Salvaging iMac Hardware

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello,

My sister had her 20" iMac with 2.0Ghz dual core CPU die on her after only 14 months. It turns out that the logic board was faulty. Since it isn't worth it to have the logic board replaced I'm trying to salvage some of the parts from the machine. As such I have 2 questions I am hoping someone can answer:

1) Could I take out the CPU and use it in a PC motherboard? I know the CPU is an Intel Core 2 Duo, but I'm not sure if it would fit onto a regular PC CPU socket.

2) Are there any tutorials on how to modify your iMac screen to be used as a standalone monitor capable of accepting a VGA or DVI signal? I imagine it will require some changes to the hardware.

If this is a repost I apologize. I took a quick look through this forum and didn't see anything similar. Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Matt

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mahoneedr View Post

1) Could I take out the CPU and use it in a PC motherboard? I know the CPU is an Intel Core 2 Duo, but I'm not sure if it would fit onto a regular PC CPU socket.

2) Are there any tutorials on how to modify your iMac screen to be used as a standalone monitor capable of accepting a VGA or DVI signal? I imagine it will require some changes to the hardware.

1) It's a mobile processor that uses a mobile socket. There are very few, very expensive desktop motherboards it will work in. It's probably Socket M. Or it could be Socket 479 if the thing is actually a Core Duo instead of a Core 2 Duo.

2) I assume it the built-in display uses an LVDS (LDI) connector. So you would need an adapter for that and an AC-DC power adapter. It's frankly not worth it. Put it on eBay, somebody probably needs an iMac screen.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I realised over £100 for a faulty G5 imac 17" a few weeks ago - you'd be surprised how many people buy them!!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    mpwmpw Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solidpro View Post

I realised over £100 for a faulty G5 imac 17" a few weeks ago - you'd be surprised how many people buy them!!

Where, ebay?

I've got a couple of dead Macs to offload, both failed logic boards, but I'm dreading ebaying stuff for the first time.