or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T already sold out of launch day iPhone 3G S pre-orders
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AT&T already sold out of launch day iPhone 3G S pre-orders - Page 3

post #81 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldg8 View Post

Well, I pre-ordered 2 32 gig phones through Apple on June 9th.

We've never done the "wait in line" thing for an iPhone before. If we get to the store around 8am, will they only be selling to those who have "pre-ordered" for the first two hours, or will anyone be able to get one?

Just wondering if we'll actually get our pre-ordered phones that day? How long does the entire process typically take?

Thanks for your help.

Enjoy the line .Its Ablast . Bring lawn chairs and coffee. And if you look left while in the store, you will see the MBP 13". You can buy that too. If you want. I have done so many rock and roll ticket lines .trust me they can be fun.

Enjoy iphone day .

9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #82 of 191
AT&T is doing a great job, selling iPhones like crazy and rolling out new services like MMS and tethering. oh, wait.
post #83 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

AT&T is doing a great job, selling iPhones like crazy and rolling out new services like MMS and tethering. oh, wait.

Any idea what is up with AT&T?

Fact: Apple has MMS and tethering in v3.0, and its available with almost all their carriers next week.

Fact: Ive tested MMS on AT&Ts network and have been using tethering since the v3.0 Beta 1.

Fact: AT&T has had tethering and MMS on their network for years and those phones outnumber the iPhone (probably 10 to 1).

So what the hell is up with AT&T that MMS and tethering wont be available at launch? For MMS there is a tentative date set for the end of summer. What could they possibly have to do to their network? Is there a super-MMS that is being deployed that required a beefed up server farm and/or network? Tethering seems a little to figure out. AT&T may not have a system in place to know if your iPhone is being tethered or not. Twice over 3 months my iPhone stopped tethering with a message stating that I have to sign up for this from AT&T. I simply turned the feature and then on to get it working again.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #84 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

That's why I like being with a group of friends, there is usually somebody who knows exactly how your thinking/feeling and why, they inject just the right response to get you happy again. You return the favor naturally.

Man is a herd animal, prolong separation from the group is frustrating to him. Computers tend to isolate people unfortunately.

Online communication has it's informational rewards, but it's incomplete. People can't rely upon it as their only source of much needed daily human communication.

A blend of real and online experiences is best.

ok enough already...sounding lame here...

Those of us who have gotten to know each other over time act more like we would offline. We agree, we disagree, we praise what others say at times, we get annoyed, we kid each other etc. but sometimes new people don't understand the byplay because they haven't seen it evolve. So sometimes they say something that may be acceptable to those who know each other and know it isn't serious, but isn't acceptable from them because it comes across as too negative, or much more serious than we would mean it. When that's accompanied by improper language, it goes over the top.. I don't want to make it seem as though there is an "old boys club' because that's not true, anyone here is a member by default.

But sometimes, someone new should step carefully and not be too aggressive at first until they understand the unwritten ground rules.

This is true for any thread on any site, though here, we tend to have a fair sized core group who post a lot, whereas on many other sites, the posters seem to be more erratic.

People who are determined to be consistently highly negative are perceived as being so on purpose, and not offering anything constructive. That isn't appreciated. This IS a Mac site after all. Some objectivity is good once in a while.

Most of us are on different sides depending on a particular product or service Apple or its partners offer, that's normal. We don't agree with everything Apple does, though we agree with much, or we wouldn't be Apple product users.

Things aren't ever as good or as bad as those who are extreme in their views make them out to be.

And that's why those viewpoints are so annoying to most of us. Especially when accompanied with vitriol.
post #85 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I have a bad feeling about the launch weekend. I have seen steady bandwidth upgrades across the country this year, but I am afraid it’s not enough. Then there are still issues with cities that are already over populated. Then there is an issue with account activations...
...Can AT&T handle it within reason?

Nope, they won't. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T is making Apple *LIMIT* iPhone 3GS availability on launch in order to stave off meltdown of the network and activation system.

Even though I believe a large percentage of the "low hanging fruit" e.g. Apple fans, tech geeks, et al have gotten on the iPhone bandwagon (both existing AT&T customers and switchers) --- I believe there is still an enormous amount of people who are interested in an iPhone but have been holding off until they are satisfied with it's development.

With the iPhone OS now at 3.0, and the new iPhone 3GS bringing a decent autofocus camera, video recording, MMS, copy/past, voice control, and a major processor/GPU/RAM upgrade to the table, I think the time has come where the vast majority of these individuals no longer have any reason to hold off anymore, and are going to pull the trigger. I don't know if they will all be lined up on launch day, but I'd bet that Q3 sales will be enormous, and may outstrip supply for some time to come.

Then, hopefully at Christmas 2009 (we can dream right?) or at least by 2H 2010, Apple will announce that the iPhone is now available on ALL CARRIERS, with a CDMA 3G (possibly CDMA/LTE dual-mode) variant for the 500 million users around the globe. Just imagine how many sales would come from just the United States, where last I heard, about half of all iPhones are sold. Since about 22 million have sold, I'd imagine somewhere in the ballpark of 9-10 million have been sold in the US so far.

