OSX and Longhorn: 2005

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
So I have been reading <a href="http://www.flexbeta.net/main/articles.php?action=show&id=18"; target="_blank">various</a> <a href="http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2912498,00.html"; target="_blank">articles</a> and seeing screen shots of longhorn, and starting to get slightly worried. Longhorn will be adding many new features (meta filesystem, game standardization, 3D UI, etc) that will really shake up the industry. I was wondering to myself, where will this leave OSX?

Then I realized, OSX will be at version 10.4 or 10.5 by then, and I wasn't worried anymore.

What amazing things do you think Apple will have implemented by then to make OSX appealing compared to Longhorn?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    I don't know..but if we can count on Apple for innovation (has never failed us beofore..) we will be years ahead of anything MS can toss out.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    In two years time maybe OS X will be sending us subliminal messages that Moto is really faster than a P4, but hopefully we can see the 970 so that Apple will not have to do this.

Anyway, I think that Ink will is a promising technology that Apple will maybe be making a Tablet PC and/or providing an Apple branded writing tablet for the PMs. That would be nice. We will probably see an new UI theme that will replace Aqua in a couple of years time come. Maybe something with 3D as Apple is experimenting with Stereoscopic displays.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    i see it a bit differently.

what a great opportunity for os x.

longhorn will try to bring better file management and other great ideas to windows users. but, the fact of the matter is, windows is so fragmented right now in terms of operating sustems in use (98; 98se; nt2000; xp home). microsoft has announced they will no longer support the 98 flavours. xp home will benefit. people will not want to upgrade to longhorn. there is less and less incentive now that processor power has overtaken millions of lines of code to make any os virtual instant.

at the same time, longhorn will ofcourse experience its fair share of bugs and problems asssociated with a new os.

os x is maturing nicely. allowing users to do what they want to do, simply, with no hassle. digital hub and all that.

apple having control over hardware and software and os makes it all work well.

longhorn needs to really make plug and play a reality for windows users, instead of plug and pray. and, ofcourse, it wont all come together. it cant. the windows world is just too messy with legacy this and legacy that.

what an opportunity for apple to stut its stuff. could be a very very big chance for apple.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Where are the images of Longhorn's supposed "3d" UI? I can only sudder in imagined horror at what they would produce...
  • Reply 5 of 14
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    Quartz can do 3D already, I've seen a proof-of-concept on a website already (no, I'm not gonna look it up for you).

But 3D GUIs are gonna catch on about as well as 3D movies did. They are a novelty, nothing more.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Microsoft never ships an OS that has major additions on time.

I've heard Longhorn may be scuttled in favor of Blackcomb but these are just rumors.

3D Gui- Worthless feature. 3D would only be beneficial if it could accurately represent "Depth". Much work needs to be done on current UI before we explore 3D to the masses IMO.

Metadata- Apple will have a revamped Metadata Architecture by then for sure. What I hope is that they do it RIGHT the first time. Metadata is huge as far as useability for end us

File System- I think the Holy Grail just may be a nice liteweight DB integrated into the fs. That along with excellent Metadata would be just great. In 10 years computers will be shipped with terabyte drives. Even the personal Audio, Video and Photo collections of the typical consumer will consumer Gigabytes of data. finding these files will an OS that has some sort of DB capabilities.

I'm not too worried about Gaming. Games are fast becoming a very difficult place to make money. Notice how the current games seem to be have tie ins with Movies(Harry Potter, LotR etc). It's becoming VERY expensive to create and market Games to make a profit. Apple will be fine as they will support OpenGL 2.0 but I see Computer Gaming as actually "decreasing" in popularity as smaller developers fail to keep up with larger ones causing compression in the industry.

