List the most annoying yet-to-be-fixed OS X bugs

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I wanna send a good list to Apple via feedback.

Mine deal mostly with filesharing:

1. Top on the list. When a server was connected, but is somehow disconnected (like, say disconnecting laptop from a network, or a server going to sleep), Rainbow cursor of death comes up and locks down Finder for several minutes as it searches for said server. Then it kindly lets you know what is now painfully and totally obvious: The server "" has disconnected. Duh.

2. -36 WTF? This is a Mac... Let's explain our error messages.

3. Speaking of -36, improve the connectivity reliability to SMB servers

4. Sharing files between two laptops via 802.11 (with no base station) should be easier than it currently is. (Maybe a "Share files with other wireless computers..." option under the airport menu

5. The rainbow cursor inexplicably showing up when resizing a window, choosing a menu etc.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    Second all those plus...

When performince file operations in column view, move/delete, the antimated/scrolling, of the files takes way too long, just drop it. Perform the action, then redraw the window column, no animations. It can take 100 times as long as needed dependin on how many files are in the column.

Also a "Windows Explorer"/"File Manager" view would be nice, its much easier to use when managing lots of files in nested folders. Column view nice nice and quick for digging down to the file, but when your having to go back and forth sorting and organizing lots (thousands) of files, the "Explorer" way is much faster, just about every other OS has something very much the same, its just easier to use.
  • Reply 2 of 46
    is it just me or does anyone else find that when they double click on the hard drive, it opens but is not in 'focus'? by focus i mean at the front and active.

i find annoying that when i double click the hard drive icon on the desktop i need to click the opened window before i can use the cursor keys to navigate (in column view)

<edit>i forgot the other bug(?) with column view: way back at version 10.1 (IIRC) in column view, if you hit for example the 'd' key, the column would jump to files/folders starting with that letter at the *top* of the column. now in 10.2 when the letter key is pressed, it jumps to the first file/folder starting with that letter at the *bottom* of the column.

inevitably the file wanted is not the first one and i find myself having to scroll down to locate the one i want.</edit>

the other thing i find irksome with osx is the amount of cpu and memory terminal consumes. this is a window to darwin and IHMO *should* be the snappiest app on the machine.

[ 03-12-2003: Message edited by: lungaretta ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 46
    Output volume in audio/midi setup get's unbalanced without changing it yourself.

I'm running 10.2.3 cause of the bad .4 update.

Maybe it's fixed there already?
  • Reply 4 of 46
    The failure of the mute button to mute the iSub.

[ 03-12-2003: Message edited by: gobble gobble ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 46
    How about they just fix 10.2.4 in general...
  • Reply 6 of 46
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    How about the annoyingness of having spring-loaded folders, but, for some reason, not having them in the dock? (try it: drag any folder on the dock, and then try to spring-open that folder by hover over it with a file). I mean, for many people, the dock has almost replaced, at least, the finder-desktop, I kind of thought Apple would have thought of this *detail*. Is this a bug? I think so, it is, in any case, inconsistent behaviour of my OS. So, why don't you add that to your list?
  • Reply 7 of 46
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Moreover, before I forget, a more infrequent bug. Imagine you're downloading a long list of files into a specific folder (e.g. 5 or more files). These files keep coming in. If you dare to perform some action in that folder (especially renaming a file/folder), and at the same time, a new file comes in, the name of the folder/file you're typing up will become final (as if you'd have pressed enter). This is annoying the hell out of me. Sometimes, I have to try five times to rename/move a file out of my download folder, because of this quirky behaviour. Undoubtedly, the .DS-Store has something to do with it.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy:

<strong>How about they just fix 10.2.4 in general...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Totally agree. My modem is dying on me after the 10.2.4 update...
  • Reply 9 of 46
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    1. When creating a new folder, it doesn't automatically allow you to change the name of the folder like in ALL previous versions of the OS since 2.0 (System 1 didn't allow folders to be created or deleted). You have to go to the new "untitled folder" and click on the title in order to change the name.

2. When opening or saving a file, the "go to" text input box is selected by default. That's probably the least useful thing in the world, considering you have to type in a path name. It would be better if they had the column view selected by default so you could easily start using the arrow keys to navigate to the file you want. There's not even an easy way to highlight the graphical column view - you have to click on it, then move around with the arrow keys.

3. Command-N should create a new folder. Command-Shift-N should open a new finder window. I do the former MUCH more often than I do the latter.

4. Finder Preferences should be located in the System Preferences to be more consistent and less confusing.

5. FTP should allow read-write access to FTP servers, not read-only. That's dumb.

6. There should be a built-in button customization option in the Mouse preference pane for those with multi-button mice. That way, those of us with multi-button mice not made by a manufacturer with Mac OS X drivers can use ALL our buttons, not just two + scroll. I use USB Overdrive, but I think something like USB Overdrive should be built into the OS.

7. When I open a QuickTime movie, about 1/4 of the time the movie opens but is in the background, not highlighted, and Finder is the active application.

8. Bring back WindowShade (although I use WindowShade X which is better anyway )
  • Reply 10 of 46
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    1. When I create a new folder by pressing the shortcut while in Column View, an untitled folder appears, but its name is not editable (I mean its name doesn't automatically become a text box with all text selected). In icon/list views it works as expected.

