or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone Software 3.0

Apple releases iPhone Software 3.0 - Page 8

post #281 of 381
I am happy with all the new features but I don't like how you can only copy a full sms bubble rather than just a piece of text from the bubble. Does this seem limited to anyone else considering you can select parts of text in every other app?
post #282 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmedia1 View Post

where do notes get synced?

You need 10.5.7; think sync to Mail on your computer.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #283 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

So, just what features actually work on 3G iPhones? I'm finding that quite a few features aren't there and apparently will only work on 3GS phones, like voice commands. How is it that every other underpowered smartphone has voice commands, but the iPhone can't do it unless you get the latest, fastest hardware? The Google Search app offers voice recognition and everything, yet Apple left that feature off for 3G phones, in addition to video, push notifications, etc. etc.

Even the Voice Memos app from Apple sucks. The Recorder app that was available last year in the App Store is a lot better.

I think Apple put a little too much hype into this release, especially for previous iPhone owners. Disappointing.

I'm pretty happy with the update. If I didn't need video for my work then I might just stay with my current 3G, but I am upgrading tomorrow, hopefully.

post #284 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmack View Post

I am happy with all the new features but I don't like how you can only copy a full sms bubble rather than just a piece of text from the bubble. Does this seem limited to anyone else considering you can select parts of text in every other app?

I see your point, but after you paste it you can then cut the section you want. Or if you start the SMS forward you can then cut as you wish. Not ideal, but at the workaround is quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

You need 10.5.7; think sync to Mail on your computer.

Yes it does. Voice Notes are a bit trickier. They are saved to your music section of iTunes with a date/time stamp as the file name. A new playlist will be automatically created for the memos. They are also in ALAC with no option to adjust codec, and by extension the bitrate, on the device.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #285 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I see your point, but after you paste it you can then cut the section you want. Or if you start the SMS forward you can then cut as you wish. Not ideal, but at the workaround is quick.

Yeah, that is a workaround. I was copying into a Note, selecting the bit I wanted, then pasting it into Safari.

I noticed this limitation because my SIM does not support MMS (work SIM) so I needed to get the details out of the SMS and into Safari.
post #286 of 381
Quote:

So, just what features actually work on 3G iPhones? I'm finding that quite a few features aren't there and apparently will only work on 3GS phones, like voice commands. How is it that every other underpowered smartphone has voice commands, but the iPhone can't do it unless you get the latest, fastest hardware? The Google Search app offers voice recognition and everything, yet Apple left that feature off for 3G phones, in addition to video, push notifications, etc. etc.

Even the Voice Memos app from Apple sucks. The Recorder app that was available last year in the App Store is a lot better.

I think Apple put a little too much hype into this release, especially for previous iPhone owners. Disappointing.

1) What is it about Voice Memos thy you find inferior? I've used some of the App Store options and I've been using Apple's app for 3 mints now. I find it superior in every way. From the works, to te audio quality to syncing.

2) I have no idea what the Google app's voice commands and underpowered cellphones have to do with the 3GS apparantly not have the HW to allow for a physcial button voice control operation. If you are implying that Apple is holding back features to push 3GS sales, then you have to ask yourself: Why release any new apps, features or even a new OS to phones going ino their 3rd year?
post #287 of 381
Quote:

Apple is so stupid! I'm sure what's going to be the news about this iPhone 3.0 release is that no one could activate or use their phones because Apple's servers went into meltdown. Apple hasn't done a single iPhone release yet without activation problems. When will they learn??

Every day I drive into the downtown. If I leave at 6:30 am, I beat the rushhour and it only takes me 20 minutes to cover the 15 miles. If I wait till 9:00 am, it takes me a little longer, i.e., 36 minutes, but I am late for work.

If I decide to wait thirty minutes in the morning and leave at 7:00 am, I am in the middle of rushhour and it takes me an hour and a half to cover the same distance.

Now I obvious have a few choices. One of them is swearing at the guy in front of me for not going fast enough. But one of them is not whining and demanding that my local government build more roads to cover the busiest times of day so I don't have to leave so early in the morning.