(AT&T has ~75 million subscribers)
  • Verizon Wireless = 86 million
  • Sprint = 49 million
  • T-mobile USA = 38 million
Total = 173 million potential iPhone users in the USA not on AT&T.

The United States is clearly an enormous market --- if not the largest --- considering both the total number of cellphone subscribers, the average disposable income of those users, and the very positive public perception of the iPhone which results in far higher sales rates (adjusted for population) versus other countries. Apple does not have strict 1-carrier iPhone exclusivity in many countries in europe, and it's about damn time that that becomes a reality in the United States so many of use are not forced to choose between an iPhone and good coverage.
post #86 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Any idea what is up with AT&T?

Fact: Apple has MMS and tethering in v3.0, and its available with almost all their carriers next week.

Fact: Ive tested MMS on AT&Ts network and have been using tethering since the v3.0 Beta 1.

Fact: AT&T has had tethering and MMS on their network for years and those phones outnumber the iPhone (probably 10 to 1)..

The really weird thing about the tethering issue is that of all phones out there, the iPhone is likely to have the highest ratio of data usage on the phone vs data usage while tethered. The likelihood of the user actually taking advantage of tethering on the candybar is far higher than it is on the iPhone.
post #87 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You can always walk into a Sprint store for the Pre. The lines were sparse on it's opening. I'm sure they'll be three or four bored sales personnel ready to do something.

Maybe they can do a joint promotion with M$ ... "Free Zune with Pre or Vice versa ... your choice!"
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #88 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Any idea what is up with AT&T?

Fact: Apple has MMS and tethering in v3.0, and it’s available with almost all their carriers next week.

Fact: I’ve tested MMS on AT&T’s network and have been using tethering since the v3.0 Beta 1.

Fact: AT&T has had tethering and MMS on their network for years and those phones outnumber the iPhone (probably 10 to 1).

So what the hell is up with AT&T that MMS and tethering won’t be available at launch? For MMS there is a tentative date set for the end of summer. What could they possibly have to do to their network? Is there a super-MMS that is being deployed that required a beefed up server farm and/or network? Tethering seems a little to figure out. AT&T may not have a system in place to know if your iPhone is being tethered or not. Twice over 3 months my iPhone stopped tethering with a message stating that I have to sign up for this from AT&T. I simply turned the feature and then on to get it working again.

Apple during the wwdc show jabbed AT&T with a sharp stick over tethering and MMS. Every CARRIER in the world except you know who allows this.

This straw broke apple's back. And will bring Verizon on board. TheY WILL start With a verizon contract on a laptop kinda deal, And or the same for the touch. So A verizon Branded MBP13" and 64g itouch.

Just saying

9.
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #89 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Nope, they won't. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T is making Apple *LIMIT* iPhone 3GS availability on launch in order to stave off meltdown of the network and activation system.

Even though I believe a large percentage of the "low hanging fruit" e.g. Apple fans, tech geeks, et al have gotten on the iPhone bandwagon (both existing AT&T customers and switchers) --- I believe there is still an enormous amount of people who are interested in an iPhone but have been holding off until they are satisfied with it's development.

With the iPhone OS now at 3.0, and the new iPhone 3GS bringing a decent autofocus camera, video recording, MMS, copy/past, voice control, and a major processor/GPU/RAM upgrade to the table, I think the time has come where the vast majority of these individuals no longer have any reason to hold off anymore, and are going to pull the trigger. I don't know if they will all be lined up on launch day, but I'd bet that Q3 sales will be enormous, and may outstrip supply for some time to come.

Then, hopefully at Christmas 2009 (we can dream right?) or at least by 2H 2010, Apple will announce that the iPhone is now available on ALL CARRIERS, with a CDMA 3G (possibly CDMA/LTE dual-mode) variant for the 500 million users around the globe. Just imagine how many sales would come from just the United States, where last I heard, about half of all iPhones are sold. Since about 22 million have sold, I'd imagine somewhere in the ballpark of 9-10 million have been sold in the US so far.

(AT&T has ~75 million subscribers)
  • Verizon Wireless = 86 million
  • Sprint = 49 million
  • T-mobile USA = 38 million
Total = 173 million potential iPhone users in the USA not on AT&T.

The United States is clearly an enormous market --- if not the largest --- considering both the total number of cellphone subscribers, the average disposable income of those users, and the very positive public perception of the iPhone which results in far higher sales rates (adjusted for population) versus other countries. Apple does not have strict 1-carrier iPhone exclusivity in many countries in europe, and it's about damn time that that becomes a reality in the United States so many of use are not forced to choose between an iPhone and good coverage.

CHINA dwarfs all of those numbers and Apple will be in there long before this fantasy of announcing iPhone available, as is, on all US Carriers.
post #90 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Nope, they won't. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T is making Apple *LIMIT* iPhone 3GS availability on launch in order to stave off meltdown of the network and activation system.

Even though I believe a large percentage of the "low hanging fruit" e.g. Apple fans, tech geeks, et al have gotten on the iPhone bandwagon (both existing AT&T customers and switchers) --- I believe there is still an enormous amount of people who are interested in an iPhone but have been holding off until they are satisfied with it's development.

