or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple forecasted to sell a half-million iPhones 3G S's this weekend

Apple forecasted to sell a half-million iPhones 3G S's this weekend - Page 2

post #41 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I might get one, after reviews/bugs etc.

Just got to get it by my accountant wife.

If anyone reading this can post their average monthly bill (minus purchases) I would appreciate it.

thanks

for what area, US, UK etc.

how many lines

oh and this is amusing. my bf decided to get a phone but he ordered the 8gb by mistake. didn't realize it wasn't 3gs. I caught it and had him re-reserve (this was about a week ago) but the first one was still in the system.

he gets a call yesterday morning from the apple store. they left him a voice mail message advising him that due to the possibility of insane crowds over the weekend, he should probably come back 'tonight or tomorrow to complete the purchase of your 3g which is already available for the reduced $99 price. Please remember to bring your id and credit card with you. And if you are transferring a number from another service, we recommend bringing a copy of a recent bill in case there are any problems with the number porting. Thank you"

I think that was rather cool of them.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #42 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

The 3G iPhones are mostly 8GB $99 models except what few 16GB units are still in the pipeline. It's really foolish to buy less than the 32GB 3GS for only $299. Video recording will eat RAM at the rate of 2GB/hr. Photos also eat RAM for breakfast. Folks with less than 30 (net) GB iPhones will live to regret not spending the extra $100-$200 for the fattest iPhone they could have gotten. That means more 3GS sales than analysts are predicting and persistent shortages in the beginning months.

If current owners of iPhones don't realize the cost of advancing to the 32GB iPhone is almost nothing. Resale value of used out-of-contract 16 GB 3G iPhones is $400. wost case scenario cost to get 32GB 3GS is $299 + $120 early termination fee for those who bought last July and got minimum plan @ about $78 in USA. So the move will cost $20 at most.

THE 99 dollar 3g addresses the crowd who don't need or have use for many of the new 3gs capabiltie's. ADD that to a cheap data plan and its a very large market that has now opened for apple.

The 3g phone is still in production and probaly will be sold in china and india . All of this bodes well for apple and the apple market place .

PS of note to all those who don't yet qualify for the upgrade and are pissed about the 200 dollar charge. Well its only 34 cents a day extra for the 32g 3gs phone. Go sell your 3g phone on ebay/craigs list and fork over the extra $200 <32cts a day over life of the contract> fee to get a fantastic phone RIGHT now !!!! REAd today's NYT review, It is very accurate and may suck you right in.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/18/te...ref=technology

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #43 of 91
Quote:

I might get one, after reviews/bugs etc.

Just got to get it by my accountant wife.

If anyone reading this can post their average monthly bill (minus purchases) I would appreciate it.

thanks

read this my friend

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #44 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

The 3G iPhones are mostly 8GB $99 models except what few 16GB units are still in the pipeline. It's really foolish to buy less than the 32GB 3GS for only $299.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

THE 99 dollar 3g addresses the crowd who don't need or have use for many of the new 3gs capabiltie's. ADD that to a cheap data plan and its a very large market that has now opened for apple.

yeps. I have a niece that is turning 13 and is begging for an iphone like mom and dad have. no way would they buy her a $299 phone. but they will buy her the $99 one and she can save up her babysitting money to upgrade next year or whenever at her cost.

and yes they have the unlimited family texting plan. LOL

post #45 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by patroll View Post

Your poor grasp of logic is truly astounding and consistent in all your posts.

You constantly complain about a problem that you don't have because you are convinced that you would have it if you owned an iPhoneQuote:
Originally Posted by patroll
Just to point out that to be affected by this, one has to own and use an iPhone first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud
Not true- if you can both READ and comprehend. Take off your fanboi blinders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by patroll
The person to whom you are responding, by his own admission, doesn't own or use an iPhone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud
Because of the reviews- why would I want inferior calls in NYC where I require a great connection ??

You constantly complain about a problem that you don't have because you are convinced that you would have it if you owned an iPhone..

