or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sees brief iPhone 3GS shortages; NVIDIA intros CS4 plugins
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple sees brief iPhone 3GS shortages; NVIDIA intros CS4 plugins

post #1 of 118
Thread Starter 
Apple nearly saw a repeat of last year's sellouts on the weekend with widespread, but brief, iPhone 3GS shortages at many of its US retail stores. Also, NVIDIA has launched plugins that let Macs with newer video cards dramatically speed up tasks in Adobe's Creative Suite 4.

iPhone 3GS stock runs dry over the weekend

Keeping to its now traditional approach of tracking iPhone supplies closely in the immediate wake of a launch, Apple has posted an iPhone 3GS availability tool that lists stock by store and by model -- and which has hinted at continued strong demand for the third-generation handset a week after it first appeared.

As followed by ifo Apple Store, the weekend began with only minor shortages that saw 29 of 257 shops nationwide reporting any kind of limited availability. By Sunday evening, however, very few stores had any stocks of the white iPhone 3GS model while only the white 32GB model was available at more than 52 percent of stores. Black versions of 16GB and 32GB models were only available at just over a third of stores at 35 percent each, and about 39 stores had no stock whatsoever.

A day later, the situation had improved substantially, with only six stores reporting no iPhones in stock and only a small amount more going without one or more models.

Whether or not the situation will remain the same in weeks to come is hard to tell. Last year's iPhone 3G launch saw even more severe shortages around this time last year and maintained a similar dire state for weeks afterwards, but it's possible both that Apple has better prepared itself for its latest launch as well as that economic woes have kept certain customers out of stores.

These figures are updated hourly and so should be accurate for the iPhone maker's own supply, but they don't include AT&T, Best Buy or Walmart, all of whom play an important part in Apple's true sales numbers.

NVIDIA releases Adobe CS4 CUDA plugins for Macs

Owners of more recent Macs with fast video cards were given an extra speed advantage on Monday with a new set of Adobe Creative Suite 4 plugins.

The suite includes four plugins from third parties and centers on Elemental Accelerator 1.2, a video processing add-on. Those using Mac Pros with a Quadro FX 4800 video card can use the general-purpose computing feature of these graphics chipsets to accelerate video encoding for H.264-formatted videos well beyond what would be possible with the processor alone. NVIDIA estimates that the task can run 11 times faster than it would without the plugin.

The others, from Boris FX ,proDAD and Red Giant Software, provide less conspicuous gains but help out other key apps in Adobe's library, including After Effects, Flash and Photoshop.

Such plugins are a rarity for the Mac, which has supported CUDA since last year but has only occasionally been supported by widely available apps. The situation should change with the release of Mac OS X Snow Leopard in September, when the universal OpenCL standard will encourage cross-platform support and let both ATI and NVIDIA cards run the same special code.
post #2 of 118
I didn't pre-order or anything and I spur the moment called my Apple store last wednesday expecting them to be sold out of all iphone 3GS because AT&T had a 2 week wait but to my surprise they had them all in stock and I went about an hour later and picked up a white 32gig. It was fast but pretty unstable, it locked up a couple times randomly while in my pocket or desk and the battery life was just horrible, within 30 mins of unplugging it would be down 10% and thats on standby. I restored and started as a new Iphone but it still locked up and then to my surprise i missed a couple phone calls while it was sitting right next to me on "loud". I couldnt figure it out but then when pandora didn't work either I realized the speakers and headphone jack all went dead. I got it replaced yesterday and my new one hasn't locked up once and the battery life is up to par. Hasnt been charged since yesterday around 6 p.m. which is almost 24 hours and im still at 44%. Thats with a good amount of txting/phone calls/email/ and pandora streaming. Im pretty happy with the purchase now but im looking forward to 3.0.1
post #3 of 118
Also, I'm hoping that with the 3.0.1 update they turn on MMS for AT&tT. I know its not Apples fault but hopefully AT&T will be pushed and down talked enough by then to have it ready for the new update.
post #4 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

