feature"?
post #54 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by John the Geek View Post

Well, some of us are GM 3.0 and STILL tethering just fine you pompous windbag. So make your service work like it's supposed to and we'll keep giving you money. Screw this up and expect Apple and it's customers to jump ship to another carrier. Your upgrade will be worthless if you wait so damn long you run off your customers.

EXACTLY...
I'm so tired of paying almost 100 dollars a month, and AT&T is telling me,they will not give me full services.
100 dollars per month is a lot of money, and the ONLY thing AT&T wants users to do
is make short calls for that amount of money.

I tether with my phone, but there are many users that PAY for this and AT&T is ripping them off.
AT&T keeps going on with this crap, and people are just going to leave.

I have no clue why Apple tied down iPhone to just one cell phone company.
Now that AT&T has control, they are strangle holding everyone,
and charging for an little stupid thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt70 View Post

OS 3.0 will be great, but on AT&T's network it does not make sense to purchase a 3GS phone until they upgrade their cellular network or Apple eliminates the exclusivity deal between them.

With AT&T you miss:
- NO 7.2 Mbps: I travel all around the US and rarely get over 700k connection speeds
- NO MMS
- NO tethering
- NO TV streaming: i.e. Slingbox streaming

....soon Apple will see AT&T as the limiting growth factor in the US.

Cheers,

I don't know why Apple even placed any of these features knowing darn well
AT&T users wont be able to use any of these features, and if we do we will get charged
extremely high prices for services that should be standard.

Apple should have more control for their phones, instead of these strangle holds that AT&T has members in.

Here is an idea - How about Apple opening up their own Cell Phone Network...!!

or at least make a contract every cell phone network provider, so AT&T does not have so much control.

AT&T has way too much control and we the users are paying for it dearly.


Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Soon? In fact they would have had ever greater sales if the had gone with another carrier be it T-Mobile or whoever. AT&T has boxed Apple into a hole- a real big fat one.

EXACTLY.......

And the thing is, people keep going along like nothing is happening and swallowing the cost.
People should just stop using AT&T, and you will see how fast AT&T will straighten up.
but as long as people keep paying and paying and swallowing the cost, AT&T will keep ripping people off.
and coming up with excuses and finding ways to charge people more for services they are not even getting or going to get.

Cingular had a great thing going until they sold out to AT&T.
Now we are paying for it.
Cingular was going in the right direction and their services is wha attracted many customers to their network.
and AT&T seen that, and wanted to control it, because AT&T was losing out on customers because of it.
And now we no longer have Cingular, and we are all screwed with AT&T after AT&T purchased Cingular.

Apple was going to have a good relationship with Cingular and AT&T was going to be left out.
AT&T was nearly in trouble until they purchased Cingular.
And no sooner they owned Cingular,
AT&T started to raise prices and collapsed Cingular's reputation as a better cell phone network provider.
And now ALL Cingular customers are suffering the consequences.


ONLY WE THE PEOPLE are holding back the potential future of cell phones.
and as long as AT&T has a chain around our necks, this is going to keep happening.


If iPhone was available for Verizon, T-Mobile, Boost Mobile etc etc.
I would of been left AT&T a long time ago.
but since AT&T has everyone on lock down.
We can't do anything except not become members or continue being members of AT&T.

Maybe we need to BOYCOTT AT&T.


WE THE PEOPLE control cellphone networks, NOT AT&T.
As long as we keep paying and being members,
we will always be in this hole.



We can NOT move into the future, as long as AT&T has a Strangle Hold on Customers,
and ripping them off for services that should be standard..

I HATE YOU AT&T.......!!!
post #55 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelabs View Post

Apple was going to have a good relationship with Cingular and AT&T was going to be left out.
AT&T was nearly in trouble until they purchased Cingular.
And no sooner they owned Cingular

It was the other way around, Cingular bought AT&T and changed their name.
post #56 of 77
What time on the 17th will 3.0 be available? How has Apple done updates in the past?
post #57 of 77
NasserAE - Really......lol
I could of swown it was a AT&T take over.
Thanks for correcting me buddy


I am also pissed off that the new feature on the new iPhone is only for MobileME.

The feature to be able to track your phone and also WIPE it if it gets stolen.
Why do they do this?. Why they only make it available only for MobileME accounts only.?

Like they are forcing people to get MobileME account, when we really dont want it.

And on top of that, they charge for it. (and through the roof might I say)

every day goes by and I am hating both Apple and AT&T.
because their ignorance.
post #58 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelabs View Post

I am also pissed off that the new feature on the new iPhone is only for MobileME.

