Playing one song at a time in iTunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm a volunteer djay at a small community radio station and am trying to play some of my radio show through iTunes. The trouble is, iTunes does not let me play just one song at a time.

Things can get hectic at times so I don't want to create a 1-song playlist, it's not practical. Some of the other workarounds are also not practical if things get busy, and things inevitably get busy.

I also have time constraints, such as reading a PSA at 15 and 30 minutes after the hour so I need to have the flexibility to seamlessly pick a song to fill in the time, and to sometimes change the song at the last minute.

It just doesn't make any sense to create 20, or 30 or 40, 1-song playlists for my show, especially when something may change at the last minute. It also doesn't make sense to make 1 or 2 longer playlists for my show since the times between reading PSA's and underwriters, adding requests, etc. change every week.

CD players are great at playing 1 song at a time, from what I've been able to tell, iTunes sucks at this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

John

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    tomozjtomozj Posts: 54member
    Hi there.

What you could try doing is unticking all of the checkboxes to the left of the songs. If a song is unchecked, it is skipped, but if they're all unchecked then once the song you're playing has finished nothing will play after it. You could combine this with using the browse feature (View Menu -> Show Browser, or Apple+B) so you can narrow down your song selection further without having to create a playlist. A fast way of unticking everything is holding down your apple key and then unticking one song - it will apply it to all. Then simply undo it once the song's finished playing, or even leave it that way so this is always the effect.

However if you sync a device such as an iPod a preference is to not sync unchecked songs - so make sure you've either disabled that option or re-ticked your songs before syncing.

Hope that helps.