But them, it is as some have declared a 'right' that one should be able to get anything they want just by asking for it. Just like any spoiled brat cries when somebody takes his toys.

Apples servers didn't go into meltdown. Whiners did. Too bad we just can't put them in the middle of the road that I drive on every morning.
post #288 of 381
I have a question please I need help!
Since no one is responding to my thread I'm gonna ask it here.

I have the ipod touch G2 and I wanted to know if I would be able to use OS 3.0's voice control feature. Could I?
I have a new bluetooth headphones I want to try out with it with the newly activated bluetooth on the ipod touch G2 and I would also like to use the mic built into the headset. It would be so cool if I could use it to voice activate playlists and such.

Well, so far since after updating the ipod touch with 3.0 software I don't see the voice control app. So I guess not then?

But why do I see an icon for voice memos? What would be the point then of having that app at all?

Help?
post #289 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Who makes the best stereo bluetooth headset? Anybody?

There are a few to check out for the new gen bluetooth headsets.

jaybirdgear is one.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...nes-review.php

Also, check out the sony ericsson hbh-si800 Its brand new, only 4 hours of talk/standby, and yes a bit pricey, but its the size of regular earbuds...smallest on the market. I just had to try it. Bought it today.

http://reviews.cnet.com/headsets/son...-33528991.html

The sony one I got for myself despite the lowish battery time because its perfect for me for jogging/running and for an hour commute to and from work. Plus I got an extra charger so I can charge it at work.

Strangely enough, I also have the jaybird one. I like it and it has more talk/music time but I think the wire that acts as an antenna almost is sorta bit touchy imo.

Sony also makes another one that u can plug any earbuds into and is the size of two AA batteries stacked on top of each other. So you would plug any headphones u got into the unit and the unit then receives a signal from your bluetooth enabled player. 7 to 8 hours of battery time for that one. Go on sonystyle.com to find it.

Anyways, you got options. Go try one of em.
post #290 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

I have the ipod touch G2 and I wanted to know if I would be able to use OS 3.0's voice control feature.

1) Voice Control is an iPhone 3GS feature, not a 3.0 feature. It outlines what is included in 3.0 on the apple site.

Quote:
What would be the point then of having that app at all?

2) To quickly record memos et cetera, then either MMS the recordings, or sync to the iTunes playlist, as stated above.
post #291 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Every day I drive into the downtown. If I leave at 6:30 am, I beat the rushhour and it only takes me 20 minutes to cover the 15 miles. If I wait till 9:00 am, it takes me a little longer, i.e., 36 minutes, but I am late for work.

If I decide to wait thirty minutes in the morning and leave at 7:00 am, I am in the middle of rushhour and it takes me an hour and a half to cover the same distance.

Now I obvious have a few choices. One of them is swearing at the guy in front of me for not going fast enough. But one of them is not whining and demanding that my local government build more roads to cover the busiest times of day so I don't have to leave so early in the morning.

But them, it is as some have declared a 'right' that one should be able to get anything they want just by asking for it. Just like any spoiled brat cries when somebody takes his toys.

Apples servers didn't go into meltdown. Whiners did. Too bad we just can't put them in the middle of the road that I drive on every morning.

Do you ever run out of stupid, frk'n excuses for anything Apple doesn't do right?
post #292 of 381
Quote:

There are a few to check out for the new gen bluetooth headsets.

jaybirdgear is one.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...nes-review.php

Also, check out the sony ericsson hbh-si800 Its brand new, only 4 hours of talk/standby, and yes a bit pricey, but its the size of regular earbuds...smallest on the market. I just had to try it. Bought it today.

http://reviews.cnet.com/headsets/son...-33528991.html

The sony one I got for myself despite the lowish battery time because its perfect for me for jogging/running and for an hour commute to and from work. Plus I got an extra charger so I can charge it at work.

Strangely enough, I also have the jaybird one. I like it and it has more talk/music time but I think the wire that acts as an antenna almost is sorta bit touchy imo.

