or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple stores to open 8 a.m., AT&T stores 7 a.m. for iPhone 3G S

Apple stores to open 8 a.m., AT&T stores 7 a.m. for iPhone 3G S

post #1 of 48
Apple has let fans know that its stores around the world will open up to two hours early to accommodate the iPhone 3G S' launch, while those eager to buy their phones at AT&T could receive theirs an hour earlier.

The iPhone maker has quietly clarified its launch plans and says that, whenever possible, Apple stores worldwide will open at 8 a.m. on June 19th in their respective time zones to help accommodate the initial rush of customers for the faster, video-capable device.

Apple's approach mirrors that it took for last year's iPhone 3G launch, when long lines formed outside of many stores hours before they opened and could potentially have interfered with other shoppers.

AT&T is also opening its doors at the same time in the US, but is offering an added incentive to early adopters. Those who pre-order an iPhone 3G S directly from one of its retail stores will have the option of walking into the store at 7 a.m and picking up theirs ahead of the general public; two queues will exist outside of each store until the wider 8 a.m. release. The cellular carrier cautions that this isn't a raincheck and that those who pre-order will have to be in line if they expect a new iPhone on launch day.

The Friday release is already expected to mark Apple's third iPhone release to be accompanied by a high-profile retail debut. Unlike last year, however, Apple and AT&T are expected to avoid the activation server outages that kept iPhone 3G customers waiting for hours, as buyers can pre-order the iPhone 3G S online and have it shipped in sync with the retail release.

post #2 of 48
I won't be in line. I do not qualify for the full discount upgrade, and don't plan on spending $500 for the 32GB iPhone.

And since my renewal to qualify for the FULL discount upgrade arrives in March 2010. I'm just going to wait until WWDC next year and the most likely iPhone 4G.
post #3 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aybara View Post

I won't be in line. I do not qualify for the full discount upgrade, and don't plan on spending $500 for the 32GB iPhone.

And since my renewal to qualify for the FULL discount upgrade arrives in March 2010. I'm just going to wait until WWDC next year and the most likely iPhone 4G.

Thanks!
post #4 of 48
I may do the fanboi thing for the first time ever, and go into a store on the opening morning... I qualify for an immediate upgrade. (yay)

Anyone know if UK O2 stores are opening early on the Friday?
post #5 of 48
What about Best Buy? Had a gift card burning a hole in my wallet since Xmas.
post #6 of 48
Quote:

Ditto. Or I might try and sell my 16GB iPhone 3G, but unless I get a decent amount for it, I'll probably just stick with what I have.
post #7 of 48
Yea, you can "get" an iPhone an hour earlier at ATT stores....if you arrive at 2am and are one of the first 10 people in line because that is all they will have on hand. Everyone else will get a "voucher" they can pick one up with "soon". Both for my 2G and my wifes 3g we went to a large ATT store several hours before they opened and didnt get one, but drove to the Apple store an hour away and got one on opening day.

Fool me twice shame on you ATT...the point is...cant get fooled again. <heh heh>
post #8 of 48
That guy in the video has crazy eyes. *head tilt*
post #9 of 48
The only time I did the 'fanboi wait in line' routine is when I just so happened to need a computer and Apple emailed me a 10% discount notice a few days before a OS release.

I met Phil S. a hour before release time and he showed me Expose. Wow! I ran home and drained my bank account..as Apple wasn't accepting checks back then.

So I lugged home $6000 worth of Apple gear (to play 3D games), saving $600 and thought I got a great deal. Too much machine for my needs and now it's gone, gone gone as Apple switched to Intel.

Impulsive sales suck and Apple is good at it, Phil is a genius at it.

I'll stick with my cheap phone that only costs me $10 a month. I got wifi and a computer, does a lot.

I'll take the iPhone apps on my MBP though...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
post #10 of 48
I am one of the lucky ones. I dont have an iphone (first gen ipod touch) and my contract is up in august. I was eligible for the 16gig 3gs for $199 so i preordered one and it should be at my house on the 19th .

No waiting in line for me.
post #11 of 48
Quote:

I'm just going to wait until WWDC next year and the most likely iPhone 4G.

That's a good question, Apple named the new iPhone the 3Gs "s for speed".

In my experience, when a company adds a little bit to a existing product name, like Apple did, it's a intermediate product.

Like 'Edge Plus" for example or 2.5G.

So if this version of the iPhone is still 3G and AT&T is rolling out 4G, where does that leave someone in a year with a 2 year contract?

A powerful phone, but can't take advantage of 4G networks to work to it's full potential? Video doesn't work well etc?

