iPhone Video Problems

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I picked up the new iPhone recently & decided to try out the video feature at the No Doubt concert

in Milwaukee. I was in the fifth row & the quality of the video was pretty decent. My problem is

that for some reason, Most of the videos are viewing vertically even though I was recording in

landscape mode. Example below:

When I brought it into iPhoto I thought that I could just rotate them like I can with the photos but

it doesn't allow me the option. Is anyone else having this problem? Also, does anyone know of a

free mac app that can rotate quicktime videos?

Another strange thing that I noticed is that my iPhone will not recognize a iPhoto album with

iPhone videos. iPhone videos have to be dragged into iTunes in order to get them back onto your

iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Anyone?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mello View Post

Anyone?

You need to have the phone rotated into landscape mode before you press the record button.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SurfRat View Post

You need to have the phone rotated into landscape mode before you press the record button.

I had my iPhone in the horizontal position when I hit the record button, that is why I consider this

a problem.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    You need to change this in a video editing program like iMovie. iPhoto is a photo editing software, not video editing software.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    illenillen Posts: 2member
    Damn. How many times do I have to ban this asshole?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

You need to change this in a video editing program like iMovie. iPhoto is a photo editing software, not video editing software.

iPhoto is the software that imports iPhone movies & pics to my laptop. Since Apple decided on this

instead of importing the videos into the "Movies" folder in iTunes I don't think it's unreasonable

that the tools in iPhoto should work with these videos.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    That is odd! I'll bet Apple will fix that in the next iPhone update.

How was the No Doubt concert?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    I agree with mello; this is a problem. It should not require launching a special app and doing particular tweaks. It should work correctly in iPhoto and Quicktime. I suspect Apple will address this in the next iLife and Quicktime updates.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    juanitojuanito Posts: 14member
    I'd make sure that the camera icons rotate into landscape mode before you push record. Sometimes they take a bit to rotate after you rotate the phone.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

I agree with mello; this is a problem. It should not require launching a special app and doing particular tweaks. It should work correctly in iPhoto and Quicktime. I suspect Apple will address this in the next iLife and Quicktime updates.

I guess, but still... I use iPhoto for my photos, I use iTunes for my music, I use iMovie for my movies. That's also to say you never use iPhoto for color correction, red-eye reducer, etc. Lynda.com has great tutorials on how to use iLife... FYI

The video camera has no idea what you're filming and therefore has no idea how it should appear in QuickTime. Just like a photo app does not auto rotate your pictures (by default) neither should a video app. Regardless of how I filmed it - maybe I want it in landscape mode maybe I don't - it should be left up to me how I want to view it
  • Reply 11 of 11
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by illen View Post

Damn. How many times do I have to ban this asshole?

Last edited by lundy; 07-12-2009 at 07:25 PM..

I can?t help but wonder what this guy wrote to make Lundy edit the post with a personal attack. Asshole must be putting it very lightly.