or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › University claims Apple's glossy screens may cause injury
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

University claims Apple's glossy screens may cause injury - Page 6

post #201 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Now if only you had a glossy display you could use the reflection to help you with all that backpedaling you’re doing.

Oh dear, another deduction made. I have a glossy screen. Wow, I can't believe you are making the same mistakes over and over again.
post #202 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechengit View Post

Other people's rationale of choosing matte or glossy is not in my interest at all, so why do I need to state that matte screen purchasers are also ignorant? Just because I need to guard people like you who like to draw conclusions based on your own deduction? Even if I said that "matte screen purchasers are also ignorant" is not going to change anything because you are interpreting people's word based on your own deduction anyway. From all my quotes you took earlier, none of them are saying that "whoever uses glossy screen are ignorant". It's more than obvious that the "whoever uses glossy screen are ignorant" statement is based on your own deduction and now you're accusing me of backpeddling. You're so pathetic.



Let me put your foot into your own month... because glossy screen does have its advantage. "Why did Apple choose not to use a better glossy screens out there that have much lower glare" is the question. Is that a preference matter for some people who happened to like glare? Hopefully not. Giving a matte screen option limited to the high-end model rather than increasing the cost to fix glare across all models which few people care about is obviously a much cheaper option to solve the glare issue, especially the group that buy the highest-end model have a higher portion of people that are more aware and intelligible about screen quality.

PLEASE... cut the crap of making your deductions like for example... "oh... so you mean whoever that buys a smaller screen is necessarily less intelligible about their screen than those who buy a bigger screen" You did something like that and I have enough of that already.



Still, why the lower end models don't have such options to choose from? Just because 17 MBP is still the only one with that option since the sweeping change? I don't see that as a valid answer.

You can copy/paste your posts all you want, but it doesnt hide your statement that many, if not most, people who have differing opinions about display types are ignorant.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #203 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You can copy/paste your posts all you want, but it doesn’t hide your statement that many, if not most, people who have differing opinions about display types are ignorant.

So you want to be narrow minded that has to take people's meaning one way or the other. That's fine with me.

Let me say this. Your inappropriate deductions are more than obvious and you can't hide them.

I said many, if not most, consumers are ignorant and I can say that as many times as you want. That only goes to show your inappropriate deductions you've made several times.
post #204 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

Actually, it's exactly what you said. You may have meant something different but if that is the case I think you should have worded it differently. Having said that, I would like if there was the option for a matte display. The glossy I have now does bother me on rare occassions BUT provides more color depth. It's something I'd like to be able to compare side by side and make a decision on. It's all a matter of personal preference. I hate ultra glossy plasma TV's but some people prefer them.

I appreciate the fact that you are willing to judge rationally, even though we don't necessarily agree with each other.
post #205 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechengit View Post

Oh dear, another deduction made. I have a glossy screen. Wow, I can't believe you are making the same mistakes over and over again.

What is worse, being an ignorant customer because you prefer a glossy display or being an ignorant customer for buying a display you didnt like?I guess hindsight isnt 20/20 for everyone.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #206 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerofTruth View Post

I was wondering if the glass in the 17" is removable like it is on the new iMacs. If it was, couldn't someone make a replacement that is non-glare? You could keep your glass and put it back if you needed to take it in for service.

Apple would move more Macbooks if they could license Sony's technology or create their own non gloss (no glass) option instead of what they are selling now. It's not the same screen as the glossy and unless I'm mistaken, it wouldn't be too hard to offer the same screen without the glass on it.

I'm not up to speed on particulars of the technology, if by removing the glass does one get a matte screen or not (like with the iMac), I don't know.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #207 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I'm not up to speed on particulars of the technology, if by removing the glass does one get a matte screen or not (like with the iMac), I don't know.

iFixit doesn’t even do the teardown past removing the entire lid assembly from the case. They sell the new display for $500-600 with the iSight Camera, Bluetooth, and Airport card included. If the numbers are right Apple should offer the matte option as some people surely prefer it, but with these new unibody Macs being on their 2nd revision and the 17” being the only one with the option they may not see it a viable option if too few prefer it.

Since this is just a matte option that will not be overwhelmingly popular (since many, if not most, people, are ignorant) they could release the option at any time. There is no reason to wait for a huge announcement to announce it.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/M...-Display/781/5
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #208 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What is worse, being an ignorant customer because you prefer a glossy display or being an ignorant customer for buying a display you didn’t like?I guess hindsight isn’t 20/20 for everyone.

