or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Biggest Threat to Obama's Health Care "Reform" - Reality

The Biggest Threat to Obama's Health Care "Reform" - Reality - Page 14

post #521 of 2360
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

You're right Frank. We should cut all that "social safety net" jazz and let the poor harvest.... some stuff.....from the edges of some other stuff. The frozen food aisle, maybe.

The point he is making is that they still work for the stuff they get. They don't sit at home and have the harvest come to them.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #522 of 2360
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

The point he is making is that they still work for the stuff they get. They don't sit at home and have the harvest come to them.

I can't stand how poor people just lay around with their hands out!
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #523 of 2360
Quote:

Yeah, that's the problem. All those welfare queens sitting on their asses raking in their time limited, extremely modest stipends.

And that 10% unemployment rate? Pure laziness. And people winding up indigent because of disastrous, crushing medical expenses? Are there not poor houses?

There aren't? Well, Jesus says let's get that 19th century in gear, people!
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #524 of 2360
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

I can't stand how poor people just lay around with their hands out!

Yeah, because that was what I was saying right there... Sometimes people just look for the snide remark rather than asking for clarification.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #525 of 2360
Quote:

Are there not poor houses?

There aren't? Well, Jesus says let's get that 19th century in gear, people!

/me steps into pedant mode: do you want houses modeled on the old poor laws or the new poor laws?
post #526 of 2360
Quote:

They don't all just sit at home, some go out stealing stuff too and that sometimes involves violence and at a bare minimum taking the risk of being shot or imprisoned. It's probably fair to say that lack of funds often makes them depressed and deprived, especially their children. What probably needs to happen, particularly in the US where their lives are especially miserable, is that those who for one reason or another are unable to find suitable employment should be paid a fair and livable amount of money. Society does very well for most people and leaving the bottom in poverty is the wrong way to deal with the inevitability of large numbers of unemployed people. It's a complex issue, but I lean more to that than depriving the deprived even more.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #527 of 2360
Quote:

Yeah, because that was what I was saying right there... Sometimes people just look for the snide remark rather than asking for clarification.

You know, you're right. When you wrote "They don't sit at home and have the harvest come to them," you weren't implying that the poor are lazy bastards who sit around with their hands out. You were clearly stating that the poor are honorable and hardworking folks who are down on their luck.
post #528 of 2360
Quote:

You know, you're right. When you wrote "They don't sit at home and have the harvest come to them," you weren't implying that the poor are lazy bastards who sit around with their hands out. You were clearly stating that the poor are honorable and hardworking folks who are down on their luck.

I am merely interpreting the statement by Frank777 and now I am a hater of the poor? \

There is a lot of pent up anger in these forums.

Let me ask a question. Do you believe people who can work and have nothing preventing them from doing so should not be asked to?
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #529 of 2360
Quote:

/me steps into pedant mode: do you want houses modeled on the old poor laws or the new poor laws?

Awe, fuck it, can't we just conscript them and send them to fight in some hell hole? If they're too young, old or sick to fight, well, those new drugs aren't going to test themselves.

The point is, they'll feel a lot better about themselves, once they making a contribution.
post #530 of 2360
Quote:

I am merely interpreting the statement by Frank777 and now I am a hater of the poor? \

Let me ask a question. Do you believe people who can work and have nothing preventing them from doing so should not be asked to?

Not so fast.

When you said "They don't sit at home and have the harvest come to them," do you deny that you are painting an image of the poor as literally sitting on their asses while the fruits of others' labor is handed to them?
post #531 of 2360
Quote:

Why are we working with hypotheticals? We have a system that expects people to seek work to get even the modicum of social services we offer.

Of course, given the economy, that little "nothing preventing them" has a bit of a kick to it.
post #532 of 2360
Quote:

What your really saying is "starve them out of their holes". There are lots of people who are not in work who have malnourished children in the US (including those who actually work, earning close to or the minimum wage). Why should a huge portion of society live in abject poverty because some are making huge profits by limiting their workforce and paying minimum wages? Society and those impoverished, would be a lot better off it gave those people a decent livable amount. Not to is criminal.
post #533 of 2360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

What your really saying is "starve them out of their holes".

Bah! Everyone knows that only the laziest of poor people can afford holes!

And adda? Please note. Hands is suggesting that NoahJ is suggesting that we adopt the NEW poor laws.
post #534 of 2360
Quote:

What your really saying is "starve them out of their holes". There are lots of people who are not in work who have malnourished children in the US (including those who actually work, earning close to or the minimum wage). Why should a huge portion of society live in abject poverty because some are making huge profits by limiting their workforce and paying minimum wages? Society and those impoverished, would be a lot better off it gave those people a decent livable amount. Not to is criminal.

