iPhone 3Gs vs TMobile G1

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
So how does the G1 stack up against the new iPhone?

pros cons?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    nothing?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Apparently Android and iPhone don't cater to the same set of users.

You can go to the Mobile Computing Outpost forum on ArsTechnica and there is a thread about it there. ArsTechnica has a much higher ratio of folks that care about "freedom" than here on Appleinsider.

Generally, the advantages of the G1 over the iPhone are like the Palm Pre's advantages: 3rd party app multi-tasking and a better notification system. Not sure about that better notification system yet. That's pretty much it. The iPhone 3GS will be better at everything else or tie.

The problem for the G1 (and the keyboard less Magic) is that it is on older gen CPU hardware and only has 128 MB RAM, and will run sluggishly for the same class of apps if they both appear on the iPhone 3GS and the G1. I'd just wait to get the Hero if you can afford an unlocked one, assuming you go the Android route.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If you simply must have a physical keyboard, get the G1 or the Pre. If not, which is me, get the iPhone.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    xplicsxplics Posts: 14member
    Having made the switch from T-Mobile G-1 to the At&t IPhone I must say that the Iphone is just plain better choice and simply better In every way possible. The screen is smaller on the G1, the physical keyboard on the G1 has tiny buttons, the G1 looks like a cheap toy to me, the touch screen key board is poor quality compared to the iPhones touch keyboard and the Iphone keyboard is super accurate unlike g1's. Also the web is horrible slow on the g1 it freezes up every other minute it seems. The very small limit for apps from the Andriod store is silly. Overall the Iphone just is far better and this is coming from someone who owned a G1 for over 6 Months.

I made the jump a lite over a month ago, never looked back and never plan too either, the grass is in this case greener with the iPhone. If you must pick then do yourself a favor and choose right get a iPhone.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O-Mac View Post

So how does the G1 stack up against the new iPhone?

pros cons?

I give a 0 for the G1. iPhone 3GS is so much better hands down. You should not even be comparing it with the G1!
  • Reply 6 of 8
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    I know a couple of apple-haters who love to point out any apple flaws whenever it's a headline in the news. Or when another new product is out that challenges anything Apple has to offer.

The iPhone 3Gs still looks and sounds like a better product in most respects to me.

But to each his/her own!!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    There is no comparison with the G1. The iPhone 3GS outshines it by far. You *might* compare the iPhone to the Pre, but even then, it's pretty clear.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

There is no comparison with the G1. The iPhone 3GS outshines it by far. You *might* compare the iPhone to the Pre, but even then, it's pretty clear.

+1! But I think the Pre is the best iPhone COMPETITOR ( NOT KILLER ) so far.