or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone Software 3.0

Apple releases iPhone Software 3.0 - Page 4

post #121 of 381
Everything seems ok so far.

One thing odd is that when I looked for my programs, all I saw was the first screen with the new voice memos. The second screen showed City transit, but that's all. At first, It looked at though the other programs were gone, but the pages were still showing at the bottom, so i flicked, and they are there. It seems to have moved everything back one whole page, so now I've got to move them all back. Groan, that's six pages of apps!

I also don't see the numeric battery level, and no options available. My battery is fully charged. Is it possible that numbers only show up as it gets drained?
post #122 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsey123 View Post

Spotlight does not seem to search the "note" section of the Contacts address book. It's able to search all the Notes files for all words but not in Address book. Nor can it search out a phone number that's in your Contacts list. Lame. Damn it.

It doesn't seem to search programs that have not been updated for 3.0 also.

I switched to using Notebooks instead of the built in Notes mostly because Notes didn't sync at that time but also to get rid of the uglies. Spotlight doesn't find any of those texts.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
post #123 of 381
Almost done!!!!!=)
Forgo Looking At The Past As A Judge; Instead Be a Student.
Forgo Looking At The Past As A Judge; Instead Be a Student.
post #124 of 381
Forgot to mention the push notifications... those will be cropping up in apps now. That's a MAJOR change.
post #125 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by sortarican4711 View Post

whats the final verdict on the build number?

3.0 (7a341)
post #126 of 381
i know it has been said, but that AT&T MMS disabling until "late summer" is really lame.
post #127 of 381
Has anyone noticed that the notifications preference menu is missing?
post #128 of 381
Hallelujah, it syncs notes with Outlook!
post #129 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

One thing odd is that when I looked for my programs, all I saw was the first screen with the new voice memos. The second screen showed City transit, but that's all. At first, It looked at though the other programs were gone, but the pages were still showing at the bottom, so i flicked, and they are there. It seems to have moved everything back one whole page, so now I've got to move them all back. Groan, that's six pages of apps!

A festering annoyance in the UI is the inability to quickly arrange apps via iTunes instead of on the phone/touch. It's a bleedin' chore!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

post #130 of 381
Got it to upgrade! Had to restore down to 2.0 and it put the iPhone in recovery mode. Then I clicked on Restore and it downloaded the current version (3.0) and updated it.
post #131 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

One thing odd is that when I looked for my programs, all I saw was the first screen with the new voice memos. The second screen showed City transit, but that's all. At first, It looked at though the other programs were gone, but the pages were still showing at the bottom, so i flicked, and they are there. It seems to have moved everything back one whole page, so now I've got to move them all back. Groan, that's six pages of apps!...

This happened to me too. It just bumped one app off of the home page because of the new voice memo app.

If you move that one "bumped" app off it's page, that page disappears and you won't have to move all six pages.
post #132 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmemarcio View Post

Has anyone noticed that the notifications preference menu is missing?

It turns up only when an application has enabled push notifications. Otherwise, it's not there.
post #133 of 381
Love it all, some great new little features, love the shake to shuffle.
post #134 of 381
Exactly... just move the one bumped app somewhere and when you exit out of the screen editing the blank page will disappear... no need to move 6 pages of apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

This happened to me too. It just bumped one app off of the home page because of the new voice memo app.

If you move that one "bumped" app off it's page, that page disappears and you won't have to move all six pages.
post #135 of 381
Quote:

It doesn't seem to search programs that have not been updated for 3.0 also.

I switched to using Notebooks instead of the built in Notes mostly because Notes didn't sync at that time but also to get rid of the uglies. Spotlight doesn't find any of those texts.

I just checked for updates to my programs, and all are up to date. I expected that a few, at least, would have already been updated for this. Possibly, Apple is holding them back for a day or so for enough phones to get upgraded.

Just a guess.
post #136 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeypk07 View Post

Exactly... just move the one bumped app somewhere and when you exit out of the screen editing the blank page will disappear... no need to move 6 pages of apps.

Yes. I found that out too. Better than before.
post #137 of 381
Yeah I was a bit surprised. I was expecting Meebo to be released today and was anxious to buy it. Not there yet...
post #138 of 381
Smooth and fast install.

Everything seems to be working beautifully. Safari great improvement.
post #139 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post

Just doesnt seem like its worht 9.99$ for my ipod touch to give me what? Landskape keyboard, copy and paste, and a better calander....

Stereo Bluetooth (if you want that) is worth it to a lot of people and playing games against others via bluetooth is nice is you travel with friends/family often...
post #140 of 381
Who makes the best stereo bluetooth headset? Anybody?
post #141 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmsway View Post

I'm at work and cannot update til this evening. Can someone please post the "Snappiness" factor of 3.0

slower
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
post #142 of 381
OMG my camera is SO much faster now on my 2G... God this makes it worth it.

And being able to quick-launch it by double-tapping home... SWEET!
post #143 of 381
When typing an e-mail, if you are starting a new line (with the capitalization automatically on for the next word) the screen will not allow you to edit your prose. The magnifying glass refuses to open and only Cut/Copy/Paste will work with taps. You must complete a word first before editing is again allowed.
post #144 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post

Just doesnt seem like its worht 9.99$ for my ipod touch to give me what? Landskape keyboard, copy and paste, and a better calander....