The feature to be able to track your phone and also WIPE it if it gets stolen.
Why do they do this?. Why they only make it available only for MobileME accounts only.?

Like they are forcing people to get MobileME account, when we really dont want it.

And on top of that, they charge for it. (and through the roof might I say)

every day goes by and I am hating both Apple and AT&T.
because their ignorance.

1) For $69 or even the full retail price of $99 if you dont go to Amazon or pretty much anywhere else on the internet to buy it the price is very reasonable for what is in included. Too often people say, Im not going to pay $99/year for email when I can get it for free but it a narrow view of the services offered.

Personally, the email is my least used option. I have it setup on my iPhone so I can turn on Push, but the email is forwarded from my Gmail account to MM which is then Pushed to my phone. I get the mail before my Mac gets it which is setup with only Gmail and checks every minute. My return mail SMTP account is Gmail so there its transparent to whom Im replying. That is the only way I use the email feature and would be okay if it didnt existed while still getting value from MM.

2) GPS tracking websites are almost always paid for. There may have been some jailbreak or App Store app that used the GPS chip to track your phone for free, but if its free it is new, probably more like a hobby than a business to the developer and an option for you. Another option is AT&T, which charges you $2/month to add this service to any of their phones. Im not sure how well they work as I assume they only report the cell tower and I havent seen their web interface for it. One advantage is that MobileMe doesnt have to be running on the device, which means that someone could presumably restore the device to factory setting and the AT&T service will pick it up. If that is the only service you want from MM then $24/year compared to $69/year may be just what you need. I dont think they do remote wipe.

3) I see this as your ignorance if you are hating them for offering services that dont suit your needs, but suit other peoples needs. You have a choice: to buy or not to buy. No one is forcing you to by an iPhone or MobileMe or any other service or product. Its okay to not want a product or service.

4) One of favorite features about MM, going back many years to .Mac, is saving and syncing of your computers preferences. I can change a preference on one machine and have it synced to that other machine without any rigamarole. Im talking about the System Preferences to the way the Dock looks, not just my contacts, calendars, and bookmarks. Another feature is Back To My Mac. No need to remember your external IP address and port numbers for a remote access. Quite slick stuff for the price.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #59 of 77
Having my say, does not make me ignorant,

!!!!!!
People should not have to sign up to MobileME, just to get (WIPE) feature and pay for it when email is free, hence.
Hotmail, AIM, AOL, Gmail, Yahoo, Live.

And all email services do PUSH.
You can push from any email and get it instantly from any email service provider source.


What I was saying in my previous post:
was that being able to erase (WIPE) your phone should be part of the package of the cellphone service, - if it gets stolen.
and be able to send a ALERT to your phone as part of the service, in case you leave it in a TAXI or cafe'

And NOT ONLY have it - if YOU ONLY are a MobileME member and paying for email services.
its retarded.

AND YES I KNOW I HAVE A CHOICE OF GETTING IT OR NOT,
BUT THATS NOT THE POINT.

It should be part of your cell phone plan.
but thats capitalism for ya.....

Its bad enough that people are paying 100 dollars a month for services, and AT&T has a strangle hold on everything.
they dont even want people to surf the net on iPhones, because they say it takes up bandwidth.
and now they are saying they want to put a QUOTA on surfing the net on iPhones.

and if you pass that certain QUOTA, they will charge you even more, on top of your cell phone plan.


with the iPhone having the abilities to surf the net and view videos and TV shows and lets not forget movies.
people are soon going to have to pay extra on their data plan, because AT&T will not let users view videos / movies on their iPhone's,
because it will take up bandwidth,
and AT&T is now saying they want to charge an extra 40 dollars a month if users want to watch TV or movies on their iPhones.

on top of your monthly service plans.



Did you know that Verizon almost came close to getting the iPhone.?
AT&T fought hard to keep the iPhone into their company, because they knew they would of lost customers over night.
Because customers are really tired of AT&T tactics.



I can NOT wait until APPLE company would finally open the iPhone for ALL network companies.
it would then be fair.

PEOPLE ARE SPENDING WAY TOO MUCH ON CELL SERVICE FEATURES & PLANS FOR CELL PHONES....!!

Maybe YOU can afford 200 - 300 dollars a month for cell phone services,
but millions of people are not as rich as YOU.

iPhone is intended to bring the human race into the next segment of the future in communication,
and AT&T is capitalizing on this.
running unfair charge tactics and its unfair.