I didn't pre-order or anything and I spur the moment called my Apple store last wednesday expecting them to be sold out of all iphone 3GS because AT&T had a 2 week wait but to my surprise they had them all in stock and I went about an hour later and picked up a white 32gig. It was fast but pretty unstable, it locked up a couple times randomly while in my pocket or desk and the battery life was just horrible, within 30 mins of unplugging it would be down 10% and thats on standby. I restored and started as a new Iphone but it still locked up and then to my surprise i missed a couple phone calls while it was sitting right next to me on "loud". I couldnt figure it out but then when pandora didn't work either I realized the speakers and headphone jack all went dead. I got it replaced yesterday and my new one hasn't locked up once and the battery life is up to par. Hasnt been charged since yesterday around 6 p.m. which is almost 24 hours and im still at 44%. Thats with a good amount of txting/phone calls/email/ and pandora streaming. Im pretty happy with the purchase now but im looking forward to 3.0.1

Dude, I think you have the wrong site.

This is *not* the "yammering on about my personal troubles" site, it's an Apple rumour site.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
post #5 of 118
It would have been nice if they would have put the availability link up there the weekend it launched (when I tried but failed to get one) and not the weekend after (when they had lots in stock I guess they weren't expecting this much demand. The whole activation process was a little messy though. \ You walk into the store not sure where to go. I saw an employee in an orange shirt and stopped them and said I'd like the 32GB Black iPhone. "OK, I'm going to take you over here to Aliya (another Orange shirt.)" Aliyah informs me I need to go wait by the table in the corner that has 8 iPhones on display. I go to that table unsure of how many people are just playing with the displays and how many are buying. Unsure where to stand I ask someone standing at one corner of the table and they explain the buyers stand in the southwest corner. I meander over there. Moo. I then ask my fellow iPhone companions how long they've been waiting there. "45 minutes," was the reply. I asked what exactly is it that we are waiting for and they say they don't know. Not satisfied with that answer, I go back to the special senior orange shirt employee and ask what we are actually waiting for. Of course, she looks confused and says, "the iPhone." I bite my tongue, remain polite and explain that I realize what I came here to purchase but want to know what is causing the current 45 minute wait to get said iPhone. Are we waiting on a new shipment? Are there any physically in stock? Does a magic poem need to be read? She informs me that we need to wait for a person in a teal shirt to get us the phone but they are all busy helping people with questions about computers. As anyone who has browsed through an Apple store knows, it is often filled with computer "shoppers" who will ask questions for 30 minutes straight but have no intention of ever actually buying anything. Kudos to Apple for answering all those questions but when you are ready to buy it's not efficient to have to wait for the same people. Anyway, 5 minutes go by when I see a teal-shirter getting done helping a laptop shopper. I try to waive him over to help one of the iPhone buyers in front of me but he informs me that the orange shirts control the workflow (I suddenly feel like a jet trying to maneuver on an aircraft carrier.) He goes to the master orange shirt and she confirms that the iPhone buyers are in fact next to be helped...yay. There are two women ahead of me. The first one says that all 5 of us are buying iPhones so he can bring out that many. "Sorry, I can only bring one at a time." D'oh! Oh well, hopefully it won't be too long. But, I got lucky. Just then 3 teal-shirts free up and the senior orange shirt woman lets two of them help some of us iPhone schleps. The activation goes fine and in total, I spent 30 minutes in the store. Not too bad but it seems like the process could have been made a little more clear so customers know that someone will be there to assist them. "Go stand by that table and wait," is not a good way to treat someone about to drop $300 to vote for your phone.

On a side note, it is interesting that the place was packed with laptop shoppers. I don't know how many of those translated into sales but I've never seen it that packed in there before.

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #6 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

The activation goes fine and in total, I spent 30 minutes in the store. Not too bad but it seems like the process could have been made a little more clear so customers know that someone will be there to assist them. "Go stand by that table and wait," is not a good way to treat someone about to drop $300 to vote for your phone.

I was in and out in about 5 mins. More than impressed as they were quite busy, but I was out quick so thats all that matters.
post #7 of 118
Does anyone know if this Adobe plug-in is Mac only? I looked at their site briefly and couldn't find any info. Or, are we being given the redheaded stepchild treatment by Adobe and NVIDIA here, too, and this is our carrot?
post #8 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

Also, I'm hoping that with the 3.0.1 update they turn on MMS for AT&tT. I know its not Apples fault but hopefully AT&T will be pushed and down talked enough by then to have it ready for the new update.

