or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple stuns WWDC crowd with pulsating App Store hyperwall

Apple stuns WWDC crowd with pulsating App Store hyperwall - Page 2

post #41 of 87
Very impressive. Perhaps they'll make something similar for the larger Apple retail stores. It'd definitely draw customers in (along with those who are high).
post #42 of 87
Is this the new dock?

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

post #43 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

Where were the fart apps?

In the brown section.

You're welcome in advance.
post #44 of 87
because i've read the previous 40+ posts and no one has mentioned it: doesn't the App Store Wall remind you of the Vietnam War Memorial?

Maybe they ought to redo the War Memorial Apple-style, because, if I'm about anything, it's good taste. It would be classssssy!
post #45 of 87
We have something similar in New York we can see every day. It's called Times Square.
post #46 of 87
This is a very brilliant marketing idea.

1. To show that the App Store is a potential cash generator, both for developers and Apple.
2. To show off the state of the art technology that Apple has to bring, which means a lot for the developers.
3. It's a geeky beauty, which makes sense in a conference like WWDC.

From a business point of view, this is a more effective marketing strategy than just giving out free phones like the Google IO 2009.
post #47 of 87
Are there mutliple, overlaying fey voices accompanying the display droning :"There's an App for That"?
post #48 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk Fan 2 View Post

I think the more important question is...

Why are there duplicate apps on the top 20,000 list?

The same reason there are a billion apps downloaded. Everytime I go and check upgrades on my iPhone i get upgrades from 4 months ago and then when I synch it with iTunes it re-downloads the app and then re-synchs it to my iPhone giving them 3 downloads for every app.

Top 20,000 Come on, please somebody on this board knows that this number isn't real.

It's called creative accounting where I work. You make your sales target, hold the rest as "work in progress" and then account for them on the next quarter.

But Apple has made it a lot more apparent that they are cooking their download app numbers. Upgrade, another app sold, app deleted and then downloaded again... another app sold.

You know it's the truth. I use 6 apps (all the time, Sportacular (greatest sport app I've found), AP News, USA Today, Pandora, Wall Street Journal & Shazam. They are all Free.

Yes they make the iPhone a pleasure to use. Do I need to upgrade for any of them?

No. I don't need a compass and have 3G. AT&T still sucks, as does their upgrade path but Apple knew this going into the 3G (S)ucker campaign.

You are incorrect.

Downloads are only counted the first time, updates and redownlads are not counted.
Before you accuse people of creative accounting I suggest you get your facts right.
I have never had a update download twice, if you are then you are clearlt not operating the phone correctly.

No one is suggesting you upgrade your iPhone, in fact the opposite.
If Apple wanted you to upgrade they would not be giving the V3.0 software to you for free. It would be limited to the new hardware only.

The reality of life is that hardware gets updated for many reasons.

Apple are updating the hardware not to get everyone to upgrade but to get NEW buyers.
Sure some will upgrade but many will not.
post #49 of 87
Quote:

You are correct in one context. I don't use my iPhone for Business, I have a BB Bold (corporate issued). My iPhone isn't allowed in my companies domain (not even on WiFi).

So what compelled you to call me a cheap son of a bitch? Because the iPhone 3GS wasn't a worthy upgrade for me?

I don't need a compass, I don't need Mobile Me (for $99 a year) to tell me where my phone is.

My 3G will get me by until I can find an upgrade to my phone where I don't need to pay $699 to get 2 year old features.

The best one of the day was the missed iPhone "Feature" the screen is "Oleophobic" Which means it doesn't show grease on the screen. With my 3G I rub the screen on my slacks and it's grease free.

Is this really a feature or an excuse for not having OLED?

Oleophobic. That one made my day, it was really funny that Apple would show this as a feature.

Hey Joe, my new phones screen is Oleophobic. You mean OLED? No it doesn’t show fingerprints.

LMAOROF.

You really do come over as a child instead of someone who claims to have a job.

How narrow minded of you to suggest that the only upgrade to the new iPhone is a compass. It is idiotic and crass to try to protray that message when clearly it is incorrect.
There are major updates to the 3GS phone, which you have decided to overlook to try and put across a childlike point of view :-

- Much improved performance
- New graphic chip providing improved performance
- New camera
- Video recording
- Voice Control
- Oh and a Compass!

If you are happy with your iPhone as it is then you don't need to upgrade to get any of the above new features. Can I also suggest in that case you do not need to upgrade to V3.0. Just stay with the phone you have, never upgrade.

I don't see you being forced to buy MobileMe, but to some it will be useful.

I really do hate people like you - selfish, single minded and self centered.
You cannot see father than the end of your nose, or understand the world outside the little box you appear to live in.

You are a complete TROLL!
post #50 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by parky View Post

I really do hate people like you - selfish, single minded and self centered.
You cannot see father than the end of your nose, or understand the world outside the little box you appear to live in.

You are a complete TROLL!

Why do you spell farther - father? Did he abuse you? Is that why the rage and why you call people names?
post #51 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Why do you spell farther - father? Did he abuse you? Is that why you call people names?

Hello Tecksturd, are you gonna buy a new iPhone yet?
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #52 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Hello Tecksturd, are you gonna buy a new iPhone yet?

Not until I read a review emphatically stating that AT&T has totally upgraded their pisspoor network and can hold a call in NYC and elsewhere. Otherwise- what's the point?
post #53 of 87
Quote:

I think the more important question is...

Why are there duplicate apps on the top 20,000 list?

The same reason there are a billion apps downloaded. Everytime I go and check upgrades on my iPhone i get upgrades from 4 months ago and then when I synch it with iTunes it re-downloads the app and then re-synchs it to my iPhone giving them 3 downloads for every app.

Top 20,000 Come on, please somebody on this board knows that this number isn't real.

It's called creative accounting where I work. You make your sales target, hold the rest as "work in progress" and then account for them on the next quarter.

But Apple has made it a lot more apparent that they are cooking their download app numbers. Upgrade, another app sold, app deleted and then downloaded again... another app sold.

You know it's the truth. I use 6 apps (all the time, Sportacular (greatest sport app I've found), AP News, USA Today, Pandora, Wall Street Journal & Shazam. They are all Free.

Yes they make the iPhone a pleasure to use. Do I need to upgrade for any of them?

No. I don't need a compass and have 3G. AT&T still sucks, as does their upgrade path but Apple knew this going into the 3G (S)ucker campaign.

Damn was this dude banned?
post #54 of 87
Maybe this could be included as a Screen Saver in Snow Leopard. It would have to scale to show the number of top apps that can fit on your screen(s), and instead of being live work with updated average sales per unit time.
post #55 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Damn was this dude banned?

Why? Did he say something that personally offended you that much?
post #56 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

Maybe this could be included as a Screen Saver in Snow Leopard. It would have to scale to show the number of top apps that can fit on your screen(s), and instead of being live work with updated average sales per unit time.

and bloat up the OS for those that could care less for iPhones or Touches?
post #57 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarissucks View Post

Thats really cool. But i still wonder.. why wasnt a few Mac Pros powerful enough to do the job? They use only like 10 to make the highest graphic intense movies.. why would they need 20?

Maybe it is just easier to run stock out of the box configurations instead of custom hardware. They could just put them back in the boxes after the show and sell them as refubs. But yeah, they still could run two displays for each Mac Pro.

m

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #58 of 87
Quote:

That's a cool idea. I know I'd like to see it on my screen. And if it's too much of a resource hog (which it shouldn't be) you could always select something else as your screen saver or not use one at all.

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

post #59 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Why would this need 20 Mac Pros?? You would think five of them with quad DVI port Quadro cards could do the job...

Anyways, quite awesome indeed!

Exactly. In theory, couldn't they even run eight screens per tower with two quad or four dual video cards? Apple has promoted the possibility of eight screens in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marik View Post

Probably because there are 20 screens....

What do you mean? You generally don't need one mac per screen - virtually all macs run two out of the box and with additional or better video cards you can go up to 4-8.
post #60 of 87
Quote:

and bloat up the OS for those that could care less for iPhones or Touches?

A screensaver would bloat the OS that much? Really?

They certainly could offer it as a download if it's that big.
post #61 of 87
Is anyone else thinking why did this wall of 20x 30" screens required 20x MacPros?
A MacPro has enough horsepower to run at least 4 if not 8 of those screens, including the processing horsepower. Quartz doesn't require much to produce the ripple effects on multiple items.

Maybe it was the technical challenge of synchronizing 20 MacPros.
bb
bb
post #62 of 87
This would be an awesome Display to go on tour or at least be put up at all the flagship stores in the windows. It would draw mad crowds across the world. I can understand debuting it at WWDC, but i can't afford to go to california and i want to see this thing up close. I can't even begin to describe to you the photographic possibilities with this thing sitting in the 679 N Michigan Ave Apple Store window in Chicago Illinois.

