Help with my Macbook pro

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So I have a macbook pro that, about a week ago, stopped doing what it's supposed to do: work. I believe, after a conversation with Apple Support and extensive searching in help forums, that I have found out that my problem has something to do with my logic board being fried.

About a week ago, I had some applications open and I closed my computer while they were open. When I went to open the computer again (like I've done countless countless times) my computer wouldn't turn on. Or rather, the screen wouldn't.

What I know:

-The only thing that works is the little light on the front of the laptop, the one that normally pulsates when the computer is asleep.

-That resetting the computer using the options found here don't do anything. (resetting PRAM and SMC)

-That for the past few weeks my computer seems to have been running very very hot for no apparent reason (I didn't do anything different out of the norm)

I read a report on Apple's website that talks about (here) NVIDIA chips being faulty on some macbook pros, but I feel that there is a deeper rooted issue with my computer. Nothing works when I turn it on aside from the little light at the front of the computer and my cd drive making a noise. (there isn't a cd in it)

Can anyone help me? Suggest what I can do? I don't really have the money to get it repaired and I don't feel like I should have to pay for it anyway, I didn't do anything different from the norm. It just stopped working.

Also, I already made sure that it wasn't that the screen was just turned off... lol...

Thanks in advance!

-Emory

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Try connecting up an external display. If it works, your internal display or a connection to it may just be damaged.

If an external doesn't work, it's possible that your logic board is broken. The symptoms are consistent with a logic board failure.

Quote:

I don't really have the money to get it repaired and I don't feel like I should have to pay for it anyway, I didn't do anything different from the norm. It just stopped working.

Using a computer wears it out like any other product, which is why they come with a fixed-time warranty.

If you have an older Macbook Pro, you might be eligible for the extended repair program though. Check here for more details:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

Quote:

Also, I already made sure that it wasn't that the screen was just turned off

The brightness buttons on the laptops can often fool people into thinking there's a problem as they can turn the screen off but it would have reset itself.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

[...] If an external doesn't work, it's possible that your logic board is broken. The symptoms are consistent with a logic board failure.

Indeed. I had the same symptoms on my 3 month old MBP last week. Upon restarting it never progressed beyond the grey screen with the apple and that running circular thingy anymore. Same thing when I tried starting up in 'safe mode' (holding the Shift key), or when I tried starting up from a Leopard DVD (holding the C key). The Leopard DVD never ejected anymore either. So I also concluded that it was a fried motherboard and took my MBP to Apple's repair people. They, however, diagnosed a broken harddisk.

Apparently the internal HD and the CD/DVD reader/burner use the same port to shunt data to and fro the motherboard, so that when the HD broke it also blocked/stymied that port, which therefore blocked restarting from a DVD: the data couldn't get through to the motherboard!

Anyway, a new internal HD (warranty) solved the prob.

This was the SECOND MacBook Pro that went AWOL on me this year! The first one – a 1,5 year old MBP – WAS a fried motherboard, the second – 3 months old – a broken harddisk!

Thank God for Time Machine backups: when I got my MBP back yesterday with its new HD I had it back up and running (over 100GB of data) inside an hour without losing even one byte!