or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Biggest Threat to Obama's Health Care "Reform" - Reality

The Biggest Threat to Obama's Health Care "Reform" - Reality - Page 7

post #241 of 2360
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...lth-care-view/

Quote:
Calls to boycott Whole Foods Market are growing louder and more sophisticated following a Wall Street Journal opinion article by the company's chief executive, John Mackey, in which he criticized President Obama's health care plan and offered his own alternative.

Sheesh, people don't want solutions, they just want freebies...
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #242 of 2360
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...lth-care-view/

Sheesh, people don't want solutions, they just want freebies...

Oh look Faux News!

How does this :

Quote:
Sheesh, people don't want solutions, they just want freebies

logically connect to the article?
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #243 of 2360
The guy gives an opinion on why he does not like the current health care proposal and offers a fairly good alternative. His alternative would not cover all for "nothing". Now people are boycotting or threatening boycott for it. The note I made was in regards to the health care portion and how the simple suggestion that people might have to pay something could inspire a boycott.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #244 of 2360
Another dose of reality for the "Canada has great healthcare and everyone loves it" crowd:

Overhauling health-care system tops agenda at annual meeting of Canada's doctors

Quote:
The incoming president of the Canadian Medical Association says this country's health-care system is sick and doctors need to develop a plan to cure it.

Dr. Anne Doig says patients are getting less than optimal care and she adds that physicians from across the country - who will gather in Saskatoon on Sunday for their annual meeting - recognize that changes must be made.

"We all agree that the system is imploding, we all agree that things are more precarious than perhaps Canadians realize," Doing said in an interview with The Canadian Press.

"We know that there must be change," she said. "We're all running flat out, we're all just trying to stay ahead of the immediate day-to-day demands."

There it is, folks. Straight from the doctors.

Read the entire article.

They come right out and say that Canada's present health care system is unsustainable.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #245 of 2360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Another dose of reality for the "Canada has great healthcare and everyone loves it" crowd:

Overhauling health-care system tops agenda at annual meeting of Canada's doctors

There it is, folks. Straight from the doctors.

Read the entire article.

They come right out and say that Canada's present health care system is unsustainable.

It's called putting forth ideas to improve the system in a sane way.
Not the nuttiness, dishonesty going on in the US.
It is entertaining though.

From the article you linked to,
Quote:
"That's called looking at the evidence, looking at how care is delivered and how care is paid for all around us (and) then saying 'Well, OK, that's good information. How do we make all of that work in the Canadian context? What do the Canadian people want?' "

Which is what should be happening in the US.

What do Canadians want, support,
http://www.nupge.ca/node/2486
Quote:
Ottawa (13 Aug. 2009) - A new poll on the eve of the Canadian Medical Association's national convention in Saskatoon shows an overwhelming 86% level of public support for "public solutions" to improve Canada's national health care system.

I never said anywhere our system is without problems, but I'd never trade our way for yours.
post #246 of 2360
Quote:
Originally Posted by screener View Post

Not the nuttiness, dishonesty going on in the US.
It is entertaining though.

Some guy showed up at one of Obama's talks carrying a semi-automatic weapon:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...ama-scene.html

I'm so glad I live in a country where I don't have to worry about insurance and I certainly don't have to worry about idots feeling a need to express themselves with a weapon of mass-murder.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #247 of 2360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I'm so glad I live in a country where I don't have to worry about insurance and I certainly don't have to worry about idots feeling a need to express themselves with a weapon of mass-murder.

I live in Arizona. Arizona is an open carry state. This man was exercising his rights. If that makes him an idiot in your eyes, that's what's really disturbing.

post #248 of 2360
Quote:

Good for him. He's exercising his rights. And, look, no one got shot.

Oh and CNN is making the most of this by continuing to misinform the public: http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/08/...fle/index.html

It very likely is not an "assault rifle". An assault rifle is a specific military designation for a rifle that has the capability to switch from semi-auto, to a "burst" mode to a fully automatic mode. Civilians generally cannot get these.
post #249 of 2360
Quote:

Your four times more likely to die from a gun if you own one than if you don't. So don't worry, their numbers are falling.

