or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › New screenshot gallery shows more polished Snow Leopard
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New screenshot gallery shows more polished Snow Leopard - Page 2

post #41 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

So now you can right-click the text of a snide forum comment, send to iTunes as speech, then rename it to .m4r and have it as your ringtone. In mere seconds!

This will change the way we use forums.

Ha-ha. Great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

You people are not very grateful. Read up on Snow Leopard or watch the WWDC keynote. If you have not taken any time to notice what Apple is saying about this upgrade is that it is, for the most part, an under the hood upgrade. Apple didn't have to re-write the entire Finder in Cocoa but guess what? They did. That alone is worth 30 bucks.

30 Dollars is like going out to dinner twice a week.

OMG, not only am I ungrateful, I am now officially a member of the group known as "you people." It's taken a long time. When do I get my membership card?

I've taken a lot of time to read up on what Apple has been saying about Snow Leopard. Yes, it's a lot of technical changes. Snooze.

Yes, I'll probably go for it, but I can't think of a good reason (yet) to recommend it to anyone else. Believe it or don't, most people really don't care about technical improvements. Try out "Cocoa Finder" on your average Mac user, if you want to see glazed eyes or a blank look.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #42 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSimx View Post

I really really hope snow leopard includes more new wallpaper. The operating is looking amazingly polished, can't wait to get it!!

I just don't understand comments like this. I'm a software developer and let me assure you that making 64 kernel and converting all your apps to 64 bit is one hell of a project. Add to that some ground breaking technologies like OpenCL etc. and you got one amazing upgrade.

And all people can say is they want new wallpaper. Well go to www.interfacelift.com and download some yourself.

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Reply

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Reply
post #43 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I can't wait to spend my $29.

This new system is great. These guys are thinkin and doin! I hope all you blogging curmudgeons can finally shut up and enjoy a better home, and the DieHard Windows fans will open their windows in a highrise and walk out!
post #44 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Whine, whine, whine.

You're getting dramatic speed increases, improved stability, and a more solid framework while reducing the size of the system - along with a number of new features. All for $29.

Why in the world does Apple have to change the UI every year or so to make some people happy? I happen to think they got it right pretty much from the start so there's no need to scrap it and start over every year or so.

But if you like a new UI regularly, go ahead and switch OSs every few months.

No, the point is that users of OS X know that there have always been problems with UI consistency.

Anyone who's been using it over the years also should know that there are some pretty big bugs in the Finder and that while each version of OS X has very much the same look as the former version, that the OS X project has been to some degree about "working out" what the best GUI is. Ideas like drawers and sidebars come and go, the menu bar and the Dock change slightly with each iteration etc. RI has been a goal for many versions now, as has re-writing it in Cocoa.

I'm not whining, as I said I would buy it for the full price just because of the improvements I know are there. Fixing Leopards sometimes "dead" sidebar alone would be worth it for me. I'm just disappointed that yet again, we have to deal with a mixed up Finder and some questionable GUI decisions when it was implied (not by Apple necessarily) that re-write would fix this stuff.

I would only really be upset if it turns out that the re-write of the Finder has also not fixed the more substantive "mechanical" problems Finder has but not being privy to betas, I won't find that out until it's released. That would be really bad press though, so I am reasonably certain that the bugs have been squashed at minimum.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
post #45 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

Well Apple is too busy convincing the world that Windows 7 is just an "upgrading Vista" to bother with adding some very basic functionality (you know, the kind of stuff that Microsoft has had since Windows 2000) into their own "upgraded Leopard."

What kind of stuff has MS had since Windows 2000 that is not in OS X? Do tell. I can tell you about 3000 things that OS X has that are not in any Windows release, and they are all available by starting that little thing called Terminal.

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Reply

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Reply
post #46 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Phil say it was a NEAR feature-complete build?

Also, I'm liking the muted pallet and scroll bars.

Yep, its 'near' feature complete, not feature complete. The new Dock Expose features aren't in in for a start..

One thing that you notice straight away is how quick it all runs. It truly is fast as fu...
post #47 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

Well Apple is too busy convincing the world that Windows 7 is just an "upgrading Vista" to bother with adding some very basic functionality (you know, the kind of stuff that Microsoft has had since Windows 2000) into their own "upgraded Leopard."

Without any examples you are making yourself look like a foolish Microsoft fan girl.
post #48 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Without any examples you are making yourself look like a foolish Microsoft fan girl.

Insulting someone by calling them a "girl"? Are you five years old?
post #49 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post

And all people can say is they want new wallpaper. Well go to www.interfacelift.com and download some yourself.

True that...or better yet, get off your butt, pick up a camera, and go outside.
post #50 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Go on then. Say Windows 7 looks better. I challenge you.

I can't believe people are still bitching for having to pay $30 to get a new computer.

Not only is it a new computer, but it's a new Mac!
post #51 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Insulting someone by calling them a "girl"? Are you five years old?

Actually, he was insulting someone by calling them a "Microsoft fan."

He assumed that the person was female and young.
post #52 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Snow Leopard increases speed across the entire system and for newly re-designed Apps that use the new technologies by between 50-130%. How isn't that getting a new computer for $30?

When updated video card drivers give me smoother performance in games, I don't think to myself "Wow, I just got a new video card for free!" I think to myself, "Wow, they really optimized the software to take advantage of the hardware." That's all that's happening now. I don't mean to come off as a dick about it, but it's not like getting a new computer, it's like getting a better operating system.

A while back, some guy gave a lecture at my school (I didn't care much then) about how software isn't as advanced as we like to think. His point was that through better programming, we could make existing hardware run 10 to 100 times better. I think it had something to do with the evolution of "many core" programming or something like that. Just a neat little anecdote I thought I'd throw in there. Makes you wonder how much hidden potential lies in existing hardware.
post #53 of 137
What in tarnation are you boys talking about....
This looks soooo similar to Leopard.....The Aqua scroll bars on the right and silver windows.....so outdated already.

Aye Carumba.....Please dont let this be final....Plus so un-Apple like to have Quicktime in the bad azz black window and everything like it is in Leopard....WTF.....

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

Reply

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

Reply
post #54 of 137
1. No disk drive icon on desktop! That is very nice.
2. Why not get rid of the blue blob, this is possible by using 3d party apps already, come on apple!
3. Bring tabs back on top in safari 4. At least give an option.
4. Love the new stacks.
5. New expose mode will only be used by "single digit percentage of our users".

Thats all for now.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #55 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

[...] which basically means re-doing all the artwork and resources, and then carefully added the aqua "blue blob" stuff back in. [...]

What on earth. Why are you making silly comments like this if you've no idea how the Finder is actually drawn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

1. No disk drive icon on desktop! That is very nice. [...]

You've been able to do this for many years. Finder > Preferences > Uncheck Hard-disk drives.
post #56 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

1. No disk drive icon on desktop! That is very nice.

FYI...you can remove the disk drive icon from your desktop now in system preferences.
post #57 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

Except Windows 7 is virtually complete, with RTM likely less than a month away.

Maybe Apple is just too lazy to unify their interface. Did you ever think of that? It didn't happen in Tiger. It didn't happen in Leopard. And it probably won't happen in Snow Leopard.

Even Microsoft has made an attempt to make a more unified interface in Windows 7. But you're right, I guess they're too busy stealing features from Snow Leopard. Oh, wait...

SN will sport a Marble GUI alla QT X... Mark my words!
post #58 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

1. No disk drive icon on desktop! That is very nice.

Finder-> preferences -> uncheck the appropriate checkbox

Whoops.. too late...

For anybody that wants to make their Leopard more "iLife" like, check out iLeopard:
http://littlekiwi.co.cc/page4/page4.html
post #59 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

SN will sport a Marble GUI alla QT X... Mark my words!

Apple is going to suddenly spring a new UI theme within three months of release? And convince thousands of developers to rehire artists and/or spend time redoing artwork and icons to match black windows? After making most of them redo things to match Leopard? You really think so?

They wouldn't announce such a radical change at WWDC for publicity and to let developers know why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

[...] Even Microsoft has made an attempt to make a more unified interface in Windows 7. But you're right, I guess they're too busy stealing features from Snow Leopard. Oh, wait...

Sorry, no. You can't use that line when Microsoft still has some things resembling Win98 applications or using almost fifteen year old icons.
post #60 of 137
Why change the UI for every release??

Leopard's UI (as it is now in SL) is just fine. It's very clean, very easy on the eyes, and is characteristic of subtle elegance.

Or would you prefer Windows 7, which looks like a multiple-clown homicide. Colours all over the place, transparency-glass-hell. Looks like it was designed by Flava Flav on a bender.
post #61 of 137
Does anybody who have seen the early Snow Leopard know if they have fixed the glitch introduced in Leopard which doesn't allow you to customize numbers. I like my numbers as 1 234.57, Leopard make you basically chose between 1234.57 or 1,234.57?