I'm really exited about Apple and their rumored foray into Grid computing. They've Trademarket "XGrid" and there seems to be alot of underground work on Grid Computing and Clustering. With the proliferation of multiple networked computers even in the typical Consumer Household this offers amazing capabilities. Throw in Rendezvous and you have a recipe for "kick but computing"

I think there is so much that's going to happen over the next 5-6 that will redefine how we use commputers and data it's going to be fun. However I'm sure that Apple will be in the forefront of OS technology. I have immense respect for the tenacity of Microsoft and it's ruthless business acumen but I have an equal amount of respect for what Apple has been able to accomplish with less than half the numbers of MS programmers.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    they are focusing on gaming because...

a) the OS is really no good at doing much else beyond email and internet.

b) gaming is the only thing windows can do better than Linux
  • Reply 8 of 14
    os10geekos10geek Posts: 413member
    How about a dedicated "strain" of Linux, designed just for gaming? (Kinda like what the Xbox has installed, but the Xbox isn't Linux). Linux runs on just about any processor. A universal Gaming OS. I Like It.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    [quote]Originally posted by os10geek:

<strong>How about a dedicated "strain" of Linux, designed just for gaming? (Kinda like what the Xbox has installed, but the Xbox isn't Linux). Linux runs on just about any processor. A universal Gaming OS. I Like It. </strong><hr></blockquote>

The only problem is what Gaming API is Linux going to use. It would have to be OpenGL and that puts them in the same situation that Apple has. A Majority of the Games are going to be supporting DirectX. It's an uphill battle.

Hell I think computer gaming has seen it's heyday. Playing a PS2 or Xbox on a 60 Projection Television is a site to behold.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    [quote]Originally posted by hmurchison:

<strong>Games are fast becoming a very difficult place to make money. Notice how the current games seem to be have tie ins with Movies(Harry Potter, LotR etc). It's becoming VERY expensive to create and market Games to make a profit. Apple will be fine as they will support OpenGL 2.0 but I see Computer Gaming as actually "decreasing" in popularity as smaller developers fail to keep up with larger ones causing compression in the industry. </strong><hr></blockquote>

i dont think it's really true that games are difficult to make money in. well, rather, not that i think it's difficult, but game companies are extremely good at it. i think it was last year (maybe the year before last) the game industry made more money than hollywood. the game industry is fricking huge. also, i dont think that less small developers means a smaller industry; again, i look at hollywood. indie flicks are still being made, even tho the big movie industry vastly overpowers them; i think there'll always be a place for indie-games, they'll probably just reduce in popularity (there might remain an esoteric indie game section). infact, i think the only thing windows has going for it is its proprietary gaming api (directx), and the mass amount of games that buy into it. if games keep going with dx, other platforms might just be for the esoterics.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    [quote]Originally posted by os10geek:

<strong>How about a dedicated "strain" of Linux, designed just for gaming? (Kinda like what the Xbox has installed, but the Xbox isn't Linux). Linux runs on just about any processor. A universal Gaming OS. I Like It. </strong><hr></blockquote>

On a side note, over at sourceforge.net I found Linux for the Xbox, but their search function is down right now.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    [quote]Originally posted by off/lang:

<strong>Longhorn will be adding many new features (meta filesystem, game standardization, 3D UI, etc) that will really shake up the industry. I was wondering to myself, where will this leave OSX?

What amazing things do you think Apple will have implemented by then to make OSX appealing compared to Longhorn?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Most of what's coming with Longhorn are things that are more about playing catch up than surpassing OSX. The current file system for Windows is absolutely horrible. A database derived file system will be better but Microsoft has a habit of marketing things better than they actually build them.

The UI features are just catch up for the most part with what Apple has already done although I am still yet to see anything beyond words on a page with respect to that.

I can't comment on the game standardisation because I'm not sure what that refers to but as it stands the PC market is only roughly a quarter the size of the console game market and is in decline. Console games are seeing increasing sales though. Really if you want to play games these days a console is becoming the way to go with the exception of perhaps RTS and MMORPGs.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Look at the beuty of those icons:

• Reply 14 of 14
    Unimpressed.

Yeeesh. There was all this scare hype when we heard about Whistler...

...and?

Exactly.

M$ can't do anything right. Kludge. It still looks like Kludge. No grace or finesse. Puh.

Bad taste in mouth.

Panther? Wipe the floor with it.

Post Panther in 2005? Apple wipes the floor with anything M$ has.

Apple are getting better at games. Better at GL.

QE and it's application. Just the beginning.

10.2? Apple just hit prime-time. Now they get to take the ball to 64 bit with 970 power...and can you imagine where they're going to go?

I can't. But I'm excited already.

Don't worry about it.

I'm not.

Lemon Bon Bon :cool: