or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Added value of OS X over Windows
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Added value of OS X over Windows

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 
I don't want to start a flame war over whether or not Macs are "too expensive". I'm simply asking a hypothetical question.

Given two computers with totally identical specs (CPU, hard drive, RAM, USB ports, webcam, etc), how much more would you pay for one with OS X as opposed to one with Windows (XP, Vista, or 7), either in percentage of the price or in dollars?

Hackintoshes don't factor in, since this is a hypothetical question.

Personally, I'd be prepared to pay up to 50% more, but that's just me.
post #2 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

I don't want to start a flame war over whether or not Macs are "too expensive". I'm simply asking a hypothetical question.

Given two computers with totally identical specs (CPU, hard drive, RAM, USB ports, webcam, etc), how much more would you pay for one with OS X as opposed to one with Windows (XP, Vista, or 7), either in percentage of the price or in dollars?

Hackintoshes don't factor in, since this is a hypothetical question.

Personally, I'd be prepared to pay up to 50% more, but that's just me.

%25 to %30 more.

I just identify with Apple's design aesthetic and ideology more than Microsoft. Though I'm sensitive to these traits in other areas as well.

I've never found Microsoft to be particularly innovative. Everything they've done has largely been an ape of someone else.

From copying Novell Netware to many elements of Mac OS they've excelled via brute force rather than software design skill.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #3 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I've never found Microsoft to be particularly innovative. Everything they've done has largely been an ape of someone else.

Clearly you don't know anything. You're probably the type that worships Steve Jobs every night.

If I had my way, a machine running Mac OS X would cost exactly the same as a machine running Windows. Neither is better than the other. Each have their own set of advantages and disadvantages.
post #4 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

Clearly you don't know anything. You're probably the type that worships Steve Jobs every night.

...and clearly, unlike the OP, you do want to start a flame war.
Aside from that bag of hurt, Mrs Lincoln, what did you think of the play?
Reply
Aside from that bag of hurt, Mrs Lincoln, what did you think of the play?
Reply
post #5 of 34
I would pay more for an Apple computer, just because it has better value. My Dell, which was the same price as my iMac (1500, around) after three years had so many problems, either caused by viruses or hardware, it was crazy. And the slowness of the computer killed me (it was running XP, btw). However, my iMac -- three years old now -- still runs pretty fast. Sure, it has it's problem, but I still have sound (unlike my Dell), my ethernet still works (unlike my Dell) and it starts up quick (unlike my Dell).

So, yes Dell's are cheaper (and other PC brands), but how long are the parts going to last? We have bought several sound cards for the Dell, installed them, and it would work for a while then stop. Finally, we got one to work, but then the ethernet card broke. It's really been a headache, while my iMac has been (pretty much) worry free. And it appears Snow Leopard will make it even faster, unlike Vista which can't even run on my Dell (which, actually, the Dell is my parents now -- but use to be my Dell before I moved out three years ago). But I still use the Dell when I come over.

So yea, I would gladly pay more for an Apple computer.
post #6 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

Clearly you don't know anything. You're probably the type that worships Steve Jobs every night.

If I had my way, a machine running Mac OS X would cost exactly the same as a machine running Windows. Neither is better than the other. Each have their own set of advantages and disadvantages.

I must not, since you've so eloquently rebutted my claims with so much damning evidence and undeniable logic that I stand before you in abject defeat.

Let's break down just a couple of facts.

1. You don't have your way.
2. Claiming that neither platform is better than the other is opinion which cannot be proven nor disproven nor supported with any semblance of logic so it's a vacuous statement.

Your wishy washy "everything is equal and nothing really matters" smack of mediocrity and low brow thinking. Id have respected your post more if you had added a modicum of substance and framed your debate about the relative merits of each platform. Added bonus on arguing from the affirmative and the negative.

You lost with the lead off ad hominem.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #7 of 34
It would have to depend on the machine. 50% of Mac Pro money is quite a lot more than 50% of a Mini.

The iMac and Mini I'd say 25% but probably 15% of the Mac Pro.
For the 13" and 15" laptops up to 50%, the 17" up to 30%.

Durability on the laptop side is crucial as well as cooling, the mag-safe etc.

Right now, I feel Apple's products are a bit too highly priced. I know in the UK it's partly to do with the exchange rate now but when the dollar was down, the UK prices didn't fall to amazing value. International customers are treated unfairly in Apple's business model.

