or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 3G S faster than Palm Pre; 500K sales "conservative"

iPhone 3G S faster than Palm Pre; 500K sales "conservative" - Page 9

post #321 of 367
C'mon. This tired dialogue about glass/plastic screens again? After the two years of banner sales of glass front iPhones, no one would still argue that plastic is more scratch resistant than glass.

YouTube is filled with torture and durability tests on the iPhone, going all the way back to the original model. Heres just one link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkXlriABfOo

The iPhone is durable as hell, even mixed with keys and change in your pocket.
post #322 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

This like the titanic sinking

Over at pre-central the topic's about the crack screens are running over 13 pages long each .

Picture UPS sending 100,000 cracked screen pre's baCk to palm central . Piling up with 8 dollar an hour trained repair people avoiding work by twittering how they are avoiding work. While the broken pre's continue to pile up

And the palm guy on top just sits there with his 3gs mumbling about how the hell does hulu not charge for free movies .

And the band plays on.....

I would expect that COA (Cracked On Arrival) phones go back to whatever Chinese manufacturer is assembling them, not to Palm or mobile network provider..?
post #323 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It isn't that it cant be scratched, but that it's pretty hard to scratch. Some people can scratch diamonds.

Shouldn't you instead be replying to the guy who claimed the "iPhone screens don't scratch"? I only offered to trade the guy my scratched iPhone as a joke to point out how absurd the claim was.
post #324 of 367
Quote:

NO after reading many articles.This one put it in a clear order. Anyway some one said that if i give a link i have to talk about that link .

I would rather give the link. And go to sleep . Anyway in the articles everything he said is already being done . NO PIE IN THE SKY.

Did i mis speak nikon ?

If you say so.

This one article is reading like a iPhone ad... and that about gaming on iPhone.

Pre is in it's first generation and they managed to come much closer to iPhone (and actually better it in some fields) than WinMo, Symbian... did in years. I think that alone is worth respect.

Plus, we don't know what Pre people have in pipeline for future updates and major revisions. It seems as if most people here think they will stop here and milk poor little Pre for decades. That might happen, but new CEO seems much more capable than that.

We'll see.
post #325 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

2 questions:

You sure you can't disable automatic updates on Pre?

Why would you want to skip on updates..?

Absolutely certain.

http://www.precentral.net/webos-upda...d-if-they-have

As I already stated, there are people who will "jailbreak" their phones. That include the Pre, and WebOs. It's already been done. It will occur much more than with the iPhone because of the slow pace of Palms SDK development, and because it doesn't allow deep interaction with the hardware.
post #326 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Shouldn't you instead be replying to the guy who claimed the "iPhone screens don't scratch"? I only offered to trade the guy my scratched iPhone as a joke to point out how absurd the claim was.

No. Because most people understand that glass screens can scratch, even though it's much less likely. I'm sure he does, but was just overemphasizing it.

Your reply seemed to be indicating that he didn't, and seemed to be a bit sarcastic.
post #327 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You should take a look at sales of games on the iPhone. Gaming on the iPhone has quickly grown into a multimillion dollar business. Its more like the DS or PSP than most other phone platforms.

I don't suspect iPhone users are gaming on iPhone, as I don't suspect Mac users are using iLife. But that is still far from majority of phone users. There are many people who are not interested in games, and in particular mobile games. Heck, there are still loads of people who get all they need from basic Nokia phone.

Quote:
Nope, the iPhone screen does not scratch.

Borrow me your iPhone and I'll prove you wrong

Quote:
What really separates the iPhone from the others is the fact that it has a solid plastic body with no latches, doors, or moving parts. That makes it feel more solid and durable.

Unibody by all logic is more solid than bodies with moving parts, no discussion there. Still it doesn't mean other phones are useless, if more fragile. It also doesn't mean next Pre phone will not be unibody design.
post #328 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Who care about the Palm Peee now?

You don't think that's a little too juvenile?
post #329 of 367
Quote:

Unibody by all logic is more solid than bodies with moving parts, no discussion there. Still it doesn't mean other phones are useless, if more fragile. It also doesn't mean next Pre phone will not be unibody design.

We can only deal with the reality of the moment. So right now, the Pre isn't a unibody phone.

I hope they haven't already got a new phone finishing up on the drawing board thats too much like this one, and that instead, they will be learning from the problems this one has first.
post #330 of 367
Quote:

We can only deal with the reality of the moment. So right now, the Pre isn't a unibody phone.

