or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone Software 3.0

Apple releases iPhone Software 3.0

post #1 of 381
Apple on Wednesday afternoon formally rolled out iPhone Software 3.0 for existing iPhone and iPod touch customers, delivering some long-requested features such as copy & paste.

Features

In total, iPhone Software 3.0 delivers over 100 new features when compared to the previous version (2.2.1). Some of the more prominent enhancements include:
Cut, Copy & Paste: Quickly cut, copy, and paste text from application to application. Select entire blocks of web text with a tap. Copy and paste images from the web, too.Landscape Keyboard: Rotate iPhone to landscape to use a larger keyboard in Mail, Messages, Notes, and Safari.MMS: Send MMS messages and include video, photos, audio, and contact info. Even tap to snap a picture or shoot a video right inside Messages. MMS support for U.S.-based AT&T customers won't be available until late summer.Spotlight Search: Find what youÂre looking for across your iPhone, all from one place. Spotlight searches all of your contacts, email, calendars, and notes, as well as everything in your iPod.Voice Memos: Capture a memo, a meeting, or any audio recording on the go. Voice Memos works with the built-in iPhone microphone or with the mic on your headset.Improved Calendar: Create meetings via Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync and subscribe to calendars with new CalDAV support.Buy Movies, TV Shows, andÂ*Audiobooks: Download movies, TV shows, music videos, and audiobooks from the iTunes Store on your iPhone.Safari Improvements: Enjoy faster performance, autofill user names and passwords, andÂ*more.Internet Tethering: Share your Internet connection with your laptop with Internet tethering via Bluetooth or USB. Tethering is not currently offered in the U.S. and some other countries.Stereo Bluetooth: Connect compatible Bluetooth stereo headphones, car kits, or other accessories.Automatic Wi-Fi Login: Log in to a Wi-Fi hotspot and iPhone automatically logs you in when you connect again.Sync Notes: Never leave a note behind. Now you can sync all the notes you write on your iPhone back to your Mac or PC.Parental Controls: Decide what music, videos, andÂ*apps your kids can access.iTunes Store Account: Create and log in to one or more iTunes Store accounts directly from your iPhone.YouTube Login: Log in to your YouTube account to save and sync bookmarks and rateÂ*favorites.Shake to Shuffle: Give iPhone a shake and it shufflesÂ*to a different song in yourÂ*music library.New Languages: iPhone supports 30 languages and more than 40 keyboard layouts.MobileMe Find My iPhone andÂ*Remote Wipe: Find your iPhone if you lose it and protect your privacy with Remote Wipe.Run the Latest Apps: Run the next generation of iPhone apps, like peer-to-peer games and more.
Availability

iPhone and iPhone 3G customers can download the new iPhone OS 3.0 software for free while iPod touch customers will first need to purchase the update for $9.95 (US) before downloading and installing it.

Upgrading

To update your iPhone or iPod touch to iPhone Software 3.0, make sure you are using iTunes 8.2 and then connect your iPhone or iPod to your computer. When iTunes opens, select your iPhone or iPod under Devices in the Source List on the left.

In the Summary pane, click "Check for Update." Click Download and Install. Do not disconnect your device until the update has finished.

Feedback

AppleInsider readers are encouraged to provide feedback on their upgrade experiences for other readers in the comments thread for this article.
post #2 of 381
Well, I'm downloading it now. I'll wait on my wife and daughter's though, just in case there are problems.

Keeping my fingers crossed (figuratively!).
post #3 of 381
...my iPhone is feeding from Apple
post #4 of 381
Now that's out of the way.
post #5 of 381
My 2nd gen touch (32gb) with 2.2.2 sees that the update is available, but clicking "update" from within iTunes just loops me back to the, "an update is available" (nothing installs).

Perhaps the servers are overwhelmed with nerds like me trying to be the first to download, first to comment....?
I have seen the future, and it's my mac mini server. I love that little guy...
I have seen the future, and it's my mac mini server. I love that little guy...
post #6 of 381
I'm at work and cannot update til this evening. Can someone please post the "Snappiness" factor of 3.0
post #7 of 381
iTunes is still telling me 221 is current!
post #8 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhunter View Post

...my iPhone is feeding from Apple

7 Minutes to go...
--
My girlfriend thinks I'm curious - that's what I read in her diary
(Unknown)
--
(Unknown)
post #9 of 381
Come on Dev Team.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #10 of 381
Downloading it now...been checking very frequently, so it must have just gone live minutes ago. Will post pack if I notice "snappiness"! (Also, my wife will be getting a 3GS as a new phone and I'll be hanging on to the 3G. Will be interesting to see how much snappier her phone is)
post #11 of 381
Great, now to dig up the jailbreak software for 3.0 so my iPod touch actually stays useful.
post #12 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyopiaRocks View Post

My 2nd gen touch (32gb) with 2.2.2 sees that the update is available, but clicking "update" from within iTunes just loops me back to the, "an update is available" (nothing installs).