Again and again... how pathetic can you get? Did I say whoever buy a glossy display is ignorant? No. Did I say a glossy screen is necessarily a worse screen than a matte one? No. Is it obvious your misunderstanding is based on your obviously inappropriate deduction? Yes. Worst and ironic of all, you're the one who said matte/glossy is just a preference matter and now you're trying to enforce me to hate glossy screen. Wow!
post #209 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechengit View Post

I said that many, if not most, consumers are ignorant...

To add a point here taken from a post at MacMatte

http://macmatte.wordpress.com/


Quote:
Question: Why do people choose glossy displays?

Answer: In short people like shiny things. Aside from the shine, there’s also a perceptible difference in sharpness and color saturation on glossy screens. These things stand out, and in a dark room free of reflections, they are indeed better. But not everyone lives in the dark.

Question: Don’t people regret their purchase later when glare, eyestrain and headaches rear their ugly heads?

Answer: In “shopping mode,” shiny, saturated, sharp is all people see. Customers aren’t trying to read the screens or move the laptops to different locations in different kinds of lighting. Shopping is almost always an emotional experience, not a rational one.

Naturally a informed consumer of the hazards of glossy displays could decide to avoid them.

Apple is selling over 50% of their Apple Store sales to NEW to Mac/first time users.

I have nothing against using glossy displays to sucker new users into a "look shiny" impulse purchase.

Just give us regulars/experienced types the option to have a matte option.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #210 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechengit View Post

Did I say whoever buy a glossy display are ignorant?

Yes

Quote:
Did I say a glossy screen is necessarily a worse screen than a matte one?

Yes

That is the issue we are having with your claims. We’ve stated that each has their pros and cons, and each has a preference and we’d like to see Apple offer both options, if feasible. You’ve clearly stated over and over again starting from post #7 of this thread how much glossy screens suck and how much Apple has tricked ignorant customers into preferring them. This tactic of yours might work in a verbal conversation that isn’t recorded but your words are being recorded here. No amount of lying can’t take back what you said. If you’ve mispoke I have failed to see to correct yourself; only that you keep stating that you didn’t state what you’ve stated.


Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechengit View Post

I’ve never said that those whoever use glossy screen is ignorant.


Post #7: They just don't want to admit the issue because many ignorant consumers like the glossy screen.

Post #16: This goes to show that Apple acknowledges the glaring issue of the glossy screen already and does not want to admit it because bunch of ignorant consumers like the glossy screen.


Post #39: A large number of consumers, if not most consumers, are ignorant. Period.
With a perfect dismount into a pesonal attack
Post #40: [At Macxpress] ...then you're obviously ignorant.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #211 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

iFixit doesnt even do the teardown past removing the entire lid assembly from the case. They sell the new display for $500-600 with the iSight Camera, Bluetooth, and Airport card included. If the numbers are right Apple should offer the matte option as some people surely prefer it, but with these new unibody Macs being on their 2nd revision and the 17 being the only one with the option they may not see it a viable option if too few prefer it.

Since this is just a matte option that will not be overwhelmingly popular (since many, if not most, people, are ignorant) they could release the option at any time. There is no reason to wait for a huge announcement to announce it.
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/M...-Display/781/5

At the bottom of the third page of the ifixit teardown, they explain that the glass is sealed to the screen, so it's a no go to replace just the glass with something else.

The only way I can see Apple selling the new screen with a matte finish is if they run out of the older matte screens and have enough demand or pressure to keep providing an alternative to glossy, which they should.
post #212 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is it just a coincidence that the dean’s brother-in-law sells anti-glare covers for computer monitors?

Maybe... though it's a very interesting thought to consider.
post #213 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Yes.
Yes.
That is the issue we are having with your claims. We’ve stated that each has their pros and cons, and each has a preference and we’d like to see Apple offer both options, if feasible. You’ve clearly stated over and over again starting from post #7 of this thread how much glossy screens suck and how much Apple has tricked ignorant customers into preferring them. This tactic of yours might work in a verbal conversation that isn’t recorded but your words are being recorded here. No amount of lying can’t take back what you said. If you’ve mispoke I have failed to see to correct yourself; only that you keep stating that you didn’t state what you’ve stated.

You still don't want to admit your inappropriate deductions? How pathetic.

