or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sells over 1 million iPhone 3G Ss in first three days

Apple sells over 1 million iPhone 3G Ss in first three days

post #1 of 139
Apple said Monday that it sold over one million iPhone 3GS models during the first three days the handset was on the market, while its new iPhone 3.0 software was downloaded by six million customers in the first five days since its release.

The sales tally is inline with a prediction made by AppleInsider on Friday, shortly after the the iPhone 3G S hit retail stores and AT&T announce that it sold "hundreds of thousands" of the devices during its pre-order process.

"Customers are voting and the iPhone is winning," said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. "With over 50,000 applications available from Apple's revolutionary App Store, iPhone momentum is stronger than ever."

For their part, Wall Street analysts like Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster, had initially forecasted the Cupertino-based company to accumulate first-weekend sales of roughly 500,000 iPhone 3G Ss. Prior to Apple's announcement Monday morning, the analyst edged up his estimate to 750,000 units, saying early sales indications, comments from carriers, and lines at retail stores "were more positive" than he had anticipated.

It took Apple 74 days, or approximately two and a half months, to sell its first million iPhones back in 2007, while last year's iPhone 3G launch saw a million devices sold in just the first three days, setting a benchmark for future iPhone releases. Given that sales figures reported Monday by Apple don't include sales of the newly-priced $99 8GB iPhone 3G, it's more than likely this past weekend represented the company's most successful product launch to date.

For those interested, AppleInsider published a 4-page, in-depth review of the iPhone 3G S and the new iPhone 3.0 software update earlier this morning.
post #2 of 139
says Steve Jobs? Or his PR Lady? Or his doctor?

apart from that: great news! I'm gonna add one as soon as the 32gb model is available again in Germany. So far the "big" one is sold out here (18k on friday in total, so the press tells us).

I want one
post #3 of 139
Never expected such huge sales for iPhone 3GS after reading the initial reports. Anyways its great to see iPhone still commanding the smartphone sales.
post #4 of 139
So who are the other 999,999?
post #5 of 139
Steve says??
If steve really did say that, I think that would be the REAL NEWS..
Same Apple. Same Mac. Different Take. Different Place. http://Applemacness.com
Same Apple. Same Mac. Different Take. Different Place. http://Applemacness.com
post #6 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

Steve says??
If steve really did say that, I think that would be the REAL NEWS..

That's what I was thinking....
post #7 of 139
Well if it hadn't been for the great O2 rip off here in the UK myself and 5 family members would have upgraded on Friday, many of my friends would have done the same, not too usre how it pans out over the other 8 countries but if they are like O2 they could have had so many more sales!
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #8 of 139
Congrats! Apple's marketing team is indeed strongest ever.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #9 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Congrats! Apple's marketing team is indeed strongest ever.

I find it so funny people think Apple reads their comments.
post #10 of 139
Steve said?

He must be feeling better after the get well flowers and chocolate I sent him this morning.

Maybe he thought the world thought he was dying...

No sh*t, I really did it!
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
post #11 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I find it so funny people think Apple reads their comments.

I think you got it wrong somewhere. Some people just need to post.

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #12 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

For their part, Wall Street analysts like Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster, had initially forecasted the Cupertino-based company to accumulate first-weekend sales of roughly 500,000 iPhone 3G Ss. Prior to Apple's announcement Monday morning, the analyst edged up his estimate to 750,000 units, saying early sales indications, comments from carriers, and lines at retail stores "were more positive" than he had anticipated.

Analysts underestimating Apple's products appeal... what else is new
post #13 of 139
How does this compare to the other two iPhone releases?
post #14 of 139
Quote:

This is a very popular site... I suspect there must be people within Apple that read this site and may be comments. The competition more than likely, does too.
post #15 of 139
Quote:

Right on. To each his own
post #16 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenix View Post

says Steve Jobs? Or his PR Lady? Or his doctor?

apart from that: great news! I'm gonna add one as soon as the 32gb model is available again in Germany. So far the "big" one is sold out here (18k on friday in total, so the press tells us).

I want one

As a public trading company, the fact that the statement in the corporate news release was a quote by Steve Jobs, it has to be, by law, true.
post #17 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

This is a very popular site... I suspect there must be people within Apple that read this site and may be comments. The competition more than likely, does too.

True. We do have proofs (Apple's moves in corporate business, touch screens as trackpads, solar-charged phones, etc.) But I also wrote the truth, having been meaning myself, sure. It's much more important to me to have the ability to write several posts, than to know whether those posts are read.
Look, that guy, chronster, is happy, as well.

