or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sells over 1 million iPhone 3G Ss in first three days

Apple sells over 1 million iPhone 3G Ss in first three days - Page 2

post #41 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Ripped off?? how so ?

Well, ya know, he wants his money for nothing and the chicks for free - anything less is a rip off!
post #42 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I find it so funny people think Apple reads their comments.

Well, I find it funny that people think that corporations have evolved into a physical being that has learned read in the first place.

That being said..

Representatives from Apple (especially Apple Legal) do indeed frequent these forums. That's a fact... Also, if you don't think those who devote 99% of their waking life to build and improve on Apple products take a moment out to see how the 'devoted fan' is reacting to their final products... Well then... You don't know Apple Employees very well... Apple is what Apple is all because of the unique people that create the products.

So... Congrats! to the iPhone Team and their hard work, they all deserve a nice long vacation.

Knowing Apple tho, I think those developers are sitting in their offices and cubes hard at work on the next (or next next) generation iPhone.

D
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #43 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

We knew this was going to happen - just like I said before, I'm sure that Apple hit the 500K mark on Friday alone
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...89&postcount=7
Even the Piper analysts knew this was going to happen - I think they deliberately played down expectations - hmmm, I wonder why they would do such a thing???

HEY dude , I am thrilled with over one million in sales. Apple just keeps on rolling along
scoring big play after big play .

They sold 231 iphones per minute for 3 days ,cool .

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #44 of 139
We haven't heard from Teckstud yet...

post #45 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Well, ya know, he wants his money for nothing and the chicks for free - anything less is a rip off!

Dammit dude NOW that song will be in my head all week.
ahhhhh!!!!

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #46 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

We haven't heard from Teckstud yet...

Go ahead. Rattle the cage.

P.S. There is an excellent chance that he is still on hold complaining to Palm about his new Pre.
post #47 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidT View Post

in which case: why not post useful stuff? rather than "congrats" & "unbelievable"?

eg: when will apple reply to demands to deal with the MacBookPro's sata interface downgrade?

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/14/...ata-interface/

selling record numbers is all very well, but many people are pretty angry about the sata downgrade, and others aren't buying a MBP till this gets addressed / solved.

why doesn't Jobs address this from his hospital bed?
seems he's well enough to celebrate the iphone.

-D

Very fine accutrate post david . I just hope people take the time to read it before they judge it .

peace

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #48 of 139
Quote:

It could also be a quote from an e-mail from Steve - I think he's in good enough shape to sit in a chair and type on his tablet he's still deciding if he wants to sell to us peons

Tablet? Blasphemy! Apple doesn't make one of those. Next thing we know, you'll be trying to tell us he uses a netbook at home!
post #49 of 139
Quote:

in which case: why not post useful stuff? rather than "congrats" & "unbelievable"?

eg: when will apple reply to demands to deal with the MacBookPro's sata interface downgrade?...

Maybe because Apple already has it's own forums and tech support and that's the appropriate place to funnel complaints of that nature?

I don't know that anyone from Apple ever reads this forum, but if they do it's more likely they do so to get a general idea of how things are being received and very general attitudes towards products. It's foolish to think that they will troll countless forums looking for specific consumer complaints if those people haven't taken the time to formally open an issue with tech support.

Since the SATA downgrade you talk about only *theoretically* affects people who would buy a non-SSD equipped MacBook and swap out the drive for an SSD, it's basically a really small problem which is actually only a potential problem and not yet a problem at all.

Good luck on getting a large percentage of Mac users up in arms about that.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
post #50 of 139
Quote:

Ripped off?? how so ?

Well lets start with the handset pricing, original iPhone $199 in US and £99 in UK, US price for the iPhone 3G now $99 and the 3GS $199, UK price STILL £99 for iPhone 3G and £179 for iPhone 3GS, sure you can add vat and exchange etc we still end up getting shafted.

Then the upgrade, I feel that O2 should not just allow customers to walk away from the existing contract, they should however allow their users to pay off the remaining subsidised amount only, they do after all get you to sign another new contract, charging for the full 6 months remaining and not taking into consideration the minutes etc that should come with that is terrible!
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #51 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Go ahead. Rattle the cage.

P.S. There is an excellent chance that he is still on hold complaining to Palm about his new Pre.

I am sure he is over at pre-central leading the cracked pre palm phone charge.

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #52 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

I bought 2 last Friday.

That's 999,997 left to go.