As of the current exchange, $1699 = £1023 and yet the cheapest 15" MBP is £1299. Where does the £276 extra come from? Tax doesn't come into it unless Apple charge $458 tax on top of the $1699 online price.

This annoys me more than comparisons with other manufacturers. I would pay 50% more for a Macbook Pro than a Dell but I grudge paying 27% more than an American when buying from the same company. Fair enough, charge £1099 and put in a £50 premium but £276 is ridiculous.

Dell does the same though - the exact same spec Alienware comes out at £1759 UK vs $2074. Going by the UK price, it should cost $2917. By the US price, it should be £1250. This is over £500 ($843) extra just for being in the UK.

Are they shipping these by eskimo in a canoe? In the case of the Dell, I could actually get a return flight to the US and pick one of these up individually and bring it back for that.
post #8 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

As of the current exchange, $1699 = £1023 and yet the cheapest 15" MBP is £1299. Where does the £276 extra come from? Tax doesn't come into it...

Of course tax comes into it. The US $1699 doesn't include tax but the UK £1299 does. Today's rate according to x-rates.com is 1.64 so $1699 = £1036, add 15% tax and you get £1191. So yeah, Apple is still ripping us off but it's not as bad as you're making out.

On the original question: for exactly the same hardware, if it's my primary machine, I'd probably pay £200 or more extra for OS X; Windows 7 may change this as it looks like it's quite a lot better than Vista. However, back in the real world the hardware isn't exactly the same - I'm a laptop user and think Apple has vastly superior hardware to everyone else (there's a lot more to hardware than just processor, HDD and RAM) which is why I pay a lot more for it.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #9 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I must not, since you've so eloquently rebutted my claims with so much damning evidence and undeniable logic that I stand before you in abject defeat.

Let's break down just a couple of facts.

1. You don't have your way.
2. Claiming that neither platform is better than the other is opinion which cannot be proven nor disproven nor supported with any semblance of logic so it's a vacuous statement.

Your wishy washy "everything is equal and nothing really matters" smack of mediocrity and low brow thinking. Id have respected your post more if you had added a modicum of substance and framed your debate about the relative merits of each platform. Added bonus on arguing from the affirmative and the negative.

You lost with the lead off ad hominem.

Excellent post. Well said. I await Quillz's posting of a list of Microsoft's home-grown innovations.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #10 of 34
Assuming that both machines were of the same quality and price (hardware), I would pay $129 (US) more for Mac OS X

Cheers
post #11 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post

Assuming that both machines were of the same quality and price (hardware), I would pay $129 (US) more for Mac OS X

Cheers

Yeah!! even a whole lot MORE OSX RULES!!!!
Get A Mac.
Reply
Get A Mac.
Reply
post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Of course tax comes into it. The US $1699 doesn't include tax but the UK £1299 does. Today's rate according to x-rates.com is 1.64 so $1699 = £1036, add 15% tax and you get £1191. So yeah, Apple is still ripping us off but it's not as bad as you're making out.

I just read online that this may be why some people buy from Amazon as it has no sales tax when shipping to certain states.

"The following is a partial list of merchants selling items at Amazon.com which may be included in your order, and the states in which they charge sales tax.

Amazon.com LLC: KS, KY, ND, NY* and WA
Amazon Digital Services, Inc.: KY, ND, NY* and WA
Magazine Express, Inc.: AL and WA
Synapse Services, Inc.: WA only
Target.com/ITC: All states other than AK and VT"

So buying the following MBP for $1694 might not be any more than that in states not listed above.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-...790695&sr=1-49

The fact that $1699 doesn't include tax then, I'd say it's overpriced. Including tax, not so much. In the UK, £1099 I'd say was reasonable but £1299 not so much given that it's the cheapest 15" laptop you can get from Apple and other manufacturers have 15" laptops for £500.
post #13 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

In the UK, £1099 I'd say was reasonable but £1299 not so much given that it's the cheapest 15" laptop you can get from Apple and other manufacturers have 15" laptops for £500.

I've long been of the opinion that it's time for Apple to stop tying computing power to screen size. I think £1199 would be reasonable for this model given what it's got on board. Those £500 15" laptops are big and heavy, with low-res, poor gamut and viewing angle screens, no firewire, no digital audio I/O, no backlit keyboard and no OS X.