Sony also makes another one that u can plug any earbuds into and is the size of two AA batteries stacked on top of each other. So you would plug any headphones u got into the unit and the unit then receives a signal from your bluetooth enabled player. 7 to 8 hours of battery time for that one. Go on sonystyle.com to find it.

Anyways, you got options. Go try one of em.

Thanks much. I will go into the Sony Style store tomorrow and check out what they have.
The one you have looks like there is still a small cord?
post #293 of 381
Quote:

I have a question please I need help!
Since no one is responding to my thread I'm gonna ask it here.

I have the ipod touch G2 and I wanted to know if I would be able to use OS 3.0's voice control feature. Could I?
I have a new bluetooth headphones I want to try out with it with the newly activated bluetooth on the ipod touch G2 and I would also like to use the mic built into the headset. It would be so cool if I could use it to voice activate playlists and such.

Well, so far since after updating the ipod touch with 3.0 software I don't see the voice control app. So I guess not then?

But why do I see an icon for voice memos? What would be the point then of having that app at all?

Help?

It must work and record, provided you have the special headphone w mic attached. I pushed that App all the way to the last page on my Touch- doubt I'll ever use it. I realy only wanted the bluetooth for headphones but now have to find a good pair. Other than that this $10 upgrade purchase is rather lame.
post #294 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by akoeltz View Post

Video record is a hardware limitation, not software......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It's based on hardware, therefore the 3G S.

Interesting.... as there are several video recorders working on jailbroken 3G phones..
post #295 of 381
Quote:

Do you ever run out of stupid, frk'n excuses for anything Apple doesn't do right?

In your opinion what did apple do wrong????? They didn't promise that everybody would have the software updated right after they made it available, right? They made it available. Nothing stopping people waiting till tomorrow. It was pretty obvious there'd be millions of kids trying to download and activate right after its release.
post #296 of 381
Quote:

Apple isn't the only company that has these issues.

It's a question of a few hours mess for some, vs a few hundred million $ of capacity. Which do you think companies will choose?

By tomorrow, these problems will have gone away.

Meanwhile, many of us have upgraded without problems, and have been using our phones since the early afternoon.
post #297 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardhowson View Post

Interesting.... as there are several video recorders working on jailbroken 3G phones..

Yes, very badly, as has been shown many times.
post #298 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Yes, very badly, as has been shown many times.

They are horrid. The reviews suggest the video on the 3GS is actually pretty good. Hopefully I'll be able to find out tomorrow!

post #299 of 381
So where's this iDisk app we've been hearing about?
post #300 of 381
Quote:

it's clearly marked on the apple website as "coming soon" -

http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-3...-features.html
post #301 of 381
Quote:

Maybe in a future update. I see no physcial reason why all the iPhones can’t get this.
post #302 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidT View Post

In your opinion what did apple do wrong????? They didn't promise that everybody would have the software updated right after they made it available, right? They made it available. Nothing stopping people waiting till tomorrow. It was pretty obvious there'd be millions of kids trying to download and activate right after its release.

Dude this is 2009! Apple doesn't have the server power to release software?
I guess that's why they need a North Carolina server farm. But really - your fanboi excuses are inexcusable.
post #303 of 381
Quote:

I guess that's why they need a North Carolina server farm. But really - your fanboi excuses are inexcusable.

Remember last year when Apple opened a contract with a second provider in addition to Akami? They clearly know they need the bandwidth. They don't use their own servers, like most companies, they use companies that provide the service.
post #304 of 381
Quote:

Remember last year when Apple opened a contract with a second provider in addition to Akami? They clearly know they need the bandwidth. They don't use their own servers, like most companies, they use companies that provide the service.

lol, with someone on my ignore list I missed all the fun.

I wonder how Apple prepared for this release. My guess is they contacted akamai (or whomever they now have contracts with) and gave an estimate of how many users would want to download and what kind of bandwidth would be needed. They may have negotiated a separate deal for this release or it could be part of an existing contract.