2. CD insertion/ejection should not interrupt all other processes. For example, when I am listening to music with iTunes or watching a film from the hard drive, everything immediately stops when I, say, eject a CD. And they call it multitasking!

3. (Not a bug, actually). The screen capture format should be customizable in System Preferences and it should be TIFF by default.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    Command+N should not create a new folder, because on every other app, Command+N creates a new window, and inconsistency is a bad thing.

Annoying bugs:

Samba in general could use some work.

Aside from that, I mostly just want to see performance improvements and general bug fixes.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    [quote]Originally posted by rogue27:

<strong>Command+N should not create a new folder, because on every other app, Command+N creates a new window, and inconsistency is a bad thing.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Feh. Silly UI Guidelines again.

I say, using command-shift-N is inconsistent because in every other Mac OS, it's been command-N. There's no reason to change it in OS X. Besides, it's not like Apple is very consistent anyway (see various threads about brushed metal apps, single-window apps, etc).
  • Reply 13 of 46
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

<strong>

Feh. Silly UI Guidelines again.

I say, using command-shift-N is inconsistent because in every other Mac OS, it's been command-N. There's no reason to change it in OS X. Besides, it's not like Apple is very consistent anyway (see various threads about brushed metal apps, single-window apps, etc).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Consistency is a good thing, regardless of how inconsistent Apple's been about being consistent. And you can honestly say you make new folders more often that you make new windows? That's insane. I do the latter much more often. I was glad when they made it easier to create a new window. I wonder which use is more frequent??
  • Reply 14 of 46
    Well I suppose I'm just old-fashioned then. My standard view options are icon view, 48x48 pixel icons, 11 point type, auto-arrange by name. I don't really like column view, though if I did use column view, I am sure I would make new windows much more often. The way I have it set up, whenever I want a finder window, I either click the Home icon in my dock, or I double click my hard disk icon on the desktop.
  • Reply 15 of 46
    [quote]Originally posted by rogue27:

<strong>Command+N should not create a new folder, because on every other app, Command+N creates a new window, and inconsistency is a bad thing.</strong><hr></blockquote>

In most apps Command-N creates a new DOCUMENT. Which in most cases is a new window, but in some cases are not. Like the Finder, where it would be a folder. Or in iTunes, where it would be a new playlist. Address book, new contact. You get the picture...
  • Reply 16 of 46
    [quote]Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

<strong>Well I suppose I'm just old-fashioned then. My standard view options are icon view, 48x48 pixel icons, 11 point type, auto-arrange by name. I don't really like column view, though if I did use column view, I am sure I would make new windows much more often. The way I have it set up, whenever I want a finder window, I either click the Home icon in my dock, or I double click my hard disk icon on the desktop.</strong><hr></blockquote>

cool, m8. that could have been me writing that post...

I'm sure it's just so ingrained in our system though, if I'd never known command-N is used to create a new folder, I'm sure I'd have an easier time using it to create a new window.

There's really no difference in functionality, it just feels so wrong. )
  • Reply 17 of 46
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by Whyatt Thrash:

<strong>

In most apps Command-N creates a new DOCUMENT. Which in most cases is a new window, but in some cases are not. Like the Finder, where it would be a folder. Or in iTunes, where it would be a new playlist. Address book, new contact. You get the picture...</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's how it was, because in the old Mac OS a window was a folder.

The new Finder considers windows to be "browsers," so you can have three completely different windows all looking into the same folder. With the old "spatial" relation gone, a new window and a new folder are no longer essentially the same thing: A folder is a folder, and a window is a browser. Command-N creates new windows.

Note that Command-N only means "New Document" in document-based applications. It can mean New View, New Browser, or whatever else makes sense for the application, as long as it involves painting a window on screen.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    My #1 gripe...the network icon.

I had to teach a PC user how to use OSX today (I've done several the last few months). Just loke all the people who preceded her, she was perplexed by the fact that the Network was no in the Network Icon. WTF Apple? Lets get with it. If the user is not on a NetInfo Network, either make this eyesore go away or make it do something...like, uhhhhhhhh, connect to a network!
  • Reply 19 of 46
    I suppose it's a little OT, but since it came up...

what the hell is the network icon for. I must admit, I've been using X for over a year now, and have yet to figure it out. I usually don't look at "computer" (you know, the window where that odd icon resides) so I don't even see it much, but I've always kind of wondered about that
  • Reply 20 of 46
    madmax559madmax559 Posts: 596member
    thank you

atleast im not the only person who likes

the explorer metaphor for navigation

make windows resizable from any corner/side

right now it reminds me of windows 2.0

really really annoying when you need to resize

a window

[quote]Originally posted by biaachmonkie:

<strong>Second all those plus...

When performince file operations in column view, move/delete, the antimated/scrolling, of the files takes way too long, just drop it. Perform the action, then redraw the window column, no animations. It can take 100 times as long as needed dependin on how many files are in the column.

Also a "Windows Explorer"/"File Manager" view would be nice, its much easier to use when managing lots of files in nested folders. Column view nice nice and quick for digging down to the file, but when your having to go back and forth sorting and organizing lots (thousands) of files, the "Explorer" way is much faster, just about every other OS has something very much the same, its just easier to use.</strong><hr></blockquote>