Oh wow. I stumbled upon the first resolution independent icon I've seen on Mac OS X.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I found it in /System/Library/CoreServices/Spotlight/Contents/Resources/

It's called MDSearchMenuIcon.pdf and it's 20 KB, which isn't bad at all, although it is a simple image.

I know this probably isn't news, but since resolution independence is one of those things Apple keeps putting on the back burner, it's nice to see that they're at least willing to make something resolution independent if it'll save disk space.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Are you sure it's not just a vector PDF?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    l255jl255j Posts: 57member
    Yes, it is a vector pdf, but isn't that what makes the image resolution independent?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Mostly all the Menu Extras are done this way also:

For example:

/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/Battery.menu/Contents/Resources/BatteryCharging.pdf
  • Reply 4 of 6
    ranguvarranguvar Posts: 30member
    Huh. Why not use SVG files? Using a full-fledged PDF seems kinda silly, unless there's a technical advantage.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ranguvar View Post

Huh. Why not use SVG files? Using a full-fledged PDF seems kinda silly, unless there's a technical advantage.

Display PDF is built-in. No need to add SVG for complexity when your drawing system has Display PDF already.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I suppose. Still seems odd to rely on a full-fledged document format for your scalable graphics. Kinda like if MS started replacing all default icons with .DOC files (PDF is more cross-platform and open than DOC, but it's close enough in terms of increase in format complexity). SVG is basically the standard for scalable graphics already, at least on the web (oh, please god, no PDF graphics on my Internets...).

Not that it's a big deal