We are stopping ourselves from entering the next future.

We as the human race are suppose to evolve, and we are not.
Instead we are way too busy ripping each other off.


I am surprised that AT&T does not charge each time your phone vibrates.
pretty soon they just might, and call it a notification service fee.......
or
Convenience Fee, - for having your phone conveniently in you pocket or purse.


The iPhone should of been made available to every cell network carrier,
this way their would of been fair compitition, if people did not like the way one company is dealing with customers,
or their unfair charging tactics - nickle and dimming us at every corner.
they would be able to take their iPhone to another carrier and still keep their cell.
and not be tied down and forced to only one company.

Customers on Boost Mobile, AllTel, Verizon and Sprint - etc etc
should of been able to purchase the iPhone and NOT only be made available to AT&T alone.


and if you STILL CAN'T see what I am saying, then please dont respond,.,
as it will then turn into a argument, because of it.

but it seems you would love to pay any amount for services that should already be included in the plan.
Good luck on being broke and being taken for a sucker.



Nothing against you personally,
I am just trying to open your eyes and realize what is happening and where we are ending up,
if we let this keep happening.
post #60 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelabs View Post

i cant even find something to say to your remarks as well as calling me ignorant,
because I just got a headache.
thanks for the migraine.

!!!!!!
People should not have to sign up to MobileME, just to get (WIPE) feature and pay for it when email is free, hence.
Hotmail, AIM, AOL, Gmail, Yahoo, Live.

And all email services do PUSH.
You can push from any email and get it instantly from any email source.


What I was saying in my previous post:
was that being able to erase (WIPE) your phone should be part of the package of the cellphone service, - if it gets stolen.
Or be able to send a ALERT to your phone, in case you leave it in a TAXI or cafe'

And NOT ONLY have it if YOU ONLY are a MobileME member and paying for email services.
its retarded.

It should be part of your cell phone plan.
but thats capitalism for ya.....

1) My comment about you being ‘ignorant’ was a direct reply to you calling Apple and AT&T ‘ignorant’ for being a business and charging for a a plethora of services. How ignorant of them!

2) I suppose educated discourse can be hard to understand by some. If you wish me to use simpler sentences and smaller words so I can communicate with you more effectively just let me know. I will try to accommodate, though I thought by breaking thing up in numbered sections I had made it easier to digest what I perceived as obvious reasons why Apple charges “$99 for a service that should be free!"

3) Again, the cost of MobileMe is so much more than the email and remote wipe, but I’ve already stated that and given you some examples of services that you can’t get elsewhere.

4) Not all email services have Push, and ones that do don’t necessarily having it working well. MobileMe works great which is why I have the setup previously explained.

5) You can feel that remote wipe should be included at no extra charge, but to lambast AT&T for not offering a feature that no other carrier offers to their phones and criticizing Apple for adding that service to MobileMe is, well, ignorant since MobileMe still costs the same but it now more useful and there is no evidence that AT&T and all other carriers would have offered a remote wipe feature to all their phones (paid or free) if Apple didn’t include it with MobileMe.

6) If you think the MobileMe services package is such a ripoff, then you don’t need to purchase it. It isn’t a requirement for Mac or iPhone use. I do implore you to look up the services offered and then find me comparable services that best the price in full. Already you are at $24/year for AT&T to locate your phone on their network.


edit: You added to your rantings after I started replying…

Quote:
Its bad enough that people are paying 100 dollars a month for services, and AT&T has a strangle hold on everything.
they dont even want people to surf the net on iPhones, because they say it takes up bandwidth.
and now they are saying they want to put a QUOTA on surfing the net on iPhones.

and if you pass that certain QUOTA, they will charge you even more.


with the iPhone having the abilities to surf the net and view videos and TV shows and lets not forget movies.
people are soon going to have to pay extra on their data plan, because AT&T will not let users view videos / movies on their iPhone's,
because it will take up bandwidth,
and AT&T is now saying they want to charge an extra 40 dollars a month if users want to watch TV or movies on their iPhones.

on top of your monthly service plans.



PEOPLE ARE SPENDING WAY TOO MUCH ON CELL SERVICE FEATURES ON CELL PHONES....!!

I am surprised that AT&T does not charge each time your phone vibrates.
pretty soon they just might, and call it a notification service fee.......


and if you STILL CAN'T see what I am saying, then please dont respond,.,
as it will then turn into a argument, because of it.

but it seems you would love to pay any amount for services that should already be included in the plan.
Good luck on being broke and being taken for a sucker.