From post #7

I first mentioned the glare issues on Macbooks that Apple has acknowledged of. Does that mean I'm saying "glossy screen are definitely worse than matte and now only ignorant will use glossy screen. Glossy screen sucks and matte screen rules"? No. Ironically, you're the one who has been emphasizing the pros and cons of both sides!

I also mentioned that many ignorant consumers like the glossy screen in post #7. Does that mean I'm saying "whoever uses or likes glossy screen are ignorant"? Obviously not.

I'm glad that my words are recorded because it only goes to show your obviously inappropriate deduction.

By the way, I can say it again and again that many consumers, if not all, are ignorant. There, you have it and I can say that as many times as you like. That will not hide the fact that your misunderstanding is based on your own deduction.

Man, you are cracking me up and really made my day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


Post #7: They just don't want to admit the issue because many ignorant consumers like the glossy screen.



So that means whoever uses glossy screen are ignorant?
So does that mean I said that a glossy screen is necessarily a worse screen than a matte one?
Obviously not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Post #16: This goes to show that Apple acknowledges the glaring issue of the glossy screen already and does not want to admit it because bunch of ignorant consumers like the glossy screen.


So that means whoever uses glossy screen are ignorant?
So does that mean I said that a glossy screen is necessarily a worse screen than a matte one?
Obviously not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Post #39: A large number of consumers, if not most consumers, are ignorant. Period.


So that means whoever uses glossy screen are ignorant?
So does that mean I said that a glossy screen is necessarily a worse screen than a matte one?
Obviously not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

With a perfect dismount into a pesonal attack
Post #40: [At Macxpress] ...then you're obviously ignorant.

Oh... so that draws to the conclusion that whoever uses glossy screen are ignorant?
So does that mean I said that a glossy screen is necessarily a worse screen than a matte one?
Obviously not!

Man, you are really cracking me up. You not only misread once, but four times.
post #214 of 333
i wouldn't trust anything that comes out of queensland.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #215 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Yes
That is the issue we are having with your claims. Weve stated that each has their pros and cons, and each has a preference and wed like to see Apple offer both options, if feasible. Youve clearly stated over and over again starting from post #7 of this thread how much glossy screens suck and how much Apple has tricked ignorant customers into preferring them. This tactic of yours might work in a verbal conversation that isnt recorded but your words are being recorded here. No amount of lying cant take back what you said. If youve mispoke I have failed to see to correct yourself; only that you keep stating that you didnt state what youve stated.

It's probably pointless to continue your debate with this guy - he seems pretty expert at bending his words, and yours, to mean whatever he wants them to after the fact. The fact that he feels free to hurl insults at you (like calling you pathetic), while simultaneously proclaiming how wronged he is by others, speaks volumes. What can you do - there are just a lot of cocky, arrogant types in the tech industry who define their worth based on how smart they can attempt to look compared to others, as opposed to working towards something of real substance, both in terms of their work and their character. It's not worth your time.
post #216 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerofTruth View Post

At the bottom of the third page of the ifixit teardown, they explain that the glass is sealed to the screen, so it's a no go to replace just the glass with something else.

The only way I can see Apple selling the new screen with a matte finish is if they run out of the older matte screens and have enough demand or pressure to keep providing an alternative to glossy, which they should.

Now that the 13 MB has gone Pro and now has a much better display its certainly more likely, but with this second revision in place and the 15 MBP still without the option it seems that Apple either isnt seeing the numbers to justify the expense or they are having some problems creating it. The latter seems exceedingly unlikely.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #217 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

It's probably pointless to continue your debate with this guy - he seems pretty expert at bending his words, and yours, to mean whatever he wants them to after the fact. The fact that he feels free to hurl insults at you (like calling you pathetic), while simultaneously proclaiming how wronged he is by others, speaks volumes. What can you do - there are just a lot of cocky, arrogant types in the tech industry who define their worth based on how smart they can attempt to look compared to others, as opposed to working towards something of real substance, both in terms of their work and their character. It's not worth your time.

Youre right, type posts certainly get to me more than they should. It seems no matter how objective you are or how many times you point out where they contradict themselves they either dont see it or simply cant admit it. Im somewhat fascinated by that mindset, to tell you the truth. Ive just dont encounter these type of people in the real world. I would really like to put them into some sort reality show. Id watch it.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #218 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

It's probably pointless to continue your debate with this guy - he seems pretty expert at bending his words, and yours, to mean whatever he wants them to after the fact. The fact that he feels free to hurl insults at you (like calling you pathetic), while simultaneously proclaiming how wronged he is by others, speaks volumes. What can you do - there are just a lot of cocky, arrogant types in the tech industry who define their worth based on how smart they can attempt to look compared to others, as opposed to working towards something of real substance, both in terms of their work and their character. It's not worth your time.