Just curious about the breakdown of all those sales, are you...

A) New to AT&T

B) Already with AT&T, but just getting the iPhone for the first time

C) Purchased the iPhone 3Gs but will "Jailbreak" to use with other carrier

or

D) previous iPhone owner on AT&T, just upgrading to the latest model iPhone.

I wonder how many New Accounts were established over the weekend thanks to AT&T's partnership with Apple? \

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #53 of 139
Quote:

Quote:

Dammit dude NOW that song will be in my head all week.
ahhhhh!!!!

All week?!?! I grew up in that era... and its taken me DECADES burn that catchy little ditty from Dire Straits out of my prefrontal cortex...

So, yea... Nice going BigMc6k, In one careless off the cuff post you've managed to undo 24 years of painful shock therapy treatments. I sure hope you satisfied with yourself.

Now wheres that shrinks card again...
post #54 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Well lets start with the handset pricing, original iPhone $199 in US and £99 in UK, US price for the iPhone 3G now $99 and the 3GS $199, UK price STILL £99 for iPhone 3G and £179 for iPhone 3GS, sure you can add vat and exchange etc we still end up getting shafted.

Then the upgrade, I feel that O2 should not just allow customers to walk away from the existing contract, they should however allow their users to pay off the remaining subsidised amount only, they do after all get you to sign another new contract, charging for the full 6 months remaining and not taking into consideration the minutes etc that should come with that is terrible!

So your carrier is overcharging compared to the usa ??

can you switch carriers ?
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #55 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

All week?!?! I grew up in that era... and its taken me DECADES burn that catchy little ditty from Dire Straits out of my prefrontal cortex...

So, yea... Nice going BigMc6k, In one careless off the cuff post you've managed to undo 24 years of painful shock therapy treatments. I sure hope you satisfied with yourself.

Now wheres that shrinks card again...

na na na
hey hey goood bye
na na na na na na
hey hey hey .......
quick sing with me . we can escape the .......
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #56 of 139
Quote:

ERR david THE mbp with no sata is on course for record sales,

Hi brucep
Interesting, the "mbp with no sata" is selling like hot-cakes, is it?

Quote:

Less than one percent used the sata card.

really? next you'll tell us that "less than one percent of owners use the motherboard"

Quote:

TINY people with loud voices. You should go join the glossy crowd you deserve each other.
NO offence intended.

If you intend to offend me, go ahead, but don't bother writing "NO offence intended". That's just plain silly, considering your preceeding opinions about me.

In addition it seems you have difficulty telling the difference between Sata and an ExpressCard Slot.
Until you've worked out the difference you might find it more polite to refrain from offending

Apart from that, I enjoy your posts here,
best of luck
-D
post #57 of 139
Quote:

So your carrier is overcharging compared to the usa ??

can you switch carriers ?

unfortunately not, if you want an iPhone here it has to be O2. I'm getting one on Saturday anyway because I think it's worth it, but it does sting a bit.
post #58 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Maybe because Apple already has it's own forums and tech support and that's the appropriate place to funnel complaints of that nature?

hello, it was not a complaint in itself, it was a comment that if SJ is fit enough to celebrate the iphone, we might expect him and his company to address the sata problem.
I peruse the apple forums daily - still no official statement.
I have sent messages to tech support and called apple. "We can not make a statement" is the only reply.

Quote:

Since the SATA downgrade you talk about only *theoretically* affects people who would buy a non-SSD equipped MacBook and swap out the drive for an SSD, it's basically a really small problem which is actually only a potential problem and not yet a problem at all.

no, the *non-theoretical* problem is that if you buy a MBP with SSD installed from apple, you get sata 3,0
if you buy non-SSD MBP, and intend to upgrade with a fast SSD of your choice next year: you get sata 1,5.
ergo, apple seems to have crippled the sata on computers sold without their SSDs (which are small & expensive)
which is a problem for anybody - like me - who wants to buy the MBP now, then buy a fast and cheaper SSD of my choice in a few months or next year.

And before you say: nobody needs this transfer rate: I - and many others in the film, video, convention world - do, and will, as more applications make use f faster transfer rates.
And I don't want to buy a MBP now, and again next year, all because of this.

and before I'm accused of complaining about the MBP: I'm quite wiling to believe there was a reason for the downgrade. maybe heat, maybe battery life, etc. wouldn't it be good to get a reply from apple about this? just a statement: "there will be a fix", "there will be an upgrade", "buy the next gen", all I'm asking is "why the downgrade" and "if apple can celebrate the iphone's sales, why can't they make an official statement about this" ?

sorry for the off topic - it was not meant to divert the thread, it was meant as a brief comment about apple's famous "public relations"

Quote:

Good luck on getting a large percentage of Mac users up in arms about that.

