or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone Software 3.0

Apple releases iPhone Software 3.0 - Page 5

post #161 of 381
I have several family members with 1st Gen iPhone and some with 3G. Not all have high speed internet. Anyone have a link to download the 3.0 software without going through iTunes?
post #162 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwatson_2003 View Post

Just downloaded 3.0 on my 16GB iPhone here in the UK. MMS works alright and the other features are as expected.

But does anyone feel as though their iPhone has got significantly slower?

My phone takes longer to start up, the apps store takes at least 1 minute to show any icons and apps generally take longer to open.

Anyone having this problem?

So far, everything seems a bit faster.
post #163 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

A festering annoyance in the UI is the inability to quickly arrange apps via iTunes instead of on the phone/touch. It's a bleedin' chore!

AMEN!

have you emailed this feedback to apple?
post #164 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmac View Post

I have several family members with 1st Gen iPhone and some with 3G. Not all have high speed internet. Anyone have a link to download the 3.0 software without going through iTunes?

http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....1_Restore.ipsw

See my post above for the directions on how to update through iTunes when the file was downloaded manually.

POST 155

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #165 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It took over 55 minutes for the entire process for me. Perhaps you just didn't give it enough time.

Thank you... I guess 30 minutes wasn't enough... I rebooted everything, then plugged back in for the intall process and it finally did it after some 20 mins or so.
It was just weird because during the "backup" process, the progress bar just hung in the middle and didn't move for 30 mins. I thought it had frozen
post #166 of 381
i've just installed the 3.0 software and my iphone rebooted, it shows the picture asking me to connect it to itunes....but nothing happens in itunes, except it show the message of "iTune store error".....and my phone just freeze on the "connecting itune" screen...
post #167 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by ho_ching View Post

i've just installed the 3.0 software and my iphone rebooted, it shows the picture asking me to connect it to itunes....but nothing happens in itunes, except it show the message of "iTune store error".....and my phone just freeze on the "connecting itune" screen...

You need to keep trying to connect to the iTunes Store. It took me about 6-7 times and I kept getting the same error. Eventually it worked! With everyone and their brother trying to update/activate at once its putting a strain on the servers.

post #168 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

You need to keep trying to connect to the iTunes Store. It took me about 6-7 times and I kept getting the same error. Eventually it worked! With everyone and their brother trying to update/activate at once its putting a strain on the servers.

Yep. Rebooting didn't help either. So I'm going to keep hammering at it and hope! I've gotten the error probably 20 times now, I'm on FIOS so it's not internet speed either.
post #169 of 381
I've gotten iTunes to successfully download the 3.0 upgrade. But when I ask it to Update my iPhone (1G), I get an error message after extraction saying the "iPhone cannot be updated at this time because the iPhone activation server is temporarily unavailable."

It says to try again later. I've been trying for the last 20 minutes.

Anyone else seeing this?
post #170 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj
I'm surprised to not see other people unable to come out of emergency only mode. Any tips on how to get it to activate after the update?

I have same problem and "We could not complete your iTunes Store request An unknown error occurred (-9807)" message from iTunes. I restarted my iphone and computer but still have same problem. Anyone knows how to fix this problem?
post #171 of 381
YUP, getting the exact same error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pairof9s View Post

I've gotten iTunes to successfully download the 3.0 upgrade. But when I ask it to Update my iPhone (1G), I get an error message after extraction saying the "iPhone cannot be updated at this time because the iPhone activation server is temporarily unavailable."

It says to try again later. I've been trying for the last 20 minutes.

Anyone else seeing this?
post #172 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xao View Post

YUP, getting the exact same error.

Getting the exact same thing here. 1G iPhone.
post #173 of 381
Anyone else notice how there are Palm Pre ads all over everything that says iPhone on it today?
post #174 of 381
Quote:
"iPhone activation server is temporarily unavailable."

And me...
post #175 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

If anyone is having issues downloading the update or just wants to download it manually (not through iTunes) click the link below. You will have to take the .zip off it (DO NOT expand the zip file!) and then launch iTunes and hold down the option key while clicking check for update and it will pop a sheet down asking where the file is. Just point finder to the file.

http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....1_Restore.ipsw

Where can I get a similar link for the iPhone 3G?

I am stuck on beta 5 and don't have the GM version, so it still won't upgrade me since I technically have OS 3.0.

Thanks
You can call me Five.
You can call me Five.
post #176 of 381
Quote:

same problem here.
post #177 of 381
Well I got through the whole download. It took about 15 minutes. My iPhone was automatically restarted and I got the "Network Connection Timed Out" and now I can only make emergency calls from my phone now. Anyone else having this issue? i am not receiving calls either. Do I have to go up to the AT&T store and re-activate it once I get the new OS downloaded?
post #178 of 381
OK, well my first sync with iTunes finally finished (like I said, the backup took forever). The notes on my iPhone did not sync with the notes in Apple's Mail app, so I tried it again. I checked the Notes checkbox in iTunes and hit Apply, and it spun the beachball for a few seconds and then the Notes item unchecked itself, the iPhone synced, and still no updated Notes. Can anyone see if they can get this to work?
post #179 of 381
The download started at 1:16 CDT & ended at 1:20 CDT. The software works as as advertised but 3 attempts to access the Store on my phone resulted in 3 error messages (shows "Error -4). Will try again later.
post #180 of 381
The iPhone activation server is temporarily unavailable. I guess I'll have to get it when I get home from work! Blast!
post #181 of 381
The 3.0 update has killed my iPhone. It's a brick now. iTunes store error or says "iTunes cannot connect with this iPhone" or something similar.