I think Apple is big enough now that it could handle a serious expansion of its range. Time to invest that money into expanding the production line to handle more customisation. They've already got a full range of MacBook Pro bodies from 13" to 17", now it should expand the MacBook line to range from 13" to 17" as well. Then, each line should be fully customisable. Want the 17" screen but the slowest processor, less RAM and smallest HDD to save money? You've got it.

Apple will never do it though because they're scared of cannibalisation. Weirdly, they've never had that same fear with iPods. Better that you cannibalise your products rather than someone else.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I just read online that this may be why some people buy from Amazon as it has no sales tax when shipping to certain states.

"The following is a partial list of merchants selling items at Amazon.com which may be included in your order, and the states in which they charge sales tax.

Amazon.com LLC: KS, KY, ND, NY* and WA
Amazon Digital Services, Inc.: KY, ND, NY* and WA
Magazine Express, Inc.: AL and WA
Synapse Services, Inc.: WA only
Target.com/ITC: All states other than AK and VT"

So buying the following MBP for $1694 might not be any more than that in states not listed above.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-...790695&sr=1-49

The fact that $1699 doesn't include tax then, I'd say it's overpriced. Including tax, not so much. In the UK, £1099 I'd say was reasonable but £1299 not so much given that it's the cheapest 15" laptop you can get from Apple and other manufacturers have 15" laptops for £500.

Subtract the difference of US Sales tax from the VAT rate and you'll still get a more expensive product on import.
post #15 of 34
My beef is not with the cost of Macs, but I do not appreciate the extreme over-charging of things like memory. Clearly, that is gouging.
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

My beef is not with the cost of Macs, but I do not appreciate the extreme over-charging of things like memory. Clearly, that is gouging.

Macs use standard RAM. It does not magically become more expensive because you buy it for a Mac.
post #17 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

My beef is not with the cost of Macs, but I do not appreciate the extreme over-charging of things like memory. Clearly, that is gouging.

Although they've gotten quite a bit better with that as of late. For instance, you can bump the new 13" MacBook Pro from 2 to 4 gigs for $100 bucks, compared to the $50 it would cost to buy a 2GB stick. Not a deal, by any means, but not remotely the insanity of yore. Actually in line with the likes of Dell.

However, the jump to 8GB for the 15 inchers is still quite mad at a cool grand, I see.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I've long been of the opinion that it's time for Apple to stop tying computing power to screen size. I think £1199 would be reasonable for this model given what it's got on board. Those £500 15" laptops are big and heavy, with low-res, poor gamut and viewing angle screens, no firewire, no digital audio I/O, no backlit keyboard and no OS X.

I think Apple is big enough now that it could handle a serious expansion of its range. Time to invest that money into expanding the production line to handle more customisation. They've already got a full range of MacBook Pro bodies from 13" to 17", now it should expand the MacBook line to range from 13" to 17" as well. Then, each line should be fully customisable. Want the 17" screen but the slowest processor, less RAM and smallest HDD to save money? You've got it.

Apple will never do it though because they're scared of cannibalisation. Weirdly, they've never had that same fear with iPods. Better that you cannibalise your products rather than someone else.

I saw an interesting article/blog post somewhere, can't remember where, speculating that the fact that Apple has loaded up the "MacBook Pro" category with 6 models and left the entire "MacBook" line with a single model, and one that's an older design at that, suggests that they're clearing the space for something new.

Could be a family of newly designed, cheaper laptops, could be something new with the "MacBook" as a modifier ("MacBook Touch"? "MacBook Net"?), or maybe they just wanted to free up the MacBook name for the fabled giant iPhone whatchamacallit.

Anyway, once you think about it it actually makes sense. Leaving the white MacBook as the lone exemplar of what Apple has often called their best selling Mac doesn't make much sense, even if the new low end MacBook Pros are priced like the former MacBooks.

That's a lot of brand power just kind of sitting around, you have to imagine Apple has big plans for the segment.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

I don't want to start a flame war over whether or not Macs are "too expensive". I'm simply asking a hypothetical question.

Given two computers with totally identical specs (CPU, hard drive, RAM, USB ports, webcam, etc), how much more would you pay for one with OS X as opposed to one with Windows (XP, Vista, or 7), either in percentage of the price or in dollars?

Hackintoshes don't factor in, since this is a hypothetical question.

Personally, I'd be prepared to pay up to 50% more, but that's just me.

