Snow Leopard 10a411 on MBP Santa Rosa Core 2 Duo- no 64-bit kernel- why?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Can someone help me out here- I look in my system preferences and it is telling me that I am not running a 64-bit kernel on my MBP. I have a core 32 duo and the latest snow leopard beta.

thank you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

Can someone help me out here- I look in my system preferences and it is telling me that I am not running a 64-bit kernel on my MBP. I have a core 32 duo and the latest snow leopard beta.

thank you.

I'd say that it is probably still work in development; I know that not all the graphics drivers are 64bit for example; I'm sure they're working on it but it is a matter of getting them stable enough for developers to test in a useful way.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    I think the release notes, which you'll find in the Mac Developer Programme site, tell you how to select which kernel to use.

Amorya
  • Reply 3 of 9
    iansilviansilv Posts: 283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

I think the release notes, which you'll find in the Mac Developer Programme site, tell you how to select which kernel to use.

Amorya

OOOOOHHHHHHHH..... ok thanks Amorya.

Oh wait- crap! You called me out! I am not a developer!

So can anyone here explain to me how to select the kernel without the passive-aggressive overtones?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Awww, go on then. You hold down 6 and 4 when you boot
  • Reply 5 of 9
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

OOOOOHHHHHHHH..... ok thanks Amorya.

Oh wait- crap! You called me out! I am not a developer!

So can anyone here explain to me how to select the kernel without the passive-aggressive overtones?

I won't be passive aggressive. The magic keys are all over the damn net and as the developer above said, it reflects the type of kernel bits.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    lennylenny Posts: 85member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

Awww, go on then. You hold down 6 and 4 when you boot

It still says:

64-bit Kernel and ExtensionstNo
  • Reply 7 of 9
    yeah I just held 6 and 4 down as it booted with a MBP 2.2 santa rosa- is anyone here able to get 64-bit on their mbp with my same configuration?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

thank you.

Same problem exists with MacBook w/ Intel X3100 under 10A421a.

I just hope that its taking Apple a while because the code is a pigs breakfast rather than Apple deliberately killing off 64bit bit support for non-Nvidia and non-ATI products
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macintoshtoffy View Post

Same problem exists with MacBook w/ Intel X3100 under 10A421a.

I just hope that its taking Apple a while because the code is a pigs breakfast rather than Apple deliberately killing off 64bit bit support for non-Nvidia and non-ATI products

OK- so snow leopard is being officially released on Friday- any new information on this front? Has the lsit of 64-bit kernel running computers increased? Will MBP3,1 be able to handle it?