Managed to keep the format at my dual G5 Pro when upgrading, but was never able to introduce it to my Macbook Pro which came with Leopard, attempts to program it in Unix gave an inconsistent result with different formats in different applications.
post #62 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I'd like to see something new, something unified, and for Apple to take a step back from the gharish-ness that is Leopard. Something more serious is in order IMO but from recent developments we might have to wait until 10.7.

I hear what you are saying and I agree but I bet you will not see any UI change until OS 11.0. I really would like Apple to update the UI and make it all consistent as well as improve the Finder. But I believe Apple is going to stick it out with this current UI theme until 11.0....
(but here's hoping it's earlier than that)
post #63 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by esXXI View Post

What on earth. Why are you making silly comments like this if you've no idea how the Finder is actually drawn?


You've been able to do this for many years. Finder > Preferences > Uncheck Hard-disk drives.

Wow thanks, did not know that.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #64 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Go on then. Say Windows 7 looks better. I challenge you.

I can't believe people are still bitching for having to pay $30 to get a new computer.

What an assinine post.

There's nothing wrong with bitching about aqua assets still in Snow Leopard- especially since they apparently recoded a very large portion of the OS. Aqua scrollbars+buttons look ugly as hell at this point, and clash with everything else in the OS. They need to go, and I'll be appalled if they leave them there for the final version of SL. It takes me a few seconds to replace the scrollbar files to those from itunes, so seriously, how hard could it be for Apple? They already have the assets.

People like you are the most irritating kind. Someone can't criticize a specific aspect of a product, without being called 'bitching', 'ungrateful', etc. Pathetic. The way some of you apologize for Apple at every turn is frightening. We criticize because we want Apple to improve and release the best products they can. I wouldn't be criticizing anything if I didn't give a shit. Its not like asking for 10 year old, system wide assets to be visually updated (especially when updating them is a relatively simple thing to do) is demanding.
post #65 of 137
The winter tree wallpaper in the screenshots looks great!

Can't imagine if Snow Leopard released with the same sort of funky/wacky wallpapers in Win7 RC1. 0_0
"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
Reply
"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
Reply
post #66 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus. View Post

The winter tree wallpaper in the screenshots looks great!

Can't imagine if Snow Leopard released with the same sort of funky/wacky wallpapers in Win7 RC1. 0_0

You can download a million wallpapers in all kinds of sizes off the net. Just wander around Interfacelift, for instance.

Does it really matter whether SL includes new wallpapers?
post #67 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

I hear what you are saying and I agree but I bet you will not see any UI change until OS 11.0. I really would like Apple to update the UI and make it all consistent as well as improve the Finder. But I believe Apple is going to stick it out with this current UI theme until 11.0....
(but here's hoping it's earlier than that)

10.7 - est 2011
10.8 - est 2013
10.9 - est 2015
11.0 - est 2017

You really think there will be no UI changes (significant) in 8 years?
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #68 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

You people are not very grateful. Read up on Snow Leopard or watch the WWDC keynote. If you have not taken any time to notice what Apple is saying about this upgrade is that it is, for the most part, an under the hood upgrade.

Your efforts are appreciated, but - sadly - misplaced. None of the posters that have presented this stance have ever listened to any other point of view (on the subject). Those that can't see the virtue of real improvement should be left to sleep it off. (IMO)
If yer gonna bother with thinking different, swing for the fences.
Reply
If yer gonna bother with thinking different, swing for the fences.
Reply
post #69 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

...

I can't believe people are still bitching for having to pay $30 to get a new computer.

I've got 2 G5's and a 867 G4 Laptop so at the moment that $30 doesn't get me much.
Let me know where I can pick up a few of those $30 new computers to swap my G5's and Laptop.

All my life, I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific.
- Lily Tomlin
Reply

All my life, I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific.
- Lily Tomlin
Reply
post #70 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco View Post

200% faster?

It's like getting two new computers!



in 3d

!!
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #71 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

10.7 - est 2011
10.8 - est 2013
10.9 - est 2015
11.0 - est 2017

You really think there will be no UI changes (significant) in 8 years?

Oh god; not this again...

That is not how software versioning works:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_...ersion_history
post #72 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Why change the UI for every release??

Leopard's UI (as it is now in SL) is just fine. It's very clean, very easy on the eyes, and is characteristic of subtle elegance.

