or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs' return to Apple linked to liver transplant
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Steve Jobs' return to Apple linked to liver transplant - Page 2

post #41 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by aueua View Post

Totally agree!
A liver transplant to fight against pancreatic cancer's metastasis is pretty an oncologic nonsense and I guess almost any expert would discourage it.
I urge The Wall Street Journal to find a more reliable medical consultant and/or better review its sources...

All the best Steve!
Aueua!

LOL! I love how so many people on this site are know-it-alls. Not only do they know everything about electronics but now they know everything about cancer and a patient that they have never even met much less diagnosed!

Can you also see into the future?
post #42 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Thank you for your post . Could you tell us more ??
and i guess steve's cancer has come back .

OK - here is more. I want to caution everyone, though, that I have at no time been involved in SJ's care and that I only gather information from what everyone else is reading - with my background as a medical oncologist who is actually treating patients with islet cell cancers like SJ.

Apple routinely mentioned an "hormonal imbalance" as reason for SJ's weight loss. Now, islet cell cancers can produce certain hormones (such as glucagon, somatostatin, vasoactive-intestinal peptide (VIP) etc) which can interfere with a normal gastrointestinal function and the way a body utilizes nutrients (carbohydrates, protein, fat). When an islet cell cancer recurs and produces liver metastases, these hormonal effects can lead to significant and rapid weight loss. Thus, it could well be that Apple's statements were somewhat true. Right now it does appear that SJ's tumor had spread to his liver, which is commonly the ONLY site of spread within a body. That's why it can makes sense to replace the liver in certain cases - and I am sure he will have been carefully evaluated for this.

For now we should wish him well and hope that he will be recovering fast. Again, the liver transplantation can offer a chance of cure in this situation - and that's I guess most important.
post #43 of 111
It might be too late now


Quote:
SANIBEL ISLAND, FL -- A Florida retiree battling cancer himself has discovered a possible method of killing cancerous cells with radio waves.

If it works, it could be the "Holy Grail" of cancer treatments.

His is the great American story. A broadcast engineer, who shrewdly evolves into the owner of several TV and radio stations, sells them for a bundle and retires early to picturesque Sanibel Island.

But Easter 2002, began an unexpected chapter in the story of John Kanzius, a year and-a-half after he retired. He was diagnosed with a severe form of leukemia.

Soon after receiving this news, Kanzius began his punishing chemotherapy and was heartbroken at its effects on fellow patients, especially children.

"There was one scene I could not forget and that was the young children came in with smiles and a week later see those smiles disappear and so forth and literally would watch them waste away," recalls Kanzius.

Necessity is the mother of invention and the need for a gentler treatment for those sick children proved a powerful motivator for Kanzius, a tinkerer, inventor and grandfather.

"We really haven't developed a better way other than going into people's veins and putting systemic drugs into them and hoping we kill the cancer before we kill the person," Kanzius says.

Kanzius wrestled with the idea of a better way and in the middle of the night in October 2003 inspiration struck: kill cancerous cells with radio waves.

"I had all the equipment that one could use for sending and picking up radio signals."

He was a ham radio operator.

Kanzius continues, "And all I needed in my house was antennas. And the best thing that worked as antennas at 3 o'clock in the morning was my wife's pie pans."

Startled out of bed by clattering in the kitchen, wife Marianne found her husband cutting up her pie pans.

"I got up and immediately thought he'd lost it," says Marianne Kanzius.

His idea might have sounded crazy but he wasn't. Here are the basics of his idea.

Radio waves for the most part are harmless but they will heat certain metals. Gold is one of those metals and was also previously FDA-approved for use in humans.

A lab provided Kanzius with what is essentially gold, broken down into the tiniest possible size. They're called nanoparticles.

These nanoparticles are injected into a cancer patient and are attracted to the abnormalities of the cancerous cells, attaching themselves to those bad cells. What's more, the nanoparticles ignore healthy cells.

The patient is then exposed to radio waves and only the bad cells heat up and die. The healthy cells, which have no metal on them, are not warmed up at all and are unaffected.

Early, crude experiments done on hot dogs in his garage seemed to work. In 2004, Kanzius showed the results to a prominent cancer researcher.