Ironically, your personal attack and insult over here are no less than others.
post #219 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You’re right, type posts certainly get to me more than they should. It seems no matter how objective you are or how many times you point out where they contradict themselves they either don’t see it or simply can’t admit it. I’m somewhat fascinated by that mindset, to tell you the truth. I’ve just don’t encounter these type of people in the real world. I would really like to put them into some sort reality show. I’d watch it.


You're the one who can't admit your own inappropriate deduction. You should probably go back to school and take a logic class.

"Bunch of ignorant consumers who like glossy screen" means "a glossy screen is necessarily a worse product than a matte ones" and "whoever likes glossy screen is ignorant"? Wow, I hope you're not telling me that whatever successful products must have very few, if not none, ignorant owners.
post #220 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechengit View Post

You're the one who can't admit your own inappropriate deduction. You should probably go back to school and take a logic class.

You are probably right, but since I prefer a glossy display over matte I am apparently too ignorant to gets me some learnin'.

PS: Care to use logic to describe again how ignorant people like glossy displays?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #221 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechengit View Post

Ironically, your personal attack and insult over here is no less than others.

You are also not worth MY time, just to clarify.
post #222 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You are probably right, but since I prefer a glossy display over matte I am apparently too ignorant to gets me some learnin'.
PS: Care to use logic to describe again how ignorant people like glossy displays?

No, but I can point out how your funny your logic is in which your inappropriate deduction is based on. Here you go...

Are you telling me that "Bunch of ignorant consumers prefer glossy screen over matte screen" means that "a glossy screen is necessarily a worse product than a matte ones" and "whoever likes glossy screen is ignorant"?!

Wow, I hope you're not telling me that whatever good or successful products (either glossy or matte screen) must have less or very few, if not none, ignorant owners.

Hopefully you can figure out what your problem is by now. If not, take a logic class. That is the learning you need.
post #223 of 333
If you really can't stand the glossy screen go to your local hardware store and buy some #0000 steel wool for less than a buck, dip it in liquid dishwasher detergent for lubrication and have at it. Problem solved. Cheaply. Sheesh, you whining pussies.
post #224 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Now that the 13 MB has gone Pro and now has a much better display its certainly more likely, but with this second revision in place and the 15 MBP still without the option it seems that Apple either isnt seeing the numbers to justify the expense or they are having some problems creating it. The latter seems exceedingly unlikely.

Unless the problem is that it costs too much to make right now. I doubt that glossy will totally replace matte in the professional series, they're are too many users accustomed to matte that refuse to buy glossy. It's like the die-hards who still use Quark. God help Quark if they change their minds.
post #225 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

If you really can't stand the glossy screen go to your local hardware store and buy some #0000 steel wool for less than a buck, dip it in liquid dishwasher detergent for lubrication and have at it. Problem solved. Cheaply. Sheesh, you whining pussies.

Nah, then it would look like a 1st gen Nano.
post #226 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

You are also not worth MY time, just to clarify.

Oh, absolutely not! Your time is only worth for criticizing yourself. Oh... not to mention that you're the one who embarrassed yourself in the first place.
post #227 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerofTruth View Post

Unless the problem is that it costs too much to make right now. I doubt that glossy will totally replace matte in the professional series, they're are too many users accustomed to matte that refuse to buy glossy. It's like the die-hards who still use Quark. God help Quark if they change their minds.

Im sure its cost. Not necessarily costing more than the glass display, but not enough potential bys to justify the expense. After all, "many, if not most consumers are ignorant".

PS: People are still using Quark? Are these Japanese soldiers in the jungle unaware WWII has ended?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #228 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechengit View Post

No need to shame Apple. Apple already has the anti-glare option ONLY for the 17" Macbook Pro. This goes to show that Apple acknowledges the glaring issue of the glossy screen already and does not want to admit it because bunch of ignorant consumers like the glossy screen.

I find your post beyond annoying due to its overzealous generalization.

I'm neither ignorant, nor a "consumer."