You answer my question and I will answer your follow up. Promise. Simple yes or no.

Addabox appears to be for having the person who is able to work do so, or at least to acknowledge that they do have to work to get what benefits they do now. Apparently the fact that they have to work is due to changes that Clinton signed into law. Yes, work is hard to come by right now, and I will not deny that, nor have I. I was truly dealing in hypothetical situations as I am not really interested in arguing this out, too much raw feelings to get any understanding from people on the subject.

Tell what you think and you get painted with a very broad brush, whether true or not.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #535 of 2360
Quote:

Bah! Everyone knows that only the laziest of poor people can afford holes!

And adda? Please note. Hands is suggesting that NoahJ is suggesting that we adopt the NEW poor laws.

"New poor laws"? Enlighten me.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #536 of 2360
Quote:

"New poor laws"? Enlighten me.

http://tinyurl.com/m922em
post #537 of 2360
Quote:

http://tinyurl.com/m922em

Cute. Not what I am talking about, but I liked that page.

I figured you had something in mind for what I was apparently advocating. Since you don't want to be up front about it it is not important to follow up on.

For the record, I am not advocating any changes. Mostly just asking questions and participating in a discussion here.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #538 of 2360
Quote:

Mostly just asking questions and participating in a discussion here.

You never answered my question.
post #539 of 2360
Quote:

Society and those impoverished, would be a lot better off it gave those people a decent livable amount. Not to is criminal.

What is wrong with them earning their living in the same manner as I do?

It's criminal to expect me to be responsible for making someone else's lot in life easier than my own.
post #540 of 2360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

It's criminal to expect me to be responsible for making someone else's lot in life easier than my own.

Who is suggesting that?
post #541 of 2360
Quote:

You never answered my question.

Not so fast.

When you said "They don't sit at home and have the harvest come to them," do you deny that you are painting an image of the poor as literally sitting on their asses while the fruits of others' labor is handed to them?

I do deny that, as I was not painting any image I was interpreting Frank777's post.

In case you forgot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777

...Note that the poor still had to get to the fields early and engage in serious, daily work to personally support themselves and their families. The raw product is left for the poor to pick up, no one is violating personal property to "get what they need". ...

So my interpretation of a post by Frank777 is not me painting anything but Frank777's post. If he disagrees with my interpretation he is free to tell me and the rest of you so.

When I do post my opinion you can feel free to question me on it.

Oh, and sorry, I found your post earlier talking about new and old poor laws. Did not follow them as they did not seem to be adding to the discussion I was following. I can now see what you meant if I wanted to. Thanks.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #542 of 2360
Quote:

Who is suggesting that?

Anyone who suggests that I need to be responsible for someone else's sustenance.

Since I became an adult, the only thing I've gotten in this life is what I earned.
post #543 of 2360
Quote:

I do deny that, as I was not painting any image I was interpreting Frank777's post. . . . So my interpretation of a post by Frank777 is not me painting anything but Frank777's post. If he disagrees with my interpretation he is free to tell me and the rest of you so.

You actually wrote the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ

The first part is clearly a restatement of Frank666's post. You're saying that the second bit there isn't you adding to it? You're saying that that's just more clarification for us dolts who weren't following along, and that it is not, as it might otherwise appear, a statement of what you actually think about this subject? If it isn't your position, then why did you add this new image of the poor waiting to have the "harvest come to them"? This is your image, not Frank666's, since Frank666 clarified what the gleaning meanta subject that most certainly has nothing to do with a "harvest" being provided to the poor.

Quote:
When I do post my opinion you can feel free to question me on it.

Is there anything else I need permission for?

Quote:
Oh, and sorry, I found your post earlier talking about new and old poor laws. Did not follow them as they did not seem to be adding to the discussion I was following. I can now see what you meant if I wanted to. Thanks.

Glad you caught up with us.
post #544 of 2360
Quote:

The first part is clearly a restatement of Frank666's post. You're saying that the second bit there isn't you adding to it?

That is what I am saying.
Quote:
You're saying that that's just more clarification for us dolts who weren't following along, and that it is not, as it might otherwise appear, a statement of what you actually think about this subject? If it isn't your position, then why did you add this new image of the poor waiting to have the "harvest come to them"? This is your image, not Frank666's, since Frank666 clarified what the gleaning meanta subject that most certainly has nothing to do with a "harvest" being provided to the poor.