I hope they haven't already got a new phone finishing up on the drawing board thats too much like this one, and that instead, they will be learning from the problems this one has first.

search for "Palm Eos" on google to get an idea what the next phone supposedly looks like.
post #331 of 367
Quote:

Absolutely certain.

http://www.precentral.net/webos-upda...d-if-they-have

As I already stated, there are people who will "jailbreak" their phones. That include the Pre, and WebOs. It's already been done. It will occur much more than with the iPhone because of the slow pace of Palms SDK development, and because it doesn't allow deep interaction with the hardware.

what's kinda interesting is how Palm is apparently OK with people doing that. Since they include a lot of GPL'ed code, they have a web page linking to the source tarballs. Basically, if you have a Debian or Ubuntu machine with an ARM cross compilation tool chain, you should be able to build binaries for the Pre. Just a text editor is needed if you stick to Mojo. Certainly a lot lower up front cost if one doesn't have an intel based Mac.
post #332 of 367
Quote:

I would expect that COA (Cracked On Arrival) phones go back to whatever Chinese manufacturer is assembling them, not to Palm or mobile network provider..?

I have no idea where a COA would go. The whole post i made was to inflict laughter on the reader.

Good luck on your phone purchase.

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #333 of 367
Quote:

If you say so.

This one article is reading like a iPhone ad... and that about gaming on iPhone.

Pre is in it's first generation and they managed to come much closer to iPhone (and actually better it in some fields) than WinMo, Symbian... did in years. I think that alone is worth respect.

Plus, we don't know what Pre people have in pipeline for future updates and major revisions. It seems as if most people here think they will stop here and milk poor little Pre for decades. That might happen, but new CEO seems much more capable than that.

We'll see.

For crack screens pics

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...=188829&page=5

for a poll and more stories

Go to palm pre central and read up about the cracked screens. The poll topic is 26 pages long. and there are even more topics scattered around that site and the palm site.

DO you own a pre and an iphone ? If not than how can you say ?
Respect ? The pre has to earn it. Benefit of the doubt ? The cracked screen used that up. People were very upset at how sprint was delaying their return so they would go over the 30 day return policy. Some have to pay $100 insurance money or else ! So you see nikon where my jokes and put downs came from. I wish the pre well .

The pre people it seems should re-do some parts of their plan. They may want to get their own music site .They may want use glass in the future. They may want to start off smaller and slower and build a following. What the rush ?? It is a very large market. And the smart phone market is growing bigger and bigger so pre will have a place for itself to thrive.

peace

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #334 of 367
Quote:

Go to palm pre central and read up about the cracked screens. The poll topic is 26 pages long. and there are even more topics scattered around that site and the palm site.

DO you own a pre and an iphone ? If not than how can you say ?
Respect ? The pre has to earn it. Benefit of the doubt ? The cracked screen used that up. People were very upset at how sprint was delaying their return so they would go over the 30 day return policy. Some have to pay $100 insurance money or else ! So you see nikon where my jokes and put downs came from. I wish the pre well .

The pre people it seems should re-do some parts of their plan. They may want to get their own music site .They may want use glass in the future. They may want to start off smaller and slower and build a following. What the rush ?? It is a very large market. And the smart phone market is growing bigger and bigger so pre will have a place for itself to thrive.

peace

For some reason, I can inly see the posting for 98 posts there. Nothing has changed since the 20th.

What link are you using, as I went to Pre Central directly. No matter how I do it, I still get that same number.
post #335 of 367
Quote:

I don't suspect iPhone users are gaming on iPhone, as I don't suspect Mac users are using iLife. But that is still far from majority of phone users. There are many people who are not interested in games, and in particular mobile games. Heck, there are still loads of people who get all they need from basic Nokia phone.

Look at the reports for game sales on the iPhone. I cannot say if the majority of iPhone users game or not but there are enough people doing it to become a million dollar business.

Quote:

Want to trade your iPhone for mine then? Mine couldn't possibly be scratched.

Quote:
Borrow me your iPhone and I'll prove you wrong

I supposed I simplified it too much. Yes the iPhone screen can be scratched if you actually put some effort forth. When the iPhone first came out there was a Youtube video of a guy who put it in a bag with keys and jewelry and shook it up. The back of the phone was scratched to hell, but the screen had nothing.

Quote:

I didn't say that other phones were useless, I simply said a solid body feels sturdier.
post #336 of 367
Quote:

For some reason, I can inly see the posting for 98 posts there. Nothing has changed since the 20th.