I'm a professional who loves & would only ever use a glossy Apple screen for my super critical color work. The other graphic design & photo pros I've worked with, and work with, -all- prefer glossy screens...with, of course, an exception here & there. Frankly, whether one is a consumer or a pro, it takes just a bit of adjustment to one's environment to correct for screen glare.

Cheers anyway, d00d.
post #229 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You are probably right, but since I prefer a glossy display over matte I am apparently too ignorant to gets me some learnin'.

PS: Care to use logic to describe again how ignorant people like glossy displays?

It has nothing to do with logic. It's an absurd, possibly priggish opinion.

Alas, I think I've just become guilty of feeding the tr0llz.
post #230 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: People are still using Quark?

Of course people are still using Quark. It's a delicious alternative to cream cheese!

http://www.germancorner.com/recipes/hints/yoghurt.html


oooooh, you mean that sad little software package that I & so many others were forced to contend with when the digital revolution of graphic design began in the 90s? No, nobody uses it anymore...just that occasional odd type who prefers <shudder> matte over glossy.
post #231 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechengit View Post

Oh dear, another deduction made. I have a glossy screen. Wow, I can't believe you are making the same mistakes over and over again.

He (solipism) always does and then eats crow!
1.) Matte came back .
2.) Shuffles sales stalled.
3.) iPhone got video, MMs and cut and paste.
4.) A small formed Pro laptop has arrived.
5.) Firewire came back.

And the lists will keep on growing- mark my word.
post #232 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Im sure its cost. Not necessarily costing more than the glass display, but not enough potential bys to justify the expense. After all, "many, if not most consumers are ignorant".

PS: People are still using Quark? Are these Japanese soldiers in the jungle unaware WWII has ended?

I don't think these are glass. I tapped on mine and it feels like plastic. I originally thought that like the iMac, the new Macbook Pro's had a glass display. Then I wondered how many would come back to Apple broken after using them in the real world. Then i tapped on mine, hmm.. feels flimsy like plastic. I guess I assumed since it looked like both the iPhone and the iMac that it was glass. Doh!
post #233 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

What can you do - there are just a lot of cocky, arrogant types in the tech industry who define their worth based on how smart they can attempt to look compared to others, as opposed to working towards something of real substance, both in terms of their work and their character.

And you're siding with the Master of them.
post #234 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by patroll View Post

I am not sure that you can dismiss someone's opinion or conjecture and replace it with your own arbitrary conjecture by just shouting "no". If you worked at the Apple store and knew for a fact that the old displays were used because of glare issues with the new ones, things would be different. As things stand, I stick to the explanation that seems more reasonable - to me at least. Apple is extremely successful financially and demonstrates time and again that it understands the market (public information). It seems implausible that they would risk their financial success by marketing a product which their own staff consider unfit for its intended use. I therefore conclude that the more likely scenario is that Apple, being a well-run company, is "sweating its assets", i.e. uses the old displays for training instead of selling them at half price or putting them in the bin.

Having said that, if you explain in a logical way how you got to your conclusion, we should all be prepared to listen and consider your point of view. Are you able to do that?

If I have to explain to you the definition of both glossy and glare then you are both clueless and hopeless.
post #235 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

If anybody can supply peer-reviewed clinical evidence, please

Now we know a lot of comments about Apples glossy screens are about to flood this site, it wouldn't hurt anybody to look at some of this university's other recommendations before commenting.

They even outline how you should was your hands, how armrests could be harmful and how to find out if the 'seat' pan is suitable for you. http://www.hrd.qut.edu.au/healthsafe...ely/chairs.jsp
\t\t
  • Health and Safety
  • Working Safely at QUT \t\t
  • Chairs and Sitting Well \t\t
  • Children on Campus \t\t
  • Communicable Diseases \t\t
  • Counter Designs \t\t
  • Executive Chairs \t\t
  • First Aid \t\t
  • Health and Safety Induction \t\t
  • Health and Safety Reports \t\t
  • High Gloss Monitors\t\t
  • Legislation \t\t
  • Policy \t\t
  • Reporting an Incident \t\t
  • Roles and Responsibilities \t\t
  • Risk Assessment \t\t
  • Safe Computer Use \t\t
  • Safe Office Checklist \t\t
  • SARS \t\t
  • Sharps Disposal \t\t
  • Smoking\t\t
  • Sun Safety \t\t
  • Template for Health and Safety Roles \t\t
  • Travel Advice \t\t
  • Unauthorised Animals on Campus \t\t
  • WHSOs and WHSRs\t\t
  • Workplace Harassment\t
  • Lab Safety\t
  • Health and Safety Audit System\t
  • Staying Healthy at Work\t
  • Training\t
  • Rehabilitation\t
  • Workers' Compensation

That would be because there is a correct way to wash your hands and businesses are required to inform staff about occupational health and safety of which ergonomics is a part. You may chortle now but wait until you are 55 and have a bad back or RSI in your wrists.
post #236 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_23 View Post

I find your post beyond annoying due to its overzealous generalization.

