or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 3GS spurs 400% increase in mobile video uploads to YouTube
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone 3GS spurs 400% increase in mobile video uploads to YouTube

post #1 of 47
Thread Starter 
If there was any doubt that that the video recording and upload capabilities of Apple's new iPhone 3GS would signal a new chapter in mobile video sharing, the first statistics quantifying its impact are in, and they're impressive.

Google said Thursday that in the first five days since the new Apple handset hit the market, its YouTube video sharing website saw a 400% increase in the number of video uploads coming from mobile handsets. This compares to 1700% percent growth in YouTube uploads in general over the past six months.

The iPhone 3GS is the first iPhone to support video capture and allows users to easily trim and then upload their recordings to YouTube or Apple's MobileMe video sharing websites. Uploads are supported over both WiFi and 3G wireless connections.

Although the fourfold increase in mobile uploads to YouTube may stem early adopters familiarizing themselves with their new handsets, the iPhone 3GS remains in its infancy, having sold roughly a million units in its first week.

Analysts like Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster forecast the company to sell over 16 million more iPhones during the duration of the current calendar year, the largest majority of which are expected to be 3GS models.

Additionally, persistent rumors have Apple equipping its next-generation iPods with similar camera capabilities, suggesting the growth witnessed by YouTube in mobile video usage over the past several days is only the tip of the iceberg.
post #2 of 47
Of course you all have been busy overloading youtube with video- you've been denied for 2 years.
post #3 of 47
The iPhone juggernaut continues to roll. The nayasyers will, one day soon, repent, and relent.
post #4 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Of course you all have been busy overloading youtube with video- you've been denied for 2 years.

Unreal, this guy.
post #5 of 47
I still wonder how the heck YouTube will ever make money. I also wonder how they are able to store all of this content. If it were up to me, I'd start charging for uploads exceeding a certain monthly limit. God bless 'em though.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #6 of 47
400% to youtube...

and an increase in "Paris Hilton" or "Pamela Anderson" night time activity videos?!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #7 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

400% to youtube...

and an increase in "Paris Hilton" or "Pamela Anderson" night time activity videos?!

lol, when will youporn allow mobile uploads?
post #8 of 47
No wonder I couldn't get service this weekend with my new 3GS... everyone uploading videos of things no one cares about or will ever watch.
post #9 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

Unreal, this guy.

texkstud is so sad
Get A Mac.
Reply
Get A Mac.
Reply
post #10 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Of course you all have been busy overloading youtube with video- you've been denied for 2 years.

Actually it's more like this:

Even though some mobile phones have had video capabilities for awhile now, it took Apple to finally make it easy enough for people to do it!
post #11 of 47
The new iPhone 3GS is so much more nimble than the original iPhone, you really have to think of its sales in multiple dimensions...
Apple didn't just sell 1 Million phones. In one weekend they sold:

1 Million video cameras - WITH video editing (that part is the magic!)
1 Million GPS navigators.
1 Million game consoles.
1 Million voice-recorders (or a 4-track studio with the app).
and don't forget 1 Million iPods.

or 1 Million whatever else full-feature tools the App Store offers.
post #12 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

the largest majority of which are expected to be 3GS models.

The largest majority???

As opposed, perhaps, to all those other, smaller majorities?

May we recommend the esoteric term "vast" for such situations? (As in "vast majority", "preponderance", or even the more ponderous "majority by far".) I know it's comprised of but four letters, but its use surely would lend a greater verisimilitude of erudition!

Paul
post #13 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by plus View Post

... a greater verisimilitude of erudition!

Paul

Too bad 90% of the people that read this don't even understand what you wrote!
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
post #14 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Too bad 90% of the people that read this don't even understand what you wrote!

No, just the largest majority of them.
post #15 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by plus View Post

The largest majority???

more of the fine AI journalism / copy editing we've come to love and expect.
post #16 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

lol, when will youporn allow mobile uploads?

Exactly......
post #17 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

lol, when will youporn allow mobile uploads?

or play clips on the iPhone longer then 30 seconds if someone choose Wifi or 3G option for speed.
ACTC Certified, ADC Member, & Owner of a ACN....
Reply
ACTC Certified, ADC Member, & Owner of a ACN....
Reply
post #18 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

Actually it's more like this:

Even though some mobile phones have had video capabilities for awhile now, it took Apple to finally make it easy enough for people to do it!

Agreed! Isn't that what I said?
post #19 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

If

Analysts like Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster forecast the company to sell over 16 million more iPhones during the duration of the current calendar year, the largest majority of which are expected to be 3GS models.

Addit m ][/url][/c]

16 million sold.

That is $5 billion in sales.
Maybe now they could add a keyboard...

<< please note i am in teckstud training >> if my comments do NOT offend please let me know .>>>
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #20 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

The new iPhone 3GS is so much more nimble than the original iPhone, you really have to think of its sales in multiple dimensions...
Apple didn't just sell 1 Million phones. In one weekend they sold:

1 Million video cameras - WITH video editing (that part is the magic!)
1 Million GPS navigators.
1 Million game consoles.
1 Million voice-recorders (or a 4-track studio with the app).
and don't forget 1 Million iPods.

or 1 Million whatever else full-feature tools the App Store offers.