APPLE, IF YOU'RE READING THIS THREAD, PLEASE INSTALL THIS IN MY APPLE STORE.
post #63 of 87
Quote:

Why do you spell farther - father? Did he abuse you? Is that why the rage and why you call people names?

I suspect you are the one who was abused.
post #64 of 87
Quote:

I suspect you are the one who was abused.

I get abused all the time on here for keeping it real. But other than that- NO.
post #65 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Is anyone else thinking why did this wall of 20x 30" screens required 20x MacPros?
A MacPro has enough horsepower to run at least 4 if not 8 of those screens, including the processing horsepower. Quartz doesn't require much to produce the ripple effects on multiple items.

Maybe it was the technical challenge of synchronizing 20 MacPros.

I don't even see why they'd have to be synchronized, if one screen was even minutes ahead of another, how could anyone tell?
post #66 of 87
Very kewl.

But my second thought was, reminds me of something..... oh yeah, the big video-screen in Apple's Mac-debut commercial, where dozens of drone workers stood, mesmerized at the great leader's (aka Microsoft) broadcast, then liberated by the Mac Revolution/javelin-throwing-Riefenstahl-babe. In the clips of people watching the "hyperwall", and in the reaction on this board, we are mesmerized by commerce itself. Thank you, Apple, for Twittering the Revolution.

PS - switched to iPhone/ATT a few months ago, from BB Pearl/T-Mobile and, aside from loving my new toy, er, smartphone, my local (NYC) reception is about 4 times as reliable as before.
post #67 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSucks View Post

Apple Sucks

You're amazing!
post #68 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by resnyc View Post

the big video-screen in Apple's Mac-debut commercial, where dozens of drone workers stood, mesmerized at the great leader's (aka Microsoft) broadcast

I think you mean IBM
post #69 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

I don't even see why they'd have to be synchronized, if one screen was even minutes ahead of another, how could anyone tell?

They probably weren't.

Run the same software on 20 Macs, and just get them to request data from App IDs in a different range. You could do this quite easily in Flash too.

I'm sure this is why they chose to run it on 20 Macs, it's much easier to borrow 20 Macs from the store cupboard and run some standard software on each of them, than to spec-up each machine to run this task.

Nice idea though.
post #70 of 87
Quote:

You are incorrect.

Downloads are only counted the first time, updates and redownlads are not counted.
Before you accuse people of creative accounting I suggest you get your facts right.

How do you know that?

Quote:
I have never had a update download twice, if you are then you are clearlt not operating the phone correctly.

Yes, because it's never happened to you, therefore it doesn't happen unless they're doing it wrong.
post #71 of 87
Quote:

I like that, but how about just grabbing your local icons from your Mac to make a dynamic screensaver, like the one that pulls album covers. Icons are much smaller files, though between your personal apps, system apps and iPhone OS apps they are spread out, but I cant imagine it would be too hard to grab them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

How do you know that?

1,000,000,000 ÷ 35,000,000 = 28.57 apps per device.

Ive had many apps that have updated more than that in the 9 months since the App Store went live. I have also reinstalled Apps on the device when I failed to sync it to the device and re-downloaded it again after I deleted it.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #72 of 87
Man it would be great to have a hi-res copy of these photos. I'd use them as my desktop background as well as my screen saver...

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5
120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5
120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #73 of 87
Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Nobody cares about native iPhone applications. Web apps are really SWEET.
post #74 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

How do you know that?

I believe it was in Apple's press release about the 1 Billion downloads. I know for sure I read it in official text from Apple. They did address that point explicitly.
post #75 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by resnyc View Post

Very kewl.

But my second thought was, reminds me of something..... oh yeah, the big video-screen in Apple's Mac-debut commercial, where dozens of drone workers stood, mesmerized at the great leader's (aka Microsoft) broadcast, then liberated by the Mac Revolution/javelin-throwing-Riefenstahl-babe. In the clips of people watching the "hyperwall", and in the reaction on this board, we are mesmerized by commerce itself. Thank you, Apple, for Twittering the Revolution.

We knew this was coming when Apple edited history by digitally adding an ipod to the freedom fighter in the ad. We have always been at war with Eastasia^wMicrosoft.
post #76 of 87
No doubts, 3 Mac Pro could have managed to paint the image of the whole billion of bubbles allright.

Their network connections seem to have been considered as a bottleneck. Apparently, those shouldn't be either, that's resolutely not a hurricane of downloads...