What link are you using, as I went to Pre Central directly. No matter how I do it, I still get that same number.

I am also blocked
but i went to history and got in like flynn.

F For pre-crack's screens pics

for a poll and more stories

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ed-screen.html
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #337 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraBuggy View Post

Hey I got my PRE and it Rocks........oh, I should clarify---
I PRE-ordered the iPhone 3GS.........The Palm Pre was merely an old prototype of the iPhone that Steve Jobs trashed.......Rubenstein left Apple disgruntled....and CNN put it best:

"The Pre is great....but....its not insanely great" ...thats what happens when you take a protoype to market....Rubenstein should have listened to Jobs.....darn

got milk ?
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #338 of 367
I'd take it a little easy on the Palm fanboys. The apologia they are using for the Pre's shortfalls are very similar to the ones used by iPhone fanboys when it first came out. They deserve a bit of ribbing, in that sports fan, sports rival kind of way. When iPhone OS X gets 3rd party app multitasking, I'm sure we will all be singing its praises!

As for slider or slate, in particular for handheld computing devices, not simple cell phones, it's slate all the way. Design matters. Apple got this right from the beginning with a symmetrical design in both axes so that one can use it in portrait or landscape without much visual or ergonomic annoyances. To this day, very few touch screen phones don't get this right. The only ones I can think of is Nokia's 5800 and N97.

The Palm Pre doubles up the minuses by it being both a portrait slider and an asymmetric design about the vertical axis. It simply won't be that much fun to use in landscape with one end being bigger than the other and having to rotate to portrait to enter text. I'd bet that not many people will be using the Pre in landscape orientation.

Also think about the T-Mobile/Google G1, a horizontal slider. 8 months ago when it debuted, it's hard keyboard was one of its vaunted, key advantages over the iPhone. Today, Google updated the Android OS with an onscreen keyboard and the HTC Magic/T-Mobile myTouch 3G only has an onscreen keyboard for text input. What happened to the great advantage that was the hard keyboard?! Unfortunately, HTC/Google/T-Mobile continues to make the mistake of not have symmetrical design in both axes.

And I didn't even touch the tradeoffs in durability.
post #339 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

I'd take it a little easy on the Palm fanboys. The apologia they are using for the Pre's shortfalls are very similar to the ones used by iPhone fanboys when it first came out. They deserve a bit of ribbing, in that sports fan, sports rival kind of way. When iPhone OS X gets 3rd party app multitasking, I'm sure we will all be singing its praises!

As for slider or slate, in particular for handheld computing devices, not simple cell phones, it's slate all the way. Design matters. Apple got this right from the beginning with a symmetrical design in both axes so that one can use it in portrait or landscape without much visual or ergonomic annoyances. To this day, very few touch screen phones don't get this right. The only ones I can think of is Nokia's 5800 and N97.

The Palm Pre doubles up the minuses by it being both a portrait slider and an asymmetric design about the vertical axis. It simply won't be that much fun to use in landscape with one end being bigger than the other and having to rotate to portrait to enter text. I'd bet that not many people will be using the Pre in landscape orientation.

Also think about the T-Mobile/Google G1, a horizontal slider. 8 months ago when it debuted, it's hard keyboard was one of its vaunted, key advantages over the iPhone. Today, Google updated the Android OS with an onscreen keyboard and the HTC Magic/T-Mobile myTouch 3G only has an onscreen keyboard for text input. What happened to the great advantage that was the hard keyboard?! Unfortunately, HTC/Google/T-Mobile continues to make the mistake of not have symmetrical design in both axes.

And I didn't even touch the tradeoffs in durability.

It seems that people who are used to hard qwerty keyboards from previous phones, and did well with them, like hard keyboards better than virtual ones.

But people who never had a smartphone with a hard qwerty keyboard find a virtual one about as good, or better.

It's true that having a hard keyboard limits input to one orientation. It's generally been considered to be much better to have a landscape keyboard.

Every phone that has a clamshell arrangement or has had a slide out keyboard, until now, has had them in landscape mode. This goes way back to the Psion.

The idea was always to get the keyboard as wide as possible.

The original Blackberry's all had wide landscape formats, because they were first and foremost typing machines. The more "phone-like" they got, the narrower the keyboards got. Harder to type on, but more consumer friendly in shape.

While there are a few who can type better on the narrow keyboards, they are few.

The Pre has been criticized for going this way.