"He said, 'You know this is the most amazing thing I've ever read in my life,'" proudly recalls Kanzius.

Today Kanzius has several universities working on his research and a manufacturer now builds clinical-sized versions of the machine he first built with radio parts and his wife's pie pans.

This 62-year-old Florida retiree with no medical background whatsoever has grabbed the attention of the medical community.

"We could be getting close to grabbing the Holy Grail," says physician Dr. Dan Pulsipher.

Kanzius spends 70 hours of his retirement every week working on a cure, still motivated by those children he saw in chemotherapy.

"My best term scenario would be to watch a patient get treated and have a doctor tell them they're cured. To me, that would be all the thanks I would need."

Human trials are expected to begin in a couple of years.


I read somewhere else that rabbits treated with this method had 100% cure of cancer.

Somebody tell Steve.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_articl...?storyid=67742
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #44 of 111
Thank you Dr Agrothey for shedding sensible information on this situation.

I started reading about the liver transplant last night (PDT). Shocked even though Bloomberg reported the possibility a few months ago.

Praying for Steve and sending him well-wishes, healing vibrations, vibrant good health affirmations. Steve is an amazing genius towering over almost all mortal men. Often God gives these giants extreme tests and trials also. Can only send appreciation and strength and support.

Heal well and completely, Steve, and decades more thriving life on earth to you!
post #45 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

Were you a smoker?

He was a long time Windows user constantly yelling at his PC. Doctor told him had to get a Mac if expects to ever recover.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #46 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano_tube View Post

brucep, I hope you get over this man. I wish you good health and happiness.
Live long & prosper \\V/


Thank you. < \\V/ >


I was immersed in the world of cancer. I was at the sloan Kettering in NYC . ALL they do is cancer.

They did a triple chemo regimen that forced me in the hospital for weeks at a time, with arm infections and blood clots. The chemo side effects were real bad. But the docs were aggressive, they were in the hunt for my cancer cells, so they brought to the brink a few times.
Since it was in my neck throat area I still can't swallow so good. I am one of the lucky one's many can never ever swallow again, the radition blasts the whole area. For the moment the docs say I am cancer free, They will retest every 3 months. After 5 years I can say the word remission. Until then I hold my 2 kids very near me. 8 and 6 yrs old and they love anything apple. My son tommy whines about the dells in school being so slow. He is playing halo right now. We watch the APPLE TV ads all the time . All 3 yrs worth.


I am very lucky so many kind souls at that hospital were so much worse off than me. And the children never ever cried. Never ever! When I was getting 6 weeks of daily radition we had 3 kids coming in at the same time. The children were like bald rag dolls. So weak. SO fragile. Yet I could always engage them, NO THATS NOT TRUE I WAS at the end of my radition chemo treatment's and very near insane, It was the children who engaged me. They remembered my name when I was dribbling from the mouth. They laughed and joked with me and my sons . They were 100x more brave than me and 2 of the 3 sadly passed.

I never wanted to recount this here. But if ONE person quits smoking from this story then fine . I smoked for 35 yrs pot and ciggie;s. I was the cool Marlboro man. In truth smoking is more addictive than heroin. If you smoke please stop. I beg you. Please quit.

You are welcome to pm me or consult a doctor about quitting.


Now I will turn my prays to Steve Jobs and his extended family .
Get well soon dude .


9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #47 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

were you a smoker?

yes .


9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #48 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

LOL! I love how so many people on this site are know-it-alls. Not only do they know everything about electronics but now they know everything about cancer and a patient that they have never even met much less diagnosed!

Can you also see into the future?

You're absolutely right macsync!
I should never have posted this, I'm really sorry!
Aueua!
post #49 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrothey View Post

OK - here is more. I want to caution everyone, though, that I have at no time been involved in SJ's care and that I only gather information from what everyone else is reading - with my background as a medical oncologist who is actually treating patients with islet cell cancers like SJ.

