Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Which one would you choose?

Difference of $100.

Is it worth it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    I went with a 32 GB. Just another 2 days for it to come in. Waited 2 years for the 32 GB to come out.

My music collection is probably about 2.5 GB. However, I plan having lots video and pictures on it. If you plan on shooting video a bit, go with the 32. My wife will probably use up 32 GB of video/pictures during the first week.

Note: Our 4 year old Canon S2 IS similarly shoots VGA at ~30 fps. The Canon was limited to 2 GB SD cards, and we simply never bothered to switch cards even though we had a couple. The 32 GB iPhone can record 16x more video. Semiconductor technology is magic alien technology.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

I went with a 32 GB. Just another 2 days for it to come in. Waited 2 years for the 32 GB to come out.

My music collection is probably about 2.5 GB. However, I plan having lots video and pictures on it. If you plan on shooting video a bit, go with the 32. My wife will probably use up 32 GB of video/pictures during the first week.

Note: Our 4 year old Canon S2 IS similarly shoots VGA at ~30 fps. The Canon was limited to 2 GB SD cards, and we simply never bothered to switch cards even though we had a couple. The 32 GB iPhone can record 16x more video. Semiconductor technology is magic alien technology.

my music collection is roughly 36gb but I doubt i'd want the whole thing on a phone anyways. I guess that's what the ipod would be for. but it looks like on macrumors the ipod will be updated soon.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Go with the 32GB just like me. It really depends if you need the space capacity. If you do not need so much space, then get the 16GB. If you want more, get the 32GB. I personally feel that that the 32GB has more resale value compared to the 16GB.

Hope I've helped.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I say it is absolutely worth it. Video especially takes up loads of room. It is $100 more but you take that across two years and it is about $.07 a day to make sure you have all the space you will likely need during that time. Two years ago the baseline iPhone was 4 gig. Think about how small that would feel now. Realize that is probably what 16 gigs will feel like in two years.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    The 32GB is definitely worth it. I find whenever I buy the model with the space for what I have currently, I quickly outgrow it. So get more in case you need it.

The other thing is, of course, storage for all the recordings, videos and photos. If the iPhone is going to be your primary iPod, you're going to need to make sure you have room for all your media and all the content you will be generating.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I'd go with 16GB myself but it depends on what you use the device for. I've gotten into the habit of syncing what I need when I need to rather than just dumping everything on it because I find that if I dump a whole load of stuff onto the phone, I just don't use it.

It's the same deal with having a DVD collection. You think you need it so you can access them when the urge arises but after 5 years of them collecting dust, you realize that it's not practical.

I currently use under 2GB of space on my 8GB phone - 15 hours of music, ten 3rd party apps, no movies and about 15 photos.

When I put movies on it for travelling, I put on about 2-3 films and 10 TV shows. The total here is about 3 x 400MB + 10 X 150MB = 3GB. This takes my total up to about 5GB out of 8GB.

I can see reasons why some people could use more space but I prefer keeping the iphone as a slave device that can be wiped and restored easily and quickly.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I'd go with 16GB myself but it depends on what you use the device for. I've gotten into the habit of syncing what I need when I need to rather than just dumping everything on it because I find that if I dump a whole load of stuff onto the phone, I just don't use it.

It's the same deal with having a DVD collection. You think you need it so you can access them when the urge arises but after 5 years of them collecting dust, you realize that it's not practical.

I currently use under 2GB of space on my 8GB phone - 15 hours of music, ten 3rd party apps, no movies and about 15 photos.

When I put movies on it for travelling, I put on about 2-3 films and 10 TV shows. The total here is about 3 x 400MB + 10 X 150MB = 3GB. This takes my total up to about 5GB out of 8GB.

I can see reasons why some people could use more space but I prefer keeping the iphone as a slave device that can be wiped and restored easily and quickly.

So that's why you got the 16GB 3GS? I agree with your buying decision. If you need more memory space, get it. If not, save the $100.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post

So that's why you got the 16GB 3GS?

I have the 8GB iphone 3G. They don't make the 3GS with less than 16GB but if they did, I'd go with the lowest one on offer.

I notice you have a 32GB iphone, can I ask what your space usage is on it and what you use most of the space with, music, movies, apps? Also, do you sync often or keep the content mostly the same?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I have the 8GB iphone 3G. They don't make the 3GS with less than 16GB but if they did, I'd go with the lowest one on offer.

I notice you have a 32GB iphone, can I ask what your space usage is on it and what you use most of the space with, music, movies, apps? Also, do you sync often or keep the content mostly the same?

Oh I see. My mistake then. On my iPhone, 22GB music, 1GB movies, 2GB of apps. I keep the content mostly the same unless I download new songs/movies into my Mac. Why do you ask?