If you disagree with my interpretation then that is your right. Pretending that I am saying that any on this board are idiots is completely in your on mind. You are touchy on that it seems as evidenced by your next statement.

Quote:
Is there anything else I need permission for?

Does it matter?

Quote:
Glad you caught up with us.

Me too, after all being stupid like I am it takes me a minute to keep up with you intelligent types... \
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #545 of 2360
Quote:

Anyone who suggests that I need to be responsible for someone else's sustenance.

Let me get this straight. You are claiming that if you are required to help out with someone's subsistence living, that would be tantamount to "making someone else's lot in life easier than my own"? And you're arguing with me on an Apple discussion forum while you are simultaneously claiming that you are only barely sustaining your own life?

Seriously?

Look, if you think poor folks should fuck off and rot, just say it. But don't try to argue that somehow welfare would make their lives better than your Mac-owning, internet-having own.

Now, certainly, you could certainly be a homeless person chatting with me from a public library somewhere, to which I can only respond GET A FUCKING JOB YOU LAZY BASTARD AND QUIT WASTING MY TAX DOLLARS SURFING THE WEB.
post #546 of 2360
Quote:

Since I became an adult, the only thing I've gotten in this life is what I earned.

With all due respect, that's nonsense. Your life, like every life on the planet, is shaped by a mix of birth, coincidence, luck, effort, ability, geography and all the people around you.

The idea that any single person is entirely responsible for outcomes is the purest hubris. You could be hit by a car tomorrow and become unemployable, uninsured and facing medical bills that would keep you in debt for the rest of your life.

In your world, a person in that circumstance should simply be discarded, since they've lost the only quality you appear to value: the ability to fend for one's self.

In that, you have my sympathy.
post #547 of 2360
Quote:

Let me get this straight. You are claiming that if you are required to help out with someone's subsistence living, that would be tantamount to "making someone else's lot in life easier than my own"? And you're arguing with me on an Apple discussion forum while you are simultaneously claiming that you are only barely sustaining your own life?

Sure. Isn't having something handed to you easier than earning it yourself?

Sheesh, that's painfully obvious.

And the "fuck off and rot" is crap. I suggest they work hard and earn their living. They get a free education in this country - use it, put it to use. If they refuse to do that, well, yeah, then they can fuck off and die, for all I care.
Quote:
The idea that any single person is entirely responsible for outcomes is the purest hubris. You could be hit by a car tomorrow and become unemployable, uninsured and facing medical bills that would keep you in debt for the rest of your life.

And I could die from a heart attack and go in a second - who should take responsibility for that? It's life, get a clue - you're born, you work hard, then you die. If you can have a bit of entertainment between here and there, great! If not, oh well, such is life.

In fact, facing the possibility you outlined, I should save for that as a possible eventuality and taking from me to hand to another increases my risk.
Quote:
In your world, a person in that circumstance should simply be discarded

If they don't scratch their living from the earth, same as me, then that's their responsibility. They discard themselves.
post #548 of 2360
Quote:

And the "fuck off and rot" is crap. I suggest they work hard and earn their living. They get a free education in this country - use it, put it to use. If they refuse to do that, well, yeah, then they can fuck off and die, for all I care.

Who are "they"? Can you describe one? Do you know any?
post #549 of 2360
Quote:

That is what I am saying.

If that is what you are saying, then why did you add this image of the poor person waiting to be handed the harvest? That was your image of the poor added on to Frank666's. Was that an accident? Did your fingers slip on the keyboard and accidentally type that bit?

Quote:
Me too, after all being stupid like I am it takes me a minute to keep up with you intelligent types... \

Pretending that I am saying that any on this board are idiots is completely in your own mind.
post #550 of 2360
Quote:

If that is what you are saying, then why did you add this image of the poor person waiting to be handed the harvest? That was your image of the poor added on to Frank666's. Was that an accident? Did your fingers slip on the keyboard and accidentally type that bit?

Pretending that I am saying that any on this board are idiots is completely in your own mind.

When you are ready to treat me with respect in a conversation we can continue. I have tried to do so with you. If I have offended you it is unintentional and I apologize.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #551 of 2360
Quote:

That was not the question. You clearly claimed that helping the poor beyond anything but a bare subsistence living was to make them better off than you are. Is that true? Are you an unemployed homeless person arguing with me from a public library somewhere? If you are GO GET A FUCKING JOB AND QUIT WASTING TIME ARGUING ON OBSCURE DISCUSSION FORUMS YOU LAZY BASTARD!
post #552 of 2360
Quote:

Well I guess we all know where you stand.