Perhaps the servers are overwhelmed with nerds like me trying to be the first to download, first to comment....?

Judging from D/L speed the servers are well (about 450 Kilobytes/sec for me)
--
(Unknown)
--
(Unknown)
post #13 of 381
Almost half way downloading.
post #14 of 381
i got the gold master last week and it says mine is already up to date
post #15 of 381
im downloading right now! cant wait
post #16 of 381
When will we be able to download it from apple.com? I'm here at work, with my mac, but cannot connect to the network to download through iTunes.
post #17 of 381
On our huge pipe line at work, I downloaded the update in about 10 seconds.

Looks like they were ready
post #18 of 381
How do I get iTunes to recognize it's available if I'm already running a beta version of 3.0?
post #19 of 381
Quote:
Sync Notes: Never leave a note behind. Now you can sync all the notes you write on your iPhone back to your Mac or PC.

Will the notes sync with Exchange? And what about syncing Tasks with Exchange?
post #20 of 381
It keeps saying 2.2 is the current version....... sheeeesh\
aren't you going to miss being the smarter minority when Apple goes mainstream?
aren't you going to miss being the smarter minority when Apple goes mainstream?
post #21 of 381
The download is available in the US. It is 230.1 MB. (Downloading it via iTunes)
post #22 of 381
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
post #23 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmsway View Post

I'm at work and cannot update til this evening. Can someone please post the "Snappiness" factor of 3.0

It doesn't seem any snappier to me, but the animation transitions do seem a little smoother on my iPhone 3G.
post #24 of 381
Downloaded and about 20% installed...woot!
post #25 of 381
I started out downloading at around 1.2 to 1.3 MB/sec it slowed down to about 200KB/sec still not bad didn't take too long for the download. I can only imagine the surge to hit Apple's servers!
post #26 of 381
Sweet 3.0!!!!!!!!!!!! My phone is drinking down every last drop of code right now!!! Love it!!
post #27 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhunter View Post

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

What's the build number (eg, 7A341)?
post #28 of 381
Halfway there
post #29 of 381
... and my iPhone 3g just crashed during the install process, and is stuck on the white apple logo.

FML
post #30 of 381
i hate d/ling from work, we share a DSL line and it is slow as all hell
post #31 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

what's the build number (eg, 7a341)?

7a312
post #32 of 381
How long does the install take?
post #33 of 381
Question - do people who are using their 2Gs are de-facto Touches have to pay to update the 2G to 3.0?
post #34 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijano View Post

Downloading it now...been checking very frequently, so it must have just gone live minutes ago. Will post pack if I notice "snappiness"! (Also, my wife will be getting a 3GS as a new phone and I'll be hanging on to the 3G. Will be interesting to see how much snappier her phone is)

I'm on the west coast of North America and it seemed to go live at about 10:12 or so for me (after clicking ever few seconds from 10:00 AM onwards).
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
post #35 of 381
Looks great. Seems faster (like after you reboot). Haven't tested all the apps, but the core apps seem to work fine. Seems to be syncing with Outlook and MobileMe.

Heading to lunch to tinker and play.

Good luck all.
post #36 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeypk07 View Post

I started out downloading at around 1.2 to 1.3 MB/sec it slowed down to about 200KB/sec still not bad didn't take too long for the download. I can only imagine the surge to hit Apple's servers!

Nah Apple has all of this stuff in cloud servers around the world...it would take a lot more to slow things down.
post #37 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by ase1357 View Post

Several minutes... including backup etc. I am now about 3 minutes into the installation process, about 20 % finished...
--
(Unknown)
--
(Unknown)
post #38 of 381
It's done, and the phone is syncing.

Wait...

The phone turned off and back on with the Apple logo. now there's the progress bar, which is slowly moving across..

Real-time folks. Exciting!

Bar is about 15% across.
post #39 of 381
You'll have to restore in iTunes. This will cause a new build download.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocolts18 View Post

How do I get iTunes to recognize it's available if I'm already running a beta version of 3.0?
post #40 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by ase1357 View Post

10 minutes for me on a 16GB iPhone, (after download) but the download is dependant on your connection of course.

Edit: Done! (woo-hoo etc.)
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone Software 3.0