I'm neither ignorant, nor a "consumer."

I'm a professional who loves & would only ever use a glossy Apple screen for my super critical color work. The other graphic design & photo pros I've worked with, and work with, -all- prefer glossy screens...with, of course, an exception here & there. Frankly, whether one is a consumer or a pro, it takes just a bit of adjustment to one's environment to correct for screen glare.

Cheers anyway, d00d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_23 View Post

It has nothing to do with logic. It's an absurd, possibly priggish opinion.

Alas, I think I've just become guilty of feeding the tr0llz.

*sigh*
Does the sentence "bunch of ignorant consumers like the glossy screen" mean that "all glossy screen users are ignorant consumers" or "glossy screen is necessarily worse than matte screen"? Seriously, what are you reading? Would you mind thinking through a bit before acting like a tr0llz? Your reading skills probably have no logic involved at all.

Wow, I can't believe this. Are people like you and solipsism trying to persuade me that whatever better or good product (either glossy or matte screen) must have less or very few, if not none, ignorant owners? Hopefully not, because such statement is hilarious.

No wonder they're adding arguments in the GRE exams.
post #237 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

2.) Shuffles sales stalled.

Subsiding after initial release is not stalling.
Quote:
3.) iPhone got video, MMs and cut and paste.

Predicted, predicted, predicted. Asserting that these features are easy to implement because they have it on the desktop version is not the same as stating they come when they get worked out. It’s clear now that MMS is an AT&T issue, not Apple, one that I tested months ago along with tethering.

Quote:
4.) A small formed Pro laptop has arrived.

Predicted this too, yet you told me Apple wouldn’t update the uMB display without making a big todo about it first.
Quote:
5.) Firewire came back.:

And predicted, as my previous reposting of posts from last year and many, many times since then indicated.


You have to really quite the all-or-nothing juvenile attitude you have. To say that video can’t feasibly come to the iPhone 3G is not the same as your pessimistic view that Apple will never bring to the iPhone or that they are artificially holding it back. Other things I have stated are:

• 3rd-party background apps will come to the iPhone, but they won’t come to the original or iPhone 3G as they can’t feasibly support it

That varies from your sky is falling stance that Apple is artificially holding it back when other smartphones have had it for years. The objective person looks at how the OS tasks the HW, not just the OS. They also look at how Apple works as a company, not how they’d like Apple to work to suit their selfish needs.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #238 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechengit View Post

Wow, I can't believe this. Are people like you and solipsism trying to persuade me that whatever better or good product (either glossy or matte screen) must have less or very few, if not none, ignorant owners? This is so funny.

I dont know what shortbus this Eddie Haskel backpedaling usually works on but if you think its going to work on a forum with learned adults you are sorely mistaken.

No, no, I meant that there is probably someone who likes a glossy display that may be ignorant as to the type of display options available. I never implied that people as a whole who like glossy displays are ignorant. How could you think of me, Wally?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #239 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don’t know what shortbus this Eddie Haskel backpedaling usually works on but if you think it’s going to work on a forum with learned adults you are sorely mistaken.

“No, no, I meant that there is probably someone who likes a glossy display that may be ignorant as to the type of display options available. I never implied that people as a whole who like glossy displays are ignorant. How could you think of me, Wally?"

If you insist on your faulty deduction that you have been making, you will inevitably come to a stupid conclusion that whatever better or good product (either glossy or matte screen) must have less or very few, if not none, ignorant owners.

You're either dodging my point or stupid enough to not understand a bit of what I'm saying.
post #240 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechengit View Post

If you insist on your faulty deduction that you have been making, you will inevitably come to a stupid conclusion that whatever better or good product (either glossy or matte screen) must have less or very few, if not none, ignorant owners.

You're either dodging my point or stupid enough to not understand a bit of what I'm saying.

Its that ol ingrained glossy-liking ignorance in me.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › University claims Apple's glossy screens may cause injury