does OS X need OS 9.x style "labels"?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
In OS 9.x (and prior) I used labels to help me when I was working with a lot of documents. It's a great and easy way to tag something so you don't lose it in the mix.

Would YOU like to see them come back in OS X?

Meanwhile, let me know if there's a good utility to do this (said as I head on over to VersionTracker).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Personally, I never used labels and never saw a need for them. If you organize your files correctly, I do not see why you would need it. I also found that stopping the use of the desktop improved my file organization (like OS X DP3), but everyone's different, heh.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Yeah, it's a specific case kind of thing.

Working with a very graphical website is one of those times, prepping files to go to a service bureau is another one. I didn't use it all the time, but when I needed it, it was a Very Good Thing.

I -do- miss it.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    You're not the only one...

<a href="http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/labels/"; target="_blank">Haxies to the rescue.</a>
  • Reply 4 of 11
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    I liked them. Made it easier to find important folders.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Oy. Here we go again.

&lt;SWAG&gt;Labels won't make an official reappearance until metadata becomes an integral part of the file system.&lt;/SWAG&gt;

Until then, use Haxies.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Hey Kickaha, give me the layman's version of the metadata spiel.

Puh-leeeze!
  • Reply 8 of 11
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    I liked labels and would love to see a reappearance. But with Aqua, I think they could be done much better. I think it would be cool to be able to apply text badge as well as a color. ..kind like the way mail shows the number of emails on the dock icon.

It has been my experience that most Mac users don't even know about labels. I guess that means there is a better implementation out there.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    I've learned more about MetaData and am starting a new thread.....wait, no I'm not.

There's a petition about MetaData being included in the Mac OS (X). From a quick perusal of the site it appears that Apple isn't interested in putting MetaData back into the files. Here's the link:

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/jcs/.Public/metadata.html"; target="_blank">http://homepage.mac.com/jcs/.Public/metadata.html</a>;

[ 03-10-2003: Message edited by: drewprops ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 11
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    I WAAAAAANT LAABEEEEEEEEELSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    [quote]Originally posted by Kickaha:

<strong>Labels won't make an official reappearance until metadata becomes an integral part of the file system.

Until then, use Haxies.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, it seems so. There are two points about that: one is bad, the other is good.

The bad one is that many people do miss labels right now. For example, I almost went crazy updating a web site with over 800 files to remake it from dumb HTML to CSS2. Yes, I could use comments to mark files but it's not so convenient even with the help from AppleScript.

The good one is that Apple wants to implement labels so (if it does indeed) that they will never have to patch or repair it. I doubt Apple just ignores all the petitions and publications with regard to metadata. Something must be on the way and I hope when we get native labels for OS X, we'll get very good ones.