Seybold NY (2/19/02) more appropriate for G5 rollout

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Like everyone else, I would love to see the G5 rolled out at Macworld. However, the G5 is a Pro machine and Macworld is not necessarily a Pro event. It would seem most realistic to me to see a new iMac at Macworld and the G5 a month later at Seybold.

If this is the fashion that they roll things out, and IF the iMac is a G4, then we could certainly say that the G5 will be rolled out at Seybold.

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: Hi Ho Quicksilver ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    yea: Macworld isn't a pro event

Seybold SF is in August/September BTW

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: applenut ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Yes, the February 19-22 Seybold will be in NY at Jacob Javitz. This might even be a more appropriate venue for Steve to roll out the G5, especially if it is the Pentium killer rumors peg it to be.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    ouch, you shut him down applenut
  • Reply 4 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by SameOldSht:

<strong>ouch, you shut him down applenut</strong><hr></blockquote>

not sure what you mean by that :confused:

I don't think there is a chance in hell that Apple will let the desktop line go any further wihout significant changes. Waiting till February would be insanely dumb. The desktops suck and seem like they will be ready january. You don't just wait for an event for the hell of it. Macworld is just as Pro as Seybold and likely is better in Apple's interest as its the biggest mac event anywhere, gets tons of coverage, and is the earliest.

Apple likely won't even be at Seybold in February. They usually aren't
  • Reply 5 of 12
    No question that Macworld has a lot of Pro attendees, it just isnt necessarily the focus. I don't remember a Macworld or any other event for that matter having 2 huge product introductions, at least on the magnitude one might forsee with the new iMac and new G5. If they did do that, and created one hell of a bang, what else do they follow up with for the rest of the year?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    blablablabla Posts: 185member
    [quote]Originally posted by Hi Ho Quicksilver:

<strong>No question that Macworld has a lot of Pro attendees, it just isnt necessarily the focus. I don't remember a Macworld or any other event for that matter having 2 huge product introductions, at least on the magnitude one might forsee with the new iMac and new G5. If they did do that, and created one hell of a bang, what else do they follow up with for the rest of the year?</strong><hr></blockquote>

who cares about the rest of the year? The problem with Apple is that the CEO is a marketing guy and not an engineer. And look at the latest sales report:

<a href="http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/320193/000091205701528148/a2056203z10-q.htm"; target="_blank">http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/320193/000091205701528148/a2056203z10-q.htm</a>;

( thounsands of units, three monds ended. 6/30/01, 7/1/00, change )

Power Macintosh 225 351 -36%

iMac unit sales 306 447 -31 %

Do you think they got an option? NO! They will release the dahm thing, a faster G4 or a G5 as soon as they got enough units to sell. And the Powerbook line will probably get a pretty decent Mhz update later next year. If Apple release such a thing at seybold NY, it will be because of channel-inventory reasons and not because Seybold is a more pro-event.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Hi Ho Quicksilver:

<strong>No question that Macworld has a lot of Pro attendees, it just isnt necessarily the focus. I don't remember a Macworld or any other event for that matter having 2 huge product introductions, at least on the magnitude one might forsee with the new iMac and new G5. If they did do that, and created one hell of a bang, what else do they follow up with for the rest of the year?</strong><hr></blockquote>

you have a poor memory then.

MWSF 99= iMacs-5 colors, PowerMac G3 B/W, both huge announcements especially in design and attention grabbing

MWNY 2000= PowerMac G4 Cube, PowerMac G4 Dual Processor, iMac "Fall Colors". 3 huge hardware announcements

MWSF2001= PowerMac G4 Digital Audio and Powerbook G4. PowerMac significant for breaking 500 and introducing nVidia, Powerbook big for obvious reasons

MWNY- 2001- iMac and PowerMac G4 Quicksilver

all PowerMac updates since Jan 99 have come at MWs except for the first G4 at Seybold SF
  • Reply 8 of 12
    What about last MWSF, when Apple announced Powermacs that didn't ship until March?

I think we will see the same thing this time around, except it will be the G5 powermacs. And for the G5, it's not very long to wait until March...although I wouldn't be surprised if they came even sooner. There are so many reports from people testing the hardware, that it seems like it's farther along than the 7450 G4s were last MWSF.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>What about last MWSF, when Apple announced Powermacs that didn't ship until March?</strong><hr></blockquote>

With the exception of the Quicksilvers, isn't that usually the case with Apple?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Yeah, usually they don't ship for awhile, but at MWSF, it was longer than usual. But since Jobs said it would be, that's ok. And they shipped by the time he said they would (sooner for some people, if I remember correctly).
  • Reply 11 of 12
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Apple never sends Steve Jobs to keynote the Winter Seybold. Trust me- for the past 3 years, Apple has gone to Seybold in Boston and not once has Steve Jobs made an appearance or has Apple made an announcement of any product.

I would also say that the G5 would be expected at MWSF over MWTY.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    [quote]What about last MWSF, when Apple announced Powermacs that didn't ship until March?

I think we will see the same thing this time around, except it will be the G5 powermacs. And for the G5, it's not very long to wait until March...although I wouldn't be surprised if they came even sooner. There are so many reports from people testing the hardware, that it seems like it's farther along than the 7450 G4s were last MWSF. <hr></blockquote>

If apple intros the g5 at MWSF, at least one (likely 2) of the configs will ship that day (or within a week). Why? because apple can't afford to wait 2+ months to ship an announced product. Look what happend to Palm w/ the m500. No one would buy a G4 if they knew they could get a g5 a month later at a similar price. That and Apple's quarter would be hosed.