* I'm not actually against people owning guns, but I'm for sensible gun laws.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #250 of 2360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Your four times more likely to die from a gun if you own one than if you don't. So don't worry, their numbers are falling.

* I'm not actually against people owning guns, but I'm for sensible gun laws.

I expect the entire country of Switzerland will be gone within the decade!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #251 of 2360
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Yeah, and what about people like police, FBI, etc.?

There must be something more to that statistic. Either it is 100% Pure Made Up Bullshit or there are additional factors being omitted. What's that old saying...lies, damn lies and statistics...
post #252 of 2360
Quote:

What?
post #253 of 2360
Quote:
Originally Posted by involuntary_serf View Post

Yeah, and what about people like police, FBI, etc.?

There must be something more to that statistic. Either it is 100% Pure Made Up Bullshit or there are additional factors being omitted. What's that old saying...lies, damn lie and statistics...

I don't doubt that guns sometimes saves life's in the hands of citizens. But lets face it that must happen only very occasionally.

~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7c3V7jT1KQ
post #254 of 2360
U.K. Woman gives birth on pavement 'after being refused ambulance'

Quote:
Ms Blake said she started going into labour at about 7.15am on Sunday, August 2.

She said: "I phoned up the Royal Infirmary, it's just across the road, and they said to go into a hot bath, and then to make my way over there.

"I went into the bath and realised she was going to come quickly. I didn't think I'd be able to make it out of the bath, so I phoned the maternity ward back and told them to get an ambulance out.

'They said they were not sending an ambulance and told me I had had nine months to sort out a lift.'

At least it's "free", right?

There are a lot of interesting comments in the comments section of the article, too.

post #255 of 2360
Quote:

U.K. Woman gives birth on pavement 'after being refused ambulance'

At least it's "free", right?

There are a lot of interesting comments in the comments section of the article, too.

That's how we treat our women here in the UK. If they don't like it they can move abroad. We don't need them anyway.
post #256 of 2360
Quote:

From info at other sites, his group of enthusiasts let the police know what he was going to do, hence the close presence of police officers.

Then you have this guy,
http://www.examiner.com/x-18527-Brow...ree-of-liberty
Quote:
There has been much discussion of the sign being held up by the man outside Obamas town hall yesterday who also happened to have a loaded pistol strapped to his thigh. The sign read, ITS TIME TO WATER THE TREE OF LIBERTY.

Obviously lifted from a Jefferson letter.
The full sentence reads,
Quote:
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants.

I imagine he's on a watch list, the dumb fuck.

Wasn't Tim McVeigh wearing this on a t-shirt before delivering the truck bomb?
post #257 of 2360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

What?

Google that country and guns.

post #258 of 2360
Thousands of surgeries may be cut in Metro Vancouver, leaked paper reveals

Quote:
Vancouver patients needing neurosurgery, treatment for vascular diseases and other medically necessary procedures can expect to wait longer for care, NDP health critic Adrian Dix said Monday.

Dix said a Vancouver Coastal Health Authority document shows it is considering chopping more than 6,000 surgeries in an effort to make up for a dramatic budgetary shortfall that could reach $200 million.

This hasnt been announced by the health authority but these cuts are coming, Dix said, citing figures gleaned from a leaked executive summary of proposed VCH surgical reductions.

The health authority confirmed the document is genuine, but said it represents ideas only.

It is a planning document. It has not been approved or implemented, said spokeswoman Anna Marie DAngelo.

Dr. Brian Brodie, president of the BC Medical Association, called the proposed surgical cuts a nightmare.

Why would you begin your cost-cutting measures on medically necessary surgery? I just cant think of a worse place, Brodie said.

According to the leaked document, Vancouver Coastal which oversees the budget for Vancouver General and St. Pauls hospitals, among other health-care facilities is looking to close nearly a quarter of its operating rooms starting in September and to cut 6,250 surgeries, including 24 per cent of cases scheduled from September to March and 10 per cent of all medically necessary elective procedures this fiscal year.

The plan proposes cutbacks to neurosurgery, ophthalmology, vascular surgery, and 11 other specialized areas.