So? Spend an additional $200 to cancel the present contract for the iPhone 3Gs and get the iPhone 4G?

It's like AT&T and Apple are not in sych with each other.

Tethering for example, AT&T makes big money with their wifi connect cards, why should they allow that on iPhones?

Wifi connect cards incur a fee of $60 a month and a tiny 5GB per month download limit.

blah...
post #12 of 48
AT&T is offering free overnight shipping, so I decided to go that route. Camping out would've been fun, though.
post #13 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

That's a good question, Apple named the new iPhone the 3Gs "s for speed".

In my experience, when a company adds a little bit to a existing product name, like Apple did, it's a intermediate product.

Like 'Edge Plus" for example or 2.5G.

So if this version of the iPhone is still 3G and AT&T is rolling out 4G, where does that leave someone in a year with a 2 year contract?

A powerful phone, but can't take advantage of 4G networks to work to it's full potential? Video doesn't work well etc?

So? Spend an additional $200 to cancel the present contract for the iPhone 3Gs and get the iPhone 4G?

It's like AT&T and Apple are not in sych with each other.

Tethering for example, AT&T makes big money with their wifi connect cards, why should they allow that on iPhones?

Wifi connect cards incur a fee of $60 a month and a tiny 5GB per month download limit.

blah...

I don't think you're really going to have to worry about missing out on AT&T's extensive 4G network by this time next year......

And it's not like they're going to throw a switch and turn off their 3G network. If the iPhone 3G S is a good phone next week and does what you want, it will still do those things in a year.

I mean, when you buy a laptop do you brood about how they're going to make newer ones that go faster and refuse to let you trade it in after a year for credit?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #14 of 48
This could be my first Apple wait in line. Could be. I want my phone on Friday. First iPhone.

Anyone ever had problems porting a number? What do I need to bring with me?
post #15 of 48
When will ATT decide to publish them? The day before 3GS starts?
Marquiz d' Gabber von Gabberaarde

... and Windows Vista...
... fails on the Moon...
... 6x slower!
Marquiz d' Gabber von Gabberaarde

... and Windows Vista...
... fails on the Moon...
... 6x slower!
post #16 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

This could be my first Apple wait in line. Could be. I want my phone on Friday. First iPhone.

You will need your account number and the person whoever is the primary on the account.
post #17 of 48
I'll be camping out the night before. This will be my 3rd time doing so. It's cool that they're offering it in the morning. That means we just have to spend the night on the street instead of the night when it's cold and the day when it's hot in the sun.
post #18 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

That would be early for AT&T. So far, it appears that the rate plans and options are staying the same. AT&T is more reactive and proactive but I cant believe that even they would not have published rate plan changes a 9 days before launch.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #19 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I don't think you're really going to have to worry about missing out on AT&T's extensive 4G network by this time next year......

And it's not like they're going to throw a switch and turn off their 3G network. If the iPhone 3G S is a good phone next week and does what you want, it will still do those things in a year.

I mean, when you buy a laptop do you brood about how they're going to make newer ones that go faster and refuse to let you trade it in after a year for credit?

I'd like to get more than just a mere two years of value from any iPhone (or Mac), and especially not the last year suffering with a outdated standard, and the whole time with a powerful iPhone but handicapped by 3G slowness.

That's what I'm trying to figure, is if ATT is going to roll out 4G within the year, perhaps Apple is going to release a 4G model shortly afterwards.

It's a game of meeting the latest iPhone with the latest network speed.
post #20 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

You will need your account number and the person whoever is the primary on the account.

Thanks footloose. The primary on the account is my wife and I don't see her making it to the store.

The Apple site says I can preorder and the phone will arrive on the 19th. Anyone think this isn't true? I prefer that to waiting in line if it's a sure thing. Did they arrive on the shipping date last year if you pre-ordered?

If I do order online can I just port the number later from VZW?

Thanks for answering so many questions.
post #21 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I'd like to get more than just a mere two years of value from any iPhone (or Mac), and especially not the last year suffering with a outdated standard, and the whole time with a powerful iPhone but handicapped by 3G slowness.

That's what I'm trying to figure, is if ATT is going to roll out 4G within the year, perhaps Apple is going to release a 4G model shortly afterwards.

It's a game of meeting the latest iPhone with the latest network speed.

You won't get any less value from the iPhone if you buy a new one. You'll be gaining OS updates and features, and AT&T's network will speed up and offer more coverage than it currently does. You lose nothing.

As Addabox stated, when 4G goes live 3G is still there. 2G is still there and with more coverage than 3G for all US carriers.