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #18 of 139
Welcome back Steve! Great news on sales.
post #19 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

As a public trading company, the fact that the statement in the corporate news release was a quote by Steve Jobs, it has to be, by law, true.

It could also be a quote from an e-mail from Steve - I think he's in good enough shape to sit in a chair and type on his tablet he's still deciding if he wants to sell to us peons
post #20 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

I suspect there must be people within Apple that read this site and may be comments. The competition more than likely, does too.

in which case: why not post useful stuff? rather than "congrats" & "unbelievable"?

eg: when will apple reply to demands to deal with the MacBookPro's sata interface downgrade?

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/14/...ata-interface/

selling record numbers is all very well, but many people are pretty angry about the sata downgrade, and others aren't buying a MBP till this gets addressed / solved.

why doesn't Jobs address this from his hospital bed?
seems he's well enough to celebrate the iphone.

-D
post #21 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

It could also be a quote from an e-mail from Steve - I think he's in good enough shape to sit in a chair and type on his tablet he's still deciding if he wants to sell to us peons

Could very well be - I know someone who was sending emails and IMs in between chemo-therapy sessions not long after surgery for brain cancer. He was still in the hospital at the time and likely could not have walked form the bed to the door unassisted - but was able to use a computer for simple tasks in part just to have an alternative to doing nothing but lying there.

Would have been a million and one if I was a bit closer to the end of my contract on my 3G notebook card - and came very close to a million two as my wife has expressed an interest but still trying to work out if it would be better to give her my 2G iPhone - or get her the $99 3G - or just go all out and get here the 3G S - of course her current phone is not an iPhone and is not eligible for full discount until around May of 2010.
post #22 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

So who are the other 999,999?

I bought 2 last Friday.

That's 999,997 left to go.
post #23 of 139
Quote:

since when?

PS - publicly traded - not public trading
post #24 of 139
Welcome back Steve Jobs! This past Saturday I could no longer resist the new iPhone, which finally has the specs I've deemed necessary to shell out a substantial amount of money for the amazing little computer and the bank-account-reducing monthly service fees to AT&T.

Learning how to use the iPhone 3GS is sheer joy. This marvel imparts total satisfaction. The how-tos on Apple's web site are excellent. There is an extensive support infrastructure to help any beginner quickly get up to speed. The tactile pleasure of controlling everything via intuitive fingertip is natural and engaging.

This pocket computer is fast, responsive, works very well. Quick download and thorough sync from my computer, all bookmarks, contacts, calendar, all data, all organization, everything perfectly in place and ready to operate seamlessly.

This household bought 2 iPhone 3GS 32G Black plus accessories, AppleCare for 2 years, MobileMe for 2 years, an awesome Bose Sounddock for playing a large music collection to reverberate through the walls and rafters, plus a MacBoxSet to upgrade our iBook to the latest greatest OS Leopard, iWorks09 iLife09 (lots of great $$$ savings when buying all at same time).

Now enjoying the blissful marriage of state-of-the-art unparalleled software paired with sleek elegant fast hardware to give the ultimate useful geek pleasure productivity experience. Nirvana!

And my partner's iPhone synced perfectly with her PC and all MS Exchange business data, replacing 2 phones, iPod, Palm PDA, laptop, and TomTom. Her new iPhone does it all, and way better.
post #25 of 139
Quote:

As one who has been quoted as an officer of a public company and has also written these releases for public companies these quotes are usually crafted by PR or marketing or some committee (sometimes the person quoted). Then the person to whom the quote is attributed approves it for release. These are almost never an actual spontaneous quote.
post #26 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by physguy View Post

As one who has been quoted as an officer of a public company and has also written these releases for public companies these quotes are usually crafted by PR or marketing or some committee (sometimes the person quoted). Then the person to whom the quote is attributed approves it for release. These are almost never an actual spontaneous quote.

Shocking!

Next you will tell us that POTUS doesn't write his own speeches.
post #27 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidT View Post

in which case: why not post useful stuff? rather than "congrats" & "unbelievable"?

eg: when will apple reply to demands to deal with the MacBookPro's sata interface downgrade?

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/14/...ata-interface/

selling record numbers is all very well, but many people are pretty angry about the sata downgrade, and others aren't buying a MBP till this gets addressed / solved.

why doesn't Jobs address this from his hospital bed?
seems he's well enough to celebrate the iphone.

-D

What you're posting has nothing to do with the article at all.

And, by the way, it's been shown that the SATA slowdown only takes place with certain SSD drives, possibly because those drives themselves are SATA 1.5 Gbs.
post #28 of 139
As a 1st gen iPhone owner that skipped the 3G, I decided to upgrade to the 3GS. I wasn't expecting the type of demand for this as there was for the first iPhone so I went to my local Apple store Saturday afternoon to pick one up. Unfortunately, all they had left were white ones and there was still a line outside the door of people wanting to buy that. I had to wonder whether that many people really wanted white or if they were just going to settle for it since black was sold out. Myself, I just went home and ordered online. I can wait a week.