As many of 112 full-time jobs including 13 anesthesiologist positions would be affected by the reductions, the document says.

Clearly this will impact the capacity of the health-care system to provide care, not just now but in the future, Dix said.

Further reductions in surgeries are scheduled during the Olympics, when the health authority plans to close approximately a third of its operating rooms.

Two weeks ago, Dix released a Fraser Health Authority draft communications plan listing proposed clinical care cuts, including a 10-per-cent cut in elective surgeries and longer waits for MRI scans.

The move comes after the province acknowledged all health authorities together will be forced to cut staff, limit some services and increase fees to find $360 million in savings during the current fiscal year.

In all, Fraser Health is looking at a $160-million funding shortfall.

DAngelo said Vancouver Coastals deficit is closer to $90 million almost a third of which ($23 million) has already been absorbed through reductions in non-clinical administration efficiencies.

Vancouver Coastal performed 67,000 surgeries last year, an increase of 6,500 surgeries over 2007.

What has now happened is that now our wait times are about 25 per cent lower than the provincial average, DAngelo said. We have put a dent in that wait list.

Brodie acknowledged surgical waiting times have dropped significantly in recent years, particularly for patients needing hip and joint replacements.

He said the proposed cuts threaten those advancements.

It sounds like we are going backwards here, he said.

Total health spending in British Columbia was $15.7 billion this year, up about four per cent over last years total of 15.1 billion, according to figures provided by the ministry of health.

Health Minister Kevin Falcon was unavailable for comment Monday on the proposed health-care cuts. A ministry spokesman said Falcon is away on his honeymoon until the end of August.

Elsewhere in British Columbia, the province will look to replace the head of the Interior Health Authority, Murray Ramsden, after he announced he will step down at the end of the year.

Ramsden has said his decision to retire is not related to financial problems faced by the authority.

This is what we can look forward to if the government controls health care. It's just one more budget item to the government. The problem is that it's not only dollars at stake, but human lives.

post #259 of 2360
Quote:

I live in Arizona. Arizona is an open carry state. This man was exercising his rights. If that makes him an idiot in your eyes, that's what's really disturbing.

He just happened to be exercising his rights outside a town hall where the President was about to speak.

And he just happened to be demonstrating against that President while carrying a poster referencing Jefferson's "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Of course the one has nothing to do with the other.

And if I just happen to keep showing up outside the house of my Arizonan ex-girlfriend with a very visible weapon, she should have no reason to be alarmed either. It's my constitutional right.

post #260 of 2360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post

He just happened to be exercising his rights outside a town hall where the President was about to speak.

And he just happened to be demonstrating against that President while carrying a poster referencing Jefferson's "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

That's the neat thing about rights, you can exercise them even when you're around the president. At least for now.
post #261 of 2360
Quote:

And if I just happen to keep showing up outside the house of my Arizonan ex-girlfriend with a very visible weapon, she should have no reason to be alarmed either. It's my constitutional right.

The dumb Fuck wearing the T-shirt was at a New Hampshire Town Hall.
post #262 of 2360
Quote:

And? Did he open fire on innocent people? No. Did he break the law? No. Was he the only one who brought a gun to the demonstration? No. Was there a mass shooting at this demonstration? No.

He didn't provoke anyone. He didn't threaten anyone. He didn't point it at anyone.

Can people own guns in this country and not be murdering lunatics? Yes.

In this country and this state he has a right to do what he did.

The 2nd Amendment guarantees the 1st Amendment. He was exercising his rights under both amendments.

post #263 of 2360
Quote:

He didn't provoke anyone. He didn't threaten anyone.

He was holding a fucking poster that said "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Quote:

He didn't provoke anyone. He didn't threaten anyone.

Did he expect to have to use his gun to prevent a crime? No. Did he expect to have to use his gun to repel attacks from sleeper cells of British soldiers bent on preserving George III's empire? No.

For heaven's sake.

You should be fucking ashamed of yourself for defending this perversion of the sprit of America's founding documents.
post #264 of 2360
Quote:

He was holding a fucking poster that said "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Yes. It's a quote. And it's his right to have a poster and express his opinions.