I have to say, the new $1600 15 inch MBP is a giant screw you to those asking for a cheaper macbook pro...let me explain

to modify James Carvils famous line, "It's the GPU, STUPID!" Apple neutered the pro laptop at $1600 in order to get a lower price tag, the fact is that the $1999 MBP compares to a $1000-1400 PC notebook. that is nuts...the $1600 MBP is about $700-$1000 on the PC side.

OK A Dell for $1300 is on par with the macbook pro at $2000...
Why pay $700 more for an apple, particularly with Windows 7 coming, why pay the Mac Tax?
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
post #20 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

OK A Dell for $1300 is on par with the macbook pro at $2000...

Really? How much does that Dell weigh? How big is it? Does it have a seven hour battery life? A battery that's good for 1000 recharge cycles? Does it have digital audio I/O? A glass trackpad with multi-touch gestures? Gigabit ethernet? Powered firewire? Target disk mode?
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Really? How much does that Dell weigh? How big is it? Does it have a seven hour battery life? A battery that's good for 1000 recharge cycles? Does it have digital audio I/O? A glass trackpad with multi-touch gestures? Gigabit ethernet? Powered firewire? Target disk mode?

How much does that Dell weigh? 6.4 - 1LB more than the macbook

How big is it? Height: 0.95" on both laptops
Does it have a seven hour battery life? 2-ish hrs in real world testing using vista - I have read estimates that claim a 50% better number in 7, as compared to the 6 ish that one can expect with the MBP, this is a clear win for the MBP, but good luck changing the battery when it dies on ya...
A battery that's good for 1000 recharge cycles? Dell is using the Lithium Ion for this one, not Lithium Polymer like Apple, so another win for apple
Does it have digital audio I/O? not directly, but it has firewire, which most audio guys use anyway.
A glass trackpad with multi-touch gestures? All track pads suck, even apples, no, dell isnt using multitouch and glass, but sheesh, I have used laptops exclusively for almost 2 uyears and almost never touch the track pad, who doesnt use an external mouse?
Gigabit ethernet? yes sir.
Powered firewire? yup Target disk mode? no but it can boot to any usb device, flash or what have you

Now lets talk about the MBPs weak points:

Does the $2000 MBP have any blue ray option? Nope - it is an extra $150on the Dell, Hell, Dell even has an option for a BD BURNER: one wonders why Apple is taken so seriously in the pro video space when they dont support blueray whatsoever...

HDMI? Heck no, not on Steves watch - being compatible with every display device sold in the last few years and in the forseeable future is a "bag o' hurt"

PCCard slot? Nope, Apple took that away...it lives on in the Dell

Card reader? Apple reads 1 type,the Dell reads 8

GPU Memory: the $1999 MBP has 256, the dell has 512

integrated cell internet? no go on apple, Dell offers choice of none, VZW or att
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
post #22 of 34
It seems to me that you're fixated on the tech specs and forgetting some of the other specifications that are key in a laptop: weight, size, battery life and build quality. Those are top priorities for me, as long as they don't seriously compromise performance/connectivity (hence no MacBook Air for me). So, no, your Dell doesn't even begin to compare to the 15" MacBook Pro.


Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

How big is it?

If you tell me which particular Dell you're thinking of, I'll answer this for you as you haven't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

but good luck changing the battery when it dies on ya...

If you mean replacing it after those 1000 recharge cycles are up, have you not seen the tear-downs? Replacing these batteries is very easy. If you mean replacing the battery when it dies after 7 hours to give you another 7 hours - there are plenty of external battery packs on the market, even some huge one that'll give another 20 hours run time! The benefits of a "built-in" (in quotes as it's not soldered in) battery easily outweigh the supposed drawbacks (there aren't any IMHO).

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

All track pads suck, even apples, no, dell isnt using multitouch and glass, but sheesh, I have used laptops exclusively for almost 2 uyears and almost never touch the track pad, who doesnt use an external mouse?

Sure, I can mouse a lot faster with a mouse, but the trackpad doesn't suck. I use the multi-touch gestures all the time and the fact that it's glass means that it doesn't misbehave with sweaty fingers and won't age like other trackpads. It is easily the best built-in laptop pointing device I've ever used.


Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Powered firewire? Yup

I suspect you're wrong. It's probably the non-powered Firewire 400 type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Target disk mode? no but it can boot to any usb device, flash or what have you

Those are not equivalents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Does the $2000 MBP have any blue ray option? Nope - it is an extra $150on the Dell, Hell, Dell even has an option for a BD BURNER...