But virtual keyboards are more useful, no matter how you look at it.
post #340 of 367
I think a lot of the argument about the iPhone when it first came out. Was that Apple was starting the foundation of their platform. Apple said from the beginning it was a start that they would build from. When people criticized they could not appreciate Apple's long term strategy. Which is now coming to fruition.

I think the problem with Pre supporters is they try too hard to compare the first generation Pre to the third generation iPhone. They built up the expectation that the Pre was going to be just as good on its first version.

I don't think iPhone supporters have problems with multi-tasking directly. Many of us have said we want it. We just don't want it at the expense of battery life as the Pre has proven.

Quote:

post #341 of 367
Quote:

I
While there are a few who can type better on the narrow keyboards, they are few.

While there are a many who can't type better on the narrow keyboards, they are many.
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #342 of 367
Quote:

I don't think iPhone supporters have problems with multi-tasking directly. Many of us have said we want it. We just don't want it at the expense of battery life as the Pre has proven.

I thought there are other significant variables, as many variables as possible need to be isolated. When third party software is currently limited to AJAX and the competing phones offer native execution, I think that is a major variable.
post #343 of 367
Quote:

While there are a many who can't type better on the narrow keyboards, they are many.

Oddly, I can type better on the narrow keyboard, despite having large hands (I can palm a basketball with ease). Don't know why; it just feels more natural.

Japanese input is also far easier on the narrow keyboard and can be done single-handed. My wife (who is Japanese) does prefer the landscape keyboard for English).

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #344 of 367
Quote:

It seems that people who are used to hard qwerty keyboards from previous phones, and did well with them, like hard keyboards better than virtual ones.

But people who never had a smartphone with a hard qwerty keyboard find a virtual one about as good, or better.

Perhaps. People have speculated about that, but my feel for the situation is different. It's about the tradeoffs. By going soft QWERTY, it allows for bigger screens in thinner form factors, makes touch-screen UIs easier to use, and applications more rich with much larger design spaces. I think many of us feel that this is a trade that most people would buy into.

I'm sure there is a population out that, by nature, is not willing to give up on the feel of using a hard thumb board, but I hardly think it is a significant fraction. Maybe 10% aren't willing to buy into the benefits versus losing a hardware keyboard.

I do think that messaging (email, IM, SMS, Twitter) is a significant enough usage that it is the predominant usage of a handheld device and therefore a hard keyboard is a better option. And this is likely a bigger population than the "hard keyboard or die" folks. But this only has loose correlation to people's preference of hard v soft keyboards. Once you start adding web-browsing, games and applications and such to the mix, the slate starts to become better.

Quote:
The idea was always to get the keyboard as wide as possible.

The original Blackberry's all had wide landscape formats, because they were first and foremost typing machines. The more "phone-like" they got, the narrower the keyboards got. Harder to type on, but more consumer friendly in shape.

The Pre has been criticized for going this way.

Well, there are limits on how wide you want to get it. I think 2.4 to 2.8 inches wide is the optimal width. The wider it gets beyond a the optimum range, users will become less as efficient as thumb travel gets too far.
post #345 of 367
Quote:

Perhaps. People have speculated about that, but my feel for the situation is different. It's about the tradeoffs. By going soft QWERTY, it allows for bigger screens in thinner form factors, makes touch-screen UIs easier to use, and applications more rich with much larger design spaces. I think many of us feel that this is a trade that most people would buy into.

I'm sure there is a population out that, by nature, is not willing to give up on the feel of using a hard thumb board, but I hardly think it is a significant fraction. Maybe 10% aren't willing to buy into the benefits versus losing a hardware keyboard.

I do think that messaging (email, IM, SMS, Twitter) is a significant enough usage that it is the predominant usage of a handheld device and therefore a hard keyboard is a better option. And this is likely a bigger population than the "hard keyboard or die" folks. But this only has loose correlation to people's preference of hard v soft keyboards. Once you start adding web-browsing, games and applications and such to the mix, the slate starts to become better.

I know that some folks prefer a hard keyboard, but that doesn't mean that they would type better on it, just that they think they would. Unfortunately, that often means that the placebo effect comes into play. The self fulfilling prophesy.

It's also a matter of comfort. you're familiar with it, so it seems easier.

I find the vertical keyboards to be more difficult. I never liked the one on my Treo 700p. The one on the HTC 6700 , which was horizontal, seemed much better, though it was a bad keyboard in itself, and was a Windows phone, which killed it for me.

Quote:
Well, there are limits on how wide you want to get it. I think 2.4 to 2.8 inches wide is the optimal width. The wider it gets beyond a the optimum range, users will become less as efficient as thumb travel gets too far.