Don't buy it.

I don't think Apple will lose any sleep.
post #145 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by csimmons View Post

Yeah, because those 2 or 3 cups of Starbucks coffee for the same price is a much better deal...

Certainly is! Now im craving!
post #146 of 381
The download went successfully for my iPhone 3G with latest 2.2.1 but after it extracts and iTunes goes into "backup" mode...it just hangs.... I let it run for over 30 minutes but nothing happens. I had to force quit iTunes and re-booted the iPhone.... but the same thing happens. Any ideas on getting the iPhone and iTunes to sync properly?
post #147 of 381
After download and a backup, I got 3.0 up and running on my 16GB 3G in just over 10 minutes. I wouldn't call the new OS "snappy", but Spotlight and Cut/Paste definitely work as advertised and are well worth the upgrade.

Unfortunately, iTunes is now crashing on me when I try to Sync. Anyone else getting an error related to iTunes Store (-4) error? I imagine Apple HQ is currently melting given all the upgrades and iTunes Store hits - but still, I would have hoped for a more descriptive error message...
post #148 of 381
As 3.0 is now live, anyone know when the Tomtom sat nav will be released ?
post #149 of 381
I've been using the 3.0 software, and the MMS and Internet Tethering is amazing.
US, you don't know what you're missing :-)
As a fact, I am posting this reply on my Mac, which is tethered to my iPhone xD. And it is so fast, even on EDGE :-D
post #150 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Who makes the best stereo bluetooth headet? Anybody?

Who are they?
post #151 of 381
Quote:

10 minutes for me on a 16GB iPhone, (after download) but the download is dependant on your connection of course.

Edit: Done! (woo-hoo etc.)

My battery life on my 3G is worse.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #152 of 381
Download took slightly longer probably due to the load on servers.

Update went flawlessly on 2g (Generation 1) iPhone. The update process seemed to take less overall time once the download completed compared to last year's 2.0 update.

The apps seem to open initially a bit faster and transitions between applications seem very slightly faster. The integration of contacts and calendars between local computer contacts/calendars and Exchange contacts (and GAL)/calendars is a welcome addition. I now have local calendar from iCal, Google public calendar, as well as work Exchange calendars integrated in one view in the calendar application. The Copy/Paste, Voice Memos, Youtube account access, Notes sync all seem to work well.

The only observation that may be negative thus far is that the iTunes Backup seems to take longer although not as long as it took several firmware versions ago when it was excruciatingly slow.

Overall, I think Apple has done a superb job on this major release. Now on to test all my 3rd party applications.

As an update, I am having issues with Sync Notes.
post #153 of 381
Has anyone updated their iPod touch 2nd gen yet? I'm wondering if it comes with all the extra software as the iPhone like the compass (which I doubt works) or the recorder app...

I wish users we able to update right from their devices. I have to wait another 4 hours before I can get home to plug it into iTunes.
post #154 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by IYFCalvin View Post

The download went successfully for my iPhone 3G with latest 2.2.1 but after it extracts and iTunes goes into "backup" mode...it just hangs.... I let it run for over 30 minutes but nothing happens. I had to force quit iTunes and re-booted the iPhone.... but the same thing happens. Any ideas on getting the iPhone and iTunes to sync properly?

It took over 55 minutes for the entire process for me. Perhaps you just didn't give it enough time.
post #155 of 381
I'm surprised to not see other people unable to come out of emergency only mode. Any tips on how to get it to activate after the update?
post #156 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I'm surprised to not see other people unable to come out of emergency only mode. Any tips on how to get it to activate after the update?

I had to restart my phone in order for it to activate.

Also, it took a few tries to get iTunes to connect to the iTunes Store before my iPhone would fully appear in iTunes and show whats on my iPhone.

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5
120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #157 of 381
Just downloaded 3.0 on my 16GB iPhone here in the UK. MMS works alright and the other features are as expected.

But does anyone feel as though their iPhone has got significantly slower?

My phone takes longer to start up, the apps store takes at least 1 minute to show any icons and apps generally take longer to open.

Anyone having this problem?
post #158 of 381
If anyone is having issues downloading the update or just wants to download it manually (not through iTunes) click the link below. You will have to take the .zip off it (DO NOT expand the zip file!) and then launch iTunes and hold down the option key while clicking check for update and it will pop a sheet down asking where the file is. Just point finder to the file.

http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....1_Restore.ipsw

post #159 of 381
Went into iTunes to activate the Notes sync, checked the box, clicked on the Apply button, and the checked box became unchecked. Also told it to sync my address book contacts. Taking frigging FOREVER to back up my iPhone!!! Also tried the Find my Mac feature (the Mac Observer has a step-by-step on how to configure everything). Logged into MobileMe from my Mac, clicked on the Accounts button, and it sat there trying to load and finally gave up. Tried it several times - server must be overloaded. Also tried copying text from Safari (on my iPhone) into the Notes application - no go, although it worked for a new email. Should be interesting playing around with 3.0 to see what works and what doesn't.
post #160 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I had to restart my phone in order for it to activate.

No dice, still telling me to check my network connection. Maybe I'll reboot...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone Software 3.0