The good news is that MMS doesn't need an OS update. The only thing controlling MMS is the carrier file that describes what the settings are per carrier. AT&T just needs to send an updated Carrier file and voila.
post #9 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akac View Post

The good news is that MMS doesn't need an OS update. The only thing controlling MMS is the carrier file that describes what the settings are per carrier. AT&T just needs to send an updated Carrier file and voila.

thats good I wasn't sure what the process was but carrier updates only take seconds. I want my damn MMS already I cant believe they "weren't ready" when the OS was released.
post #10 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

It would have been nice if they would have put the availability link up there the weekend it launched (when I tried but failed to get one) and not the weekend after (when they had lots in stock I guess they weren't expecting this much demand. The whole activation process was a little messy though. \ You walk into the store not sure where to go. I saw an employee in an orange shirt and stopped them and said I'd like the 32GB Black iPhone. "OK, I'm going to take you over here to Aliya (another Orange shirt.)" Aliyah informs me I need to go wait by the table in the corner that has 8 iPhones on display. I go to that table unsure of how many people are just playing with the displays and how many are buying. Unsure where to stand I ask someone standing at one corner of the table and they explain the buyers stand in the southwest corner. I meander over there. Moo. I then ask my fellow iPhone companions how long they've been waiting there. "45 minutes," was the reply. I asked what exactly is it that we are waiting for and they say they don't know. Not satisfied with that answer, I go back to the special senior orange shirt employee and ask what we are actually waiting for. Of course, she looks confused and says, "the iPhone." I bite my tongue, remain polite and explain that I realize what I came here to purchase but want to know what is causing the current 45 minute wait to get said iPhone. Are we waiting on a new shipment? Are there any physically in stock? Does a magic poem need to be read? She informs me that we need to wait for a person in a teal shirt to get us the phone but they are all busy helping people with questions about computers. As anyone who has browsed through an Apple store knows, it is often filled with computer "shoppers" who will ask questions for 30 minutes straight but have no intention of ever actually buying anything. Kudos to Apple for answering all those questions but when you are ready to buy it's not efficient to have to wait for the same people. Anyway, 5 minutes go by when I see a teal-shirter getting done helping a laptop shopper. I try to waive him over to help one of the iPhone buyers in front of me but he informs me that the orange shirts control the workflow (I suddenly feel like a jet trying to maneuver on an aircraft carrier.) He goes to the master orange shirt and she confirms that the iPhone buyers are in fact next to be helped...yay. There are two women ahead of me. The first one says that all 5 of us are buying iPhones so he can bring out that many. "Sorry, I can only bring one at a time." D'oh! Oh well, hopefully it won't be too long. But, I got lucky. Just then 3 teal-shirts free up and the senior orange shirt woman lets two of them help some of us iPhone schleps. The activation goes fine and in total, I spent 30 minutes in the store. Not too bad but it seems like the process could have been made a little more clear so customers know that someone will be there to assist them. "Go stand by that table and wait," is not a good way to treat someone about to drop $300 to vote for your phone.

On a side note, it is interesting that the place was packed with laptop shoppers. I don't know how many of those translated into sales but I've never seen it that packed in there before.

Formatting makes it so much more interesting for the reader.
post #11 of 118
LOL yeah paragraphs, dude, paragraphs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