With the iPhone OS now at 3.0, and the new iPhone 3GS bringing a decent autofocus camera, video recording, MMS, copy/past, voice control, and a major processor/GPU/RAM upgrade to the table, I think the time has come where the vast majority of these individuals no longer have any reason to hold off anymore, and are going to pull the trigger. I don't know if they will all be lined up on launch day, but I'd bet that Q3 sales will be enormous, and may outstrip supply for some time to come.

Then, hopefully at Christmas 2009 (we can dream right?) or at least by 2H 2010, Apple will announce that the iPhone is now available on ALL CARRIERS, with a CDMA 3G (possibly CDMA/LTE dual-mode) variant for the 500 million users around the globe. Just imagine how many sales would come from just the United States, where last I heard, about half of all iPhones are sold. Since about 22 million have sold, I'd imagine somewhere in the ballpark of 9-10 million have been sold in the US so far.

(AT&T has ~75 million subscribers)
  • Verizon Wireless = 86 million
  • Sprint = 49 million
  • T-mobile USA = 38 million
Total = 173 million potential iPhone users in the USA not on AT&T.

This is clearly an enormous market --- if not the largest --- considering both the total number of cellphone subscribers, the average disposable income of those users, and the very positive public perception of the iPhone which results in far higher sales rates (adjusted for population) versus other countries.

The first part i agree with, but the CDMA iPhone, I dont. Most countries the iPhone is in are GSM-based. No sign of CDMA, at all, yet almost all of them are only on one carrier in that country. It seems clear that the carrier control is very important to Apples longterm goals. Unless the UK is selling iPhones on O2 -and- Vodaphone -and- T-Mobile -and- Orange tben I dont see how its purely the AT&T deal holding back a CDMA iPhone from emerging in the US and/or an iPhone being sold to all carriers. To sell on these other networks would mean Apple would have to change nothing in their HW. Same radios, same technology, same R&D, same manufacturing. Note, there are two other non-MVNO carriers in the UK, but the ones I picked were ones that Apple also partners with in other countries, but doesnt partner with in the UK.

For a similar reason that Apple doesnt want to license OS X despite the increased marketshare they probably dont want to lose the carrier connection. Its about control for Apple, even if it means losing unit sales in the short term. I dont think Apple could have made the inroads it has into this market if it simply followed everyone elses play. Apple is Mola Ram from Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom, they need to pull their partners heart out through their chest, but to do that they need to make them their slave first, which requires them to get close. KALI MAAAAAAA!!!"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #91 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Those of us who have gotten to know each other over time act more like we would offline. We agree, we disagree, we praise what others say at times, we get annoyed, we kid each other etc. but sometimes new people don't understand the byplay because they haven't seen it evolve. So sometimes they say something that may be acceptable to those who know each other and know it isn't serious, but isn't acceptable from them because it comes across as too negative, or much more serious than we would mean it. When that's accompanied by improper language, it goes over the top.. I don't want to make it seem as though there is an "old boys club' because that's not true, anyone here is a member by default.

But sometimes, someone new should step carefully and not be too aggressive at first until they understand the unwritten ground rules.

This is true for any thread on any site, though here, we tend to have a fair sized core group who post a lot, whereas on many other sites, the posters seem to be more erratic.

People who are determined to be consistently highly negative are perceived as being so on purpose, and not offering anything constructive. That isn't appreciated. This IS a Mac site after all. Some objectivity is good once in a while.

Most of us are on different sides depending on a particular product or service Apple or its partners offer, that's normal. We don't agree with everything Apple does, though we agree with much, or we wouldn't be Apple product users.

Things aren't ever as good or as bad as those who are extreme in their views make them out to be.

And that's why those viewpoints are so annoying to most of us. Especially when accompanied with vitriol.

If I may add a word here , When I first came here my spelling and such was terrible. A couple or 4 or 5 old time members took me under there wing and made me understand why it is so important to properly write when posting online.

While i am not perfect, my spell check rarely finds a mistake now. So I must say we have some great and funny and witty members here. And some members are very smart.

BUT where I come from when there is a known troll, we ban his ass, and if he persists we contact his ISP and get there online abuse control to monitor said troll.
We did this 5 times at the PINK FLOYD EMI SITE. And 5 times said memebers were banned and local authorities contacted.

Anyway concerning Seahawkfan 2, Is he a troll ?? Because every one here feeds him. We already know he will bash apple on his next post. When I see a top mod talking to him I infer from that that sea hawk is a minor nuisance .

Just saying

Great site thanks for having me .
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #92 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Any idea what is up with AT&T?

Fact: Apple has MMS and tethering in v3.0, and its available with almost all their carriers next week.

Fact: Ive tested MMS on AT&Ts network and have been using tethering since the v3.0 Beta 1.

Fact: AT&T has had tethering and MMS on their network for years and those phones outnumber the iPhone (probably 10 to 1).

So what the hell is up with AT&T that MMS and tethering wont be available at launch? For MMS there is a tentative date set for the end of summer. What could they possibly have to do to their network? Is there a super-MMS that is being deployed that required a beefed up server farm and/or network? Tethering seems a little to figure out. AT&T may not have a system in place to know if your iPhone is being tethered or not. Twice over 3 months my iPhone stopped tethering with a message stating that I have to sign up for this from AT&T. I simply turned the feature and then on to get it working again.


