or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's profit margin on Mac minis slimmer than usual
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's profit margin on Mac minis slimmer than usual - Page 3

post #81 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

My emoticons reveal sarcasm.

Iam so stupid to miss that, I was gonna blast it but then i think, hey something is odd here in la la land .
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #82 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by filburt View Post

R&D for what? Selecting which hard disk to use? And Apple uses 3.5" SATA for iMac, Mac Pro, and xServe in more than sufficient enough quantity for bulk pricing. As for the durability of 2.5" SATA, they share the same density as the 3.5". 2.5" disks have worse reputation only because they are used on notebooks which are frequently moved from one place to another, often while they are spinning. Besides, many servers use 2.5" disks now.

HDDs are not the only part of the Mac Mini. If Apple is taking the MacBook components and making it a Mac Mini then there is a lot of that their engineers are well versed in already. That saves them a lot of time, and by extension money.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #83 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Any links to show proof of this ?

None. That's why I said "I suspect," because I really don't know. But the fact is we also don't know how iSuppy figures component costs. I think it's a fair guess that big buyers of components like Apple don't pay the published prices for them.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #84 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

What I'm really surprised is that you don't know what the term means or have any idea towards what it means and that is indeed a relevant term. Were you just released into society? This term has been around for quite a number of years.

Yes, and it has always been a very 'low end' term and as such says more about the person using it than the person it is pointed at. Its a broad gibe intended to offend. It generalizes stupidly. It is juvenile. I really don't think it ever did have a finer point. Why else would gender come into a debate where you wish to point out that somebody is unreasonably / blindly biased?
post #85 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Yes, and it has always been a very 'low end' term and as such says more about the person using it than the person it is pointed at. Its a broad gibe intended to offend. It generalizes stupidly. It is juvenile. I really don't think it ever did have a finer point. Why else would gender come into a debate where you wish to point out that somebody is unreasonably / blindly biased?

To put it another way, it's an insult -- and an insult is not an argument.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #86 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

Teckstud, you are a troll, believe me.

- You seem to hate everything Apple, and especially love to attack the iPhone (by the way, how's your new Pre doing?)
- Your English is second grade level: ... they'er still to high... (Sigh)
- With all the bitching, you still add the slogan "Once you go Mac, you never go back" to your postings.

But please don't leave us, we would miss you tremendously!

Trust me, using the "Block User" feature here on AI is a lifesaver.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #87 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by imGayForSteveJobs View Post

Here comes the "But I don't want cheap hardware" argument. Apple PC's use the same hardware, intel processors, nvidia graphics.. Now if they could only fix those display problems...

You imply that since Apple uses the same hardware parts in their computers, that some how it should make them equal, in price and performance, to generic PCs. That's pure hogwash. If this was remotely true, there wouldn't be the famous brand loyalty for you trolls to enjoy. Apple makes better computers using generic parts, yes, but with quality in software and hardware design. Apple computers are the envy of the computer market, even if the MS trolls are in denial.

I'm not a fanboy to Apple Inc. I AM a fanboy to their computers. Plain & Simple. They can charge what the market will bear. I'll be buying, still.
post #88 of 201
One thing people don't seem to account for is that Apple puts a lot more effort into the industrial design process than most companies. You pay for that. You pay for the salaries of talented industrial designers who spend many man hours making decisions about things other companies don't bother with. I imagine them fretting over every little radius and angle. Arguing for days over choice of plastic for the case or the jacket for the cables. Look inside a Mac and see how the inside is often as beautiful as the outside. Pay attention to how they feel and sound. Etc Etc Etc. The cost of the 3rd party components is only part of the expense of a Mac.

Some humans care about these sort of details and are willing to pay for it. Others don't care and think it is silly to pay for such things. That seems to always be the argument that is at the center of every Mac vs El Cheapo computer discussion here. NEWSFLASH FOR EL CHEAPOS: Apple will never make the douchey, craptastic products you want them to make. Nothing to see here. Move along.
post #89 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Bias is they key ingredient. Nothing Apple does is ever considered wrong or average.

From Wiki:


read more here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_(aficionado)

What I'm really surprised is that you don't know what the term means or have any idea towards what it means and that is indeed a relevant term. Were you just released into society? This term has been around for quite a number of years.