Ouch
DUDE you just put techdpud in his place, like no one ever has . Only a troll would ever post here again after that .

i bow to you .
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #46 of 91
How about someone who owned an iphone but returned it? Do they have a say in the matter?

As it turns out, I pay about 20 dollars less per month for the same thing I initially tried with AT&T (450 anytime, unlimited text / data) and that's with insurance on my phone (albeit the insurance only gives u a refurb some of the time, but it's better than dishing out another 300 bucks or so.)

At the time, the iphone didn't have what I wanted. It was great, bought a few apps, but for the most part, I was dissatisfied. I ended up going to Sprint within my 30 days, and at the time, all they had was an Instinct which was comparable. Like a moron, I decided to get it. And like a complete retard, I actually listened when they said updates would fix it's problems. It didn't, and I stayed past my 30 days. In the long run, I sold it on ebay for about $75 more than I spent on it, and got a Touch Pro for half of what new users get it for and I've been very happy ever since.

Now that the 3.0 software is out, and the 3G S is out, had this happened last year, I wouldn't have left.

I love my Touch Pro, and all the features I wanted but were lacking in the iPhone have been present in this phone for a while now. It's been great owning this phone, but the 3GS with the 3.0 software is really what I wanted (and more) to begin with.

And a word about AT&T's coverage: Where I live, Sprint is much better, and has way faster 3G download speeds. Add to the fact that I can tether my phone for free and do video recording and mms, and the switch at the time was far more than worth it.
post #47 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

This is for June. iPhone 3Gs has 11 days, iPhone 3g has 30. If you look at the next quarter, he's predicted much more 3Gs sales.

I just still don't see that many 3G sales when Apple announced the new iPhone on the 8th if you were going to buy a new one you'd (at least in the case of all the people I know that are getting iPhones) wait the extra week and get the 3Gs - I just don't see Apple hitting the 2.5M mark with the 3G unless Gs sales for June are going to be closer to 1M. But I guess only time will tell - btw - does Apple even release month by month numbers? I thought they only did quarters...
post #48 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

When a company's products are so far ahead of what's out there currently, and are so well designed, critics have to reach further and further - often well into the realm of the ridiculous, in order to find something to use, no matter how silly or obscure.

A phone not getting clear constistent calls is ridiiculous and silly ?
You're ridiculous!
Obscure indeed.
post #49 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Not true- if you can both READ and comprehend and know others who own it and have problems

So you have never actually owned one?
post #50 of 91
post #51 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAloy View Post

So you have never actually owned one?

Can you read? Do I need to spoon feed you?
Seriously I own a Touch - same thing- no bad AT&T calls.
post #52 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by patroll View Post

You constantly complain about a problem that you don't have because you are convinced that you would have it if you owned an iPhone.

No complaining- just the telling the facts.
post #53 of 91
Quote:

Can you read? Do I need to spoon feed you?

Yes, spoon feed me.
post #54 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAloy View Post

Yes, spoon feed me.

I own a Touch (love it)- same thing- no bad AT&T calls.
post #55 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

How many times has this been addressed? DOESN'T affect all users.

I've never had a problem with AT&T service in 2 whole years.

Neither has Teckstud. He doesn't own an iPhone. Never has. And based on his comment yesterday, never will.

Obviously, there is a God.
post #56 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace350 View Post

I will be a new iPhone owner, long time AT&T user on Friday. Does anyone have the data as to how many new iPhone owner there are and how many returning owners there are of the 3G and the original iPhone?

I can not tell you the numbers but I got the first iPhone opening weekend. Waited at AT&T for the 3G from 1:00AM for the store to open to get that model and will be in line early tomorrow morning at my local Apple store for the 3GS. I love my iPhone so much I will likely switch carriers to keep using one if I need to switch carriers in the future. There is no better phone period.
post #57 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Neither has Teckstud. He doesn't own an iPhone. Never has. And based on his comment yesterday, never will.