I whole-heartedly agree. Apple's insistence on ignoring blu-ray is starting to piss me off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

HDMI? Heck no

That's odd, because I've plugged my MacBook Pro (and MacBook before that) into my 50" plasma via its HDMI input port several times, and used it to watch HDCP protected content from the iTunes store. You do realise that HDMI is just DVI+audio? So all you need is a Display Port to DVI adaptor and a DVI to HDMI cable? Presumably, display port to HDMI cables will appear at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Card reader? Apple reads 1 type,the Dell reads 8

Oh noes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

GPU Memory: the $1999 MBP has 256, the dell has 512

Dell wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

PCCard slot? Nope, Apple took that away

Because less than 1% of people use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

integrated cell internet? no go on apple

Nice to have if you're a real road-warrior, but there's always USB sticks for everyone else.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #23 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Although they've gotten quite a bit better with that as of late. For instance, you can bump the new 13" MacBook Pro from 2 to 4 gigs for $100 bucks, compared to the $50 it would cost to buy a 2GB stick. Not a deal, by any means, but not remotely the insanity of yore. Actually in line with the likes of Dell.

However, the jump to 8GB for the 15 inchers is still quite mad at a cool grand, I see.

OWC:
8.0GB Upgrade Kit
(4.0GB Modules x 2 Set)
$634.99

$365 less than Apple asks. Less than 2/3 of what Apple asks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Me

Macs use standard RAM. It does not magically become more expensive because you buy it for a Mac.

Certainly not magically more expensive. What would you call it?
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
post #24 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Certainly not magically more expensive. What would you call it?

I think Mr. Me misunderstood. He thought that the poster he was replying to was saying that RAM for Macs is expensive, full stop. In fact, the poster meant that specifically Apple charge rip-off prices for RAM upgrades, which is true and probably always will be.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

OWC:
8.0GB Upgrade Kit
(4.0GB Modules x 2 Set)
$634.99

$365 less than Apple asks. Less than 2/3 of what Apple asks.

Yes, as I say, quite mad. But the move from 2 to 4 gigs is fairly reasonable, whereas before it was also insane, so perhaps there is hope.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Yes, as I say, quite mad. But the move from 2 to 4 gigs is fairly reasonable, whereas before it was also insane, so perhaps there is hope.

I don't share your assessment that the upgrade from 2 to 4 is reasonable. The 2 gig configuration is 2 x 1 GiB, and the 4 gig is 2 x 2 GiB. So, Apple takes out two sticks worth $13 each, and puts in two sticks worth $24 each (prices from newegg.com). A fair upgrade price would therefore be $22, but Apple charges $100, or in other words, 355% too much.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I don't share your assessment that the upgrade from 2 to 4 is reasonable. The 2 gig configuration is 2 x 1 GiB, and the 4 gig is 2 x 2 GiB. So, Apple takes out two sticks worth $13 each, and puts in two sticks worth $24 each (prices from newegg.com). A fair upgrade price would therefore be $22, but Apple charges $100, or in other words, 355% too much.

Pretty much what Dell charges for a similar upgrade, so while it might not be "fair" it doesn't seem be the old style Apple crazy.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Pretty much what Dell charges for a similar upgrade, so while it might not be "fair" it doesn't seem be the old style Apple crazy.

It never ceases to amaze me that some people can get so exercised over prices that they are not required to pay. Apple offers memory as a convenience to its customers. Convenience pricing is expensive. Complaining about Apple RAM pricing makes about as much sense as complaining about the grocery prices in the 7-Eleven that is across the street from a Safeway supermarket.
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

It never ceases to amaze me that some people can get so exercised over prices that they are not required to pay. Apple offers memory as a convenience to its customers. Convenience pricing is expensive. Complaining about Apple RAM pricing makes about as much sense as complaining about the grocery prices in the 7-Eleven that is across the street from a Safeway supermarket.

I feel you are putting me down. Your comments may be true if you're not technically challenged like some of us. I'll bet you wouldn't fix a broken transmission in your car that would be a lot less expensive than letting the dealer fix it. It's all a matter of perspective. How about it? Would you fix something like that? There are manuals that would lead you step by step to accomplish the repair. I know it's many degrees beyond upgrading a computer, but the situation is the same. I know that if I missed a step, I could go back and redo it. I doubt that's true of a piece of electronic gear. I've rebuilt and fixed every aspect of a car, but I'm unwilling to dig into electronic equipment.