Apple routinely mentioned an "hormonal imbalance" as reason for SJ's weight loss. Now, islet cell cancers can produce certain hormones (such as glucagon, somatostatin, vasoactive-intestinal peptide (VIP) etc) which can interfere with a normal gastrointestinal function and the way a body utilizes nutrients (carbohydrates, protein, fat). When an islet cell cancer recurs and produces liver metastases, these hormonal effects can lead to significant and rapid weight loss. Thus, it could well be that Apple's statements were somewhat true. Right now it does appear that SJ's tumor had spread to his liver, which is commonly the ONLY site of spread within a body. That's why it can makes sense to replace the liver in certain cases - and I am sure he will have been carefully evaluated for this.

For now we should wish him well and hope that he will be recovering fast. Again, the liver transplantation can offer a chance of cure in this situation - and that's I guess most important.

Dear agrothey I know it is hard for you to say these things being on the outside of the situation.
But you help us a little to understand steve possible plight . If you have more to add down the road come back to this thread. i will look for you .
Thank you for that.

peace

9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #50 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrothey View Post

OK - here is more. I want to caution everyone, though, that I have at no time been involved in SJ's care and that I only gather information from what everyone else is reading - with my background as a medical oncologist who is actually treating patients with islet cell cancers like SJ.

Apple routinely mentioned an "hormonal imbalance" as reason for SJ's weight loss. Now, islet cell cancers can produce certain hormones (such as glucagon, somatostatin, vasoactive-intestinal peptide (VIP) etc) which can interfere with a normal gastrointestinal function and the way a body utilizes nutrients (carbohydrates, protein, fat). When an islet cell cancer recurs and produces liver metastases, these hormonal effects can lead to significant and rapid weight loss. Thus, it could well be that Apple's statements were somewhat true. Right now it does appear that SJ's tumor had spread to his liver, which is commonly the ONLY site of spread within a body. That's why it can makes sense to replace the liver in certain cases - and I am sure he will have been carefully evaluated for this.

For now we should wish him well and hope that he will be recovering fast. Again, the liver transplantation can offer a chance of cure in this situation - and that's I guess most important.

Steve Jobs is one of the "lucky" ones. My father wasn't so lucky, he had the "typical" pancreatic cancer. He went from a tall, built, ex high school football player, purple heart ex marine to nothing. He would like me to rub his neck and back and I couldn't understand how he enjoyed it as i was rubbing his paper-like skin against his bones. He no longer had any fat or muscle.

I wish Steve all the best.
post #51 of 111
Aside from Steve Jobs's medical issues, it's pretty clear from the keynote presentation at the WWDC 2009 that Jobs has firmly installed a unique product development and marketing culture at all levels within Apple. No matter how actively Jobs resumes his management role, his legacy has been established. The management and troops continually outstrip the competition and even lead the marketplace with innovations that actually anticipate customer wants and needs. This six-month hiatus of sorts has been a great testing period. Snow Leopard, the 3G S, iPhone software v. 3, and the freshened notebook line all demonstrate that Apple's powerful momentum continues unabated. Apple customers, employees and investors have Steve Jobs to thank for it.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #52 of 111
Unfortunately, the information is likely true.

What bothers me is the timing. We had several bursts of media activity on SJ health already. Most of them turned out to be correct, but the timing suspiciously coincides with other [positive] Apple related news. Spreading FUD regarding SJ health either steals the spotlight from remarkable Apple new products/product launches or impressive financial results.

I might be paranoid but this does not mean my conspiracy theory is entirely wrong.

Really hope SJ will recover and stay with Apple for years to come.
post #53 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Early, crude experiments done on hot dogs in his garage seemed to work.

What the ..?? On hot dogs?

Well if it works out to be true than that's great. I look forward to the day cancer can be consistently cured.
post #54 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

He was a long time Windows user constantly yelling at his PC. Doctor told him had to get a Mac if expects to ever recover.

Making fun of other's illnesses?
Not cool.
post #55 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Thank you. < \\V/ >


I was immersed in the world of cancer. I was at the sloan Kettering in NYC . ALL they do is cancer.