Dont underestimate his hypocrisy and ability to change his stance on a dime (while denying he ever had that stance despite written proof, even within the same thread). He was rabid about how crappy the G2 Shuffle sounded, but when the G3 Shuffle appeared, with better sound he went out and bought the G2 Shuffle and now touts it as the best Shuffle. He also has recently claimed that hes going to get a MB despite claiming how much glossy displays suck
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #58 of 91
Gentlemen,

Stop the personal attacks now. If you don't you will find yourself removed from the option of participating in this discussion for a period of time. Have some respect or find something else to do.

This is not a suggestion.
Modding for Great Justice
Modding for Great Justice
post #59 of 91
Quote:

Not true- if there is a god, AT&T fixes their Network and then I am in. I'm not the only one.
post #60 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Hyper? I didn't use caps or anything. I'm just calling a spade a spade since nobody else was calling out the pink elephant in the room...

I guess I'm going to have to be "one of those people" who points this out...

The phrase is actually, "... the elephant in the room...". Changing it to a "pink" elephant does not enhance the original saying.

Thank you.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #61 of 91
Quote:

If there was a god it would have struck him with lightning by now.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #62 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

. . .

Quote:
Don’t underestimate his hypocrisy and ability to change his stance on a dime (while denying he ever had that stance despite written proof, even within the same thread). He was rabid about how crappy the G2 Shuffle sounded, but when the G3 Shuffle appeared, with better sound he went out and bought the G2 Shuffle and now touts it as the best Shuffle. He also has recently claimed that he’s going to get a MB despite claiming how much glossy displays suck

Please stay on the thread and stop your nonsense. No one wants to see you add up your posts without contributing to the thread. We all know you spew distortions towards me only because I've called you up on all your past failings with regards to predictions i.e firewire, USB, matte, MMS etc, etc, etc.
post #63 of 91
Quote:

read this my friend

Sorry doesn't answer my question.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
post #64 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I guess I'm going to have to be "one of those people" who points this out...

The phrase is actually, "... the elephant in the room...". Changing it to a "pink" elephant does not enhance the original saying.

Thank you.

That's the phrase my g/f and I use - kinda makes it a little funnier - I know the phrase is just the elephant but saying it's pink, man, that's really hard to miss!
post #65 of 91
Quote:

Please stay on the thread and stop your nonsense. No one wants to see you add up your posts without contributing to the thread. We all know you spew distortions towards me only because I've called you up on all your past failings with regards to predictions i.e firewire, USB, matte, MMS etc, etc, etc.

I'm thinking if the forum was to take a poll on who is more baseless in their accusations and is, generally speaking, more annoying you'd probably win. Maybe sol' does annoy you but he doesn't really annoy the rest of us like you do
post #66 of 91
Quote:

says the kid who has never made a valid argument, kept target with his argument and has yet to contribute a single valid post despite.

My predictions have almost all come to fruition, as my posts have clearly shown.

BTW, whining about something and then having it eventually change is not a prediction, its merely bellyaching for the sake of bellyaching. To speculate you have to think about the reasons why something is not available, and logical reasons why it would or come back. This means thinking about the companys PoV, logistics and the physics of the what is being discussed.
post #67 of 91
Quote:

I'm thinking if the forum was to take a poll on who is more baseless in their accusations and is, generally speaking, more annoying you'd probably win. Maybe sol' does annoy you but he doesn't really annoy the rest of us like you do

I wish I wasnt so optimistic by nature. every now and then hell post something that is partial based in fact, has some relevant research attached to it and/or states an opinion that isnt worded as an absolute. But this seems to be only a single post out every few hundred and never really crosses the plane to being intelligent. Still I have hope, if not for myself the sake of the board as a whole.

PS: You try to block him, but you still his name pop constantly and if one person replies to him you see his blather, so the vBulletin feature becomes mostly pointless.
post #68 of 91
Quote:

Sorry doesn't answer my question.

Just a good read. What is your query??