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

post #29 of 139
Quote:

Jobs is known to shoot off his own responses.
post #30 of 139
Just called local AT&T and they are sold out but are (possibly) expecting more today.

Hesitant to call Apple Freehold as I'm sure I'll probably get the same canned response regardless of inventory.

I'd be nice if I could walk in and pick one up today.
post #31 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Well if it hadn't been for the great O2 rip off here in the UK myself and 5 family members would have upgraded on Friday, many of my friends would have done the same, not too usre how it pans out over the other 8 countries but if they are like O2 they could have had so many more sales!

That's OK - it leaves more for the rest of us.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #32 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Just called local AT&T and they are sold out but are (possibly) expecting more today.

Hesitant to call Apple Freehold as I'm sure I'll probably get the same canned response regardless of inventory.

I'd be nice if I could walk in and pick one up today.

A relative of mine was there this past weekend and said there were huge lines. My guess is the surest bet for getting one this week is ordering online.
post #33 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What you're posting has nothing to do with the article at all.

I was commenting on a post which claims that apple does read these forums. Since many posts today are concerned more with Jobs' health and statement than iphone sales, I don't find it particularly offensive or wrong to post something slightly off the article's main theme...

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

(...) it's been shown that the SATA slowdown only takes place with certain SSD drives, possibly because those drives themselves are SATA 1.5 Gbs.

can you supply a link for this? or anybody else? I would be grateful, all info I have been able to find states that the slowdown doesn't have impact on HD's, but does have impact on SSDs, and will thus be grave for those of us wishing to buy a MBP now and a fast SSD in 12 months. thanks in advance, sorry for off-topicness of my original message.
-D
post #34 of 139
We knew this was going to happen - just like I said before, I'm sure that Apple hit the 500K mark on Friday alone
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...89&postcount=7
Even the Piper analysts knew this was going to happen - I think they deliberately played down expectations - hmmm, I wonder why they would do such a thing???
post #35 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

How does this compare to the other two iPhone releases?

Did you read the whole story? Let me cut and paste the relevant section for you:

"It took Apple 74 days, or approximately two and a half months, to sell its first million iPhones back in 2007, while last year's iPhone 3G launch saw a million devices sold in just the first three days, setting a benchmark for future iPhone releases. Given that sales figures reported Monday by Apple don't include sales of the newly-priced $99 8GB iPhone 3G, it's more than likely this past weekend represented the company's most successful product launch to date."
post #36 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

since when?

PS - publicly traded - not public trading

A board member or a member of the executive has a fiduciary responsibility to their publicly trading share holders. As such, any communication that could potentially affect the stock and would thus come under the scrutiny of the SEC.

If, as in the stated company press release, sales were exaggerated and caused a rise in stock prices, only to discover that the numbers were false and thus created a subsequent drop in value, the company can be charged with fraud.

It should be noted, that bloggers as well, may soon come under the gun. http://www.ftc.gov/os/2008/11/P03452...mentguides.pdf

http://legal.practitioner.com/regula...ards_9_3_6.htm
post #37 of 139
Quote:

A board member or a member of the executive has a fiduciary responsibility to their publicly trading share holders. As such, any communication that could potentially affect the stock and would thus come under the scrutiny of the SEC.

That is correct.

(PS: It's "public shareholders"; a company could have private -- i.e., non-traded -- shares).

Quote:

It should be noted, that bloggers as well, may soon come under the gun. http://www.ftc.gov/os/2008/11/P03452...mentguides.pdf

http://legal.practitioner.com/regula...ards_9_3_6.htm

Interesting, and about time. I truly hope that this happens. There has been way too much blogger nonsense related to AAPL and SJ (e.g., remember SJ's reported death?).
post #38 of 139
Quote:

You are absolutely correct. However, in the official press release they quoted Steve Jobs.It was not a passing comment. It was in quotation marks, published and thus available for referencing and all its scrutiny.

I would suggest that Steve or any member of the board realizes the impact that the context of the statement could have on their share prices.

More importantly, the fact that Jobs made the claim would indicate that he is now more actively involved. Such a understanding could have an even more important impact on the stock market.

With all the law suits facing Apple today, they don't need another.
post #39 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Ripped off?? how so ?
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #40 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

i find it so funny people think apple reads their comments.

you can find the anwser posted above or below .
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sells over 1 million iPhone 3G Ss in first three days