They did a triple chemo regimen that forced me in the hospital for weeks at a time, with arm infections and blood clots. The chemo side effects were real bad. But the docs were aggressive, they were in the hunt for my cancer cells, so they brought to the brink a few times.
Since it was in my neck throat area I still can't swallow so good. I am one of the lucky one's many can never ever swallow again, the radition blasts the whole area. For the moment the docs say I am cancer free, They will retest every 3 months. After 5 years I can say the word remission. Until then I hold my 2 kids very near me. 8 and 6 yrs old and they love anything apple. My son tommy whines about the dells in school being so slow. He is playing halo right now. We watch the APPLE TV ads all the time . All 3 yrs worth.


I am very lucky so many kind souls at that hospital were so much worse off than me. And the children never ever cried. Never ever! When I was getting 6 weeks of daily radition we had 3 kids coming in at the same time. The children were like bald rag dolls. So weak. SO fragile. Yet I could always engage them, NO THATS NOT TRUE I WAS at the end of my radition chemo treatment's and very near insane, It was the children who engaged me. They remembered my name when I was dribbling from the mouth. They laughed and joked with me and my sons . They were 100x more brave than me and 2 of the 3 sadly passed.

I never wanted to recount this here. But if ONE person quits smoking from this story then fine . I smoked for 35 yrs pot and ciggie;s. I was the cool Marlboro man. In truth smoking is more addictive than heroin. If you smoke please stop. I beg you. Please quit.

You are welcome to pm me or consult a doctor about quitting.


Now I will turn my prays to Steve Jobs and his extended family .
Get well soon dude .


9

Bruce- My best to you. You're one of the few unbiased, funny guys around here.
Peace.
post #56 of 111
While I wish Jobs a complete and speedy recovery my first thought, which I have not seen anyone else mention here, is: how did he get to the head of the line so quickly? Many people die waiting for transplants or at least have to wait years
post #57 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonklers View Post

i'm sure they'll clone an organ for him, keep details secret, and he'll be around for a long long time.

iLiv

(This post has been artificially lengthened to comply with a five-character minimum.)
Journalism is publishing what someone doesn't want us to know; the rest is propaganda.
-Horacio Verbitsky (el perro), journalist (b. 1942)
Reply
Journalism is publishing what someone doesn't want us to know; the rest is propaganda.
-Horacio Verbitsky (el perro), journalist (b. 1942)
Reply
post #58 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Is this a true story ? How could something like this remain hidden ?

9

Chicken Liver ??
post #59 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcat View Post

While I wish Jobs a complete and speedy recovery my first thought, which I have not seen anyone else mention here, is: how did he get to the head of the line so quickly? Many people die waiting for transplants or at least have to wait years

important people gets priority. when anna lindh, who was swedens foreign minister, was stabbed by a psychopath, the entire blood bank of stockholm was emptied in the attempt to rescue her (though they did not succeed)
post #60 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Bruce- My best to you. You're one of the few unbiased, funny guys around here.
Peace.

thank you
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #61 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

It might be too late now

I read somewhere else that rabbits treated with this method had 100% cure of cancer.

Somebody tell Steve.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_articl...?storyid=67742

According to wikipedia, the inventor died recently from side effects of chemotherapy...
post #62 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

Steve Jobs is one of the "lucky" ones. My father wasn't so lucky, he had the "typical" pancreatic cancer. He went from a tall, built, ex high school football player, purple heart ex marine to nothing. He would like me to rub his neck and back and I couldn't understand how he enjoyed it as i was rubbing his paper-like skin against his bones. He no longer had any fat or muscle.

I wish Steve all the best.

Sorry bout your daddy .


9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #63 of 111
Despite all the bickering about what is really happening, I think we can all agree that Steve Jobs needs to get his sickly ass back in the workshop and pump us out a few new gadgets before he eats it.
post #64 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by imGayForSteveJobs View Post

Despite all the bickering about what is really happening, I think we can all agree that Steve Jobs needs to get his sickly ass back in the workshop and pump us out a few new gadgets before he eats it.

And clean up that abandoned house already.
We need him to introduce the new iPad.
Get well soon. Peace.
post #65 of 111
<edit out
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #66 of 111
Quote:
Not surprisingly, confirming any of these assertions proves difficult through Apple's tendency towards secrecy, and especially that of Steve Jobs, who has long expressed frustration with journalists and investors intruding into what he sees as a private matter.


