What changes/additions will be in OS 10.3?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
It looks like summer is the time of year when we get vacation, sleep in, and have OS X be updated by Apple. And it seems like this coming update will hold some key additions and improvements. Lets see:

(1) 64-Bit Optimization. According to many rumors coming from Macbidouille, Macwhispers, and Looprumors, we will be seeing a new processor, the PPC 970, in Powermacs in July. This means that OS X will have to be altered to take advantage of this new processor. Whether the 64-Bit edition will be sold seperately from the standard edition of OS X is unclear, but this OS X 64-bit will definitely come out if the PPC 970 is put in the Powermacs. Lets hope that it will.

(2) Performance Improvements. OS X 10.3 will definitely have improved overall speed, possibly exceeding that of OS 9.2., in the non-64-bit version. This might spur some OS 9 users to switch to X.

(3) Finder Features. There will most likely be some small UI improvements in 10.3, just like 10.2 brought us Spring Loaded folders and an enhanced Get Info box. Maybe 10.3 will bring back some OS 9 features, such as the Windowshade and Apple menu costomization. One feature that I would like to see (not an OS 9 feature, but a Windows one) is to be able to close Docked windows without maximizing them. Another welcome, but not mandatory, Windows feature that would be welcome is to be able to rename files while in the Save dialogue box.

Tell me what you see in 10.3. (Hey! I'm just poetic today!)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    This all would be VERY welcome..but I don't wanna get my hopes up. I have done that in the past in anticipation..and wound up a bit let down. This time, I will let Apple do the expectation leading..and by doing that, may lead to some very nice suprises!
  • Reply 2 of 13
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    if there's a speed improvement I'll be overjoyed.

I just sat down this week to work on my B&W G3 to prepare my portfolio and by golly, it's STILL faster in Finder on the old box than the OS X iBook. I know, maybe some fatter pipes inside.....but damn it's faster. So give me speed.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by os10geek:

<strong>One feature that I would like to see (not an OS 9 feature, but a Windows one) is to be able to close Docked windows without maximizing them. </strong><hr></blockquote>

right click (control click) or click and hold on a minimized window in the dock... a contextual menu that allows you to close the window is there
  • Reply 4 of 13
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    [quote]Originally posted by Paul:

<strong>

right click (control click) or click and hold on a minimized window in the dock... a contextual menu that allows you to close the window is there</strong><hr></blockquote>

There is not. Maybe there is with some additional hacks, but with a vanilla OS X, there is not.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    That would be a wonderful addition.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Paul:

<strong>

right click (control click) or click and hold on a minimized window in the dock... a contextual menu that allows you to close the window is there</strong><hr></blockquote>

Wow, you're already using 10.3 I gather?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    [quote]Originally posted by os10geek:

<strong>(2) Performance Improvements. OS X 10.3 will definitely have improved overall speed, possibly exceeding that of OS 9.2., in the non-64-bit version.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I would not bet on any speed improvements unless they fix some weird VM stuff.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by costique

Quote:

Originally posted by os10geek:

<strong>(2) Performance Improvements. OS X 10.3 will definitely have improved overall speed, possibly exceeding that of OS 9.2., in the non-64-bit version.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I would not bet on any speed improvements unless they fix some weird VM stuff.

I would.

I expect better performance, a whole slew of nice, polished touches, including small but welcome Dock improvements, an enhanced Minimize-in-Place, more view options for Column View and Open/Save dialogs (including sort by date and time), and improved Finder; the final version of Safari, and the implementation of WebCore into the OS, letting Sherlock and Help Viewer use the same HTML engine; also vastly improved voice technology, improved speech recognition, and a new PDF reader iApp.

That should do for starters.

Perhaps not until 10.4...?

- implementation of a database-FS

- new browse by attributes mode in Finder, to fully take advantage of database-FS

- refreshed Aqua appearance, w/ reduced pinstripes, and somewhat closer in design to the Textured/Brushed Metal look

- dramatic interface changes, using (perhaps even requiring) QuartzExtreme

- ?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

<blockquote>Originally posted by Paul:

<strong>

There is not. Maybe there is with some additional hacks, but with a vanilla OS X, there is not.

running 10.2.4 with the "Minimize in place" dock, clear dock, and tinkertool....

maybe one of those is causing the anomaly...
  • Reply 10 of 13
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Or FruitMenu can also do that I believe.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Is there any word yet as to what processor 10.3 needs to RUN? I have a 600 MHz G3. Would that kick it? Would I be able to enjoy the power and superiority of Mac OS X 10.3? Serious answers only plz.. lol... I really wanna know.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    I'd say any G3 macintosh will be able to run OS 10.3. You'll just need newer hardware to use Quartz Extreme, 64-bit programs, etc. Jaguar runs on the same systems that could run OS 10.0, in fact, Jaguar runs better. 10.3 shouldn't be any different.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    I would be happy to get some decent speed improvements and better filesharing/networking with Windows and Netware computers.

There should be plenty of room for speed improvements in the compiler, the kernel, the frameworks, and the applications themselves. In particular, I'd like to see a reduction in mouse click latency, and I'd like to see iTunes/MP3 playback use up less CPU.