It would have been nice if they would have put the availability link up there the weekend it launched (when I tried but failed to get one) and not the weekend after (when they had lots in stock I guess they weren't expecting this much demand. The whole activation process was a little messy though. \ You walk into the store not sure where to go. I saw an employee in an orange shirt and stopped them and said I'd like the 32GB Black iPhone. "OK, I'm going to take you over here to Aliya (another Orange shirt.)" Aliyah informs me I need to go wait by the table in the corner that has 8 iPhones on display. I go to that table unsure of how many people are just playing with the displays and how many are buying. Unsure where to stand I ask someone standing at one corner of the table and they explain the buyers stand in the southwest corner. I meander over there. Moo. I then ask my fellow iPhone companions how long they've been waiting there. "45 minutes," was the reply. I asked what exactly is it that we are waiting for and they say they don't know. Not satisfied with that answer, I go back to the special senior orange shirt employee and ask what we are actually waiting for. Of course, she looks confused and says, "the iPhone." I bite my tongue, remain polite and explain that I realize what I came here to purchase but want to know what is causing the current 45 minute wait to get said iPhone. Are we waiting on a new shipment? Are there any physically in stock? Does a magic poem need to be read? She informs me that we need to wait for a person in a teal shirt to get us the phone but they are all busy helping people with questions about computers. As anyone who has browsed through an Apple store knows, it is often filled with computer "shoppers" who will ask questions for 30 minutes straight but have no intention of ever actually buying anything. Kudos to Apple for answering all those questions but when you are ready to buy it's not efficient to have to wait for the same people. Anyway, 5 minutes go by when I see a teal-shirter getting done helping a laptop shopper. I try to waive him over to help one of the iPhone buyers in front of me but he informs me that the orange shirts control the workflow (I suddenly feel like a jet trying to maneuver on an aircraft carrier.) He goes to the master orange shirt and she confirms that the iPhone buyers are in fact next to be helped...yay. There are two women ahead of me. The first one says that all 5 of us are buying iPhones so he can bring out that many. "Sorry, I can only bring one at a time." D'oh! Oh well, hopefully it won't be too long. But, I got lucky. Just then 3 teal-shirts free up and the senior orange shirt woman lets two of them help some of us iPhone schleps. The activation goes fine and in total, I spent 30 minutes in the store. Not too bad but it seems like the process could have been made a little more clear so customers know that someone will be there to assist them. "Go stand by that table and wait," is not a good way to treat someone about to drop $300 to vote for your phone.

On a side note, it is interesting that the place was packed with laptop shoppers. I don't know how many of those translated into sales but I've never seen it that packed in there before.
post #12 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

It would have been nice if they would have put the availability link up there the weekend it launched (when I tried but failed to get one) and not the weekend after (when they had lots in stock I guess they weren't expecting this much demand. The whole activation process was a little messy though. blah blah blah

On a side note, it is interesting that the place was packed with laptop shoppers. I don't know how many of those translated into sales but I've never seen it that packed in there before.

Somehow I wonder if you are telling the truth....
post #13 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

I was in and out in about 5 mins. More than impressed as they were quite busy, but I was out quick so thats all that matters.

That's what she said. Sorry couldn't resist.
post #14 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Formatting makes it so much more interesting for the reader.

Trust me, it wouldn't have. Plus, paragraphs would have been inappropriate in that post - he shouldn't have even used commas if you wanted it how it came out of his mind
post #15 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

thats good I wasn't sure what the process was but carrier updates only take seconds. I want my damn MMS already I cant believe they "weren't ready" when the OS was released.

AT&T makes the US a laughing stock when it comes to mobile telephony. What is up with them? No MMS, no tethering. For video calls, Apple would have introduced it for sure if AT&T was anywhere *close* to being able to deliver on that, IMHO.
post #16 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

AT&T makes the US a laughing stock when it comes to mobile telephony. What is up with them? No MMS, no tethering. For video calls, Apple would have introduced it for sure if AT&T was anywhere *close* to being able to deliver on that, IMHO.

Do you honestly think that Apple didn't have the timeline for AT&T offering Tethering or MMS on the iPhone? Do you really think Steve Jobs is that ignorant.

AT&T offers both features on many other phones today and could today with the flip of a switch.

Both Apple & AT&T are in a partnership. Apple obviously having the upper hand given the popularity of the iPhone.

Steve knew this LONG before the release of 3.0 and the 3GS.
post #17 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

Do you honestly think that Apple didn't have the timeline for AT&T offering Tethering or MMS on the iPhone? Do you really think Steve Jobs is that ignorant.

AT&T offers both features on many other phones today and could today with the flip of a switch.

Both Apple & AT&T are in a partnership. Apple obviously having the upper hand given the popularity of the iPhone.

Steve knew this LONG before the release of 3.0 and the 3GS.

I'm not sure what your point is here. He made no mention that I see that Apple wasnt aware of their timeline or network issues in his post. Are you saying because AT&T offers it with their other phones that it's Apple's fault?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #18 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm sure what your point is here. He made no mention that I see that Apple wasnt aware of their timeline or network issues in his
post. Are you saying because AT&T offers it with their other phones that it's Apple's fault?

Please don't say you don't know exactly where my statement was going.
Apple knew the timeline, AT&T knew the timeline for both features down to the day/time and probably second given how SJ negotiates.