This is too funny coming from the same person who, just a couple of days ago, chided another poster about sourcing from Wikipedia:
Quote:
And for future reference, I wouldn't be posting links from Wiki for definitions. I would use something a trifle more accurate like Webster's- just so you know.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...6&postcount=74
post #90 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

This is too funny coming from the same person who, just a couple of days ago, chided another poster about sourcing from Wikipedia:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...6&postcount=74

Game. Set. Match.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #91 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

HDDs are not the only part of the Mac Mini. If Apple is taking the MacBook components and making it a Mac Mini then there is a lot of that their engineers are well versed in already. That saves them a lot of time, and by extension money.

I don't follow. Apple makes Macs using desktop components. Besides, desktops are much easier to engineer, with cheaper components, and better understood than notebooks (they are not exclusive knowledge).
post #92 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

You imply that since Apple uses the same hardware parts in their computers, that some how it should make them equal, in price and performance, to generic PCs. That's pure hogwash. If this was remotely true, there wouldn't be the famous brand loyalty for you trolls to enjoy. Apple makes better computers using generic parts, yes, but with quality in software and hardware design. Apple computers are the envy of the computer market, even if the MS trolls are in denial.

I'm not a fanboy to Apple Inc. I AM a fanboy to their computers. Plain & Simple. They can charge what the market will bear. I'll be buying, still.

Thanks for bolding the word 'parts' as I probably wouldn't have been able to understand otherwise. Apple makes better computers with generic parts? How? By distancing those parts different or something? The envy of the computer market? This is why I come here. For pure laughs. Scoreboard.
post #93 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

The reason I see bias is because there is bias.
When someone says for 2 years that the iPhone doesn't need or want MMS, video, or cut and paste and then champions it only because Apple then provides it, how else do you make a deduction and what do you call it? When posters defend Apple's ommission of firewire on a MAcBook and it gets added back on and won't admit Apple made a mistake- what do you call that? The same thing for matte screens. Remember - they were supposed to be nevermore according to the fanboys because Apple wasn't giving them. The comes the 17"- and it gets matte. And watch the others will also get matte(I'd bet) because it is far superior (glare does suck) regardless of fanboys assertion that noobody wants matte. They only say what Apple currently provides is what you need. Meanwhile netbooks sales are through the roof yet fanboys were saying, whenever I mentioned it, that a small formed device between 7-11" was no good - the MBA was all we needed. Then the rumours leaked and they all embrace it. It is a very sad train of thought actually.
The term is real and alive.

Yeah this really bugs me too. It's funny the number of people who said that auto-focus cameras and video were so not needed on the iPhone, yet they were all falling over themselves to buy the 3GS when it came out to have an auto-focus camera and video. It cracks me up that whatever product Apple currently sells is the absolute pinnacle of excellence, with all the features that anyone would ever need, at a price that's perfectly justifiable. This view then conveniently changes as soon as Apple announces their next product. I've posted in and observed the AppleInsider forum for a long while now, and it's truely like watching a herd of sheep following each other around. It's sad really, as it's like these people simply don't have a mind of their own.
post #94 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by filburt View Post

I don't follow. Apple makes Macs using desktop components. Besides, desktops are much easier to engineer, with cheaper components, and better understood than notebooks (they are not exclusive knowledge).

The Mac Pro, not exactly a consumer machine, is the only Mac that uses a non-notebook-grade processor in the entire Mac line.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #95 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Yeah this really bugs me too. It's funny the number of people who said that auto-focus cameras and video were so not needed on the iPhone, yet they were all falling over themselves to buy the 3GS when it came out to have an auto-focus camera and video. It cracks me up that whatever product Apple currently sells is the absolute pinnacle of excellence, with all the features that anyone would ever need, at a price that's perfectly justifiable. This view then conveniently changes as soon as Apple announces their next product. I've posted in and observed the AppleInsider forum for a long while now, and it's truely like watching a herd of sheep following each other around.

I can do without camera altogether, but there is a huge divide between saying Apple is doomed and that they are screwing the customers by not including everything under the sun in the first release, as opposed to stating that it’s not the most important feature for the device. If Apple came out of the gate trying to make a phone that did everything and was available to all carriers the sales would have been higher at the start but I don’t think we’d be talking about the success of the iPhone today and I don’t think we’d have seen a change in the way OEMs and carriers do business. It would be just like every other feature rich but poorly developed device. Shrinking OS X is not the same as running a mobile OS designed for much older and slower HW.