A company the size of AT&T probably has so much legacy systems that need to be changed that it takes a while to test these changes and then make them
post #93 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Apple during the wwdc show jabbed AT&T with a sharp stick over tethering and MMS. Every CARRIER in the world except you know who allows this.

This straw broke apple's back. And will bring Verizon on board. TheY WILL start With a verizon contract on a laptop kinda deal, And or the same for the touch. So A verizon Branded MBP13" and 64g itouch.

Just saying

I dont recall Apple jabbing AT&T at all. They mentioned that carriers will offer MMS next week and that AT&T will offer it later in the summer, people laughed as its funny but it wasnt a jab. Then later they mentioned tethering and had a about 22 carriers on the board, people laughed when they noticed AT&T was not among them. Scott Forestall made no further mention of the situation.

As for being every carrier, the number of carriers from the first slide for MMS was less than the second one for tethering so AT&T isnt alone here.

Your second paragraph I dont follow. In what regard will they bring Verizon on board? subsidized notebooks with built-in 3G cards? While that sounds ideal I have a hard time thinking that Verizon will have bent so much to Apples demands, that Apple would make a CDMA-based-only notebook without it being GSM-based, and would want to make their lineup wonky by offering their iPhone on AT&T but have their customers also sign up for Verizon for their subsidized notebook. Overall, its not a big deal, but its certainly un-Apple-like.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

CHINA dwarfs all of those numbers and Apple will be in there long before this fantasy of announcing iPhone available, as is, on all US Carriers.

And yet despite the huge potential market Apple is apparently butting heads with their massive carriers trying to work a deal in which Apple can retain control of key aspects instead of just selling the device to them how they wish.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #94 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

A company the size of AT&T probably has so much legacy systems that need to be changed that it takes a while to test these changes and then make them

That seems most likely to me as nothing else makes any sense.

Does anyone know what the MMS spec or AT&Ts limits are for different MMS file types and sizes?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #95 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Those of us who...

And that's why those viewpoints are so annoying to most of us. Especially when accompanied with vitriol.

Many people are unhappy and they don't know why, some good face to face would help them and as a Global Mod, you have to read all these posts too...

Dr. Booze says you to take a vacation! Vegas Baby! Adult playground. Get drunk as a skunk! Whooohooo! Come back refreshed!

Many very busy restaurant owners I know make it a point to take a mini-vacation once a month, because they have to deal with so many people/personalities/problems etc.

It's like your a unpaid psychotherapist or something!

In the meanwhile, a little saying I came across...

Everything effects you, which you have the power to revoke at any moment.

I'll revoke myself now... *ipoof*
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #96 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Those of us who have gotten to know each other over time act more like we would offline. We agree, we disagree, we praise what others say at times, we get annoyed, we kid each other etc. but sometimes new people don't understand the byplay because they haven't seen it evolve. So sometimes they say something that may be acceptable to those who know each other and know it isn't serious, but isn't acceptable from them because it comes across as too negative, or much more serious than we would mean it. When that's accompanied by improper language, it goes over the top.. I don't want to make it seem as though there is an "old boys club' because that's not true, anyone here is a member by default.

But sometimes, someone new should step carefully and not be too aggressive at first until they understand the unwritten ground rules.

This is true for any thread on any site, though here, we tend to have a fair sized core group who post a lot, whereas on many other sites, the posters seem to be more erratic.

People who are determined to be consistently highly negative are perceived as being so on purpose, and not offering anything constructive. That isn't appreciated. This IS a Mac site after all. Some objectivity is good once in a while.

Most of us are on different sides depending on a particular product or service Apple or its partners offer, that's normal. We don't agree with everything Apple does, though we agree with much, or we wouldn't be Apple product users.

Things aren't ever as good or as bad as those who are extreme in their views make them out to be.

And that's why those viewpoints are so annoying to most of us. Especially when accompanied with vitriol.

This makes a good point and it's why, if I'm going to get really crabby and reactionary, it's likely going to be in response to a new poster who leads off with "Wow, what a bunch of fanboys you guys are really lame", etc.

It has nothing to do with defending the honor of Apple or some nonsense, it's simple manners. If you were hanging out with a loose circle of friends at the neighborhood pub, and someone you'd never seen before came in and sat down at your table and the first thing they said was "Wow, you guys are totally posers I couldn't help but overhear your conversation and let me tell you, you sound like a bunch of idiots", that person would not be warmly welcomed.

Apparently on the internet the proper response is "you make an interesting point, indeed some of our crowd are useless twits, but stick around, I think you'll find that at least some of us are worthy of your attention". Not really feeling that, unless we just agree that being a Mac user is sort of shameful and we have to adopt an attitude of obsequious deference to our betters, or some fucked up notion such as that.

The trouble is, when enough people start coming and going, and enough of those are expending a lot of energy loudly decrying the general shabbiness and stupidity of our metaphorical pub, it's unlikely your going to have much of a sense of community or comity.

Myself, I can't see the point of hanging out in a Mac enthusiast forum so that you can tell everybody how stupid their enthusiasm is, over and over again. It strikes me as a mental illness, and I think such people should be banned just because the sourness and bitterness that apparently is a symptom of such illness is toxic to any sense of community.