I have no need to get large percentages up in arms :-)

have a good day,
-D
post #59 of 139
Samsung Jet had more than 2 million pre orders from 50 countries, Apple is doomed:

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...for-preorders/
post #60 of 139
Quote:

na na na
hey hey goood bye
na na na na na na
hey hey hey .......
quick sing with me . we can escape the .......

You think you can escape the free chicks and the money for nothing- come on now... hahaha
post #61 of 139
Quote:

I was commenting on a post which claims that apple does read these forums. Since many posts today are concerned more with Jobs' health and statement than iphone sales, I don't find it particularly offensive or wrong to post something slightly off the article's main theme...

While it's very possible that some people from Apple do occasionally read these forums, what does that have to do with it? there have been several threads about that issue for SJ, and no doubt, there will be again. This isn't one of them.

No one would object to someone putting in a comment about how they hoped SJ was getting better, make no mistake about that.

But as this is an iPhone thread, your comments about being annoyed about no one commenting on the Macbook Pro (or SJ commenting) is well out of the subject area. We get plenty of Macbook threads.

If you're not satisfied, you can go to the forums, and start your own. If enough people are interested, you will get responses. If they don't, that's fair too.

Quote:
can you supply a link for this? or anybody else? I would be grateful, all info I have been able to find states that the slowdown doesn't have impact on HD's, but does have impact on SSDs, and will thus be grave for those of us wishing to buy a MBP now and a fast SSD in 12 months. thanks in advance, sorry for off-topicness of my original message.
-D

I didn't bookmark it, but it's around somewhere, possibly I'll find it later. My quick search didn't pick it up.
post #62 of 139
Great news for Apple and my mate at CPW said they'd sold more of the 3G S this time around on the first day than the original. Makes sense as the it's a household name these days.

Slightly off topic has anybody noticed that 3.0 drains the battery a lot quicker than 2.2.1??
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
post #63 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Samsung Jet had more than 2 million pre orders from 50 countries, Apple is doomed:

Well if Apple got their 1 million from just 8 countries and tons of curent 3G owners couldn't upgrade without paying a pretty penny I'm thinking if they had 1) launched in all available countries (including China) and 2) given another week or so warning and stop all shipments of iPhones they'd have hit 2 million without much of a problem to be honest...
post #64 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

We knew this was going to happen - just like I said before, I'm sure that Apple hit the 500K mark on Friday alone
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...89&postcount=7
Even the Piper analysts knew this was going to happen - I think they deliberately played down expectations - hmmm, I wonder why they would do such a thing???

I doubt if they did that. It certainly hasn't helped them any. Look at where the market is, and look at where Apple's stock is.
post #65 of 139
Quote:

Ripped off?? how so ?

Because like some others here, he's mad that he can't get that latest and best for less money than he's entitled to.
post #66 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

If you're not satisfied, you can go to the forums, and start your own.

I am very satisfied with Appleinsider.

Quote:

If enough people are interested, you will get responses. If they don't, that's fair too.

I don't require "responses", it was a merely a little comment about Apple's communications. Could be relevant to any thread related to apple's products. There's no need to react as if I have sabotaged the appleinsider.com/iphone experience for all readers. We're all old enough to ignore posts we find irrelevant, right?

Quote:

I didn't bookmark it, but it's around somewhere, possibly I'll find it later. My quick search didn't pick it up.

OK, thanks very much, I appreciate it.
best
-D
post #67 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Slightly off topic has anybody noticed that 3.0 drains the battery a lot quicker than 2.2.1??

Actually no, my battery seems unchanged. (iphone3G)
I'm very happy with 3.0

maybe some of your settings were changed in the update process?
GPS, bluetooth, etc...?
-D
post #68 of 139
Quote:

You are absolutely correct. However, in the official press release they quoted Steve Jobs.It was not a passing comment. It was in quotation marks, published and thus available for referencing and all its scrutiny.

I would suggest that Steve or any member of the board realizes the impact that the context of the statement could have on their share prices.

More importantly, the fact that Jobs made the claim would indicate that he is now more actively involved. Such a understanding could have an even more important impact on the stock market.