7) Hyperbole doesn’t make for a good argument. AT&T has less of a stranglehold than Verizon has historically had, but that is beside the point. If AT&T doesn’t suit your needs then go with a carrier that does. If you feel that none of them do and it’s a oligopoly hurting the free market, then report it or just don’t use their services.

8) AT&T had the lowest unlimited bandwidth for a phone when the original iPhone was introduced. It was also the most internet friendly phone there is; it still is. Apple changed the business model and AT&T changed the pricing, which is inline with their other phones and across the country, but in that year from the first iPhone release the average unlimited data price when from $45/month to $30/month. That doesn’t exactly sound like a company that is trying to stifle any internet use. After all, they are the allowing YouTube, the App Store, the iTunes Store, a usable browser, streaming video from any H.264 source and all those apps that connect to their servers. If they had a problem you’d expect them to change the date to a fixed number and/or raise the price. They’ve done none of those things.

9) I can see how paying $69/month can be a lot for some people, especially if the features and services of the iPhone don’t fit your needs. If that is the case there is a simple solution: don’t buy it.

10) I have not read that AT&T wants to charge an additional $40/month. Could you supply a source for this?

11) People are paying what they want to spend on cell service. It may be too much for you and you may not be able to understand the value that is had by others, but it’s certainly not too much if they willingly bought the device and agreed with the contractual obligations. Amazing the anti-American remarks we get here… mostly from Americans, too.

12) This idea that services "should be” included in the plan is silly, at best. Wanting a service included is not the same as it “should be”. Eventually, many of these services will probably be included as carriers find ways to attract customers and certain technologies evolve, but for right now they charge for certain services. Remember when call waiting and voicemail cost money each month, yet now are included? If I don’t want those can be all upset too and state that AT&T charges me $69/month for call waiting and voicemail… in the same vein you claim that Apple charges $99 for email and remote wipe?

13) I doubt that paying $99 for MM and $70/month for a device and services I use the crap out of will break me anytime soon. I even spend an additional $60/month for a 3G USB card for unlimited data. You wouldn’t believe how much bandwidth I get for both devices.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #61 of 77
Quote:
2) I suppose educated discourse can be hard to understand by some. If you wish me to use simpler sentences and smaller words so I can communicate with you more effectively just let me know. I will try to accommodate, though I thought by breaking thing up in numbered sections I had made it easier to digest what I perceived as obvious reasons why Apple charges “$99 for a service that should be free!"

Thats the second time you insulted me, basically calling me a retard & uneducated.
if you where in front of me,
You WOULD of been slapped.
post #62 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelabs View Post

Thats the second time you insulted me, basically calling me a retard & uneducated.
if you where in front of me,
You WOULD of been slapped.

1) I didnt basically call you a retard. I know to know someone who is technically retarded who has a pretty good understanding of economics, so I would never refer to you as a retard.

2) Expecting something for nothing and expecting any economy to bend to your will and only will has nothing to do with your education, but with your expectations being unrealistic.

3) Slapped, eh? If only I would have known before I posted.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #63 of 77
Just count your blessings your hiding behind a forum & not in front of me,.
post #64 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelabs View Post

Just count your blessings your hiding behind a forum & not in front of me,.

Im not religious so I have no blessing to count, but its probable you are since you dont like being disagreed with and feel that violence is the best response to a contrary viewpoint based on logic.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #65 of 77
ok so the gs will have "voice control" i want voice dialing so i'm interested in reviews of this feature for possible upgrade
now which car kits will or may work with this?
interesting find
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...hone_3g_s.html

#10 microphone, this is the first time i heard of this being included in the gs, if this can give me voice dialing i'll go for it, but anyone have any more info does this replace apples BT earpiece
your thoughts
right now since the sonyericsson ab 900 has been cancelled (fm transmitter, 6 presets Bt etc) the only carkit that deals with the iphone limitations, is the kensington which has 3 presets.
i wonder if any vendor is making an add-on that connects to the iphone for handsfree voice dialing

hey blueant---make an iphone specific carkit
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #66 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

ok so the gs will have "voice control" i want voice dialing so i'm interested in reviews of this feature for possible upgrade
now which car kits will or may work with this?
interesting find
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...hone_3g_s.html

#10 microphone, this is the first time i heard of this being included in the gs, if this can give me voice dialing i'll go for it, but anyone have any more info does this replace apples BT earpiece
your thoughts
right now since the sonyericsson ab 900 has been cancelled (fm transmitter, 6 presets Bt etc) the only carkit that deals with the iphone limitations, is the kensington which has 3 presets.
i wonder if any vendor is making an add-on that connects to the iphone for handsfree voice dialing

hey blueant---make an iphone specific carkit

The demo only showed Voice Dialing being accessible by holding down the Home Button. Its not available with older iPhones running v3.0; Im guessing its a HW change, like with the headphones with buttons supporting different control options.