That's a fair sight from demanding everyone toe the Apple line, or only speak well of the platform, or whatever other straw man might leap to mind. But constant, sneering references to "fan boys" and meeting every appreciation of any particular thing Apple might do with the same, tedious sarcasm about "worshipping at Jobs feet" and "flipping out if anyone questions your precious Apple" are, to my mind, a kind of sludge that ever drags down the forum into ugliness. It's a freaking Mac enthusiast site. Why do I have to worry about coming off as "enthusiastic"?

Lots of people here, myself included, are perfectly capable of calling Apple out for boneheaded moves or wondering what the hell they were thinking when they did whatever without relying on the lazy, braindead "fanboy" chant to knock down anyone who disagrees.

Since at this point the very use of the term "fanboy" is such a clear indicator of having nothing to contribute beyond tribal hostility I would ban a member for using it, every time. That alone would probably clear about about 75% of the pointless snark that's infesting the forum.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #97 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I dont recall Apple jabbing AT&T at all. They mentioned that carriers will offer MMS next week and that AT&T will offer it later in the summer, people laughed as its funny but it wasnt a jab. Then later they mentioned tethering and had a about 22 carriers on the board, people laughed when they noticed AT&T was not among them. Scott Forestall made no further mention of the situation.

As for being every carrier, the number of carriers from the first slide for MMS was less than the second one for tethering so AT&T isnt alone here.

Scott was just being a diplomat. No need to stir the hornet's nest. However, what was not being said was far louder than what he did say.

I listen to all the conspiracy theories as to why AT&T is being the way they are during the WWDC and as far as I'm concerned, I just sit back and wait for it to develop. Usually more often than not, the rumor-mongers were just spinning their heads.
post #98 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Scott was just being a diplomat. No need to stir the hornet's nest. However, what was not being said was far louder than what he did say.

I listen to all the conspiracy theories as to why AT&T is being the way they are during the WWDC and as far as I'm concerned, I just sit back and wait for it to develop. Usually more often than not, the rumor-mongers were just spinning their heads.

It did seem like he was biting his tongue up on stage. I just want to know why they are having so much trouble with this one phone that accounts for one-tenth of their network. We know that the iPhone uses the majority of the data, but would it use the majority of MMS data when its a pay for service with excessive rates, especially when the iPhone has the capabilities for richer options that are already included free of charge.

Some major piece of the puzzle is missing.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #99 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It did seem like he was biting his tongue up on stage.

What do you guys want AT&T do?

It's more like AT&T biting their tongue up so that Apple can have their launch the way that Apple wants.

Like last year's 3G iphone launch, did you want AT&T to go up on stage and basically trash the 1/2 price gimmick? AT&T bit their tongue for a few days and then the world found out that Steve Jobs was talking trash.

The carriers are all going to charge extra for tethering --- so the carriers bit their tongue and allow Apple to have their word on stage.
post #100 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

What do you guys want AT&T do?

It's more like AT&T biting their tongue up so that Apple can have their launch the way that Apple wants.

Like last year's 3G iphone launch, did you want AT&T to go up on stage and basically trash the 1/2 price gimmick? AT&T bit their tongue for a few days and then the world found out that Steve Jobs was talking trash.

The carriers are all going to charge extra for tethering --- so the carriers bit their tongue and allow Apple to have their word on stage.

This makes no sense. The "tongue biting" being referred to involves implying but not outright saying that AT&T is dropping the ball on their network and services. That the iPhone can do more than AT&T either can or will permit it to do. It's Apple being semi-diplomatic in regards to a technical or organizational failing of their US cell carrier partner.

I have no idea what you think your counter-example is about. AT&T resents Apple putting the iPhone's price structure in the best possible light and would play up the expenses if it were up to them? What?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #101 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

What do you guys want AT&T do?

It's more like AT&T biting their tongue up so that Apple can have their launch the way that Apple wants.

Like last year's 3G iphone launch, did you want AT&T to go up on stage and basically trash the 1/2 price gimmick? AT&T bit their tongue for a few days and then the world found out that Steve Jobs was talking trash.

The carriers are all going to charge extra for tethering --- so the carriers bit their tongue and allow Apple to have their word on stage.

Im not following your post at all. How is AT&T biting their tongue when Apple clearly states the iPhone costs $199 w/subsidization. That isnt some new fangled Apple math. That what every US carrier and probably most carriers do, and what theyve been doing long before the iPhone came around. The cost out the door is half of what it was prior to the 3G launch. Are you suggesting AT&T wanted to say Hey, the real price is higher but we have to pay Apple for the difference which is why we require a 2 year agreement.? Besides being obvious, I dont see why AT&T would want to jump up and say that.

As for tethering, most will charge for tethering. There are some countries that typical include it as part of the data plan. AT&T has been to charge a different rate for tethering with other phones, so why not the iPhone when there has been so much time to prepare for it? Why do they need to prepare for it? Why do you think they are biting their tongues about a service they arent offering but Apple clearly has ready on their end?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #102 of 191
AT&T: "Damn, we're going to charge an assload more for iPhone services than Apple is letting on! If only we weren't obliged to play ball because of being obliged to sell their damn phone, we'd be shouting that from the rooftops! We must continue to bit our tongues!"
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #103 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

AT&T: "Damn, we're going to charge an assload more for iPhone services than Apple is letting on! If only we weren't obliged to play ball because of being obliged to sell their damn phone, we'd be shouting that from the rooftops! We must continue to bit our tongues!"

Even if that was true, which I don't think it is, none of that explains why they would delay. ATT already allows cell phone users to tether their phone and there's no reason why iPhone users would use more data than other phone users when tethered. iPhone users will pay the same amount as other users to tether and will not use more data, so why would ATT care? It's all very profitable for ATT.
post #104 of 191
It isn't credible for AT&T to not want to offer tethering for the iPhone.

As has been said, they will charge for it.

Unless, for some reason, they won't.

We don't know. If they will charge, the reason why they aren't offering it could be some changes to their network as has also been mentioned, but it has also been written about this that they have to alter something in each account first, and that that will take time.

I would imagine that they would like to charge for this, and by waiting, they are just losing money. So I can't believe that they don't want to do it.

Of course, if they won't charge for it, possibly because of some deal with Apple, the situation could be different.
post #105 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It isn't credible for AT&T to not want to offer tethering for the iPhone.

As has been said, they will charge for it.

Unless, for some reason, they won't.

We don't know. If they will charge, the reason why they aren't offering it could be some changes to their network as has also been mentioned, but it has also been written about this that they have to alter something in each account first, and that that will take time.

I would imagine that they would like to charge for this, and by waiting, they are just losing money. So I can't believe that they don't want to do it.

Of course, if they won't charge for it, possibly because of some deal with Apple, the situation could be different.

Not only are they losing money by not charging for the option, they have been losing money by having it function for free. I am now running iPhone OS X v3.0 GM and unfettered tethering is still active. If this is not plugged by next week then AT&Ts network may get a lot more business than it normally would and there will be plenty of upset customers when they finally pull the plug sometime in the future.

As Ive stated before, AT&T is more reactive than proactive, but theyve had so long to work on MMS and tethering issues and there other phones offer it so I have no idea what their issue is.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #106 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I dont recall Apple jabbing AT&T at all. They mentioned that carriers will offer MMS next week and that AT&T will offer it later in the summer, people laughed as its funny but it wasnt a jab. Then later they mentioned tethering and had a about 22 carriers on the board, people laughed when they noticed AT&T was not among them. Scott Forestall made no further mention of the situation.

h.

Well on the podcast MAC OS KEN. Ken and a Guest speaker who is a developer for app's and other software, talked about how great all the new iphone stuff is . Any way you have to play the podcast. I will try to get you a link. You will never undertand me i feel .
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #107 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I
Your second paragraph I dont follow. In what regard will they bring Verizon on board? subsidized notebooks with built-in 3G cards? While that sounds ideal I have a hard time thinking that Verizon will have bent so much to Apples demands, that Apple would make a CDMA-based-only notebook without it being GSM-based, and would want to make their lineup wonky by offering their iPhone on AT&T but have their customers also sign up for Verizon for their subsidized notebook. Overall, its not a big deal, but its certainly un-Apple-like.
.

Sorry, if i was not so clear. I was kinda DAY-dreaming like that apple is so fed up with ATT&T that verizon could back door there way in.
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #108 of 191
ATT has already announced that they won't have MMS in place in the US until their in-house data base work is completed to remove old legacy code from every single account and then add it fresh to each new iPhone account that is activating it. Every single account needs to have opt-out codes removed and rewritten. There are several releases on this already.

Those of us who have been with ATT for years, long before the iPhone, know that their older MMS system did not always work, and that they charge a hefty monthly fee for it (Yes, MMS is NOT free and it's not included on your text or data plans -- it will be an extra charge per month).

Second -- Tethering is also not free. Their current tethering data plans are in the 60 dollar range give or take a few bucks depending on your voice plan and phone. Current rumors state that the iPhone tethering plan will be 70.00. I've seen that on three or four different websites now.

The delay on tethering is most likely due to ATT not having updated their databases so that they can properly charge for tethering without letting accounts connect for free and bypass their billing system. Again, it's in-house data-base work. It involves making sure they have tested everything for data codes and IP address feedback. some of us from ATT will recall the threatening letter they sent out to early users of their HTC windows mobile phones that were able to tether for awhile for free, until ATT caught on and sent out cease and decist letters, down to indicating the number of minutes of tethering data on their databases via laptop IP codes. They closed that loop pretty fast but lost millions in the meantime. This one will be better planned out for sure before they launch something they aren't ready for.

In essence, ATT is not at all data-savvy --- Apple can create these amazing machines, but neither Apple, Rim, nor HTC phones are well understood by the phone company itself. That wouldn't make a difference if it were Verizon, Sprint, or any other provider (and heaven forbid, T-Mobile). But that results in all sorts of in-house problems for ATT. Those of us who had the original iPhone will remember talking to ATT Customer Service reps who didn't either understand the questions they were being asked, nor what the answers they were reading out of their prompt books even meant! Eventually, they switched all iPhone questions directly over to Apple support. This was also not helpful because Apple support doesn't understand the phone-company specific questions -- remember being switched back and forth from Customer service rep to Customer service rep, until you ultimately hung up in futility?