Wow - it's like Sony back in the 80's. Where's the magic wand?
post #21 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

16 million sold.
That is $5 billion in sales.
Maybe now they could add a keyboard...

<< please note i am in teckstud training >> if my comments do NOT offend please let me know .>>>

Why do your numbers remind me of a McDonald's sign?
post #22 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Why do your numbers remind me of a McDonald's sign?

Hows my training coming along ?
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #23 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_arts View Post

texkstud is so sad

No I'm not- I gettin me an iPhone on Tuesday!!!
This 3Gs video uploading will make it so much easier for my pornblog ( just kidding).
post #24 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Hows my training coming along ?

Great! Remember just keep it short and sweet.
post #25 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Great! Remember just keep it short and sweet.

Thank you ole grand pooh bah
i just spent 1699 dollars

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
15.4-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
4GB memory
320GB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Built-in iSight camera
Illuminated keyboard
................................
The gaming worlds awaits me .

9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #26 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

16 million sold.

That is $5 billion in sales.

Actually, it is more like ~$9B in sales (assuming an average price of $550 per handset deal with ATT). At a net income margin of 15% and P/E ratio of 15 that is $20B in equity market cap (or approximately $22 per share).

Of course, that does not mean the stock price rises by that much, since a lot of it is 'replacement' value from an existing product; only a portion of it is from the incremental profit growth.
post #27 of 47
What you said doesn't acknowledge that the Quicktime X framework, the heart of what makes this possible, wasn't ready two years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Agreed! Isn't that what I said?
post #28 of 47
When will people quit thinking of the iPhone as just another consumer electronics product? It is a world beating, market changing, paradigm shifting, product redefining juggernaut. This is a perfect example of why AT&T did not allow Sling to work on their network. It is not that it can't be done on other phones; it is that on the iPhone, people would actually use it. Love it or hate it, the iPhone revolutionized the smartphone industry. Two years ago at Macworld, SJ said that the iPhone was at least five years ahead of anything else on the market. I am starting to believe it.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
post #29 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Additionally, persistent rumors have Apple equipping its next-generation iPods with similar camera capabilities, suggesting the growth witnessed by YouTube in mobile video usage over the past several days is only the tip of the iceberg.

Haha, can you imagine how badly that would show up the forthcoming Zune HD (barring Microsoft makes any last minute additions)?

And if a built-in camera supported video recording, there's a very good chance it would include...a built-in mic! Hello Skype calling sans headset.
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
Reply
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
Reply
post #30 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

What you said doesn't acknowledge that the Quicktime X framework, the heart of what makes this possible, wasn't ready two years ago.

Will that QuicktimeX framwork also make it easier for me to RIP my DVD's and movies easier than it is currently done.? Some will play in iTunes but not Apple TV and then not iPod and so on. It's like how many formats of the video do I need?
post #31 of 47
No Quicktime does not recognize, interact with, or play DVD's at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Will that QuicktimeX framwork also make it easier for me to RIP my DVD's and movies easier than it is currently done.? Some will play in iTunes but not Apple TV and then not iPod and so on. It's like how many formats of the video do I need?
post #32 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by plus View Post

The largest majority???

As opposed, perhaps, to all those other, smaller majorities?

May we recommend the esoteric term "vast" for such situations? (As in "vast majority", "preponderance", or even the more ponderous "majority by far".) I know it's comprised of but four letters, but its use surely would lend a greater verisimilitude of erudition!

Paul

This post screams awesome... in the face of small children... at the library.
post #33 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

hi brucep

sounds good, enjoy it!

-D
post #34 of 47
Why do people post it directly to youtube on the iphone 3gs? It down converts the resolution .
post #35 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Why do people post it directly to youtube on the iphone 3gs? It down converts the resolution .

Its quick and easy.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #36 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Thank you ole grand pooh bah
i just spent 1699 dollars

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
15.4-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
4GB memory
320GB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Built-in iSight camera
Illuminated keyboard
................................
The gaming worlds awaits me .

9

Time to catch up with Teckstud. Start to make all sorts of comments on how much you hate your own expensive, crappy, overhyped etc. etc. Apple-sucks-b***s MacBook Pro.
post #37 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Time to catch up with Teckstud. Start to make all sorts of comments on how much you hate your own expensive, crappy, overhyped etc. etc. Apple-sucks-b***s MacBook Pro.

YEA go name your self after a chip . Frito.
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #38 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

lol, when will youporn allow mobile uploads?

YES red tube is the one .
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #39 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

YES red tube is the one .

It's a pity Steve banned pr0n apps from the iPhone. Apple's probably losing millions a year in app, iPhone and Mac (for developers, etc.) sales.

And now with the video recording direct upload feature... <sigh> missed revenues, old Steve-o, you prude.
post #40 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

It's a pity Steve banned pr0n apps from the iPhone. Apple's probably losing millions a year in app, iPhone and Mac (for developers, etc.) sales.

And now with the video recording direct upload feature... <sigh> missed revenues, old Steve-o, you prude.

the porn apps are there on jailbroke phones . many many porn apps
Steve is concerned about pedophiles more than porn .
Porn is an un-stoppable force
Soft is as far as i go.
Lingerie and stuff


9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 3GS spurs 400% increase in mobile video uploads to YouTube