What does this mean? (weird memory problems)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
since 10.2.4 i've had problems with running out of RAM. i've got a GB but i keep hitting rock bottom for available RAM.

the pic. below is with NO apps. running. everything i could kill (process wise, not as root) has been killed. NOTHING extra is running (aside from the memory utility, which i've killed before and it makes no difference)

it seems that OSX is using up ram, then not releasing it when the program using it is done. anyone else run into this or know how to fix it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I've had something similar to this happen, but whenever something else neded the RAM, it took it if it wasn't really being used. I've found that it will say that I have very little left, but as soon as something needs it, it takes the RAM that isn't actually being used anymore.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    This is normal; all that "used" RAM is the disk cache. Free memory is wasted memory.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yeah, except now i'm getting all sorts of page-outs once it hits the 1GB limit. it sucks ass. things really slow to a crawl and the only way to fix it is to reboot.

counting the days until 10.2.5 comes out.