or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's latest high-end MacBook Air slower than predecessor

Apple's latest high-end MacBook Air slower than predecessor - Page 2

post #41 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I'm considering a new MBA sometime next year to replace my current 1g MBA. Not for necessity's sake. I would like a larger drive (SSD/SATA). That is pretty much my only requirement. The graphics update would be icing. Nonetheless, I am quite happy with my current MBA.

Why don't you switch out your HD for a larger one?
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #42 of 69
Quote:

True words to the end. He's really good at criticizing products he doesn't even own.

I own the first-gen MBA. By far the best laptop I've ever owned. It's my first Mac laptop. VMware/XP outperforms my prior Sony Vaio laptop running native XP. Figure that. My needs were more mobility than outright performance. Include the fact the aluminum construction has it built like a tank keeping my MBA from getting tweaked going from site to site. I haven't met one disgruntled MBA owner in my travels and there have been quite a few of them.

That's not to say an MBA is for everyone because it certainly isn't. But if mobility and good performance is what you need, the MBA delivers on its promise. Certain people (teckstud) put price above all else. You get what you pay for. All my other non-Apple laptops would have been showing signs of physical stress by now. My MBA still is as solid as the day I bought it.

As far as Teckstud's usual lame comments about netbooks, they truly suck. Our company bought a bunch of them for the mobile sales force based on exactly what Teckstud mentioned. They were cheap. Well, they are all sitting on a shelf in the admin's office gathering dust. The mobile forced refused to use them after about a week or two because the performance was horrible. Just like Teckstud's opinions.

Some people just will never learn.

So... If someone's opinion isn't exactly the same as yours, they're a troll and an idiot?

I happen to agree with his point. Now that there is a 13-inch MacBook Pro, I see little benefit in the MacBook Air for the average, casual user. It's a very niche product, and not something I'd ever recommend to someone interested in buying a Mac notebook.
post #43 of 69
The MBA has two problems that keep me from purchasing one. The first and largest reason is the lackluster battery life. 7 hours minimum should be attainable. Size or footprint is the next not so important anymore to me reason. I want a 10" but I can live with the footprint now instead.

Speed is not that important and I wouldn't expect the MBA to perform great being worked hard like in the test. It seems if that was the case they wouldn't have removed fans. It has an entirely intended differen use as a supplement IMHO.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #44 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I don't know about having a drink with him but I'd definitely like to whip him. His irreverence is astounding. But like you said, it keeps things ticking along.

I was here late one night and he held his own against kasper I was like . wow even mods and admins talk to him.
>>
Back ON topic . Maybe they SLOWED DOWN the M B AIR clockspeed to lessen the high heat ??
So wadda ya think ?
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #45 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

The MBA has two problems that keep me from purchasing one. The first and largest reason is the lackluster battery life. 7 hours minimum should be attainable. Size or footprint is the next not so important anymore to me reason. I want a 10" but I can live with the footprint now instead.

Speed is not that important and I wouldn't expect the MBA to perform great being worked hard like in the test. It seems if that was the case they wouldn't have removed fans. It has an entirely intended differen use as a supplement IMHO.

Well excuse me dude, but it has just been reported here at AI That mossberg states that the MB has the best battery life ever ever ever .

So go run free and buy that MBP 13
' You always wanted . I . Its uni bod cast alum body is sexy sleek . And it has more controlled power than the 17'MBP of 2 yrs AGO.

peace
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #46 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

So... If someone's opinion isn't exactly the same as yours, they're a troll and an idiot?

Depends how they present their "opinion."
post #47 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I thought that when they only had white Macbooks but the unibody Macbooks are actually lighter than the 12" Powerbook. The only issue is that it's glossy.

I could give a flip about weight - form factor!

Once again, FORM FACTOR - the physical footprint. All of the current Apple notebooks are way too big - including the 13".

And I prefer the glossy screen, so that doesn't bother me either. My 12" PB screen is much dimmer, and it can be annoying in full sun where the MBP is easily readable.

Quote:
2010 should bring the death of the internal optical drive (force external and just add a USB port) and the MB will pretty much transition into a more functional, cheaper MBA and the lowest 15" MBP will just drop down in price. The plastic MB can go altogether.

All of that is well and good, but they really need something with the same dimensions as the PB G4 12". Would blow netbooks out of the water....
post #48 of 69
Speedmark is a joke. My 2.8 iMac is supposedly 2.5 times quicker than my dual 1.8 G4.

In reality, the iMac is on its knees while the G4 is still thinking about pushing the second processor.

Anyone who puts stock in these tests is doing himself a disservice.
post #49 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

I was here late one night and he held his own against kasper I was like . wow even mods and admins talk to him.

More like how teachers spend extra time on kids being annoying because for them even negative attention is a good thing and that's the only kind they know how to get. He pretty much knows that if he stays below a certain level he'll never get smacked by the banstick.

Which is why I usually refrain from responding to him but every so often you kinda just need to smack him down a bit just for fun.
post #50 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

More like how teachers spend extra time on kids being annoying because for them even negative attention is a good thing and that's the only kind they know how to get. He pretty much knows that if he stays below a certain level he'll never get smacked by the banstick.

Which is why I usually refrain from responding to him but every so often you kinda just need to smack him down a bit just for fun.

At the end of the day, this.
post #51 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

I could give a flip about weight - form factor!

Once again, FORM FACTOR - the physical footprint. All of the current Apple notebooks are way too big - including the 13".

It's only 2" wider:

http://theappleblog.com/2009/02/11/1...rue-successor/

At the same pixel density, it has to be wider for you to get more pixels. The old one was only 1024 x 768. The new one is 1280 x 800. I would find it difficult to work on 1024 x 768 these days and widescreen is far better for movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

All of that is well and good, but they really need something with the same dimensions as the PB G4 12". Would blow netbooks out of the water....

I think it will be tricky making the right choices whatever it is.

I see a need for a cheaper, basic computer that does email, internet, photos, etc but with a really intuitive interface like the iphone has. Although it could be said that the iphone is exactly that, people need a bigger screen.

If they make it a full computer, it will need to run on Atom or some other low power ULV Intel chip and it will affect sales of the Air. If they make it an iphone-type platform, it will need all new apps - Apple supplied ones are ok but doesn't cover all IM programs. If they simply make it an ipod/iphone dock, I think it will be a tough sell as people will question whether the bigger screen is really necessary if the limitations of the mobile devices still exist.
post #52 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

I happen to agree with his point. Now that there is a 13-inch MacBook Pro, I see little benefit in the MacBook Air for the average, casual user. It's a very niche product, and not something I'd ever recommend to someone interested in buying a Mac notebook.

When an individual has plenty of criticisms about products without ever actually owning them, what else would you call it? It's teckstud's style. Be it an iPhone/AT&T, shuffle, MBA, you name it, he owns none of these items yet has no problem being abusive to other individuals for providing real-world opinions versus his made-up/fabricated statistics. Opinions are one thing. Claiming things are a certain way when they are not is something else.

Nowhere in my post did I call Teckstud and idiot. It seems that you called him that all by yourself.

The MBA is a niche product. Apple has never implied it to be more than that and it is certainly not a product for the average user. However, because it is not for the average user does not mean there isn't a market for it. This is highly-mobile product, even more-so than the 13" MBP. The weight difference between the two gets heavy when it's being carried every day from place to place.

Most of my recommendations are for non-MBA notebooks. I have recommended MBA's to colleagues and friends after they see me using mine. Those that have purchased an MBA have had nothing but high-praise for them. My MBA recommendations are only for those highly-mobile, business professionals and not for the every day Joe that wants to use it as a primary machine.
post #53 of 69
Quote:

Why don't you switch out your HD for a larger one?

My 1st-gen MBA has a ZIF/PATA interface. The newer MBA's have SATA. I cannot find ZIF/PATA SSD drives higher that 64GB. My MBA has the 80GB hard drive. If I could find just an SSD drive in the 120GB+ range, I would really have no need to purchase a newer MBA. By all means, if you know somewhere I could find one, I would really be interested in knowing. There have been statements by companies that were introducing higher-capacity PATA/SSD drives but they never actually made them.
post #54 of 69
Quote:

My 1st-gen MBA has a ZIF/PATA interface. The newer MBA's have SATA. I cannot find ZIF/PATA SSD drives higher that 64GB. My MBA has the 80GB hard drive. If I could find just an SSD drive in the 120GB+ range, I would really have no need to purchase a newer MBA. By all means, if you know somewhere I could find one, I would really be interested in knowing. There have been statements by companies that were introducing higher-capacity PATA/SSD drives but they never actually made them.

SSD sound super stable and instant on .

good luck . it will be a short wait seeing how fast SSD is coming along
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #55 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Are mobile C2Qs with a similar TPD the current C2Ds Apple uses even available yet?

No but Nehalem will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage

Putting Mac OS X on a tablet is like putting a steering wheel on a motorcycle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage

Putting Mac OS X on a tablet is like putting a steering wheel on a motorcycle.
post #56 of 69
Quote:

Is this your card?
http://www.memoryc.com/products/desc...isk/index.html
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #57 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I guess what this means is, it's about time to roll out the four core ultra cool notebook processors, because these dual cores are topping out.

Snow Leopard, with Grand Central certainly has a play in this.

I suspect the next issue of MacBooks will be updates to the MBA's with 4 cores, SSD and SD.

Quote:

Are mobile C2Qs with a similar TPD the current C2Ds Apple uses even available yet?

To have a quad-core Nehalem with the TDP of the current dual-core Nehalems will require a process shrink from 45nm to 32nm. Until Intel offer quad-core 32nm processors next year, I don't expect to see a quad-core Apple laptop.

Quote:

2010 should bring the death of the internal optical drive (force external and just add a USB port) and the MB will pretty much transition into a more functional, cheaper MBA and the lowest 15" MBP will just drop down in price. The plastic MB can go altogether.

My expectation is that the next major case redesign will witness the convergence of the MacBook Pro and the MacBook Air. I think both the optical drive and the hard drive will be replaced by SSD on the motherboard. That will increase performance, battery life, and reliability while reducing weight, thickness, and cost.