And what part of

Quote:
Apple would have introduced it for sure if AT&T was anywhere *close* to being able to deliver on that, IMHO.

don't you understand about Apple was and is aware of why the features aren't released?

Quote:
Are you saying because AT&T offers it with their other phones that it's Apple's fault?

I'm saying Apple was fully aware of the timeline of when the features were going to be released and this as well as all other Apple Forums are making AT&T to be sole bandit.

My question is WHY would Apple knowingly accept this?
post #19 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

Please don't say you don't know exactly where my statement was going.
Apple knew the timeline, AT&T knew the timeline for both features down to the day/time and probably second given how SJ negotiates.

And what part of don't you understand about Apple was and is aware of why the features aren't released?



I'm saying Apple was fully aware of the timeline of when the features were going to be released and this as well as all other Apple Forums are making AT&T to be sole bandit.

My question is WHY would Apple knowingly accept this?

Merdhead?
post #20 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

Please don't say you don't know exactly where my statement was going.
Apple knew the timeline, AT&T knew the timeline for both features down to the day/time and probably second given how SJ negotiates.

And what part of

don't you understand about Apple was and is aware of why the features aren't released?

I'm saying Apple was fully aware of the timeline of when the features were going to be released and this as well as all other Apple Forums are making AT&T to be sole bandit.

My question is WHY would Apple knowingly accept this?

I'm trying but I'm still not following your thought process. Are you saying that when Apple stated at the WWDC that MMS will be available for v3.0 for a plethora of carriers but not for AT&T, that they could have given up an exact " timeline for both features down to the day/time and probably second"? You don't think unexpected delays happen in the tech field? You must think that Apple's response last March for grossly underestimating Push Notifications was a ruse to distract from a worse reason than stating that we didn't think it trough well enough

Apple could very well have contracts that specify that AT&T will have certain features ready by a certain time but that doesn't mean they will, it only means that AT&T will be required to pay whatever penalty is written into the contract if a deadline is not meant. It also doesn't mean Apple is happy with AT&T on this front, but to suggest that contract signing for the iPhone during or before 2006 should have included a "timeline for both features down to the day/time and probably second" for including MMS and tethering in 2009 is not rational.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #21 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm trying but I'm still not following your thought process. Are you saying that when Apple stated at the WWDC that MMS will be available for v3.0 for a plethora of carriers but not for AT&T, that they could have given up an exact " timeline for both features down to the day/time and probably second"? You don't think unexpected delays happen in the tech field? You must think that Apple's response last March for grossly underestimating Push Notifications was a ruse to distract from a worse reason than stating that we didn't think it trough well enough

Apple could very well have contracts that specify that AT&T will have certain features ready by a certain time but that doesn't mean they will, it only means that AT&T will be required to pay whatever penalty is written into the contract if a deadline is not meant. It also doesn't mean Apple is happy with AT&T on this front, but to suggest that contract signing for the iPhone during or before 2006 should have included a "timeline for both features down to the day/time and probably second" for including MMS and tethering in 2009 is not rational.

I've followed way to many of your postings to know when you are hell bent on making your point you will do it at all costs.

Not even going to play the game.
post #22 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

I've followed way to many of your postings to know when you are hell bent on making your point you will do it at all costs.

Not even going to play the game.

Communication is the game. I do try hard to be lucid and thorough in my writings. If not to me then perhaps to others you will try to be less ambiguous.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #23 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

That's what she said. Sorry couldn't resist.

Your a funny guy.
post #24 of 118
does anyone know whether the 3G S works as a phone any better than its predecessors?

I'm so sick of my 3G's inability to get/sustain a signal. I had to buy a $300 device to get make my phone functional in my Florida home; this week i'm in HIlton Head and can't get a signal strong enough to sustain a call--most incoming calls don't generate a ring and if i'm lucky enough to see them coming in, i can talk for only a minute or two before the call's dropped.

So: any reason to hope for better from a 3G S?

Maybe the "S" stands for signal?

One can only hope.
post #25 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Communication is the game. I do try hard to be lucid and thorough in my writings. If not to me then perhaps to others will try to be more unambiguous.