How many other bricks out there already? Twitter is hopping about it at the moment.
-----------------
Aluminum MacBook; Black MacBook; Mac mini; 2 x iPhone 3G; Time Capsule, iPod Touch and a few other iPods kicking around.
-----------------
Aluminum MacBook; Black MacBook; Mac mini; 2 x iPhone 3G; Time Capsule, iPod Touch and a few other iPods kicking around.
post #182 of 381
The update was successful after encountering some of the problems mentioned in earlier posts. I just kept syncing and it eventually worked. The problem is that only Apple apps show up, as well as Bento for iPhone. I did select all other apps in iTunes but they will not sync. Anyone with the same problem? Is this because my apps are not 3.0 compatible?
post #183 of 381
Updated both my iPhone 3G and my iPod Touch without any problems.

Great update; now I'm just waiting for my new 3GS!

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #184 of 381
These issues happened to me last year... it's the mad rush with everyone updating, if I recall this also happens around Christmas too with the iTunes store.
post #185 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Who are they?

You mean: what are they?
post #186 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by jto654 View Post

Anyone else notice how there are Palm Pre ads all over everything that says iPhone on it today?

I have adblock for safari installed...
(http://burgersoftware.com/en/safariadblock)
(http://safariadblock.sourceforge.net)
post #187 of 381
Downloaded the software, installed and just as the iPhone was rebooting i got an error message. Everytime i try to complete the update iTunes is trying to connect to the Store and then telling me the network was reset and to check my connection and try again. I did this 10 times now to no avail.

Plugged it into my other Macbook but it can't connect to the iPhone because its locked with a password. So now my iPhone is stuck with in multi-language mode, No Service, Locked and useless. Cheers Apple!!

Hopefully it's the server on overload and will complete later.
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
post #188 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by VertiGoGo View Post

The 3.0 update has killed my iPhone. It's a brick now. iTunes store error or says "iTunes cannot connect with this iPhone" or something similar.

How many other bricks out there already? Twitter is hopping about it at the moment.

It's most likely not bricked...just keep physically re-connecting your iPhone until things work. It looks like it's taking most people 5-10 tries.
post #189 of 381
Great, now I get to wait for the activation servers to come back up. Wasn't this the same problem the last time?
post #190 of 381
Although I d/l the 3.0 update well enough, I can't update currently due to the iPhone activation server being down or overloaded. I've been trying for over 30 minutes on just this one step.

That stated, and after reading some of these initial posts, I'm going to wait until I get home this evening. I'm going to review further posts and see if 3.0 is turning out to be more trouble than it's worth (frozen phones, flaky iTunes, long backups, missing applications, feature bugs, etc.)

/
post #191 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

The iPhone activation server is temporarily unavailable. I guess I'll have to get it when I get home from work! Blast!

The same is happening to me in Barcelona. I've been trying since 1 hour ago and the message keeps the same for two different iPhone 3G.

Still trying...
post #192 of 381
I have just updated my iPhone (8GB original) to v3.0. All seemed to go well until the iPhone restarted, connected to iTunes and then I get an iTunes error message that says:

We could not complete your iTunes Store request. An Unknown error occurred (-4)
There was an error in the iTunes store. Please try again later.

I can manually connect to the iTunes store but when I connect the iPhone, I get the above error. Thus, it is not activating my service. The phone was stuck on the initial 'plug the usb cable into iTunes' screen.

Finally, after about 30 minutes of trying (turning the phone off, exiting iTunes, again and again) it finally connected to the iTunes store and it appears that I have my phone back.
post #193 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmac View Post

It's linked in a number of places in this entirely-too-huge thread...just do a search in the forum for "appldnld" (the first part of the web address for the link) and you should find it.
post #194 of 381
Activation server temporarily unavailable.
post #195 of 381
Quote:

I had the same problem... took several re-connects 'till it finally right. The error message is very non-descript:

"We could not complete your iTunes Store request. An unknown error occurred (-4). There was an error in the iTunes Store. Please try again later."

I was on hold with Apple Support when it finally worked & activated.
post #196 of 381
Did exactly the same to me but is ok now. The server is just overloaded. Leave it a while try again and it'll eventually sync up.
post #197 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Who makes the best stereo bluetooth headset? Anybody?

I recommend the Oakley Rokr Pro sunglasses
handles phone calls and music at the same time.
it is great for running biking and looking cool
i get several hours of continuous music play on a single charge
now that the iphone has stereo bluetooth i won't have to attach the silly thing in the bottom of the phone to transmit the music
About time!http://forums.appleinsider.com/image...s/1biggrin.gif

and you can change the lenses
post #198 of 381
HEY YOU GUYS!!!

APPLES SERVERS ARE BORKED BY THE DEMAND!!!! IT SUCKS BUT YOUR PHONES AREN'T "BRICKED" AND THE UPDATE DIDN'T BREAK ANYTHING!!!

Sorry to shout but how many people are going to come here and post the same error message and express their despair?

Either wait a while or keep reconnecting your phone. In an hour or two all will be well.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #199 of 381
Steve Jobs leaves - the whole place falls apart!
post #200 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

HEY YOU GUYS!!!

APPLES SERVERS ARE BORKED BY THE DEMAND!!!! IT SUCKS BUT YOUR PHONES AREN'T "BRICKED" AND THE UPDATE DIDN'T BREAK ANYTHING!!!

Sorry to shout but how many people are going to come here and post the same error message and express their despair?

Either wait a while or keep reconnecting your phone. In an hour or two all will be well.

The server says temporarily unavailable!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone Software 3.0