Quote:

At the same pixel density, it has to be wider for you to get more pixels.

We shouldn't need to suffer the same pixel density. I want a pixel density of at least 200ppi. Resolution Independence is the answer.
Mac user since August 1983.
Mac user since August 1983.
post #58 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

T
We shouldn't need to suffer the same pixel density. I want a pixel density of at least 200ppi. Resolution Independence is the answer.

Resolution Independence ???
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #59 of 69
Quote:

Resolution Independence ???

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=resolution+independence
post #60 of 69
Quote:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=resolution+independence

How did you do that ?
You are quite funny , almost british.

thanks .
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #61 of 69
Quote:

How did you do that ?

Seriously, Bruce? You need more help with Google? You may feel silly after this one.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=let+me+google+that+for+you&l=1
post #62 of 69
Quote:

Seriously, Bruce? You need more help with Google? You may feel silly after this one.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=let+me+google+that+for+you&l=1

I meant how did you make that little movie for me.

I google 100x a day . if not more.

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #63 of 69
Quote:

I meant how did you make that little movie for me.

I google 100x a day . if not more.

My last link contains the answer. Paint the fence, Daniel-son!
post #64 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye Forget View Post

Speedmark is a joke. My 2.8 iMac is supposedly 2.5 times quicker than my dual 1.8 G4.

In reality, the iMac is on its knees while the G4 is still thinking about pushing the second processor.

Anyone who puts stock in these tests is doing himself a disservice.

Hmm, I wouldn't put much stock into what you're saying either, seeing as Apple never made a Dual 1.8 G4. Even if you mean a dual 1.8 G5, a 2.8 Core 2 Duo is much faster. If it's not then there's something seriously wrong with your system and you should have it looked at.
post #65 of 69
Quote:

My last link contains the answer. Paint the fence, Daniel-son!

My two kids make me play it over and over .
Mow your lawn
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #66 of 69
I'd have to agree that it's hard to see much appeal in the MBA now that there's a 13 inch MBP at a decent price. The MBA just doesn't seem that much smaller or lighter (4.5 versus 3 pounds?). The whole argument that lighter and thinner must cost more isn't as compelling when other cheaper models are pretty darn thin and light, have more features, and cost less.
post #67 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

I'd have to agree that it's hard to see much appeal in the MBA now that there's a 13 inch MBP at a decent price. The MBA just doesn't seem that much smaller or lighter (4.5 versus 3 pounds?). The whole argument that lighter and thinner must cost more isn't as compelling when other cheaper models are pretty darn thin and light, have more features, and cost less.

Go to a shop where they have the 13" MBP next to the MBA. Pick them up; ask to be allowed to toss them into your bag; hand them to a friend. The difference in weight and bulk is astounding. For some people, this makes a huge difference in favor of the MBA.

Another small difference, but major to anyone with painful wrists, is the design of the MBA's sloping keyboard that creates an almost smooth transition for the typist as opposed to having a noticeable ledge and keyboard at an unnatural angle to the arms. I speak from experience as I still have a 15" MBP and know very well how uncomfortable typing can be over extended periods. I do not have the same on my MBA, thus I prefer it when I know I will be typing for any length of time.

I often have to move from one place to the next quickly; packing up the MBA is a breeze; it also starts up in a fraction of the time of the MBP. I also often give presentations over lunch or so, and the computer is passed from one person to the next. Once to check I took my wife's 13" MacBook and everybody instantly noticed the difference in weight and ease of handling, despite a one month interval since they had seen the MBA. I asked and they all said they preferred the MBA for that situation. Two were considering buying MBA's (and have since become happy owners).

For the right people, the MBA is a great machine. It is not everyone's great machine. How many families need a MacPro 8-core machine driving 2 30" monitors? It doesn't make the MacPro a bad computer, just not what those people need. It's also not always about features. I have never needed more than the single USB port, nor more memory nor anything else.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #68 of 69
What is the probability of the new Airs being deliberately slowed down, in order to provide a cooler environment for problematic NVIDIA graphics chips, which apparently fail when overheated?

This could be fallout from NVIDIA's problems. I wouldn't expect Macs to get faster soon, as the thermal management is a challenge.
post #69 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by complicity View Post

What is the probability of the new Airs being deliberately slowed down, in order to provide a cooler environment for problematic NVIDIA graphics chips, which apparently fail when overheated?

This could be fallout from NVIDIA's problems. I wouldn't expect Macs to get faster soon, as the thermal management is a challenge.

The issue doesn't affect the 9400M. It's only the higher up models as they have a bump defect in manufacturing. They x-rayed the chips to show the defect.

It could be that the 9400M adds to the overall heat inside the machine or it could just be that the die shrunk version of the new processors isn't as efficient as the old ones for whatever odd reason.

It's strange that Apple wouldn't test this before using the new CPUs. If Intel sell the old chip cheaper and it's faster than the new one, why not keep using the old one?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's latest high-end MacBook Air slower than predecessor