Quote:

Did he expect to have to use his gun to prevent a crime? No. Did he expect to have to use his gun to repel attacks from sleeper cells of British soldiers bent on preserving George III's empire? No.

It doesn't really matter. He doesn't have to justify the exercise of his rights with you, me or anyone else.

Quote:

You should be fucking ashamed of yourself for defending this perversion of the sprit of the Bill of Rights.

We've sure come a long way from the spirit of "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".
post #265 of 2360
Quote:

Google that country and guns.

So in other words an American shouldn't be trusted with a gun and a Swiss should.
post #266 of 2360
Quote:

For heaven's sake.

You should be fucking ashamed of yourself for defending this perversion of the sprit of America's founding documents.

No need to use profanity. There never is.

Bearing arms is a crime? Holding a poster is a crime? Who is perverting the spirit of America's founding documents?

post #267 of 2360
Quote:

We've sure come a long way from the spirit of "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

He's a dumb fuck regardless.
I wonder if he knew Mcveigh was wearing the same quote on the day of the bombing.
I wonder if the dumb fuck knows he's probably on a watch list.
I wonder if he cares about the money it'll cost to keep an eye on him.

Because he's a dumb fuck, the answer most likely is no.
post #268 of 2360
Quote:

He's a dumb fuck regardless.

You've made your opinion and disdain for his position clear.

Quote:

I wonder if he knew Mcveigh was wearing the same quote on the day of the bombing.

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

Quote:

I wonder if the dumb fuck knows he's probably on a watch list.

Indeed that's a risk under a tyrannical government.

Quote:

I wonder if he cares about the money it'll cost to keep an eye on him.

Yes, that's one of the prices we're forced to pay for the upkeep of tyranny.
post #269 of 2360
Quote:

Cunt. Balls. Piss. Shit. Jesus Christ masturbating on the cross to a photograph of Ron Paul nude. Ronald Reagan was a fucking mollusc-faced prick, and a stupid cunt.

I'm allowed to say these things on this board. It's my right. It's in the rules. You have no right to object. It's my right. How dare you be offended. How dare you suggest I'm not observing the sprit of the rules.

Quote:

Bearing arms is a crime? Holding a poster is a crime? Who is perverting the spirit of America's founding documents?

You are pretending that this man was coincidentally bearing a visible firearm whilst coincidentally holding a poster with Jefferson's words about shedding the blood of tyrants whilst coincidentally demonstrating at an event the President was attending and that he was only exercising his constitutional rights for the sake of it. And that is dishonest.
post #270 of 2360
Quote:

Cunt. Balls. Piss. Shit. Jesus Christ masturbating on the cross to a photograph of Ron Paul nude. Ronald Reagan was a fucking mollusc-faced prick, and a stupid cunt.

I'm allowed to say these things on this board. It's my right. It's in the rules.

Maybe you should read them more carefully:

Quote:
1. The right (if you are an American citizen) to free speech as guaranteed by the 1st amendment to the U.S. Constitution does not apply when posting at this message board. AppleInsider is a privately owned and operated forum. Posters are allowed a great deal of flexibility in their posts, but be respectful of other members and the guidelines.

5. Sexually graphic or otherwise offensive material is strictly forbidden. AppleInsider will strive to maintain a work-friendly and family-friendly environment in regards to pornography and hate-speech. These cases are up to the discretion of the moderators and administrators. Pursuant to this, toilet humor is not tolerated. It is expected that the membership can conduct themselves with enough maturity to avoid such idiocy.

7. While foul language is tolerated to a certain extent, profanity in the title of threads is not allowed. Excessive, unnecessary use of profanity (again, at the moderators' discretion) is not welcome.

12. The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleInsider is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose, edit (before and after posting), find or research links, and count to a hundred if you're angry. Use it.

Quote:

You have no right to object.

Sure he does.
post #271 of 2360
Quote:

Maybe you should read them more carefully:

Sure he does.

Cunt. Balls. Piss. Shit. Pissflaps. Beef curtains.

I'm just exercising my right to use "tolerated" foul language.