That hasn't improved. But people have gotten more knowlegeble about using the iPhones now - and the forums are the first place people head for questions and feedback. Look at the Apple iPhone discussion forum -- there are tens of thousands of iPhone threads...

By the way, speaking of Moderators (As mentioned earlier above) - ATT's discussion forums moderators once used to DELETE any thread that referred any users to Apple's iPhone Discussion forum. What we have here is a failure to communicate.
post #109 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Sorry, if i was not so clear. I was kinda DAY-dreaming like that apple is so fed up with ATT&T that verizon could back door there way in.

Funny thing about *contracts*.....
post #110 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

This makes a good point and it's why, if I'm going to get really crabby and reactionary, it's likely going to be in response to a new poster who leads off with "Wow, what a bunch of fanboys you guys are really lame", etc.

It has nothing to do with defending the honor of Apple or some nonsense, it's simple manners. If you were hanging out with a loose circle of friends at the neighborhood pub, and someone you'd never seen before came in and sat down at your table and the first thing they said was "Wow, you guys are totally posers I couldn't help but overhear your conversation and let me tell you, you sound like a bunch of idiots", that person would not be warmly welcomed.

Apparently on the internet the proper response is "you make an interesting point, indeed some of our crowd are useless twits, but stick around, I think you'll find that at least some of us are worthy of your attention". Not really feeling that, unless we just agree that being a Mac user is sort of shameful and we have to adopt an attitude of obsequious deference to our betters, or some fucked up notion such as that.

The trouble is, when enough people start coming and going, and enough of those are expending a lot of energy loudly decrying the general shabbiness and stupidity of our metaphorical pub, it's unlikely your going to have much of a sense of community or comity.

Myself, I can't see the point of hanging out in a Mac enthusiast forum so that you can tell everybody how stupid their enthusiasm is, over and over again. It strikes me as a mental illness, and I think such people should be banned just because the sourness and bitterness that apparently is a symptom of such illness is toxic to any sense of community.

That's a fair sight from demanding everyone toe the Apple line, or only speak well of the platform, or whatever other straw man might leap to mind. But constant, sneering references to "fan boys" and meeting every appreciation of any particular thing Apple might do with the same, tedious sarcasm about "worshipping at Jobs feet" and "flipping out if anyone questions your precious Apple" are, to my mind, a kind of sludge that ever drags down the forum into ugliness. It's a freaking Mac enthusiast site. Why do I have to worry about coming off as "enthusiastic"?

Lots of people here, myself included, are perfectly capable of calling Apple out for boneheaded moves or wondering what the hell they were thinking when they did whatever without relying on the lazy, braindead "fanboy" chant to knock down anyone who disagrees.

Since at this point the very use of the term "fanboy" is such a clear indicator of having nothing to contribute beyond tribal hostility I would ban a member for using it, every time. That alone would probably clear about about 75% of the pointless snark that's infesting the forum.

Dude you have 8000 posts. You must love apple a little.


If you slam apple for no reason everytime you post and i defend apple each time // am i a fan boy ??
Apple is a company. People getting all upset either way is stupid . I just hate people who come here to fight or start fights. Trolls I guess is the term. And feeding the trolls sucks too. I do take pride in apple and all they have done. I took my life saving's and bought apple when they were at 8. I lost tons of cash every where else.

9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #111 of 191
Interesting that it's now the 14th, and the online Apple Store still says that orders will be delivered on the 19th.
post #112 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedB View Post

Yes, I was talking to an Apple Tech on the store chat because I wanted to switch from a reservation to just getting it shipped to me and she said the following.

•\tYou are chatting with Yolanda, an Apple Expert
•\tHi, my name is Yolanda. Welcome to Apple!
•\tYou: Hello, Earlier in the week I preordered an iPhone and decided to reserve it at the store, unfortunately I won’t be able to pick it up at the store. Can I now just re-preorder it and have it shipped to me? Or will there be a problem?
•\tYolanda: Good evening.
•\tYolanda: How may I help you today?
•\tYolanda: You can call Customer Service to cancel the order.
•\tYolanda: If you don't show up on the 19th, that is okay acutally.
•\tYolanda: The numbers of orders has exceeded the first shipments to the stores.
•\tYolanda: Meaning we are expected to not have enough on the 19th to give out anyway.

•\tYolanda: its okay if you go in a day or two later for pickup.
•\tYou: Okay, thank you very much

Yes, but we all know that Yolanda skipped off with security programmer, made you shave off your beard, and left you in the desert naked. All because you tricked into getting an iPhone early. Apple service I think not!

To those who get this, thank you.
(and I have been waiting for an excuse!)
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
post #113 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshermanoaks View Post

Interesting that it's now the 14th, and the online Apple Store still says that orders will be delivered on the 19th.

i've read the article and posts a couple of times and I see no mention of Apple deliveries anywhere. It seems to affect AT&T only.

(of course that is what I'm hoping for since we've got two on order for home delivery on Friday from Apple directly)

Order Status on the Apple Store shows prepared for shipment. So I'm hopeful.
post #114 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkarl View Post


Order Status on the Apple Store shows prepared for shipment. So I'm hopeful.