Or would you prefer Windows 7, which looks like a multiple-clown homicide. Colours all over the place, transparency-glass-hell. Looks like it was designed by Flava Flav on a bender.

OK MULTIPLE CHOICE TEST . which one below is not one of the nine gates of hell ??


a >> Windows 7
b >> multiple-clown homicide
c >> transparency-glass-hell.
e >> Flava Flav on a bender
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #73 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodstains View Post

Oh god; not this again...

That is not how software versioning works:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_...ersion_history

What exactly am I supposed to be looking for?
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #74 of 137
Here's classic doublespeak from Apple. Quicktime's new "less intrusive" view - look now, putting controllers RIGHT ON TOP OF THE CONTENT is NOT "LESS" intrusive. In fact it obscures the actual content even more! Now I have to put my cursor over top of the movie to see how much I've watched or the timecode or to pause it etc. Of course it fades away and that is OK. Also take close look at the images, the QT title bar actually ALSO intrudes into the movie view, not above/outside the image content. But I never had a problem with the old quicktime play/pause/rr/ff buttons or the time marker playhead etc. If I wanted to see it full screen I use full screen mode and it all goes away including my desktop. But now the controller is SMALLER and therefore LESS ACCURATE.
(My comments based only on screenshots and descriptions not of any actual use).
Maybe there is a Pro mode, or edit mode can be more frame accurate. Or maybe I'll just have to use VLC for everything and hope they keep improving that.
Apple's innovative but I really hate their continual de-professionalizing of everything.
post #75 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

OK MULTIPLE CHOICE TEST . which one below is not one of the nine gates of hell ??


a >> Windows 7
b >> multiple-clown homicide
c >> transparency-glass-hell.
e >> Flava Flav on a bender

Uhhh... Flava Flav on a bender?

But seriously.... Any pointers on where the info in on the itunes like scroll bars.... what do I type in google?


They left out Desktop Expose from the Beta --- The Horror!!!
post #76 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Pretty much my feeling at this point. I thought it was dismaying that the article said that these screen shots were the "most revealing" of what we'll get from Snow Leopard. From this I take it that Snow Leopard is going to be a bit of a snooze. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but personally I'm completely lacking in anticipation of this release.

Well tell us exactly what you want them to do?
post #77 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

The scroll bars are the same ugly-as-sin Aqua scroll bars we've had since Cheetah.

I still don't understand why they haven't been changed to match the iTunes scroll bars, which fit in much better with the Snow Leopard interface.

So because it looks ugly for you, and the ones in Itunes looks good to you, it holds true for everyone?
post #78 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I can't wait to spend my $29.

Pre-order and its only $10.


Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Insulting someone by calling them a "girl"? Are you five years old?

Insulting someone by calling them a 5 year old? Are you a girl?


Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

What exactly am I supposed to be looking for?

I dont think he read your post well. I think he assumed the 11 was a reference to it being impossible to offer a point update that numbered paste 10, hence the Wiki page to Tiger.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #79 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMacGuy View Post

Here's classic doublespeak from Apple. Quicktime's new "less intrusive" view - look now, putting controllers RIGHT ON TOP OF THE CONTENT is NOT "LESS" intrusive. In fact it obscures the actual content even more! Now I have to put my cursor over top of the movie to see how much I've watched or the timecode or to pause it etc. Of course it fades away and that is OK. Also take close look at the images, the QT title bar actually ALSO intrudes into the movie view, not above/outside the image content. But I never had a problem with the old quicktime play/pause/rr/ff buttons or the time marker playhead etc. If I wanted to see it full screen I use full screen mode and it all goes away including my desktop. But now the controller is SMALLER and therefore LESS ACCURATE.
(My comments based only on screenshots and descriptions not of any actual use).
Maybe there is a Pro mode, or edit mode can be more frame accurate. Or maybe I'll just have to use VLC for everything and hope they keep improving that.
Apple's innovative but I really hate their continual de-professionalizing of everything.

It's not doublespeak. They have their point of view upon the matter and you have yours.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #80 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMacGuy View Post

Here's classic doublespeak from Apple. Quicktime's new "less intrusive" view - look now, putting controllers RIGHT ON TOP OF THE CONTENT is NOT "LESS" intrusive. In fact it obscures the actual content even more! Now I have to put my cursor over top of the movie to see how much I've watched or the timecode or to pause it etc. Of course it fades away and that is OK......

Isn't this the way it works right now when watching in full-screen mode?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › New screenshot gallery shows more polished Snow Leopard