Iphone 3G S Over heating anyone??

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I plugged in my phone to charge last night and after only 2hours I tried to pick it up (with silicone case still on it) It was freaking hot! Like It just came out of the oven. I dropped it out of my hands onto my bed and my hand/fingers were a little stingy from the heat...

I was wondering if anyone has had their phone get too hot or anything.... I googled it and there are quite a few posts about it happeneing to other people..

What do I do about it? Is Apple going to replace it/ recall ?

[email protected]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    All cell phones get hot if you talk on them for a long time. The iPhone does so much more than the average phone and people use it a lot more than other smartphones. Having said that, I doubt there is any type of design flaw with the iPhone and heat. Some of the problems people have been having can be directly traced to the case they use for the phone. Not all cases are created equally. I suspect that the iPhone was designed to dissipate heat through its shell. When you wrap that shell in another shell, bad things can happen. It's not a design flaw; it's a catch 22. Heavy users should probably not use cases so that their phones do not overheat. However, heavy users are hardest on their phones and are the most likely candidates for needing a case.

As a relatively heavy user, I have decided to err on the side of resale value. I use a case.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Is the problem repeatable? Does it happen everytime you charge?

If it does you may have a defective battery. I would take it into the Apple Store and have them check. It's a lot easier if you can demonstrate the problem to ATT or Apple Store folks.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sassy K View Post

I plugged in my phone to charge last night and after only 2hours I tried to pick it up (with silicone case still on it) It was freaking hot! Like It just came out of the oven. I dropped it out of my hands onto my bed and my hand/fingers were a little stingy from the heat...

I was wondering if anyone has had their phone get too hot or anything.... I googled it and there are quite a few posts about it happeneing to other people..

[email protected]

I make the 90 minute drive from Milwaukee to Chicago once a week. With my iPhone 3GS charging via the dock connector, pandora streaming over 3G, and the occasional phone call, my iPhone got warm, but not uncomfortably so... all this while sitting in direct sunlight coming through the sunroof.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

I plugged in my phone to charge last night and after only 2hours I tried to pick it up (with silicone case still on it) It was freaking hot! [/email]

My iPhone gets hot during charging but then a lot of devices do.

Back to your post, I'm not surprised yours is getting really hot! You have a SILICON case, which is quite a good insulator. So the normal heat the phone is generating is not being allowed to dissipate hence the red hot iPhone.

I would suggest removing your iPhone from the case during charging or try something else.

Personally I don't like cases, too bulky for me, so I use skins. I've just replaced my invisibleshield by Zagg with a BestSkinsEver, which I find to be a much better cut and easier to apply. The invisible shield has too many small tabs and it started to peel off after two months.

Regards
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

[email protected]

Apple will not replace it. Hopefully a recall is eminent. And, so far my white 3GS has no hairline cracks or discolouring, but slight heat is produced after some time of intense usage. Hope this helps.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post

Apple will not replace it. Hopefully a recall is eminent. And, so far my white 3GS has no hairline cracks or discolouring, but slight heat is produced after some time of intense usage. Hope this helps.

There wont be a recall, there is nothing wrong with the majority of iPhones. There are only a small number of people experiencing "overheating" (which is also subjective), which is likely due to things like cases as the original poster has experienced.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisDaMacMan View Post

There wont be a recall, there is nothing wrong with the majority of iPhones. There are only a small number of people experiencing "overheating" (which is also subjective), which is likely due to things like cases as the original poster has experienced.

I still don't understand why the iPhone 3G/3GS experiences cracks,although my 3GS dosen't. This is a clear sign in which there is some build problems and needs to be resolved very soon, which points to a new case design/ material in the 2010 ( 4th gen iPhone ).