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #77 of 87
My theory as to why 20 Macs... why not?

When you're Apple and you've got plenty of Macs sitting around, it is cheaper to use those machines than it is to pay someone to more optimally configure the hardware.
post #78 of 87
It says on the wall that it's "Live from the App Store"...then it also says it's a 5 minute delay. So which is it, live or delayed? They're not the same.

Why would it be delayed 5 minutes...with 20 Mac Pros running there's certainly no computational reason for the display to be delayed 5 minutes. Certainly the sales data wouldn't require significant bandwidth either....little more than dial-up.

I think it was just a blinking display to mezmorize people...a nice promtional device to visualize and promote the idea about app sales. There's no reason to go to the extra trouble and expense to actually make it a realtime display of actual sales data. I wouldn't. And to cover my butt in case anyone says: "I just bought that app and it's not blinking on the big board", I'd slap a disclaimer on it saying the display is delayed by 5 minutes...that's longer than anyone will stare at an icon waiting for it to blink.

That's my cynical opinion, anyways...
post #79 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaic View Post

It says on the wall that it's "Live from the App Store"...then it also says it's a 5 minute delay. So which is it, live or delayed? They're not the same.

Why would it be delayed 5 minutes...with 20 Mac Pros running there's certainly no computational reason for the display to be delayed 5 minutes. Certainly the sales data wouldn't require significant bandwidth either....little more than dial-up.

I think it was just a blinking display to mezmorize people...a nice promtional device to visualize and promote the idea about app sales. There's no reason to go to the extra trouble and expense to actually make it a realtime display of actual sales data. I wouldn't. And to cover my butt in case anyone says: "I just bought that app and it's not blinking on the big board", I'd slap a disclaimer on it saying the display is delayed by 5 minutes...that's longer than anyone will stare at an icon waiting for it to blink.

That's my cynical opinion, anyways...

Live in this sense merely means that its pre-recorded, say from a bunch of App Store data pulled last week and setup on the Mac Pros. It also means that its just a fancy display randomly picking apps.

There is nothing sinister about their wording. They are taking data directly from the App Store and funneling it to these machines. Why a 5 minute delay? I couldnt tell you, but that it doesnt mean that its not live. If a delay meant that something wasnt live then youve never seen any live TV as there is always a delay just for the transmission and processing time from the camera to your TV, something they put in delay, like at award shows to make quick edits to appease the FCC asshats.

As for buying an app and having it blink 5 minutes later is absurd. Apple sold 1B apps in 9 months and are presumably selling more even now, but Ill use those numbers for my point since its all we know for certain. Im not going to look up exactly how many days and hours it was live so Ill just go with the 30 days x 9 months to get 270 days. I divide that by 1 billion app to get 3,703,703 apps a day, which is also 154,320 an hour, which is 12,860 every 5 minutes, which is 2,572 a minute which is 43 apps a second. There would be no way to catch your app if they did it that way. Id wager that the Mac Pros (if they are the ones crunching these numbers for the display) are only pooling the most downloaded apps in the last 5 minutes to make an attractive display, not one that puts seizure-prone WWDC attendees into spasms. If that is the case, then it could be defined as not being live, since the stats are tallied in 5 minute intervals, not just a delay of a stream, but that isnt how you stated it. Still, Id say live is the best choice of words to get across the idea that this display is connected to what is currently happening on the App Store.
post #80 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Live in this sense merely means that it’s pre-recorded, say from a bunch of App Store data pulled last week and setup on the Mac Pros. It also means that it’s just a fancy display randomly picking apps.

There is nothing sinister about their wording. They are taking data directly from the App Store and funneling it to these machines. Why a 5 minute delay? I couldn’t tell you, but that it doesn’t mean that it’s not live. If a delay meant that something wasn’t live then you’ve never seen any live TV as there is always a delay just for the transmission and processing time from the camera to your TV, something they put in delay, like at award shows to make quick edits to appease the FCC asshats.

This isn't TV...it's the internets.
Things can indeed be "live"...or at least any delay is in milliseconds, as you chat with people while they do video streaming and whatnot.
I could understand a small delay as data is collated from the app store and then funneled to such a display...but 5 minutes is odd to me. There's no need to buffer the data stream to guard against wardrobe malfunctions or to bleep cuss words.

It's not that I'm an Apple basher...I'm just always cynical about any big corporation, simply because at that level the game itself gets you dirty whether you like it or not.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple stuns WWDC crowd with pulsating App Store hyperwall