I like this guy, his postings are always appropriate and thought out. Wish the same could go to all you other posters.
post #26 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

does anyone know whether the 3G S works as a phone any better than its predecessors?

I'd say no. The software for the phone has been pretty much worked out early on in the release cycle. The issues now are all with AT&T from my experinces with all 3 iPhones. In fact, I've had more call issues since getting the 3GS, but since I'm in a new area that is hardly telling.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #27 of 118
The iPhone 3GS launched in Australia on Friday, the store I work for had one 32GB white left on Saturday within half an hour that was gone.

So far the only replacements we seem to be getting are 16GB black.

Btw I bought a 13" MacBook yesterday, the old aluminium model, the two store's I went to were sold out of all the new ones and it was a ten day wait.

Things seem to have changed a bit since my Mac Plus...

...oooh, colour!

btw, both tethering and MMS work fine here.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #28 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

My question is WHY would Apple knowingly accept this?

Well Apple have options I suppose...

1) They could have waited a whole extra year to release the 3G for the USA market
2) They could have waited a whole extra year to release the 3GS for the USA market

I mean, everywhere else that got both phones also got access to everything including a mobile phone network.

I can just imagine the outrage you would be feeling then, waiting a year.

Sorry, AT&T is scared that if they enable the features now the usage will crash their network. They don't want a repeat of last year. So, the USA misses out until AT&T gets it together. Yes other phones offer it but it clearly evident that iPhone customers pound the network to orders of magnitude greater than those other phone owners.

Something Americans don't seem to quite get is that there is a whole planet of customers out there. Apple even deals with other carriers, I know it might seem hard to grasp that there is other things outside the USA, but it is occasionally true.

There is also the little issue of timing, so that people coming off their AT&T 2 year plans from the initial release in 2007 have the choice to switch straight into the new iPhone. If they stalled the release for AT&T's network to be ready then those customers are at risk of churning.

Is more likely a case of Jobs in his negotiations saying "i'm not waiting around for you to pull your finger out, every other freaking carrier on earth is ready, you guys are going to look like fools, enjoy"

It also presents quality ammo for Apple to use if they want to negotiate an even better deal with AT&T.

Over in Oz land we have the iPhone on 3 different carriers. You can get the 32/16 or 8gig for $0 not $299 depending on plan, you can even get it pre-paid. You can get 7.2Mbit in the middle of the bush (not every bush though). You get MMS and even tethering. Only one carrier supports Visual Voice Mail though.

Mind you, you would not want our data plans, at least from Telstra. They would send you mob in howls of rage LOL

Not every action Apple makes is US centred, that much is obvious with the release of the 3G in the USA market last year, from what I read the network is just getting up to snuff now.
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
Reply
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
Reply
post #29 of 118
Here in the UK they'd completely run out of 16GB by last weekend and had limited supply of 32GB. In the shop I got mine they ran out as I was buying it, so I was glad the guy had got on out of the stock room at the start of the process!
post #30 of 118
I'm in Germany

I was away on Friday when it launched. Ran into the store on Monday .... and BOOM .... sold out of the 32GB model.

I'm waiting for a week now. There's still no 32GB iPhone for me and I'm living in on of the big cities in Germany. Thank god there's a new OS out that keeps me excited on my 2G.
post #31 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

That's what she said. Sorry couldn't resist.

Wins the thread.
post #32 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

Please don't say you don't know exactly where my statement was going.
Apple knew the timeline, AT&T knew the timeline for both features down to the day/time and probably second given how SJ negotiates.

And what part of



don't you understand about Apple was and is aware of why the features aren't released?



I'm saying Apple was fully aware of the timeline of when the features were going to be released and this as well as all other Apple Forums are making AT&T to be sole bandit.

My question is WHY would Apple knowingly accept this?

are you high? you make no sense whatsoever.
post #33 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

Do you honestly think that Apple didn't have the timeline for AT&T offering Tethering or MMS on the iPhone? Do you really think Steve Jobs is that ignorant.

AT&T offers both features on many other phones today and could today with the flip of a switch.

Both Apple & AT&T are in a partnership. Apple obviously having the upper hand given the popularity of the iPhone.

Steve knew this LONG before the release of 3.0 and the 3GS.

AT&T are quite clearly behind the delay of MMS in the USA.