To claim that Apple sucks and are artificially holding back copy/paste and MMS and video recording when jailbreakers have technically done it is short-sided and illogical. Most of us knew these features were eventually coming, even if we don’t care for some of them *cough* MMS is a ripoff *cough* but we didn’t make hyperbolic accusations as to why Apple didn’t include them when “every phone has had these features for 20 years”.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #96 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by abby1448 View Post

The $387.14 is purely the cost of the hardware. There are also cost to assemble it, packaging, cost of the software (there's still cost even if the software is in house), cost of marketing and distribution.


Naturally Apple should not be paid for R & D. : )
post #97 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can do without camera altogether, but there is a huge divide between saying Apple is doomed and that they are screwing the customers by not including everything under the sun in the first release, as opposed to stating that it’s not the most important feature for the device. If Apple came out of the gate trying to make a phone that did everything and was available to all carriers the sales would have been higher at the start but I don’t think we’d be talking about the success of the iPhone today and I don’t think we’d have seen a change in the way OEMs and carriers do business. It would be just like every other feature rich but poorly developed device. Shrinking OS X is not the same as running a mobile OS designed for much older and slower HW.

To claim that Apple sucks and are artificially holding back copy/paste and MMS and video recording when jailbreakers have technically done it is short-sided and illogical. Most of us knew these features were eventually coming, even if we don’t care for some of them *cough* MMS is a ripoff *cough* but we didn’t make hyperbolic accusations as to why Apple didn’t include them when “every phone has had these features for 20 years”.

I'm not making any judgments as to why Apple did or didn't do what they did. I'm merely commenting on how the rest of the pack always seem to blindly follow the leader, belittling and deriding those who don't do the same, then quickly backtracking when the leader takes a new course.
post #98 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

I'm not making any judgments as to why Apple did or didn't do what they did. I'm merely commenting on how the rest of the pack always seem to blindly follow the leader, belittling and deriding those who don't do the same, then quickly backtrack when the leader takes a new course.

There are some on both sides that are mostly all or nothing in their comments, usually pushing comments that are worded as absolutes, but I think most people here are more rational about their expectations even though they get pushed into the opposing category by those at the extreme ends who can’t see the middle ground.

Constantly complaining that it doesn’t have the HW you want should not be confused with speculating what the next HW upgrade will likely be.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #99 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Manufacturing was included but not packing material (cardboard box, manual, etc.) but that is probably not much, maybe around $10 or $20 (or even less, I have no idea really).

What is missing from this information is indeed how much an Apple retailer is paying for these. In Europe, a VAT between 15 and 25% has to be factored in as well.
Assuming a reseller has a $50 margin, Apple would get $550 for the base mini. If you factor in, packaging and transport and distribution, Apple is paying at least $400 to ship one base mini to a retailer. In other words a $150 'raw' margin. Now, factor in the OS, $120 (assuming that is what Apple would get from a retailer for the OS), and you end up with a grand total of $30 from which to finance the whole hardware development and testing. And only after that comes profit.

What is obvious, is that Apple is essentially able to sell their OS (where a lot of their genius is) at different prices to different people. Those buying a cheap Mac 'pay' much less for the OS, those getting a top-of-the-line pay a lot more. That is how their business works. Their biggest assets is software and by bundling it with hardware they can extract the maximum price in each market segment.

Those are direct costs. There are indirect costs, too. Equipment and plant amortizement, overhead, staff salaries, advertising, etc.

What I don't like, and I've bellyached about in other threads is the high cost of memory. Apple pays $10 for a GB, but if you opt for 4 GB's, the charge is $150 (plus that original $10 for the first GB)). That's actually $160. If Apple pays $40 (which I doubt), that's 300% profit.
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
post #100 of 201
sorry, double post.
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
post #101 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Mac Mini's are a gateway drug. Apple would sell them at a loss.

totally agree, first hand experence
post #102 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by imGayForSteveJobs View Post

Thanks for bolding the word 'parts' as I probably wouldn't have been able to understand otherwise. Apple makes better computers with generic parts? How? By distancing those parts different or something? The envy of the computer market? This is why I come here. For pure laughs. Scoreboard.