But there is a lot of 3G growth left before AT&T will pop up its first 4G LTE radio tower. First of all, there are no chips for it right now for small power conscious devices. I have a 3G USB card from AT&T and it only has a 14.4Mbps/2.0Mbps chip. Secondly, AT&T still HSDPA @ 14.4Mbps and HSUPA and Evolved HSPA offering 42Mbps down and 21Mbps up before it reaches its 3G cap. These are 3G and these aren't in use either.

Don't get caught in the LTE hype from Verizon. It's a tactic that won't come to fruition for many years in the capacity 3G is right now.
post #22 of 48
I have a few questions if someone could help me out:

1. At 8am will I be able to buy an iPhone 3G S at the no-commit price of 599/699?

2. What time do you guys think the line will start to form in front of Apple Stores?

3. My local Apple Store is in a mall, will the mall open early to accommodate a line, how will this work?

Thanks.
post #23 of 48
At &T won't have a 4G network for a while. It will be at least a couple of years. In the short term they are focused on a HSPA technology rollout.

The iPhone 3Gs can access HSPA (3.5G).

http://gigaom.com/2009/05/07/atts-sl...-taking-shape/

The next big revolution in iPhones will have more to do with Apple's homegrown chips.
post #24 of 48
Quote:

go to Apple's website and fill out the whole 'get started here' thing on the iphone page. at the end you can even reserve the model you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

assume they are staying the same. they certainly aren't likely to go down. if they do then you are in luck.

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks footloose. The primary on the account is my wife and I don't see her making it to the store.

if she's the primary she has to be there. they won't let you buy it. not with a contract (and without would be $400 more and still locked to ATT)

Quote:
Did they arrive on the shipping date last year if you pre-ordered?

last year you couldn't order online. that's something that is only about 2 months old.

what you need to verify is when your existing phone goes dead. is it when they process the order or when you get it and plug it into itunes. if it is the latter than ask yourself if it makes that much of a difference if you happen to not get it until Saturday or Monday.

Quote:
If I do order online can I just port the number later from VZW?

you would likely need to run the port request at the same time. but again, if they aren't cutting your old phone until the new one goes into itunes, what's the harm. why not avoid the lines and then your wife can order from phone and you don't have to drag her to the store

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #25 of 48
well... I asked my gf if she wanted to get it and she wants a pre.... so I won't be in line... the phone isn't even worth the price if ur not in contract.... iPhone 3g is pretty much the same thing....
post #26 of 48
Thanks for the info Charlituna

My new plan is to order from the online Apple Store. I'm taking my wife's Verizon number and since I can't take her to the store on Friday this seems like the easiest way - as it's her account.

I'll just let AT&T assign me a number and then get it changed at an AT&T store later. Ordering online seems like the easiest way to make sure I get a phone on June 19. Barring some unforeseen incident...
post #27 of 48
Quote:

Thanks for the info Charlituna

My new plan is to order from the online Apple Store. I'm taking my wife's Verizon number and since I can't take her to the store on Friday this seems like the easiest way - as it's her account.

I'll just let AT&T assign me a number and then get it changed at an AT&T store later. Ordering online seems like the easiest way to make sure I get a phone on June 19. Barring some unforeseen incident...

You should get it. I believe its overnight shipping. I ordered Leopard for my MacBook Pro and received it on the very same day that it was released. But, nothing is guaranteed obviously. Apple usually uses Fedex for things, so I'd say you're safe.

I would order online, but my phone is in the GF's name and she needs to be to work by 8:30am (haha), so I need to make sure I'm first in line, and I cannot take the chance of having Fedex show up to my house after 4PM because I will be 2hrs away camping at that time. So, I need it first thing in the morning that day.
post #28 of 48
Quote:

You should get it. I believe its overnight shipping. I ordered Leopard for my MacBook Pro and received it on the very same day that it was released. But, nothing is guaranteed obviously. Apple usually uses Fedex for things, so I'd say you're safe.

I would order online, but my phone is in the GF's name and she needs to be to work by 8:30am (haha), so I need to make sure I'm first in line, and I cannot take the chance of having Fedex show up to my house after 4PM because I will be 2hrs away camping at that time. So, I need it first thing in the morning that day.

I just ordered it for home delivery. Pretty easy process. Now if I could just sleep until Friday...

Good luck on Friday Footloose !
post #29 of 48
Could someone answer the questions I asked a little while ago?

Many thanks.
post #30 of 48
Quote:

This is what you need to bring with you if you want me to port your number over when i start selling the iphones!

Account number from your current carrier

and now this is the most important thing...................your phone number
Apple macbook, Iphone 3G and Iphone 3GS
Apple macbook, Iphone 3G and Iphone 3GS
post #31 of 48
Queuing up would be fun. But all this telco stuff is so complicated it would be mighty embarrassing to be the among the first five and then get your application rejected because of this or that.
post #32 of 48
Has anyone seen the prices in the UK with O2?