So when the contracted servers go down, what's apple to do? At this point we don't know if Apple's estimates were incorrect, if akamai simply broke under the load, or if Apple considers momentary outages under extreme load to be the optimal tradeoff of expense vs quality of service.
post #305 of 381
Quote:

not excusing anybody, just surprised to see so many complainers who want their software hours after it's released.
wait a few days and updating will be no problem.
i doubt apple cares whether you update your software right away, why would they?
and what's 2009 got to do with anything? people weren't downloading updates for mobile phones 50 years ago, so what are you comparing to?
post #306 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

I wonder how Apple prepared for this release. My guess is they contacted akamai (or whomever they now have contracts with) and gave an estimate of how many users would want to download and what kind of bandwidth would be needed. They may have negotiated a separate deal for this release or it could be part of an existing contract.

So when the contracted servers go down, what's apple to do? At this point we don't know if Apple's estimates were incorrect, if akamai simply broke under the load, or if Apple considers momentary outages under extreme load to be the optimal tradeoff of expense vs quality of service.

At some point the cost to get more servers up on separate networks for such a short timeframe of need becomes a non-viable option. It may be that their contracted companies have done a perfect job for the amount of bandwidth and CPU cycles that theyve had to deal with today. Im going to theorize that Akamai probably wasnt allowing employees take vacation this week. \
post #307 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

1) Voice Control is an iPhone 3GS feature, not a 3.0 feature. It outlines what is included in 3.0 on the apple site.

2) To quickly record memos et cetera, then either MMS the recordings, or sync to the iTunes playlist, as stated above.

Yeah.........but on an ipod touch that doesn't have a mic? I guess they expect you to buy an external mic for the ipod touch?

Anyways, I agree with the others who say that voice control should be on the iphone 3G (as well as a ipod touch g2 with a mic).

Gawd, that means voice control may be supported with the ipod touch G3.......if you buy a mic.

A lot of ifs.

*sigh*
post #308 of 381
Quote:

Apple isn't the only company that has these issues.

It's a question of a few hours mess for some, vs a few hundred million $ of capacity. Which do you think companies will choose?

By tomorrow, these problems will have gone away.

Meanwhile, many of us have upgraded without problems, and have been using our phones since the early afternoon.

I downloaded and installed 3.0 right after the Update became available without any trouble. Then I went out for the afternoon, and have been enjoying my "new snappiness" ever since!

I'm just getting home and am surprised to learn that people have been having difficulties. Too bad. I knew downloads would be high, but after last year's iPocalypse I didn't think there'd be any server bottlenecks. Hopefully the problem(s) will be cleared up by tomorrow (if it isn't already).

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

post #309 of 381
Don't think I saw this in the discussion, but after a smooth upgrade that took about 30 minutes, I noticed that my APN settings were blank and my contacts were gone.

I've entered the APN settings again, but having problems re-syncing my contacts to my 16GB iPhone. I've switched the me.com syncing for contacts off then back on to see if that would fix it, but didn't.

Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it?
post #310 of 381
It still doesn't search the entire address book entry - I have keywords in the notes section that I use often in address book to find people, but the search feature still doesn't look in that field (and possibly other fields). Still a big improvement since now at least it searches the company field.
post #311 of 381
Quote:

Thanks much. I will go into the Sony Style store tomorrow and check out what they have.
The one you have looks like there is still a small cord?

Yeah. But the cord is very short. It connects the buds together and is connected to the on/off/pairing button.

I'm holding it right now.....gawd their small. But strangely larger than regular earbuds. 8 hour initial charge then 2.5 hours to charge it thereafter. I will have to wait till tomorrow morning to try em out.
post #312 of 381
Quote:

Yeah.........but on an ipod touch that doesn't have a mic? I guess they expect you to buy an external mic for the ipod touch?

Anyways, I agree with the others who say that voice control should be on the iphone 3G (as well as a ipod touch g2 with a mic).

Gawd, that means voice control may be supported with the ipod touch G3.......if you buy a mic.

A lot of ifs.

