or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone Software 3.0

Apple releases iPhone Software 3.0 - Page 3

post #81 of 381
Can someone check the build version number for me? I'm not sure if I need to update from the 3.0 GM seed to the 'release' version.

In iTunes, if you click the words "Software Version" with your iPhone highlighted, it should switch to the Build Version. Mine is showing build 7A341.

Thanks
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
post #82 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus. View Post

where's the mouse in the cat & mouse game? :P

Found the mouse (next to my keyboard), now where is that frikkin' cat?
post #83 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Can someone check the build version number for me? I'm not sure if I need to update from the 3.0 GM seed to the 'release' version.

In iTunes, if you click the words "Software Version" with your iPhone highlighted, it should switch to the Build Version. Mine is showing build 7A341.

Thanks

YES. 7A341

Don't bother
post #84 of 381
Numeric battery!!!
post #85 of 381
From a cnet article ...

Quote:
When we first tested the beta version of iPhone OS 3.0, we were able to compose, but not send, a multimedia message in a few quick steps on our iPhone 3G. In subsequent OS 3.0 updates, Apple removed the process for doing this; presumably you'll get it back when MMS goes live.

So that could be part of the delay as well, they simple too MMS out of the download so people couldn't hack it i'm assuming.
post #86 of 381
Plugged iPhone into Mac at 18:05 hrs. iTunes started automatically, but iPhone did not synch. Manually downloaded software. Started downloading software at 18:06 hrs. It took five minutes to download 230.1mb file.
Install then started. Install was then verified followed by a firmware update.

After firmware update message box appeared on iTunes saying "Leave phone alone" whilst phone rebooted. Did this. iTunes picked up that phone was there but came up with error message " Could not connect to this iPhone because an unknown error occurred".

iPhone rebooted itself and started okay this time. This time my phone has changed language and is now in Japanese!

Update process took 24 minutes (even if my phone now thinks we live in Japan)

Hval
post #87 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekopome View Post

I just found out that you can disable the Find My iPhone feature without using a password.. Whats that about.. A thief could just switch that feature off the moment he got the phone.

I noticed this, too. I mentioned last week in the Find My iPhone article on AI, but no one seemed to care. I think it's a major flaw. Also, if don't have Push on and you have the get mail duration set to manual your iPhone will not show up on the me.com site.

If you send a remote wipe you can cancel it by holding down the Home and Sleep buttons to turn if off. I did that with no data loss. The iPhone 3GS is a little better here as the HW encryption should make the wipe instant, but if what I mentioned earlier gets turned off then the wipe will never get to the device, despite the ability to grab mail from MobileMe manually.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #88 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocolts18 View Post

7a312

The correct build is 7A341.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
post #89 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Anyone feeling post-update depression yet?

Seriously, after all the hype, except for the (boring) voice memo app and Spotlight there is essentially no difference on the surface between 2.2.1 and 3.0. I knew this beforehand of course, but one can't help but feel a bit of a letdown when the reality of the very minor changes hits home.

One note:

The update doesn't activate the Apple in-ear headphones as some had expected. I know that Apple carefully never said these headphones would work with the iPhone, but I know a lot were expecting they would after the update.

They don't.

There are major upgrades. Just because you wanted to SEE a new look, which as you said, you knew wouldn't happen, doesn't make the upgrade any less significant.

If the expectation was that the headphones wouldn't work, and they don't, what are you disappointed about?
post #90 of 381
Is there shake to shuffle for the ipod touch as well or is it only for the iphone? Just curious before I update it later today.
post #91 of 381
Download and install went fine. I decided before I started playing around though, I should sync and back up first. It's been backing up for about 15 minutes now and still has about 20% left to go. I'm hoping it's because it's backing up the entirely new OS.

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

post #92 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post

Just doesnt seem like its worht 9.99$ for my ipod touch to give me what? Landskape keyboard, copy and paste, and a better calander....

Yeah, because those 2 or 3 cups of Starbucks coffee for the same price is a much better deal...
post #93 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Thanks

The GM may expire at some point. They aren't intended for general use.
post #94 of 381
In addition there is the Spotlight search, purchasing movies, tv shows and audiobooks via the iTunes store on the phone, the stock app had an overhaul (in landscape and swiping on the graph at the bottom), Safari is supposed to run faster, stereo bluetooth, syncing your notes, shake to shuffle (kind of a cool function) in addition to what you mentioned... eventually MMS and tethering... we'll see how long that takes... oh and in-app purchases, peer-to-peer games, ability for developers to control their apps via the dock connector. A lot of stuff you don't really see on the surface I guess.