I also ordered two--a 32 for me and a 16 for the wife. Mine says "prepared for shipment" while hers still says "not yet shipped." I sure hope her delivery date doesn't slip--especially if mine ships ontime...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #115 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I also ordered two--a 32 for me and a 16 for the wife. Mine says "prepared for shipment" while hers still says "not yet shipped." I sure hope her delivery date doesn't slip--especially if mine ships ontime...

Yeah! Not only will she be ticked that you bought the 32 for yourself while getting her the cheaper 16, but that yours came first.
post #116 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

This makes a good point and it's why, if I'm going to get really crabby and reactionary, it's likely going to be in response to a new poster who leads off with "Wow, what a bunch of fanboys you guys are really lame", etc.

It has nothing to do with defending the honor of Apple or some nonsense, it's simple manners. If you were hanging out with a loose circle of friends at the neighborhood pub, and someone you'd never seen before came in and sat down at your table and the first thing they said was "Wow, you guys are totally posers I couldn't help but overhear your conversation and let me tell you, you sound like a bunch of idiots", that person would not be warmly welcomed.

Apparently on the internet the proper response is "you make an interesting point, indeed some of our crowd are useless twits, but stick around, I think you'll find that at least some of us are worthy of your attention". Not really feeling that, unless we just agree that being a Mac user is sort of shameful and we have to adopt an attitude of obsequious deference to our betters, or some fucked up notion such as that.

The trouble is, when enough people start coming and going, and enough of those are expending a lot of energy loudly decrying the general shabbiness and stupidity of our metaphorical pub, it's unlikely your going to have much of a sense of community or comity.

Myself, I can't see the point of hanging out in a Mac enthusiast forum so that you can tell everybody how stupid their enthusiasm is, over and over again. It strikes me as a mental illness, and I think such people should be banned just because the sourness and bitterness that apparently is a symptom of such illness is toxic to any sense of community.

That's a fair sight from demanding everyone toe the Apple line, or only speak well of the platform, or whatever other straw man might leap to mind. But constant, sneering references to "fan boys" and meeting every appreciation of any particular thing Apple might do with the same, tedious sarcasm about "worshipping at Jobs feet" and "flipping out if anyone questions your precious Apple" are, to my mind, a kind of sludge that ever drags down the forum into ugliness. It's a freaking Mac enthusiast site. Why do I have to worry about coming off as "enthusiastic"?

Lots of people here, myself included, are perfectly capable of calling Apple out for boneheaded moves or wondering what the hell they were thinking when they did whatever without relying on the lazy, braindead "fanboy" chant to knock down anyone who disagrees.

Since at this point the very use of the term "fanboy" is such a clear indicator of having nothing to contribute beyond tribal hostility I would ban a member for using it, every time. That alone would probably clear about about 75% of the pointless snark that's infesting the forum.

You make some outstanding points here. But it is inherent to the nature of the beast, and it seems to me that one has no choice but to deal with it. The continued success of sites like AI requires revenue, revenue requires ads, ads require eyeballs, and eyeballs are drawn to controversy and bomb-throwers.

If folks were banned for the criteria recommended above, there'd be very few left here, and AI would not survive.

I think a deeper - and more interesting - challenge is to focus on how people can be brought around to a point of view that, over time and by dint of persuasive arguments, espouses some of the important attributes you mention, such as manners, community, and comity.
post #117 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Yes, but we all know that Yolanda skipped off with security programmer, made you shave off your beard, and left you in the desert naked. All because you tricked into getting an iPhone early. Apple service I think not!

To those who get this, thank you.
(and I have been waiting for an excuse!)

Alas, if Steve understood this reference, we'd have another big damn movie.

Even if the last big damn movie didn't actually turn out to be too big. But I'd pay $50 to buy a direct to iTunes mini series.
post #118 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I also ordered two--a 32 for me and a 16 for the wife. Mine says "prepared for shipment" while hers still says "not yet shipped." I sure hope her delivery date doesn't slip--especially if mine ships ontime...

In our household there would be some discussion about whether or not the one of us that got it first would even be able to crack open the box.
post #119 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Yeah! Not only will she be ticked that you bought the 32 for yourself while getting her the cheaper 16, but that yours came first.

I know--I'm in dangerous territory now. I was counting on the iPhone in her hand to dazzle her so as to not notice the storage differential, but if mine arrives first, who knows what details she will see.
My best option (assuming an asymetrical delay) would be to sit on mine unopened in the package until hers arrived. Yeah, I see that happening...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #120 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkarl View Post

In our household there would be some discussion about whether or not the one of us that got it first would even be able to crack open the box.

Well, they are coming to my place of work so as to avoid the dreaded delivery-slip-left-on-the-door angst. I suppose I could crack it to poke at it and such. Activating it, on the other hand, could rock the boat...

I'm just kidding, of course. I married right--12 year Mac user and all, no conversion necessary--but she knows her iPhone lust is not in the same ball park as mine. She would not hold me back (assuming she did not know about the extra 16 gigs of storage)...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T already sold out of launch day iPhone 3G S pre-orders