Yes, of course. There is an idea of some ideal spacing. I didn't mean more than that, though most are narrower than that.
post #346 of 367
Quote:

I supposed I simplified it too much. Yes the iPhone screen can be scratched if you actually put some effort forth. When the iPhone first came out there was a Youtube video of a guy who put it in a bag with keys and jewelry and shook it up. The back of the phone was scratched to hell, but the screen had nothing.

Anecdotes of fool-proof durability prove nothing. It should be obvious by now that there are contradictory anecdotes.

Perhaps you want to qualify even further in order to not look too foolish?

Some examples if you're still not convinced...

When mountain biking I put my iPhone in a sock and then in a built-in pouch inside the small pocket of my camel pack. Sounds like reasonable precautions right? Well it still gets scratched anyway. Some people spend time outdoors where there happens to be dirt.

Or for instance: I am restoring an old home in my spare time. This includes demolition, plastering, landscaping, roofing, etc. I'm not going to leave the iPhone elsewhere since the whole purpose of having a mobile phone is to have it on your person. Well eventually tiny debris, weather asphault shingle grit or crumbling plaster, finds its way into your pocket. And yes, that will scratch an iPhone.

The above scenarios are normal usage that result in scratches. Numerous of other scenarios have been reported if one is willing enough to open their ears and listen.

And please don't come back with a list of how to prevent scratches. People are well aware of how to prevent scratches. Those measures just aren't worth it for people who need to live lives as described above. Not everyone has an office job and then goes home to sit on the couch all night. When the phone accompanies people on the vast array of possible activities in life, many of those activities will result in scratched screens.

Note that I'm not saying the iPhone is fragile nor that there is something wrong with the iPhone. I'm just rejecting outright your somewhat pretentious claim that scratched screens are from misuse.
post #347 of 367
Quote:

Anecdotes of fool-proof durability prove nothing. It should be obvious by now that there are contradictory anecdotes.

Its not annecdotal when you have video.

iPhone scratch test

Quote:

Alright, I'll look foolish as I enjoy my unscratched screen.
post #348 of 367
Quote:

Some examples if you're still not convinced...

When mountain biking I put my iPhone in a sock and then in a built-in pouch inside the small pocket of my camel pack. Sounds like reasonable precautions right? Well it still gets scratched anyway. Some people spend time outdoors where there happens to be dirt.

Or for instance: I am restoring an old home in my spare time. This includes demolition, plastering, landscaping, roofing, etc. I'm not going to leave the iPhone elsewhere since the whole purpose of having a mobile phone is to have it on your person. Well eventually tiny debris, weather asphault shingle grit or crumbling plaster, finds its way into your pocket. And yes, that will scratch an iPhone.

The above scenarios are normal usage that result in scratches. Numerous of other scenarios have been reported if one is willing enough to open their ears and listen.

And please don't come back with a list of how to prevent scratches. People are well aware of how to prevent scratches. Those measures just aren't worth it for people who need to live lives as described above. Not everyone has an office job and then goes home to sit on the couch all night. When the phone accompanies people on the vast array of possible activities in life, many of those activities will result in scratched screens.

Note that I'm not saying the iPhone is fragile nor that there is something wrong with the iPhone. I'm just rejecting outright your somewhat pretentious claim that scratched screens are from misuse.

That's interesting because I have shops at home. One is a machine shop with all the attendant metal flying around, grinding operations, sanding etc. I keep my phone on my belt in an almost completely open at the top holster. Never get scratches from anything, even though I often have to blow an amalgam of dust off the screen, consisting, of who knows what.

Some people are just unlucky.
post #349 of 367
Are you honestly trying to say that iPhones don't scratch? Why else all this rebuttal nonsense, as if I had said something false. People can and do scratch their iphone screens. It isn't unheard of or incredibly rare.

I humorously mentioned that I'd be willing to trade my iPhone for TenoBell's unscratched iPhone because he had just claimed that iPhone screens couldn't be scratched. But apparently it wasn't acceptable for someone to point out that scratching was indeed possible. Instead, the observable fact, that iPhone screens can and do scratch, was rebutted for some strange reason.

Are we in bizarro world here? What's going on?

iPhone screens are acceptably scratch resistant but they do scratch. Why is there the need to argue about this?
post #350 of 367
Quote:

Are you honestly trying to say that iPhones don't scratch? Why else all this rebuttal nonsense, as if I had said something false. People can and do scratch their iphone screens. It isn't unheard of or incredibly rare.

