Are G5's with luiquid cooling reliable?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
(liquid cooling) How many of you still use without any problem an G5 Dual 2,7 or G5 Dual 2,5 or Quad 2,5 without any problem? I have read that there were a lot of leaks with such a system. Is this true?

TIA

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Hammer Fan View Post

I have read that there were a lot of leaks with such a system. Is this true?

TIA

So it seems. I see that you are from/in Belgium, so you most probably can read French; this article seems to confirm your worst fears. \
  • Reply 2 of 5
    oldcodger73oldcodger73 Posts: 707member
    I don't know about leak problems, I didn't have mine long enough for that to happen. At about 10 months the power supply failed, at about 18 months the G5 Dual 2.5 started having frequent crashes. After at least 5 attempts to solve the problem, the AppleStore gave up and replaced it with a new Mac Pro at no charge through AppleCare.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I didn't own any, but I know of 3 liquid cooled G5's belonging to a friend and a business that have been running for years now with no problems.

I'd have a hard time buying a non-Intel machine these days though. Even a used Intel Mac Pro shouldn't be THAT much more than an old G5. You may wish to run the latest software and OS as they are released/updated.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mikep123mikep123 Posts: 31member
    I have a June 2004 dual 2.5Ghz G5 and it started to leak about a month ago so I decided to replace it with a new iMac. After replacing it I started reading about others having similar problems so I called Apple to see if they would do anything to repair it for me. I honestly wasn't expecting much support on a five year old computer that has long been out of warranty. To my surprise, they agreed to repair it at their cost. I took it to my local Apple store the next day and five days later I was given, effectively, a brand new G5 PowerMac/Mac Pro with a warranty until early October 09. The repair bill totaled just over $2,900 and they replaced almost everything inside the case as well as the case itself. Frankly, I was surprised they even had the parts.

Now I've got a new G5 with 7GB of ram and a 23" Cinema display sitting in the corner and not even plugged in. I can honestly say I didn't think I'd be in this situation when I purchased the iMac. If I knew they were going to repair it for free I wouldn't have purchased the iMac. The iMac is great but I'd have rather saved the money. Live and learn I guess.

My wife suggested I give it to an in-law but I hate to see it sitting there only being used for email and surfing the web. I have Adobe CS3 on it and it runs all of the applications just fine as well as other CPU intensive applications such as Handbrake. I'll probably end up selling it to a friend or finding some college kid who can use it.

Go figure.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Interesting story. Thanks for sharing.