or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › New screenshot gallery shows more polished Snow Leopard

New screenshot gallery shows more polished Snow Leopard - Page 4

post #121 of 137
whooo, show me more, show me more.
Phillip Gibb

Blogger | Java Programmer | Filmmaker
a journey in Filmmaking and Social Media
[ Digital Business Card | SynapticLight | Twitter ]
Phillip Gibb

Blogger | Java Programmer | Filmmaker
a journey in Filmmaking and Social Media
[ Digital Business Card | SynapticLight | Twitter ]
post #122 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by webraider View Post

I don't care how cheap it is.. I will not be purchasing another Apple Product (OS or Hardware) until they either release or make known their BluRay plans. ...if Apple want's to keep it's pro users the BETTER act fast to put BluRay in.

Steve made the Blu-Ray plans very clear in an interview last year: Not gonna do it until licensing issues get resolved. Just because you don't agree with that decision doesn't mean a decision wasn't made and publicly stated.

As a FCS user (along with other paid creative endeavors), I have no current need for Blu-Ray in any way, and will buy the new OS this fall when it's out. I'm certainly not about to jump over to Windows and run Vegas or Premiere to do some of my work to spite Apple. I guess Apple wins one, loses one.
post #123 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by webraider View Post

I don't care how cheap it is.. I will not be purchasing another Apple Product (OS or Hardware) until they either release or make known their BluRay plans. The fact that you can't even Author A BluRay Disk from Final Cut Pro is ABSURD! I konw most of the macs shipping don't have the DPI to appreciate BluRay but being able to play the media is worth it IMHO. The thing is, if Apple want's to keep it's pro users the BETTER act fast to put BluRay in. Their current answer: Boot into windows... RIDICULOUS.

I agree. They wouldn't even need to give BluRay tools to the consumer Apple user, just the Final Cut users. Nor would Apple even need to put BluRay drives in any computers - the Final Cut user can do that. At our editorial facility clients are beginning to ask for BluRay discs with their completed projects and we can't do it. We have to send them to a small duplication place in town who has Premiere and can burn their discs. We don't want Premiere or Toast - we want DVD Studio Pro with BluRay. And I don't buy Steve's "bag of hurt" argument - BluRay licensing was made easier and cheaper just a few months ago by the consortium.
post #124 of 137
It would appear from the tone of many of these posts that there's an awful lot of people buying computers to stare at the desktop wallpaper and reflect on how cool the scroll bars look.

Frankly, I wouldn't care if it looked like jewel-toned Jaguar if the new OS made the whole system perform faster and allowed for enhanced performance from 3rd party software. The people complaining so bitterly about how the OS eye-candy isn't different enough must be the ones who pay an extra $20 for the sleek Porsche Design external drives that don't run any better than a plain one.

I suppose if you wanted something that looked different, you could always install Ubuntu or something.
post #125 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

It would appear from the tone of many of these posts that there's an awful lot of people buying computers to stare at the desktop wallpaper and reflect on how cool the scroll bars look.

Frankly, I wouldn't care if it looked like jewel-toned Jaguar if the new OS made the whole system perform faster and allowed for enhanced performance from 3rd party software. The people complaining so bitterly about how the OS eye-candy isn't different enough must be the ones who pay an extra $20 for the sleek Porsche Design external drives that don't run any better than a plain one.

I suppose if you wanted something that looked different, you could always install Ubuntu or something.

The Mac community's has always been obsessed by the small details such as this. While some suggestions or critiques are clearly incorrect or non-optimal, the obsession is still a good thing. It is a hallmark of both Apple employees and of Apple users. It is perhaps the primary reason for the success of the platform, a true passion achieving the best possible results.

But yeah, change purely for the sake of change does seem like a bad idea.
post #126 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdb View Post

They're giving us OpenCL, Grand Central and 64 bit and some people are complaining about the wallpaper. You guys aren't doing us any favours against those who accuse Macs of being all show.

You are so friggin right! Dudes and Dudettes we have true Multiproccessing coming.... 64bit, OPEN CL.... A tech nerds Dream OS.
post #127 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Looks like it was designed by Flava Flav on a bender.

That's my phrase for the day!

post #128 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco View Post

The only explanation I can come up with for your non-stop torrent of semi-gibberish posts is that you're typing with your tongue, holding a photo of the new iPhone in one hand, while jerking off with the other.

You forgot to start your post with "Ummm"....
post #129 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by foljs View Post

Yeah, but that is because most people are idiots.

Speed and stability are technical improvements. If those aren't "good reasons to recommend SL to anyone else" I don't know what is. Some new hue for the scrollbars?

The ultimate geek reaction, which only goes to show how out of touch nerdy computer users are from the mainstream. The vast majority of users don't find their Macs to be too slow, or unstable. Adding more features doesn't help them, and neither do different color scroll bars. What helps them is making the basic features more accessible and intuitive -- which IMO they certainly could be. Better than Windows? Certainly. As good as it could be? Certainly not.

LIke I said before, Apple is wise to price this upgrade at $29, because it's not likely to have much general appeal at $129. Presumably Apple knew that, which is why they priced it that way.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #130 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I can't wait to spend my $29.

I couldn't wait too... so I've spent them on something else
post #131 of 137
I wonder if I can get an educational discount on Snow Leopard? I know, I know, I'm a cheap bastard!

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #132 of 137
Does anyone know if Quicktime X in SL will natively support the MKV video container?
 MacBook - Aluminum, 2.4GHz, 9400M, 4GB, 320GB, 10.7.2
 iPhone 4 - Black, 16GB
 MacBook - Aluminum, 2.4GHz, 9400M, 4GB, 320GB, 10.7.2
 iPhone 4 - Black, 16GB
post #133 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

30 Dollars is like going out to dinner twice a week.

Heck, it's less than some shareware apps I have paid for that were MUCH MUCH less useful!

I for one am stoked about SL. I will be getting it the day it is released WITHOUT hesitation. I would have paid double!

I also was seriously thinking about upgrading Vista to 7, but to my dismay of playing with the beta for a couple of weeks, I am sorely lacking much enthusiasm about it whatsoever. Plus, I can't imagine the upgrade price of 7 will be anything near the price of SL, if it were, I would be much more willing to upgrade.
post #134 of 137
Just downloaded the latest version of Nambu and it's got the new scroll bar feature. Normally, the list shows up without the scroll bar area, but as soon as you hoover over the window, the scroll buttons fade into view.

post #135 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco View Post

The only explanation I can come up with for your non-stop torrent of semi-gibberish posts is that you're typing with your tongue, holding a photo of the new iPhone in one hand, while jerking off with the other.

ummmmmm
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #136 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

...but as soon as you hoover over the window, the scroll buttons fade into view.

Aww man that sucks.
post #137 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Aww man that sucks.

I hear having to randomly guess if you can scroll or not, and by how much, is good design.

Unless you mean just the buttons, but I guess there are still people that click those (strangely!).
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › New screenshot gallery shows more polished Snow Leopard