It's January 2003... (Powerbook questions)

farfar
Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I want to buy a Powerbook but there's this money problem... :-)

So I'm going to wait one year and have to save some money.

My questions are: What can I expect when I'm buying a PB in 2003? Is there a G5 in it? 2 GHz? Anything else?

Maybe you could speculate a little bit. Would be very interesting, I think.

Best regards,

Far

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    blablablabla Posts: 185member
    maybe it would use one of those mythical 2 Ghz IBM PPC?

<a href="http://news.com.com/2100-1001-257421.html"; target="_blank">http://news.com.com/2100-1001-257421.html</a>;
  • Reply 2 of 8
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I don't think there'll be a G5 in it. Probably 1GHz or slightly higher Apollo G4.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    1, 1.2 G4

Updated enclosure to have a more "iBook-like" hinge--shedding another 6oz!

256 mb ram standard up to 2 gig

72 - 160 gig HD
  • Reply 4 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by BerberCarpet:

<strong>1, 1.2 G4

Updated enclosure to have a more "iBook-like" hinge--shedding another 6oz!

256 mb ram standard up to 2 gig

72 - 160 gig HD</strong><hr></blockquote>

hard drives really that big? seems a little "out there" to me... what about ram speed and bus speed?

this actually sounds pretty cool. If I get an iMac instead of an iBook I may just wait for one of these in a year!!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    mr.emr.e Posts: 20member
    Ok - I think they'll have G5 powerbooks; apple has consistantly had the best laptops first. Perhaps low profile ddr ram, a hyper transport bus. Not sure 'bout speed, maybe a 1.6 GHz at most. Get ready for un updated PB this year. Enclosure wise, I'm not sure what Apple(Ive) could design that's more sleek as a titanium case. Anyone have any ideas? As for batteries, I sure would want a longer life - fuel cells, perhaps?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Currently, the largest 2.5" hard drive available is the 60GB IBM TravelStar. It wouldn't suprise me that by next year we'd be over 120GB.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    farfar Posts: 17member
    [quote]Ok - I think they'll have G5 powerbooks; apple has consistantly had the best laptops first. Perhaps low profile ddr ram, a hyper transport bus. Not sure 'bout speed, maybe a 1.6 GHz at most. Get ready for un updated PB this year. Enclosure wise, I'm not sure what Apple(Ive) could design that's more sleek as a titanium case. Anyone have any ideas? As for batteries, I sure would want a longer life - fuel cells, perhaps?<hr></blockquote>

In my opinion the design is nearly perfect. They don't have to change the case or something.

A G5 CPU would be great, but I think the PowerMacs are getting it first. And I don't believe that we'd see a PM G5 this year. Maybe next year.

Btw, what kind of RAM is used in the current PB modells?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by mr.e:

<strong>Ok - I think they'll have G5 powerbooks; apple has consistantly had the best laptops first.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Doubtful. The G4 was introduced in the Powermac in '99 and the Powerbook didn't get it until MWSF '01.