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #69 of 91
Quote:

Just a good read. What is your query??

Posting worthwhile articles in good, but it does help to give a synopsis and/or quote a paragraph that best illustrates the article. Just dont quote the entire article.
post #70 of 91
Quote:

DUDE- You mean more like grovel, LOSER

You remind me of mr potato head. Hey admn needs a pet idiot to keep around.

Patrol busted you so bad, Caught you in a major lie. YOU don't even own the iphone or a MB .

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #71 of 91
Quote:

Posting worthwhile articles in good, but it does help to give a synopsis and/or quote a paragraph that best illustrates the article. Just dont quote the entire article.

Sorry, I thought about that. And i will in the future, Good looking out dude.

peace

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #72 of 91
Quote:

That's the phrase my g/f and I use - kinda makes it a little funnier - I know the phrase is just the elephant but saying it's pink, man, that's really hard to miss!

PINK elephant is what an 1950's cartoon alcoholic see's when drunk .But hey its still very funny.
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #73 of 91
Quote:

PINK elephant is what an 1950's cartoon alcoholic see's when drunk .But hey its still very funny.

ROFL! I remember seeing a WB cartoon when I was like 5 at daycare and a little pink elephant shows up, and this blurping drunk says something like "What took you so long?"
post #74 of 91
Quote:

The etymology pre-dates the 1950s. Jack London is the first on record in 1910 and that was probably taken from the phrase a score earlier about pink giraffes.

Speaking of cartoons, there is one word that has changed from the use in a cartoon, with the original meaning being widely unknown: Nimrod. Now it typically to refer to an idiot or fool, but before the 1950s it meant skilful hunter, as the it was the Biblical name of Noahs great-grandson, who was said to be an excellent hunter. It was a Looney Tunes cartoon where Bugs Bunny referred to Elmer Fudd as a poor little Nimrod. [SIZE="1](with all etymology, there is a level of doubt that need to be attributed to it)[/SIZE]
post #75 of 91
Can hardly wait for my phone to arrive.

- Love fanboi
post #76 of 91
Ah, I see that yet another AI thread has been teckstuded.

OK, on to the next next site.....
post #77 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Can hardly wait for my phone to arrive.

- Love fanboi

Hehe.

Apparently, Rogers (here in Canada) tells me that they'll have the 32gb 3G S avaiable tomorrow, and that even though I'm on a 3-year plan, I'll be eligible for an upgrade by July 5th. Something about me being a valued and long-time customer. Even though a month ago i was told to to forget about it as I was locked in to my 3-year contract.

Somewhat strange, but interesting . . .

I guess Rogers wants to throw us a bone.
post #78 of 91
Quote:

PS: You try to block him, but you still his name pop constantly and if one person replies to him you see his blather, so the vBulletin feature becomes mostly pointless.

With all due respect, I block him and it works well enough for me. You're right, he shows up when others respond, but it's an imperfect world we live in, right? Microsoft is not perfectly bad, Apple is not perfectly good, and Techstud is not perfectly absent ... but close enough!!!
post #79 of 91
Quote:

Speaking of cartoons, there is one word that has changed from the use in a cartoon, with the original meaning being widely unknown: Nimrod. Now it typically to refer to an idiot or fool, but before the 1950s it meant skilful hunter, as the it was the Biblical name of Noahs great-grandson, who was said to be an excellent hunter. It was a Looney Tunes cartoon where Bugs Bunny referred to Elmer Fudd as a poor little Nimrod.

Just two days ago my wife and I were specualting about the origin of the term "Nimrod." Seeing as that we were in the car and we don't get our iPhones until tomorrow, we had no option for looking it up and it was forgotten until now...
Thanks for the info.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #80 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

How many times has this been addressed? DOESN'T affect all users.
I've never had a problem with AT&T service in 2 whole years.

Nor me.

Honestly, I don't know why anyone pays any attention to his commentary - he doesn't even own an iPhone!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple forecasted to sell a half-million iPhones 3G S's this weekend