With all the law suits facing Apple today, they don't need another.

??? We all know that Steve is far from dead, he does not have many hobbies, and I'm sure Apple knows the impact of a press release. They were charged with fraud in the way back so they are aware. LINK Yea I would think that Apple is comfortable with the million figure or they would not have released it, Steve or no Steve. What Apple has been releasing has been having little impact on the stock market compared to the bloggers. So lawsuit is very remote, and I'm still not sure how you got there. There is not anything fishy or numbers cooked, everything looks plausible, and certainly not anything yet that would make it to a court. Everything you mention could happen with any press release Apple makes Steve or no Steve. In short the sky ain't falling, relax.
Please consider throwing extra cycles at better understanding Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (CJD), ALS, and Parkinson's disease go here <a href="http://folding.stanford.edu/" target="_blank">http://folding....
Please consider throwing extra cycles at better understanding Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (CJD), ALS, and Parkinson's disease go here <a href="http://folding.stanford.edu/" target="_blank">http://folding....
post #69 of 139
Quote:

Well if Apple got their 1 million from just 8 countries and tons of curent 3G owners couldn't upgrade without paying a pretty penny I'm thinking if they had 1) launched in all available countries (including China) and 2) given another week or so warning and stop all shipments of iPhones they'd have hit 2 million without much of a problem to be honest...

Actually I was just trying to give the heads up to the iphone haters who would depart on this thread to say this announcement is insignificant.
post #70 of 139
Quote:

I am very satisfied with Appleinsider.

I meant with this thread, and any other that doesn't address your interests.

Quote:
I don't require "responses", it was a merely a little comment about Apple's communications. Could be relevant to any thread related to apple's products. There's no need to react as if I have sabotaged the appleinsider.com/iphone experience for all readers. We're all old enough to ignore posts we find irrelevant, right?

Jobs doesn't offhand respond to minor issues like that. He'll issue a comment on some major new product, or line. He'll offer a comment on sales, and such. That's the level that CEO's and Chairman usually move to.

Sometimes, he will answer an e-mail to him about some contentious issue, and that is surprising.

I only brought it up because of the level of annoyance your post expressed. If you now say that you weren't annoyed, thats fine, but it isn't how it read.
post #71 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendon View Post

??? We all know that Steve is far from dead, he does not have many hobbies, and I'm sure Apple knows the impact of a press release. They were charged with fraud in the way back so they are aware. LINK Yea I would think that Apple is comfortable with the million figure or they would not have released it, Steve or no Steve. What Apple has been releasing has been having little impact on the stock market compared to the bloggers. So lawsuit is very remote, and I'm still not sure how you got there. There is not anything fishy or numbers cooked, everything looks plausible, and certainly not anything yet that would make it to a court. Everything you mention could happen with any press release Apple makes Steve or no Steve. In short the sky ain't falling, relax.

Do you know wtf you are talking about?

I made no comment to suggest that Apple did anything wrong. In fact, to the contrary..
post #72 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

These are pre-orders are from service providers. They could be ordering for their forecasted first year of sales, for all we know.

The only real comparison will be how many are sold to retail consumers in the first three days when/if the product is introduced.
post #73 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

So who are the other 999,999?

I'm one... so now, who are the other 999,998.

I hope the quote really is from Jobs, that would be great news indeed. Get well soon, Steve.

Add in sales for the $99 3G, it is definitely higher, I saw a couple people buying the 3G. Genius to offer a $99 phone, a lot of people can't afford or just don't want to pay for the 3G-S, the 3G will definitely increase their buyers/users.

This is my first iPhone and I like it a lot, glad they eventually released a 32gb model and 3.0 is well done.

Sprint was not happy I left them, the Customer Service rep kept asking "Why?" I needed my account number and told me they have a lot of great phones.
post #74 of 139
Quote:

Do you know wtf you are talking about?

I made no comment to suggest that Apple did anything wrong. In fact, to the contrary..

With all the law suits facing Apple today, they don't need another.
post #75 of 139
Quote:

I meant with this thread, and any other that doesn't address your interests.

Yes, threads are collaborative, spontaneous and informative, i do not expect a thread to address "my issues". that's not the purpose of a thread.

Quote:

Jobs doesn't offhand respond to minor issues like that. He'll issue a comment on some major new product, or line. He'll offer a comment on sales, and such. That's the level that CEO's and Chairman usually move to.