The emphasis on 'parts' was indeed mind not yours. I did it because you seems to expect if someone uses the same cheap parts, they should also sell it cheap. Normally I'd disregard a juvenile comment, but since your handle begs for argument:

I have a pretty much average penis. However, what I do with it and where I put it, makes all the difference in the world to me.

Apple doesn't just build computers. They design them with care to detail for present and future technologies, even if the detail and choices make no sense to a few. This forward thinking vision is IMHO the very reason Apple computers can be used foe a much longer time than other PCs. The software and hardware design works well together, even if sometimes Apple blows it.

If I could say the same for other PC manufacturers and OS developers, I'd be buying them instead or at least have more choices, but as it is now, the only choice for me is Apple Macintosh.
post #103 of 201
I find it interesting that iSuppli says Apple is using a processor that isn't on Intel's price list and then estimating the cost for it.

People can argue performance, theoretical reliability and international pricing all day. When all is said and done the Mac mini offers good performance in a very small, energy efficient and low cost package. Even more impressive is the fact that it has been Apple's most reliable computer model since it was introduced back in 2005 with a G4 processor. Talk with service providers and they'll tell you the only time they ever see the inside of a Mac mini is to do upgrades.

Once Snow Leopard comes out I plan to get a mini for my kids and, when I can afford it, one for the living room.
post #104 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The Mac Pro, not exactly a consumer machine, is the only Mac that uses a non-notebook-grade processor in the entire Mac line.

They don't use a desktop version of the core2duo in the iMac?
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #105 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

This is too funny coming from the same person who, just a couple of days ago, chided another poster about sourcing from Wikipedia:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...6&postcount=74

I was waiting for this. That is because"fanboy' is an urban slang word - probably not it the dictionary. I could be wrong. The other poster was wiki me something that is a common word in the English language- and that word was "bias'.

It's kind of bizarre to have such fans that follow my every word and bring it right back up to me.
post #106 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by imGayForSteveJobs View Post

Here comes the "But I don't want cheap hardware" argument. Apple PC's use the same hardware, intel processors, nvidia graphics..

You're mistaking the markings on a few of the major VLSI chips as somehow conveying all that makes up a computer. And you are very wrong.

Computer manufacturers can cut corners by using fewer, and lower quality, bypass and filter capacitors. They can use lower-quality analog parts (opamps, power amps, etc.) on their sound systems. They can use low-cost, and less reliable, cheap connectors for everything from the expansion slots to the headphone output jacks.

They can elect to use low-end, poor quality fans or even fans with bushings rather than high-quality bearings. They can use two or three temperature sensors rather than the couple of dozen found in a Mac Pro. They can save money by not having thermal engineers involved, and, instead, by blasting fans at full speed. They can use undersized heatsinks and high-speed fans rather than taking the more expensive route of using large, high-end heatsinks and large, low-RPM, quiet fans. Ever wonder why Apple Mac Pros, Minis, and iMacs are so much quieter than other brands of desktop computers?

They can use a cheap plastic case with poor shielding and limited resistance to flex. They can make motherboards with fewer layers that radiate more EMI and/or are more susceptible to instability from external EMI. They can use non-ECC RAM in their tower systems. They can choose not to have riser boards for RAM, making upgrades harder and cooling less effective.

See, I'm an engineer. I know that Sun, Apple, Acer, and MSI all buy CPUs from Intel. That doesn't mean that all of the systems are of equal quality.
post #107 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

The reason I see bias is because there is bias.
When someone says for 2 years that the iPhone doesn't need or want MMS, video, or cut and paste and then champions it only because Apple then provides it, how else do you make a deduction and what do you call it? When posters defend Apple's ommission of firewire on a MAcBook and it gets added back on and won't admit Apple made a mistake- what do you call that? The same thing for matte screens. Remember - they were supposed to be nevermore according to the fanboys because Apple wasn't giving them. The comes the 17"- and it gets matte. And watch the others will also get matte(I'd bet) because it is far superior (glare does suck) regardless of fanboys assertion that noobody wants matte. They only say what Apple currently provides is what you need. Meanwhile netbooks sales are through the roof yet fanboys were saying, whenever I mentioned it, that a small formed device between 7-11" was no good - the MBA was all we needed. Then the rumours leaked and they all embrace it. It is a very sad train of thought actually.
The term is real and alive.

And herein lies the trouble. You're using "someone" without being specific, allowing you to create an aggregate "fanboy" by cherry picking (or simply misrepresenting) opinions from multiple posters on multiple topics over long periods of time, as if each Apple user must be held responsible for and remain consistent with every other Apple user or be revealed as a fanboy hypocrite.

This is how it generally works the internet over-- anyone expressing satisfaction with anything Apple does (or failing to belittle them or not getting excited about something Microsoft has done) is immediately branded a "fanboy" because "they" or "them" or "Apple users" or "people like that" have said something else, somewhere else, some other time.

The crux seems to be developing an opinion about Apple users in general which is then used to castigate each Apple user in particular, which is, not to put too fine a point on it, bullshit.

So if you read any other tech blog's comments, you'll see, over and over again, that when someone make a mild remark expressing support of Apple they are immediately met with a hail of "Here we go!" and "The fanboys are rushing to their master Jobs's defense!" and "Typical fanboy LOL stop blowing Steve and get a clue LOL!"

Really, it's pretty tiresome and at this point seems to be little more than an "acceptable" outlet for the kind of tribal animosities that might otherwise get directed toward race or religion. If you take a look at the level of vitriol that gets slung around you have to assume that the "death to fanboy" brigade are simply excitable bigots who can't get it up for the old standbys.

So unless you can give us some specifics about specific posters insisting that, say, the iPhone doesn't and never will need MMS, and those same posters immediately declaring the inclusion of MMS on the iPhone some kind of Apple triumph, you're just blowing smoke out of your ass.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #108 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

They don't use a desktop version of the core2duo in the iMac?

They still use the “mobile” processors due to heat. This means that that an iMac compared to a desktop tower, even a small tower, will more expensive and slower.

Intel has designed new Core2Quads that have a lower TPD. They’ve stated these are designed for All-In-One machines so I can’t help but think that Apple will be using them as I can’t imagine Intel designing these low-power desktop chips for the very scarce AIOs of other vendors. The price is nearly the same for the processor, and potentially more costly for Apple if they are buying less chips of one type, but the speed increase for the same pricepoint is more than sufficient to benefit the consumer.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #109 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Yeah this really bugs me too. It's funny the number of people who said that auto-focus cameras and video were so not needed on the iPhone, yet they were all falling over themselves to buy the 3GS when it came out to have an auto-focus camera and video. It cracks me up that whatever product Apple currently sells is the absolute pinnacle of excellence, with all the features that anyone would ever need, at a price that's perfectly justifiable. This view then conveniently changes as soon as Apple announces their next product. I've posted in and observed the AppleInsider forum for a long while now, and it's truely like watching a herd of sheep following each other around. It's sad really, as it's like these people simply don't have a mind of their own.

You rang ??
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #110 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

And herein lies the trouble. You're using "someone" without being specific, allowing you to create an aggregate "fanboy" by cherry picking (or simply misrepresenting) opinions from multiple posters on multiple topics over long periods of time, as if each Apple user must be held responsible for and remain consistent with every other Apple user or be revealed as a fanboy hypocrite.

This is how it generally works the internet over-- anyone expressing satisfaction with anything Apple does (or failing to belittle them or not getting excited about something Microsoft has done) is immediately branded a "fanboy" because "they" or "them" or "Apple users" or "people like that" have said something else, somewhere else, some other time.

The crux seems to be developing an opinion about Apple users in general which is then used to castigate each Apple user in particular, which is, not to put too fine a point on it, bullshit.

So if you read any other tech blog's comments, you'll see, over and over again, that when someone make a mild remark expressing support of Apple they are immediately met with a hail of "Here we go!" and "The fanboys are rushing to their master Jobs's defense!" and "Typical fanboy LOL stop blowing Steve and get a clue LOL!"

Really, it's pretty tiresome and at this point seems to be little more than an "acceptable" outlet for the kind of tribal animosities that might otherwise get directed toward race or religion. If you take a look at the level of vitriol that slung around you have to assume that the "death to fanboy" brigade are simply excitable bigots who can't get it up for the old standbys.

So unless you can give us some specifics about specific posters insisting that, say, the iPhone doesn't and never will need MMS, and those same posters immediately declaring the inclusion of MMS on the iPhone some kind of Apple triumph, you're just blowing smoke out of your ass.