I'd be uncomfortable delving into a Mini, for example, even though the process has been discussed step by step by Marvin in this forum. I'd be concerned that I'd do something wrong that would mess up the Mini and void the warranty. That concern would put me in a position of either paying Apple's exorbitant RAM prices or not having maximum RAM. I'm sure that puts many, many of other users in the same position. Otherwise, Apple wouldn't be able to sell many upgrades. So, your comment doesn't hold water

Edit: I have to qualify my above comments. I USED to do all my own car repairs. I stopped doing that when electronics began showing up in newer cars.
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
post #30 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I feel you are putting me down. Your comments may be true if you're not technically challenged like some of us. ...

Boo-hoo. Convenience pricing does not discriminate between those who need the convenience and those who don't.
post #31 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Boo-hoo. Convenience pricing does not discriminate between those who need the convenience and those who don't.

That's quite a rebuttal, but avoids the point. You were probably on your high school debating team.
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
post #32 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

OWC:
8.0GB Upgrade Kit
(4.0GB Modules x 2 Set)
$634.99

$365 less than Apple asks. Less than 2/3 of what Apple asks.


Certainly not magically more expensive. What would you call it?

What I find hilarious is that you carry on this concern. It's a well known fact that Apple charges more for RAM that anyone can purchase from third parties.

If you can't put RAM in the new systems you shouldn't be handling large machinery let alone a computer.
post #33 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

I don't want to start a flame war over whether or not Macs are "too expensive". I'm simply asking a hypothetical question.

Given two computers with totally identical specs (CPU, hard drive, RAM, USB ports, webcam, etc), how much more would you pay for one with OS X as opposed to one with Windows (XP, Vista, or 7), either in percentage of the price or in dollars?

Hackintoshes don't factor in, since this is a hypothetical question.

Personally, I'd be prepared to pay up to 50% more, but that's just me.

I wouldn't pay any extra for OS X if the hardware was the same. Most Linux users would argue 'if your going to use OS X sure buy a Mac otherwise don't pay the premium -- Get a Dell they have great Ubuntu compatability."

However I really like the design of the Macbooks and the Unibody Macbooks are sublime. Even though there are features that are annoying like SD card slot that sticks out (my linux laptop always has an SD card sitting in it for convenient backup) and it's annoying having to buy converters for the three outputs I need VGA (projectors), HDMI (plasma TV), and DVI (Dell 24" LCD). Finally lack of Blu Ray is for me inconvenient as I like to buy blu ray movies when on business trips and watch them on my laptop and then use them conventionally when at home.

When it comes down to OSs some people need a particular operating system for an application or driver support and others feel their OS is just better (prejudice or preference). Personally Linux does 90% of what I need as does OS X but I rather like the freedom of FOSS (preference) so I install Ubuntu too. Windows has the best hardware compatability and a wide range of applications I either need to run under Wine, VM, or Windows. I choose to install Windows too (it is the one OS that gives me the most options and widest application and hardware support). Finally it is handy to keep OS X on a Mac laptop so I'd run it too although it doesn't have any applications that I need.

Finally OS X and Linux flash implementations are as slow as a dog and until HTML5 replaces flash for online video this is a pain.

So to summarise, for me there is no justification for paying a penny extra for OS X for others it will be different. The hardware I would pay a small premium for maybe up to $100.
post #34 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

What I find hilarious is that you carry on this concern. It's a well known fact that Apple charges more for RAM that anyone can purchase from third parties.

If you can't put RAM in the new systems you shouldn't be handling large machinery let alone a computer.

Hilarious? I'm glad you're so easily amused. I'll bet you roar with laughter when someone breaks a leg.
What is it with some of you people? You're not 'hilarious' unless you're attacking another member. Get a life
BTW, don't state facts not in evidence. I have been using computers since the early 1980's (before they even had HDD's) and have always "serviced" my own computers. I have built computers, but that was just putting parts together. I have installed RAM, HDD's, cards, and other 'stuff' on all my computers; however, it was always in a computer that was built to open like my old PC's and G4, not one that you have to "break" into like a Mini. It's that breaking into and having to be concerned about not screwing something up that has me worried. I don't want to do something wrong, void the warranty, and be stuck with a bad computer that isn't covered. Apple has not seen fit to make it easy to open and augment the Mini.
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Added value of OS X over Windows