The only way for the CEO of a large multinational company to escape public scrutiny is to resign or retire, after which he should enjoy a semi-private life. Otherwise, a CEO, especially "the highest paid CEO in America", must account for his whereabouts.

You can't have the billions in stock options and live in obscurity. Make a choice and come forward to explain it.


P.S.: Steve Jobs should probably retire "for medical reasons". Everyone would understand. Just like Craig Barrett at Intel, Steve Jobs could be named "Honorary Chairman" of Apple, a title which comes with no real obligations, and a position that he could use to show up at Apple "from time to time", using his prestige to inspire the young and eager.

I wish Steve Jobs the wisdom to know when to quit.


post #67 of 111
If this is a true report, I wish Steve and his family all the best of luck for the future. Steve has been truly inspirational to so many people since he co-founded Apple in 1976, and we can all hope that he regains good health soon. Whether he returns to Apple or not, his contribution to product innovation and design has been a truly remarkable. Good luck Steve.
post #68 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiseki View Post

I'm skeptical about this "news". If he really did suffer a relapse of his cancer, the last thing he'd want to do would be to get any kind of transplant. Cancer cells are formed in our bodies all the time but fortunately we have immune systems which destroy most of them and protect us.
If you get a transplant and take the required immunosuppressants, that's probably the worst thing for your cancer since you're removing your only innate protection against cancer cells.

Another thing about the liver is that it is one of the few regenerative organs in the body. You can actually remove most of a person's liver and it will grow back. Which means Jobs had such invasive cancer that he needed a liver transplant (instead of just cutting out the diseased parts), and there's no way his doctors would have let cancer progress to that stage without taking action long before.
It makes much more sense to believe his story that it was a metabolic problem and his liver had stopped functioning. In that case, it would make sense to get a transplant and his prognosis, barring side effects from the immunosuppressants should be pretty good.

Agreed.

It's worth noting also that the original source seems to have *not* mentioned "a resurgence of cancer" at all and that this perhaps just plays on the rampant speculation that's been going around to that effect.

Also, (and I say this every time Apple Insider publishes an article like this), the board was specifically asked about these issues at the time. If it turns out to be true that Steve had a resurgence of his cancer, then the board of directors has deliberately misled the stock holders and is in very deep trouble legally speaking. It would be fraud.

I don't believe that all those millionaires would risk their careers, their fortunes and possible jail-time to defend Steve Jobs' privacy.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
post #69 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiseki View Post

I'm skeptical about this "news". If he really did suffer a relapse of his cancer, the last thing he'd want to do would be to get any kind of transplant. Cancer cells are formed in our bodies all the time but fortunately we have immune systems which destroy most of them and protect us. If you get a transplant and take the required immunosuppressants, that's probably the worst thing for your cancer since you're removing your only innate protection against cancer cells.

Another thing about the liver is that it is one of the few regenerative organs in the body. You can actually remove most of a person's liver and it will grow back. Which means Jobs had such invasive cancer that he needed a liver transplant (instead of just cutting out the diseased parts), and there's no way his doctors would have let cancer progress to that stage without taking action long before.


I agree. The function of the immune system is to identify and destroy malfunctionning or foreign cells. The last thing a cancer patient needs is to turn off his immune system.

It would have made much more sense to remove a malfunctioning part of the liver and let the liver grow back on its own (or in a lab to be reimplanted later). But, Steve Jobs had a surgery 2 years ago, possibly to remove a cancerous growth. If true, Steve Jobs waited too long before his first, second and third surgeries. And the secrecy around everything never served Steve Jobs, because it is only another way to deny reality.


post #70 of 111
Get Well Steve




PS Is it an iLiver
post #71 of 111
I do not know. Maybe because it is illegal to disclose somebody's health information without that person's permission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Is this a true story ? How could something like this remain hidden ?

9
post #72 of 111
BS. The CEO of a public company works at the pleasure of the Board not the public shareholders. If the Board is satisfied that the CEO is performing his or her duties properly, that is all that is needed. Of course, if unhappy shareholders own enough shares they can get the Board members replaced.