Oh dear. Thanks for explaining. I did not expect Jobs to write me a personal rose-scented letter from his desk or from the operating room, explaining in detail 'the reasoning behind the sata downgrade'.
I was merely commenting that since this very big company has the time & resources to coordinate it's iphone launch and it's celebratory communications to the outside world, including an SJ quote, I would expect this company to reply to an issue which is getting a lot of resonance about some serious problems with another major apple product. Replying to the sata issue would take just as long as Apple's "The iPhone is winning" announcement That's all I expect from Apple. A short answer to a question many customers & potential customers are troubled over. (see apple's own forums)

My comment was about Apple Inc.'s policies, not SJ's functions or Appleinsider's threads.

Quote:

I only brought it up because of the level of annoyance your post expressed. If you now say that you weren't annoyed, thats fine, but it isn't how it read.

Sorry if I sounded annoyed, and if I were annoyed, it would be with Apple's communications strategy, not with Appleinsider, not with this thread or with SJ, who we hope is getting healthier by the minute.

That should wrap this little question up, I trust?
Let's not waste any more time on it, ok?
Take care,
-D
post #76 of 139
Quote:

Hi brucep
Interesting, the "mbp with no sata" is selling like hot-cakes, is it?

really? next you'll tell us that "less than one percent of owners use the motherboard"

If you intend to offend me, go ahead, but don't bother writing "NO offence intended". That's just plain silly, considering your preceeding opinions about me.

In addition it seems you have difficulty telling the difference between Sata and an ExpressCard Slot.
Until you've worked out the difference you might find it more polite to refrain from offending

Apart from that, I enjoy your posts here,
best of luck
-D

Oh boy i am sorry,Iknow what a sata is because i just put a 500g in my black MB
i was reading and posting on the fly . again i stand corrected and will fix my last post . I am not always such an asshole ///forgive me.

PEACE 9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #77 of 139
Quote:

Oh boy i am sorry,Iknow what a sata is because i just put a 500g in my black MB
i was reading and posting on the fly . again i stand corrected and will fix my last post . I am not always such an asshole ///forgive me.

PEACE 9

no problem - nevermind
i make lots of mistakes, everybody does :-)
take care, enjoy the 500g!
-D
post #78 of 139
Quote:

Y
Oh dear. Thanks for explaining.

No need to be snide.

Quote:
I did not expect Jobs to write me a personal rose-scented letter from his desk or from the operating room, explaining in detail 'the reasoning behind the sata downgrade'.
I was merely commenting that since this very big company has the time & resources to coordinate it's iphone launch and it's celebratory communications to the outside world, including an SJ quote, I would expect this company to reply to an issue which is getting a lot of resonance about some serious problems with another major apple product. Replying to the sata issue would take just as long as Apple's "The iPhone is winning" announcement That's all I expect from Apple. A short answer to a question many customers & potential customers are troubled over. (see apple's own forums)

Since we really don't what the facts are here yet, we can't expect Apple to come up with a quick response. It's always possible that as one site says, the speed is 3 Gbs with Apple's own SSD drives, and 1.5 with others. Its also possible that, as I read, some SSD drives have a 1.5 Gbs interface, while others have a 3 Gbs one.

And its also possible, that some MacBook Pros aren't responding properly, and Apple is investigating.

We don't know yet. Apple doesn't usually respond right away to these things, depending what the issue is. It usually take a couple of weeks or so.

[quote
My comment was about Apple Inc.'s policies, not SJ's functions or Appleinsider's threads.[/quote]

It didn't read that way.

Quote:
Sorry if I sounded annoyed, and if I were annoyed, it would be with Apple's communications strategy, not with Appleinsider, not with this thread or with SJ, who we hope is getting healthier by the minute.

Ok, fine.

Quote:
That should wrap this little question up, I trust?
Let's not waste any more time on it, ok?
Take care,
-D

I was going to say that, if you didn't. I assume you won't comment on it further.
post #79 of 139
It would be great if my PRE-ORDERED iPhone was actually in the store for me to pick up. Despite being promised it would be at my ATT store at 7 AM Friday, it wasn't, and I have yet to be able to pick it up....
post #80 of 139
Im impressed! Blows the whole count how many people in line theory!
Forgo Looking At The Past As A Judge; Instead Be a Student.
Forgo Looking At The Past As A Judge; Instead Be a Student.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sells over 1 million iPhone 3G Ss in first three days