Good try. No -I'm not - I don't have time to directly look for all these quotes just to appease your denial. You know they exist- yet want to conitinually play this game of tit for tat. I have a life. Other's have agreed with me - it is a totally recognizable trait.
Enough said.
post #111 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

'Apple Tax' is a silly term right up there with 'fanboy', the use of which signifies low intelligence, lack of insight and plain old laziness. Please, lets refrain from using stupid terminology whenever possible.

Roger... Pacman.
post #112 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Good try. No -I'm not - I don't have time to directly look for all these quotes just to appease your denial. You know they exist- yet want to conitinually play this game of tit for tat. I have a life. Other's have agreed with me - it is a totally recognizable trait.
Enough said.

AKA "my prejudice is shared by others so why should I make any effort to discern if it's fair"?

It's easy to make any group out as wrong if you don't have to deal in particulars. Just start with "you know how they are" and use each individual example as "proof" that "they" are indeed like that.

Since individual people express a very broad range of opinions and behaviors, you'll never lack for "evidence". You will, however, be a bigoted asshole.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #113 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

I'm not making any judgments as to why Apple did or didn't do what they did. I'm merely commenting on how the rest of the pack always seem to blindly follow the leader, belittling and deriding those who don't do the same, then quickly backtracking when the leader takes a new course.

See my posts above. Be specific or don't go there.

Which posters belittled and derided who, about what, and then backtracked?

Seems to me you're just another person who doesn't like being disagreed with (who does?), so instead of having the courage of your convictions to debate any particular topic, on the merits, on a case to case basis, you're just going to go with "the people that disagree with me are collectively wrong and mean and sheep like" as a blanket dismissal.

That's kinda bullshitty and self aggrandizing, IMO. It allows you to play the role of intrepid free thinker going against the tide without ever having to actually put up any evidence that that's the case. Getting peeved at two or three posters for disagreeing with you in terms you find "fanboyish" is not evidence for "a pack" "blindly following its leader" that you, in your liberated objectivity, are obliged to confront.

Call out individuals for whatever, if you see fit. But the elaborate sighing over "them" is cheap and lazy.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #114 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I was waiting for this. That is because"fanboy' is an urban slang word - probably not it the dictionary. I could be wrong. The other poster was wiki me something that is a common word in the English language- and that word was "bias'.

It's kind of bizarre to have such fans that follow my every word and bring it right back up to me.

Quote:
fanboy |ˈfanˌboi|
noun
informal derogatory an obsessive male fan (usually of movies, comic books, or science fiction).
ORIGIN from fan 2 + boy .

That definition comes from the Dictionary application - you know, the one included with every Macintosh computer. You can also find the definition in the online Merriam-Webster disctionary. Your explanation sounds duplicitous to me but I am sure you will find some other reason why it is appropriate for you to source from Wikipedia yet inappropriate for others.

By the way, I am no fan of yours. You seem to live in a world where a half-full glass is almost empty. I try to avoid people like that.

For better or worse, I am blessed with excellent memory and am able to recall much of what I read from here or elsewhere. Of course, you oversized sense of self has once again led you to the wrong conclusion.
post #115 of 201
Quote:
See my posts above. Be specific or don't go there.

Which posters belittled and derided who, about what, and then backtracked?

I'm talking about trends and the general direction that opinions go. Threads, posts and posters span years, and I haven't the time or inclination to go hunting them down. 2 years ago it was perfectly acceptable for the iPhone to have a rubbish 2mp camera. And yet now it has a 3.2mp camera with auto-focus (which is still pretty low-mid end now). If the 2mp was sufficient, why has this been changed? I think the fact the 3GS is selling so well just goes to show that the lack of some decent hardware features was really holding back the 2G and 3G since they all share the same broad software feature set.
post #116 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Who cares? Apple makes up for it by their ridiculous gross ups on their MacBook, iPhones , iPods, etc so that this means nothing. Not to mention the $10 Apple tax on the iPod Touch ugrade. Fanboys can defend all they want but the reality is Apple is overpriced for what is inside the devices.
Apple just dropped prices and they'er still to high. That white MacBook for $1000? Indeed!

Maybe Apple should elect you to the board so you can set them all straight, eh Teckstud?

Here is the deal: Manufacturers design, produce, and market a product, and the consumer (you) decides whether or not to buy the product at the price point offered.