They are ridiculously more expensive than last year's 3G, they haven't let us upgrade earlier... Just rubbish. For instance, last year's top of the line, 3G 16gb, was £149,00 with an 18 months contract at £35,00. This year's top of the line, the 3GS 32, is £274,23 with the same contract. Even the 3Gs 16gb is more expensive than last year's 16gb.

I know that this is a better phone, but time has passed... and I would expect last year's price to be kept to some extent.

I'll be sticking to mine 3G so long as they keep this ridiculous prices.
post #33 of 48
Apple fever is running high.

I found this article about apple /iphone pricing online. A good read.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/0...-subscription/
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #34 of 48
I can't imagine there will be much of a line. I don't expect many sales.
Anyone who has wanted an iPhone has one by now, especially an iPhone 3G and is in the middle of a two year contract and will have sticker shock at $399 or $499 for the phone.
Won't happen. Won't sell many.

I predict the only big seller will be the 8GB iPhone 3G for $99. And folks won't be that eager for it that they'll wait in line.

Might even be embarrassing if they make this fuss and no one shows up. Will be a bad news day.
post #35 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel0418 View Post

... iPhone 3g is pretty much the same thing....

Except for the much faster processor, double the RAM and the camera/compass hardware.
post #36 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by markb View Post

Yea, you can "get" an iPhone an hour earlier at ATT stores....if you arrive at 2am and are one of the first 10 people in line because that is all they will have on hand. Everyone else will get a "voucher" they can pick one up with "soon". Both for my 2G and my wifes 3g we went to a large ATT store several hours before they opened and didnt get one, but drove to the Apple store an hour away and got one on opening day.

Fool me twice shame on you ATT...the point is...cant get fooled again. <heh heh>

Uh, no, if you pre-order you are guaranteed one. You couldn't pre-order before, so this time it is different.
post #37 of 48
So after watching two iphone releases bring Apple's network down for days, people are still going to buy their phones day-of release, and then have to leave it plugged into their computer for two days while the overwhelmed servers try to startup millions of phones at the same time?
post #38 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

So after watching two iphone releases bring Apple's network down for days, people are still going to buy their phones day-of release, and then have to leave it plugged into their computer for two days while the overwhelmed servers try to startup millions of phones at the same time?

I'm on the east coast. Its 8am here before it is anywhere else. I'll be first in line like I was last year and I won't have to worry about that crap.
post #39 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmemarcio View Post

Has anyone seen the prices in the UK with O2?

They are ridiculously more expensive than last year's 3G, they haven't let us upgrade earlier... Just rubbish. For instance, last year's top of the line, 3G 16gb, was £149,00 with an 18 months contract at £35,00. This year's top of the line, the 3GS 32, is £274,23 with the same contract. Even the 3Gs 16gb is more expensive than last year's 16gb.

I know that this is a better phone, but time has passed... and I would expect last year's price to be kept to some extent.

I'll be sticking to mine 3G so long as they keep this ridiculous prices.

You'll not be alone. O2 are having a laugh and with the tethering charge killing off a very useful part of the OS 3.0 update. My 3G is working fine, so I'll let the software update work it's magic and hope that the rumour of O2 losing their iPhone franchise before Dec materialises.
post #40 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

Uh, no, if you pre-order you are guaranteed one. You couldn't pre-order before, so this time it is different.

I pre-ordered mine at an AT&T store...and I know what AT&T is saying and all, the store said there are no guarantees.
The manager said that they will get a supply of them in for Friday, but the preorder ones may, or may not be there. Just because you pre-ordered it doesn't mean the one with your name on it will come in for Friday.

Soooo I'm kinda bothered by it as they don't have all the info that is posted here by AT&T.
I told her how the post said 2 lines should form at the store and blah blah blah (this conversation took place last Tues), but it was like talking to wall.

She told me they will call me when mine comes in, and if it is Friday, there's a good chance they will be so busy that they WON'T call any of the pre-order people as they will be too swamped.

I know, you guys probably think this is nuts. So even though I pre-ordered, the only way to guarantee myself one she said is to be there before everyone else. I'm not happy about it, I will go back on Saturday to see if they have gotten any more info from corp about it as I need my family to pick out the phones they want for the other lines.

Take this how you want and hopefully your store has been better informed and the pre-order people will get the special treatment they deserve...as it looks like so far...I won't .
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple stores to open 8 a.m., AT&T stores 7 a.m. for iPhone 3G S