Everybody has a potential to fall into a place they don't want to be ( homeless etc. ). You'd be surprised to find out how easily it can happen. More and more people are becoming more aware of this all the time. It's one of the reasons the last election went like it did.

Sometimes getting out of the fix means being in the right place at the right time ( or a helping hand ). Sometimes this can be just an opportunity that you wouldn't normally have.

I'd think about that a bit even though you may consider yourself impervious.

Your not. None of us are.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #553 of 2360
Quote:

Who are "they"? Can you describe one? Do you know any?

"They" are the topic of the discussion. Haven't you been keeping up?

Quote:

Do you believe people who can work and have nothing preventing them from doing so should not be asked to?

People that can work and have nothing preventing them from doing so.

sheesh, focus!
post #554 of 2360
Quote:

When you are ready to treat me with respect in a conversation we can continue. I have tried to do so with you. If I have offended you it is unintentional and I apologize.

NoahJ, since my return to PO, I have simply mirrored your tone. When you are condescending, I am condescending. When you are civil, I am civil. You are perfectly free to take your ball and go home. I cannot make you respond to me. I would be remiss, however, if I didn't point out that this is the second time in a week that you have decided, once i put your feet to the fire, that you weren't going to continue the conversation.

At any rate, you didn't answer my question. Why did you amplify Frank666's description of the gleaning by suggesting that the poor do not want simply the scraps from the edges of the field, but the whole harvest brought to them?
post #555 of 2360
Quote:

NoahJ, since my return to PO, I have simply mirrored your tone.

You have GOT to be kidding!

I know neither one of you and really don't care either way, but that statement is totally false.
post #556 of 2360
Quote:

NoahJ, since my return to PO, I have simply mirrored your tone. When you are condescending, I am condescending. When you are civil, I am civil. You are perfectly free to take your ball and go home. I cannot make you respond to me. I would be remiss, however, if I didn't point out that this is the second time in a week that you have decided, once i put your feet to the fire, that you weren't going to continue the conversation.

At any rate, you didn't answer my question. Why did you amplify Frank666's description of the gleaning by suggesting that the poor do not want simply the scraps from the edges of the field, but the whole harvest brought to them?

Any tone is not intended and unfortunately is truly you reading into what I am saying. I have purposely held myself back from lashing out through multiple edits of posts and thinking how they might be interpreted by others. Honestly the ones that wrap you up the tightest confuse me as they really do not seem that controversial.

And to answer once more. It was only an interpretation. Amplified or not, interpreting is all it was.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #557 of 2360
Quote:

You betcha. Get out of momma's basement, get a haircut, and lower yourself to work at McDonalds. You're not too good, and there's a sign on the door that says they're hiring.

edit: And you need to read a bit closer - I didn't say it would make them "better off", I said it would make their lot in life easier than mine.

Let's take a look, then.

Here's the post in question.

If helping the poor would make their "lot in life easier" than yours, then you must be poorer than the poor, since if you were not poorer than the poor, their lot in life would not be easier than yours. If you are poorer than the people whom your money would be helping, they you must be some kind of homeless person chatting with me from a library computer, in which case GO GET A JOB AND QUIT WASTING TIME ARGUING WITH ME ON A FORUM.
post #558 of 2360
Quote:

And to answer once more. It was only an interpretation. Amplified or not, interpreting is all it was.

I won't bother getting into an Oscar Wilde-ish discussion of how interpretation is, itself, an act of creation.

And yet, again, you were the one who injected this image of the poor into this discussion. So let's find out once and for all: do you believe that the poor are sitting, hands held out, waiting for the harvest to come to them?
post #559 of 2360
Quote:

You lack of reading comprehension is keeping you from understanding. Having something given to you makes your lot easier than the guy that has to earn it himself. How much you or he has is irrelevant.

But you know that. you're just trolling.

If I make a million dollars a year, and you live in a ditch, covered in petrol, on fire, and someone hands you a lollie pop, is your lot in life easier than mine?
post #560 of 2360
Quote:

I won't bother getting into an Oscar Wilde-ish discussion of how interpretation is, itself, an act of creation.

And yet, again, you were the one who injected this image of the poor into this discussion. So let's find out once and for all: do you believe that the poor are sitting, hands held out, waiting for the harvest to come to them?

In reading his post that is the image that came to my mind and that is how I interpreted it.

In answer to your question. Are there some sitting hands held out waiting for the harvest to fall into their laps, of course there are. Are all the poor people of the world doing that, of course they are not. I cannot speak for the number of them doing which. Reality is what it is.
NoahJ
NoahJ
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Biggest Threat to Obama's Health Care "Reform" - Reality