It doesn't seem like anyone forced you to buy a mac, or an iPhone, or any other Apple product for that matter. So, whining and complaining because you think the evil Apple overlords have abused you by charging too much is just silly (and that is the nice way of saying it.)

Why don't you just go buy an $800 Dell and go hang out on winSuperSite? The way you carry on, it seems like that would be more palatable for all of us.
post #117 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

I'm talking about trends and the general direction that opinions go. Threads, posts and posters span years, and I haven't the time or inclination to go hunting them down.

Cheap and lazy, as the man said. If you have an argument with something some actual person said, then take that up with that person. If you can't be bothered, and insist on generalizing about "them" -- then be aware that your argument will sound a lot like bigotry.

Quote:
2 years ago it was perfectly acceptable for the iPhone to have a rubbish 2mp camera. And yet now it has a 3.2mp camera with auto-focus (which is still pretty low-mid end now). If the 2mp was sufficient, why has this been changed? I think the fact the 3GS is selling so well just goes to show that the lack of some decent hardware features was really holding back the 2G and 3G since they all share the same broad software feature set.

Or because these products are always improving and responding to new technologies and developments in markets? Two years ago I couldn't buy a home theater with a Blu-ray player, now I can choose from a whole bunch of them. Were the manufacturers wrong to have not sold them before?
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #118 of 201
Quote:
Cheap and lazy, as the man said. If you have an argument with something some actual person said, then take that up with that person. If you can't be bothered, and insist on generalizing about "them" -- then be aware that your argument will sound a lot like bigotry.

Fine by me. I'm entitled to my opinion

Quote:
Or because these products are always improving and responding to new technologies and developments in markets? Two years ago I couldn't buy a home theater with a Blu-ray player, now I can choose from a whole bunch of them. Were the manufacturers wrong to have not sold them before?

That's fine, but the technology WAS there 2 years ago, Apple just deliberately missed it out to gauge money later on when it introduced an amazing 3.2mp auto-focus camera. There's a difference between not selling technology because it's not available, and not selling it simply because you want to introduce it as an 'amazing' new feature later on. Apple is supposed to be about making revolutionary products (which the 2G iPhone was, and OS 2.0 was) but Apple have since just tacked on some minor hardware and software changes. It certainly seems as if Apple didn't put much effort into the 3GS, and some of the parts they tossed into it have been available for years anyway.
post #119 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

The reason I see bias is because there is bias.
When someone says for 2 years that the iPhone doesn't need or want MMS, video, or cut and paste and then champions it only because Apple then provides it, how else do you make a deduction and what do you call it? When posters defend Apple's ommission of firewire on a MAcBook and it gets added back on and won't admit Apple made a mistake- what do you call that? The same thing for matte screens. Remember - they were supposed to be nevermore according to the fanboys because Apple wasn't giving them. The comes the 17"- and it gets matte. And watch the others will also get matte(I'd bet) because it is far superior (glare does suck) regardless of fanboys assertion that noobody wants matte. They only say what Apple currently provides is what you need. Meanwhile netbooks sales are through the roof yet fanboys were saying, whenever I mentioned it, that a small formed device between 7-11" was no good - the MBA was all we needed. Then the rumours leaked and they all embrace it. It is a very sad train of thought actually.
The term is real and alive.

This is all a bunch of garbage. Your definition of fan boy amounts to this: "anyone who disagrees with you." As a matter of fact, that is how you consistently use the term: whenever someone doesn't agree with whatever negative effluent you have to spill out at the particular time.

You don't seem to get the fact that you, mr. teckstud, are not the prototype upon which all humanity is based, and therefor your particular interests or desires in a product do not act as the reference model for what every product designed by anyone ought to be. Furthermore, you interpret something like the removal of firewire, and then its addition again, as acknowledgment of a mistake, when you don't have a clue as to what drove those choices. You don't know if it was a costing decision, a space consideration, or whatever. Heck, maybe they were in fact mistakes. Maybe they misjudged the market, realized the gaffe, and corrected. Who the heck actually cares? The problem with you is that your belief is that anything Apple does which contradicts your own personal views and tastes is a mistake. And of course, anyone who doesn't see it that way is a 'fan boy'.
post #120 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Fine by me. I'm entitled to my opinion

If you don't mind sounding like a bigot, then presumably you won't be surprised when your opinions are suitably ignored.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's profit margin on Mac minis slimmer than usual