I humorously mentioned that I'd be willing to trade my iPhone for TenoBell's unscratched iPhone but he had just claimed that iPhone screens couldn't be scratched. But apparently it wasn't acceptable for someone to point out that scratching was indeed possible. Instead, the observable fact, that iPhone screens can and do scratch, was rebutted for some strange reason.

iPhone screens are acceptably scratch resistant but they do scratch. Why is there the need to argue about this?

Of course they scratch. But you seem to be having worse luck than most. I have friends who also go mountain biking with their phones, and theirs haven't scratched.

I do have a friend who scratched his, but he dropped it in a parking lot, and it skidded, face down (no skin case) on the asphalt.

I know people who keep them in their pockets, pocketbooks, attache cases, backpacks and other places, and they haven't scratched.

Actually, they are all pretty amazed that they haven't scratched.
post #351 of 367
Quote:

Of course they scratch. But you seem to be having worse luck than most. I have friends who also go mountain biking with their phones, and theirs haven't scratched.

I do have a friend who scratched his, but he dropped it in a parking lot, and it skidded, face down (no skin case) on the asphalt.

I know people who keep them in their pockets, pocketbooks, attache cases, backpacks and other places, and they haven't scratched.

Actually, they are all pretty amazed that they haven't scratched.

No they aren't all amazed that their iphones haven't scratched. You just said that one of your friends scratched his by dropping it.
post #352 of 367
Quote:

No they aren't all amazed that their iphones haven't scratched. You just said that one of your friends scratched his by dropping it.

Obviously, I meant the ones that haven't had their phones scratched. But even he wasn't exactly annoyed at anything other than himself. That's pretty extreme.
post #353 of 367
Quote:

Obviously, I meant the ones that haven't had their phones scratched. But even he wasn't exactly annoyed at anything other than himself. That's pretty extreme.

Don't get me wrong, the scratch resistance is definitely excellent. The next best thing might be diamond coating.

But you must admit that dropping a mobile phone isn't uncomon. Plenty of people scratch their phones (of any kind) that way. That's all i'm pointing out, which is why the rebuttals are baffling.
post #354 of 367
Quote:

Don't get me wrong, the scratch resistance is definitely excellent. The next best thing might be diamond coating.

well, we now know that diamond isn't the hardest natural mineral. There are two that are harder.

But you must admit that dropping a mobile phone isn't uncomon. Plenty of people scratch their phones (of any kind) that way. That's all i'm pointing out, which is why the rebuttals are baffling.

Sure, there's always the risk when you drop one. That's why we bought the Incase skins. It gives a bit of a lip around the screen, thus protecting it from most contact. I'm not oblivious.

But these are very hard to scratch. I know dozens of people with these things. I only know that one person who has scratched his, and you have to admit, skidding along ten feet of asphalt is unusually cruel.
post #355 of 367
If I'd known you would parse my words this much I would have added more qualifiers. It was not my intent to say that iPhone screens are 100% scratch proof in every and all circumstance.

I simply meant it's extremely unlikely the iPhone will scratch under normal use and abuse.

Quote:

post #356 of 367
Quote:

If I'd known you would parse my words this much I would have added more qualifiers. It was not my intent to say that iPhone screens are 100% scratch proof in every and all circumstance.

I simply meant it's extremely unlikely the iPhone will scratch under normal use and abuse.

Dont forget to qualify exactly what normal use and abuse is.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #357 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Dont forget to qualify exactly what normal use and abuse is.

Good idea... In some people's world, normal use and abuse involves occasional dropping of their phone on concrete.
post #358 of 367
Quote:

Good idea... In some people's world, normal use and abuse involves occasional dropping of their phone on concrete.

And in that normal world of abuse, people buy skin cases to put them in to protect them against that small chance of getting damaged. These cases make them much less likely to slip out of the hand.
post #359 of 367
Quote:

While I wouldn't call that acceptable for making a warranty claim, it is certainly the norm for my portable devices.
post #360 of 367
Quote:

And in that normal world of abuse, people buy skin cases to put them in to protect them against that small chance of getting damaged. These cases make them much less likely to slip out of the hand.

Exactly. Some people buy skins because otherwise their screen might scratch.

Edit: Hmmm, I wonder if it'll ever be possible for someone to say that iPhone screens can scratch without getting a rebuttal.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 3G S faster than Palm Pre; 500K sales "conservative"