Does anyone work off their iDisk?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Since I can't get iGet Mobile to work right, the next easiest thing to do is to throw my documents folder onto my iDisk and work off the Cloud. This way I'll always have access to my files, whether from my iPhone or any web browser via the MobileMe site. Download a file, edit it, and then re-upload it, etc. Easy.

I've moved my Documents folder to my iDisk and put a link to it on my desktop, in the dock, etc. It's pretty simple, really, and very convenient.

Does anyone else do this? Seems like a good idea minus the security concerns. I've got nothing overly sensitive on there, though, and my account is password protected. And I do believe Apple is regulated as to the degree of access it is allowed in this area, if any at all.

Thoughts? Comments?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Since I can't get iGet Mobile to work right, the next easiest thing to do is to throw my documents folder onto my iDisk and work off the Cloud. This way I'll always have access to my files, whether from my iPhone or any web browser via the MobileMe site. Download a file, edit it, and then re-upload it, etc. Easy.

I've moved my Documents folder to my iDisk and put a link to it on my desktop, in the dock, etc. It's pretty simple, really, and very convenient.

Does anyone else do this? Seems like a good idea minus the security concerns. I've got nothing overly sensitive on there, though, and my account is password protected. And I do believe Apple is regulated as to the degree of access it is allowed in this area, if any at all.

Thoughts? Comments?

I do use my iDisk for all my documents. It allows me to work on the same set of documents whether I am using my iMac or my Macbook Air. Anything sensitive is kept in encrypted disk images. Works nice, and since the documents are synced with a couple of computers in addition to being up there in Apple's cloud, I always have multiple copies in case something goes wrong. As long as you are paying for the mobile me service, you might as well use it.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    I do but i have it sync'ed locally too.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

I do use my iDisk for all my documents. It allows me to work on the same set of documents whether I am using my iMac or my Macbook Air. Anything sensitive is kept in encrypted disk images. Works nice, and since the documents are synced with a couple of computers in addition to being up there in Apple's cloud, I always have multiple copies in case something goes wrong. As long as you are paying for the mobile me service, you might as well use it.

I'm of the same mind. So I'm not crazy after all.

It seems to work nicely. It's really something to have access to your documents from virtually any device that can fire up a browser. I can be out of town and use any old PC to get to and work on my files.

At one point I tried to write an Applescript to copy things to my iDisk as soon as they appeared in my local Documents folder. This was a bit of a hassle, actually. Much easier to just work off the cloud and put a link on your desktop/Dock.

MobileMe is worth the $$. What I would like to see is Apple's own iDisk app. The App Store has several good ones (Air Sharing Pro being the best, IMHO) but I'd love to see Apple's take on it.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I'm of the same mind. So I'm not crazy after all.

It seems to work nicely. It's really something to have access to your documents from virtually any device that can fire up a browser. I can be out of town and use any old PC to get to and work on my files.

At one point I tried to write an Applescript to copy things to my iDisk as soon as they appeared in my local Documents folder. This was a bit of a hassle, actually. Much easier to just work off the cloud and put a link on your desktop/Dock.

MobileMe is worth the $$. What I would like to see is Apple's own iDisk app. The App Store has several good ones (Air Sharing Pro being the best, IMHO) but I'd love to see Apple's take on it.

Its no coincidence that you see the same folder structure in iDisk as you do on your Mac. And you are not working off the cloud, FYI. You have all your documents local and they are synced to the cloud. Big difference. You cannot work on your docs on "any old PC" if you've created them in Pages, for example. Google apps are cloud apps. With Google Apps "any old PC" really means ANY old PC... with a modern browser and internet connection of course. Google has cloud apps where Apple just has cloud services.

And yes, Apple will soon have an iDisk app for your iPhone. You can read about it on their site.

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/features/idisk.html