*sigh*

As it has been stated, the iPhone 3GS uses the Home Button for Voice Control, not a virtual button as that would pretty much defeat the purpose of the feature if you had to access the device and then locate an app to use it.

The iPod Touch doesnt currently have a mic but the G2 has the same line-in/out jack as the iPhone that allows for the mic, headphones and controls for voice notes or whatever. Its conceivable that the next Touch will get a mic, too.
post #313 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidT View Post

not excusing anybody, just surprised to see so many complainers who want their software hours after it's released.
wait a few days and updating will be no problem.
i doubt apple cares whether you update your software right away, why would they?
and what's 2009 got to do with anything? people weren't downloading updates for mobile phones 50 years ago, so what are you comparing to?

I'm not comparing to anything. But at this point in 2009 Apple surely should be able to gauge the number of updates that would hit today. They look second rate when they crash- for god's sake they are a computer company! Apple got bad press today they probably would not have preferred. It makes them look extremely amateur.- reminiscent of the MobileMe fiasco.
post #314 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The iPod Touch doesn’t currently have a mic but the G2 has the same line-in/out jack as the iPhone that allows for the mic, headphones and controls for voice notes or whatever. It’s conceivable that the next Touch will get a mic, too.

Highly unlikely. A camera will be the new feature for the next Touch. Any mic would cut into iPhone sales as it would become an extremely easy Skype tool. Apple never, ever gives you everything that you think you should have. You of all people should know that by now.
post #315 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

lol, with someone on my ignore list I missed all the fun.

I don't know how that works. It's possible they just get billed for whatever bandwidth they use.

But Google has, by far, the largest network of servers, and even they get bogged down at times.
post #316 of 381
Quote:

A lot of ifs.

*sigh*

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

If it requires the faster processor and the additional vector operators, then it's pretty clear that the current models don't have the ability to do this correctly. Google manages to do some, but it's very simple. This is much more complex.
post #317 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone View Post

Don't think I saw this in the discussion, but after a smooth upgrade that took about 30 minutes, I noticed that my APN settings were blank and my contacts were gone.

I've entered the APN settings again, but having problems re-syncing my contacts to my 16GB iPhone. I've switched the me.com syncing for contacts off then back on to see if that would fix it, but didn't.

Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it?

No problems at all.

I wonder why some people seem to have problems when upgrades of some kind are installed, but most don't. This is true for computers as well.

There must be something specific to your phone and computer that is causing this. I wish I knew what.
post #318 of 381
I purchased, downloaded and installed the 3.0 software for iPod Touch and it went without a hitch.

I think it's a great buy! Apple added the enhanced stocks app and YouTube login to the iPod Touch 3.0 software, even though they don't mention it on the website. (http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/softwareupdate.html). I'm not sure if they added the ability to download TV shows and Movies like with the new software on the iPhone.
post #319 of 381
Anybody test out whether Netshare works with 3.0?
LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
post #320 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by estyle View Post

there are some new icons and information in the recent calls screen

also the unknown calls are giving geographic information

got a unknown call and it said Virginia (as in the state)

I really like the updates to recent calls:
  • inbound vs. outbound
  • location of the number (if not in contacts)
  • what number (main, mobile, home)
  • duration of call

I've been waiting for this for a while!

13" MBP 2.53GHz C2D, 21.5" Alu iMac 3.06GHz C2D, 24" Alu iMac 2.8GHz C2D, 15" MBP 2.2GHz i7 (work)
AppleTV: 320GB, 2; TC 500GB; iPad 32GB; iPhone: 3G 8GB, 4 32GB; iPod: 30GB 5G, 80GB Classic, 2GB...

13" MBP 2.53GHz C2D, 21.5" Alu iMac 3.06GHz C2D, 24" Alu iMac 2.8GHz C2D, 15" MBP 2.2GHz i7 (work)
AppleTV: 320GB, 2; TC 500GB; iPad 32GB; iPhone: 3G 8GB, 4 32GB; iPod: 30GB 5G, 80GB Classic, 2GB...

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone Software 3.0