Here in the UK as soon as we got the 3.0 software we had MMS enabled by O2 and we could use the service, the same goes for teathering.

AT&T are NOT ready to deliver these services to iPhone users in the US yet. Apple made it very clear when 3.0 was being released, they made it very clear what features were included and yet AT&T were still not ready.

Don't blame Apple fot the failure of AT&T.
Apple managed to get both MMS and Teathering operational with quite a few carriers at the launch of 3.0 software.

Are you miffed because other countries got these features before the US?
What was the alternative? Make all countries wait for the new features until the USA (AT&T) were ready?

I am sure Apple put quite a bit of pressure on AT&T to have these ready for launch date, that is clear from the expressions of the the Apple presenters in the WWDC Keynote speech.
post #34 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

Mind you, you would not want our data plans, at least from Telstra. They would send you mob in howls of rage LOL
.

Not that I live in Oz, but Telstra has a 21Mbps network going 42 this winter so I see why they would charge a premium fee for their services. Too bad the iPhone has a "standard" radio part so it can't utilize the HSPA evolution data rates. That 21Mbps network is appearantly kick-ass.
post #35 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

I didn't pre-order or anything and I spur the moment called my Apple store last wednesday expecting them to be sold out of all iphone 3GS because AT&T had a 2 week wait but to my surprise they had them all in stock and I went about an hour later and picked up a white 32gig. It was fast but pretty unstable, it locked up a couple times randomly while in my pocket or desk and the battery life was just horrible, within 30 mins of unplugging it would be down 10% and thats on standby. I restored and started as a new Iphone but it still locked up and then to my surprise i missed a couple phone calls while it was sitting right next to me on "loud". I couldnt figure it out but then when pandora didn't work either I realized the speakers and headphone jack all went dead. I got it replaced yesterday and my new one hasn't locked up once and the battery life is up to par. Hasnt been charged since yesterday around 6 p.m. which is almost 24 hours and im still at 44%. Thats with a good amount of txting/phone calls/email/ and pandora streaming. Im pretty happy with the purchase now but im looking forward to 3.0.1

Is that what you'd call- 'Opening up Pandora's box"?
post #36 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'd say no. The software for the phone has been pretty much worked out early on in the release cycle. The issues now are all with AT&T from my experinces with all 3 iPhones. In fact, I've had more call issues since getting the 3GS, but since I'm in a new area that is hardly telling.

Man, I'm sorry to hear that- as I was all ready to buy mine this week. Seriously.
Also you are kind of contradicting yourself- if the issues were worked out early in the software cycle then AT&T has always had the issues not just "now".
post #37 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Dude, I think you have the wrong site.

This is *not* the "yammering on about my personal troubles" site, it's an Apple rumour site.

LOL, and i was waiting for the punch line - Apple Sucks! or Apple sold me a Fake!

Good to hear his lemon dud is no sour apple to him anymore. Yammering aside.

Rumor has it that phone was intended for Apple bashers to get'em back
post #38 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

does anyone know whether the 3G S works as a phone any better than its predecessors?

I'm so sick of my 3G's inability to get/sustain a signal. I had to buy a $300 device to get make my phone functional in my Florida home; this week i'm in HIlton Head and can't get a signal strong enough to sustain a call--most incoming calls don't generate a ring and if i'm lucky enough to see them coming in, i can talk for only a minute or two before the call's dropped.

So: any reason to hope for better from a 3G S?

Maybe the "S" stands for signal?

One can only hope.

It's the network...and Verizon's is better than AT&T.

How well does your signal booster work? I was thinking of getting one.
post #39 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

It's the network...and Verizon's is better than AT&T.

How well does your signal booster work? I was thinking of getting one.

I'm caught between a rock and a hard place. It seems the signal still sucks. Even solipism is complaining about his signal now. What good is this "phone" if the phone's calls suck? I have a Touch but wanted to upgrade- but now this.
post #40 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Man, I'm sorry to hear that- as I was all ready to buy mine this week. Seriously.
Also you are kind of contradicting yourself- if the issues were worked out early in the software cycle then AT&T has always had the issues not just "now".

Software issues are Apple's to fix. Those issues are fixed. Now you're limited to whatever service ATT provides, something not software related nor in Apple's control.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sees brief iPhone 3GS shortages; NVIDIA intros CS4 plugins