Apple shareholders like Jobs. He has made them a lot of money. I doubt any long time holder of Apple stock is clamoring for Jobs to leave anytime before he is ready to leave. I know I am not. The company is being run well, Jobs gets a dollar a year, and he has already earned the shares he received [Jobs owns shares outright, not options].

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

The only way for the CEO of a large multinational company to escape public scrutiny is to resign or retire, after which he should enjoy a semi-private life. Otherwise, a CEO, especially "the highest paid CEO in America", must account for his whereabouts.

You can't have the billions in stock options and live in obscurity. Make a choice and come forward to explain it.


P.S.: Steve Jobs should probably retire "for medical reasons". Everyone would understand. Just like Craig Barrett at Intel, Steve Jobs could be named "Honorary Chairman" of Apple, a title which comes with no real obligations, and a position that he could use to show up at Apple "from time to time", using his prestige to inspire the young and eager.

I wish Steve Jobs the wisdom to know when to quit.


post #73 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

The company is being run well, Jobs gets a dollar a year, and he has already earned the shares he received [Jobs owns shares outright, not options].

Aren't there other significant perks too? I know he owns shares, but he doesn't also have options?
post #74 of 111
According to this:

http://www.hivandhepatitis.com/hep_c.../101306_c.html

"For men, median post-transplant survival was 18 years, compared with 27 for the general population"

so a loss of 9 years of life. That's for patients that made it past the first 6 months, in comparison to a control group with the same age distribution. The article also noted that for cancer patients the expected loss of years was greater... However, if poster agrothey is right that with Steve Job's rare type of cancer the removal of the liver is essentially a cure, then that may not be the case.

So it would seem that it's not unreasonable to expect that Mr. Jobs, who is now 53 and no doubt can afford the best care available, will make it to retirement age... if not longer.

I certainly hope he does...
post #75 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouragan View Post


I wish Steve Jobs the wisdom to know when to quit.



I wish that wisdom upon you.

(And, smoking is bad for your health.)
post #76 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

I agree. The function of the immune system is to identify and destroy malfunctionning or foreign cells. The last thing a cancer patient needs is to turn off his immune system.

It would have made much more sense to remove a malfunctioning part of the liver and let the liver grow back on its own (or in a lab to be reimplanted later). But, Steve Jobs had a surgery 2 years ago, possibly to remove a cancerous growth. If true, Steve Jobs waited too long before his first, second and third surgeries. And the secrecy around everything never served Steve Jobs, because it is only another way to deny reality.



"I am a moron. But I play doctor on anonymous forums."
post #77 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

"I am a moron. But I play doctor on anonymous forums."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouragan
I agree. The function of the immune system is to identify and destroy malfunctionning or foreign cells. The last thing a cancer patient needs is to turn off his immune system.

It would have made much more sense to remove a malfunctioning part of the liver and let the liver grow back on its own (or in a lab to be reimplanted later). But, Steve Jobs had a surgery 2 years ago, possibly to remove a cancerous growth. If true, Steve Jobs waited too long before his first, second and third surgeries. And the secrecy around everything never served Steve Jobs, because it is only another way to deny reality.



"I am a moron. But I play doctor on anonymous forums."

This is too funny ..lol
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #78 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Aren't there other significant perks too? I know he owns shares, but he doesn't also have options?

Steve has a plane that ran about 90 million. < i think >
He earns no salary
He has some stock options .
He still owns stock from before
Pixar made him very rich

His only perks may be the plane and a parking spot.

9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #79 of 111
Steve has set up a great executive team as his legacy. He can certainly walk away from Apple knowing that it is in good hands. I would like him back as much as anyone but I believe that may be asking for too much.

I'm sure he won't be back this month having a liver transplant two months ago. The recovery is much longer than that.

All the best and a quick recovery Steve!
post #80 of 111
Steve
I'm not going to add another "medical opinion" on your situation ... there's enough of that here already, much of which , I suspect, is without much merit. I just want to wish you the full, complete and speedy recovery that you deserve. Best wishes and God Bless.
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs' return to Apple linked to liver transplant