Why do you hate my freedom? Why are you acting like a tyrant?
post #272 of 2360
Quote:

I'm allowed to say these things on this board. It's my right. It's in the rules. You have no right to object.

I expected such a reaction. Quite predictable. And sad, really.

I have every right to object. I have no right to force you to stop.

Quote:
You are pretending that this man was coincidentally bearing a visible firearm whilst coincidentally holding a poster with Jefferson's words about shedding the blood of tyrants whilst coincidentally demonstrating at an event the President and that he was only exercising his constitutional rights for the sake of it. And that is dishonest.

There you go, trying to determine this guy's intent.

In today's political climate, he could have been planted there by some left-wing organization. We don't really know, do we?

What we do know is that he did not break any state or federal laws and that he had every right to do what he did. The rest is propaganada and politicization of the incident by those on both sides of the argument.

post #273 of 2360
Quote:

Cunt. Balls. Piss. Shit. Pissflaps. Beef curtains.

I'm just exercising my right to use "tolerated" foul language.

Good for you. There's a place for posters like you.

Quote:

Why do you hate my freedom?

I don't.

Quote:

Why are you acting like a tyrant?

If pointing out the rule is "tyranny" then your idea of "tyranny" is pretty weak and ill-informed.
post #274 of 2360
Quote:

I expected such a reaction. Quite predictable. And sad, really.

I have every right to object. I have no right to force you to stop.

And yet you see no irony, when the stakes are infinitely higher, touching on the physical safety of the President, to telling me I have no right to object to a man carrying a visible weapon whilst holding a poster printed with Jefferson's words.

Quote:

In today's political climate, he could have been planted there by some left-wing organization. We don't really know, do we?

The ten minute interview he gave on national television is a bit of a give away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XflE0RMiIiA

Quote:

What we do know is that he did not break any state or federal laws and that he had every right to do what he did. The rest is propaganada and politicization of the incident by those on both sides of the argument.

No. It is not. He was holding a fucking poster that said "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
post #275 of 2360
Quote:

Good for you. There's a place for posters like you.

I don't.

If pointing out the rule is "tyranny" then your idea of "tyranny" is pretty weak and ill-informed.

And America is in no danger at all of tyranny outside of Glen Beck's mind.

Edit: Cunt. Piss. Shit.

Just exercising my right to use tolerated bad language. A little like that protester simply exercising his right to bear a visible firearm at an event attended by the president whilst holding a poster defending civil violence, you might say.
post #276 of 2360
Quote:

And yet you see no irony, when the stakes are infinitely higher, touching on the physical safety of the President, to telling me I have no right to object to a man carrying a visible weapon whilst holding a poster printed with Jefferson's words.

No one said you don't have a right to object. It is when that objection becomes the pretext for forcible action to stop someone from exercising their rights that a line is crossed.

Quote:

Which is his right.
post #277 of 2360
Quote:

And America is in no danger at all of tyranny outside of Glen Beck's mind.

Perhaps. But if we have watch lists (we do) perhaps we're closer than you might think.

Quote:

Just exercising my right to use tolerated bad language.

Good for you. But you might want to check with the moderators to find out whether that language actually is tolerated.
post #278 of 2360
Quote:

No one said you don't have a right to object. It is when that objection becomes the pretext for forcible action to stop someone from exercising their rights that a line is crossed.

When has this happened? Who is proposing that this should happen?

Why are you OK with someone threatening the person of the president?

Quote:

Which is his right.

I sincerely fucking hope cunt piss shit balls that you don't report my foul fucking language Ron Paul is a CUNT to the moderator.
post #279 of 2360
Quote:

I sincerely fucking hope cunt piss shit balls that you don't report my foul fucking language Ron Paul is a CUNT to the moderator.

I won't. In fact I'd prefer that it all stayed.
post #280 of 2360
Quote:

Perhaps. But if we have watch lists (we do) perhaps we're closer than you might think.

Good for you. But you might want to check with the moderators to find out whether that language actually is tolerated.

Ah. Apologies.

America is in no danger of tyranny outside the minds of Glen Beck and involuntary_serf.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Biggest Threat to Obama's Health Care "Reform" - Reality