Turn on Journaling in 10.2 (client)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I forgot how to turn on Journaling from the Terminal in 10.2.4 (client). Help?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    "sudo diskutil enableJournal pathtovolume" is the syntax format.

So, if you just have one hard drive volume, you'd use:

sudo diskutil enableJournal /

If you have additional drives:

sudo diskutil enableJournal /Volumes/drivename
  • Reply 2 of 16
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Thanks, Brad!
  • Reply 3 of 16
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    to enable journaling.... does it take up hard drive space?
  • Reply 4 of 16
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    you can also use Cocktail (search Versiontracker)

It has tons of other useful functions... good to keep in the Utils folder
  • Reply 5 of 16
    I believe it does a little bit, yes, but it's pretty negligible when you consider the size of typical drives today.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    IIRC, turning on journaling on my 20GB drive reserved 8MB for journaling data.

Whoop-dee-do.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Kickaha:

<strong>IIRC, turning on journaling on my 20GB drive reserved 8MB for journaling data.

Whoop-dee-do. </strong><hr></blockquote>

alright cool sounds good...

is there any reason NOT to turn this on?

IE if your HD is a bit damaged or overused that it will cause problems?

the speed hit is negligable... right?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    I haven't noticed any speed hit, but then, I don't do things that usually require lots of disk access. (Compiling large software systems is probably the worst, and I think that my poky 400MHz G3 on the Pismo is probably the bottleneck as much as the drive throughput.)

Assume 10-15% on drive performance, is what I've been told. So if you do a lot of streaming video, etc, it may not be what you want. Otherwise, no, I don't know of any down side.

And yes, always run Disk Utility, fsck, fix permissions, etc, before doing anything like this.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by Kickaha:

<strong>

Assume 10-15% on drive performance, is what I've been told. So if you do a lot of streaming video, etc, it may not be what you want. Otherwise, no, I don't know of any down side.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I believe that it causes your disk to spin quite a bit more, so you may not want to use it on a laptop (unless your laptop is always plugged in)
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Heh. Well, since the same day I turned it on I replaced my *original* battery, if there was any degradation, *I* sure didn't notice it! (30 minutes runtime -&gt; 4.5hrs+ = happy)
  • Reply 11 of 16
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    So it would be a good idea to journal my huge firewire drive that is a Carracho server, and leave my internal alone since it gets accessed more for pagefiles and other OS stuff?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Jouralling is only really handy if your mac locks up every now and then and needs hard restarting. Journals in this instance returns the HD to a 'consistent state'.

If you are on a laptop, I recommend you not turn it on. If your mac is rock solid like mine, I recommend you disable it and have a "10-15%' faster HD write.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Strongly disagree.

Sorry.

There's no reason *NOT* to use journaling unless a) you're exceedingly worried about drive speed (such as streaming video being *written* to disk), or b) your laptop battery is so worn out that adding a minor amount of writing during disk *writes* is going to actually affect your battery life negatively.

If a), dedicate a partition for this, journal the rest. If b), get a freakin' new battery already.

Journaling only kicks in on disk writes, not reads. It's important if you're doing anything such as creating files you *care* about, of course...
  • Reply 14 of 16
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    hell i'm willing to give anything a shot. my laptop is all cracked out now.

• Reply 15 of 16
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    One idea...

If people are going to post things like this, it would be wise to also post how to turn things like this off.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by rogue27

If people are going to post things like this, it would be wise to also post how to turn things like this off.

"sudo diskutil disableJournal pathtovolume" is the syntax format.

So, if you just have one hard drive volume with it enabled, you'd use:

sudo diskutil disableJournal /

If you have additional drives:

sudo diskutil disableJournal /Volumes/drivename

Logical enough?