Quote:

Anyone feeling post-update depression yet?

Seriously, after all the hype, except for the (boring) voice memo app and Spotlight there is essentially no difference on the surface between 2.2.1 and 3.0. I knew this beforehand of course, but one can't help but feel a bit of a letdown when the reality of the very minor changes hits home.

One note:

The update doesn't activate the Apple in-ear headphones as some had expected. I know that Apple carefully never said these headphones would work with the iPhone, but I know a lot were expecting they would after the update.

They don't.
post #95 of 381
Can't join my Airport Express Network however.

After rebooting the Airport, I can connect now.
post #96 of 381
I just watched the engadget review with the 3.0 software. I'm impressed. I really like their copy and paste method as well as the video recording.

Seems like a decent step in the right direction.

Now the question on my mind: Upgrade to the touch pro 2 and renew my account with Sprint for another two years, or stick with my touch pro for another year and upgrade to next year's iphone. I mean, it finally has what I wanted initially.
post #97 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavlo26 View Post

Is there shake to shuffle for the ipod touch as well or is it only for the iphone? Just curious before I update it later today.

Why? Would that one feature determine if you upgrade?
post #98 of 381
i chose to "Back Up" when i started doing the update. i'm at my computer at work though, which is not where i sync my phone. it's not going to try and sync with itunes here at work right?
post #99 of 381
Yes shake to shuffle works on the touch as well.

Quote:

post #100 of 381
Quote:

Shaking changes the song in shuffle mode I presume.
post #101 of 381
Nice.

Updated. No issues.
post #102 of 381
oh, i m upgrading regardless of that, I was just wondering if that feature was there. haha.
post #103 of 381
This is sure taking its time. Bar is just now about 80% through.

I hope that's the last cycle to this.

Some people seem to have a faster experience. I wonder if everyone has had this last bar appear.
post #104 of 381
All of my apps seem to run more quickly and smoothly. The spotlight search even goes through archived mail on my synched gmail account. This is a significant update.

The only problem is that I can't find the setting menu to show battery life as a percentage rather than an icon.
post #105 of 381
Basically... it's like shuffling through your playlist randomly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashmanBurgess View Post

Shaking changes the song in shuffle mode I presume.
post #106 of 381
Has anyone tried tethering via AT&T. It's still working on the GM builds of 7a341.

Quote:

The correct build is 7A341.

That certainly sounds better.
post #107 of 381
I don't see the battery charge in %; I thought this was part of version 3.0?
post #108 of 381
My emoticans are still there!
Cubist
Cubist
post #109 of 381
I believe the battery life percentage is a 3GS feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

I don't see the battery charge in %; I thought this was part of version 3.0?
post #110 of 381
Watching the phone while this goes on is nerve-wracking...
post #111 of 381
Spotlight does not seem to search the "note" section of the Contacts address book. It's able to search all the Notes files for all words but not in Address book. Nor can it search out a phone number that's in your Contacts list. Lame. Damn it.
post #112 of 381
It finished as I walked out of the room.

Wow! It started the download about 1:11 PM. This took a long time.

Now I hope it worked!
post #113 of 381
The Notes sync wasn't working for me no matter how many times I checked the setting on and synced it, it would just turn off again. I just had to disconnect the iPod from the cable and reconnect it to iTunes and then it worked.
post #114 of 381
Copy/paste works nicely. MMS works very well, looks great.

(with Rogers in Canada.)
post #115 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbearart View Post

The Notes sync wasn't working for me no matter how many times I checked the setting on and synced it, it would just turn off again. I just had to disconnect the iPod from the cable and reconnect it to iTunes and then it worked.

Open Mail, then click on Notes from the toolbar. It should show up.
post #116 of 381
Shake to Shuffle: Give iPhone a shake and it shuffles to a different song in your music library.

Shaking your iPod-- it's not just for killing babies!
post #117 of 381
My calenders finally have the same colours on my phone and in iCal....
post #118 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

... That certainly sounds better.

I just tried "Find My iPhone" which seems to work fine but of course it can't find the phone if it's indoors (another kind of "doh!" situation which if I thought about it before hand would have been obvious also). So a word to all iPhone thieves, if you keep it at home you can probably get away with it.

Interestingly, I went outside and did a specific "find me" using the Google maps app at the same time that my computer back in my office was trying to locate the phone and it didn't help at all. So it seems like there is no communication between those two things, although I'm not sure there should be.
post #119 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

Do you know what a forum troll is?

Do you know what a Moderator is? Move along, noob.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #120 of 381
whats the final verdict on the build number?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone Software 3.0