So at this point there is no evidence that it will work from the headphone cord or from a device connected to the 30-pin connector, though I dont see why (at least) the 30-pin connector couldnt be used. I think well see a lot of car stereos with iPhone support. There is little holding the device back from getting the outpouring of accessories that the iPod received.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #67 of 77
what time on the 17th will it be available? i have to send my macbook to repair its superdrive and i want to install it before i send off my MB
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #68 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

what time on the 17th will it be available? i have to send my macbook to repair its superdrive and i want to install it before i send off my MB

...it was meant to be available today in Australia (17th)... the apple website has now been changed to the 18th... I guess its so we don't get it before the rest of the world...
post #69 of 77
iphone 3.0 software for iphone, ipod touch just released officially today. it's early. but now you can go, download it. it's US. by the way, I have already used 3.0 GM seed for a week. it's very stable. I love it. when I push check update button on itunes, it said, 'my phone is update to date'. so I think that 7A341 becomes official version.
post #70 of 77
So iPhone 3G will be able to play video MMS messages and forward them etc. But not be able to take them? Is that true?
post #71 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Im not religious so I have no blessing to count, but its probable you are since you dont like being disagreed with and feel that violence is the best response to a contrary viewpoint based on logic.

Come on Solips! even an atheist can count his/her blessings... in the sense
"a beneficial thing for which one is grateful; something that brings well-being : great intelligence can be a curse as well as a blessing | it's a blessing we're alive." (Oxf. D.)

Actually, this is a bit of a girly-girl forum. A "slap" indeed. I used to get death threats from a particular lunatic kebab seller on a political forum I once frequented. Fortunately, he was in London and I was in Sydney so his true intentions were never likely to be tested.

-Enz
post #72 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitymac View Post

...it was meant to be available today in Australia (17th)... the apple website has now been changed to the 18th... I guess its so we don't get it before the rest of the world...

It still says the 17th on the U.S. website, but it hasn't been released yet. I was up taking care of some work until 1:00 am EST and it kept telling me 2.2.1. is the current release. This morning at 8:00 am it still says the same thing.

This is lame as hell: Don't advertise something for the 17th and then not have it ready.
post #73 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1z28chris View Post

It still says the 17th on the U.S. website, but it hasn't been released yet. I was up taking care of some work until 1:00 am EST and it kept telling me 2.2.1. is the current release. This morning at 8:00 am it still says the same thing.

This is lame as hell: Don't advertise something for the 17th and then not have it ready.

Well, they didn't say what time on the 17th, and what time zone.
post #74 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Well, they didn't say what time on the 17th, and what time zone.

1pm EDT makes a ton of sence, that is evening in the EU so they will slam the servers first, then a few hours later school and workdays end on the east coast, leading to another spike, then another for each subsequent time zone, and then one huge spike from the Asian nations in the early AM...

If they would have announced for example, "midnight GMT" or something, they would have had tens of millions hitting a 200+MB download at once, that could quite possibly bring even Acami to its knees.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
post #75 of 77
It's 15.16 PM GMT+1 now, and still no European 3.0 update for the iPhone.. Can't wait XD
Timezone covers: Copenhagen, Berlin, Stockholm and Paris.

Any news on release time? Possibly a website countdown timer?

Regards,
Soren
Soeren Rasmussen
Reply
Soeren Rasmussen
Reply
post #76 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

1pm EDT makes a ton of sence, that is evening in the EU so they will slam the servers first, then a few hours later school and workdays end on the east coast, leading to another spike, then another for each subsequent time zone, and then one huge spike from the Asian nations in the early AM...

If they would have announced for example, "midnight GMT" or something, they would have had tens of millions hitting a 200+MB download at once, that could quite possibly bring even Acami to its knees.

Unfortunately, I think it is going to be 1PM EDT (9AM PDT) and everyone will have access to it at the same time. If so, it will still be a huge spike, but we have to all wait.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #77 of 77
Downloading my update right now
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils new iPhone 3.0 features, sets release for June 17th