why the bleep do Macs only burn +R dual layer DVD's?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
This is the only thing I hate about Macs.

Why does it have to be the format that HP created?

It would be soooo much easier to buy DVD-R DL's.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

This is the only thing I hate about Macs.

Why does it have to be the format that HP created?

DVD+R DL are much better quality than dvd-r dl... im sure almost everyone uses verbatim dvd+r dl for PC and Mac burning
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Quote:

It would? Are you sure? Because as far as I know, DVD-R DL discs don't exist. A google search backed that up. I've certainly never seen them in a store (and I worked at more than a couple of electronics stores in the last few years while I was in school). Where are you seeing these discs?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

It would? Are you sure? Because as far as I know, DVD-R DL discs don't exist. A google search backed that up. I've certainly never seen them in a store (and I worked at more than a couple of electronics stores in the last few years while I was in school). Where are you seeing these discs?

Are you joking? LOL DVD+R DL are much more difficult to find than DVD-R DL. This is both the case in North America where I'm from and Japan where I live. I'm looking online right now at countless DVD-R DL discs.

+R was created by HP and really isn't as common as -R DL.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    From scanning the Newegg.com and Meritline websites:

Suppliers of DVD-R DL: 3 (Ridata, Verbatim, Ritek)

Suppliers of DVD+R DL: 7 (Ridata, Verbatim, TDK, Imation, Memorex, Ritek, Philips, Playo)

Not sure where Sony fits in with these two formats.

You have to go to a big computer store such as Microcenter to even find DVD-R DL disks on a shelf.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    even amazon, futureshop, best buy have way more -R
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

even amazon, futureshop, best buy have way more -R

Are you sure about that? I don't see a single DVD-R DL on the Best Buy website. Best Buy does carry DVD+R DL, however.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    maybe that's an American thing with the +R's.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

maybe that's an American thing with the +R's.

Must be a "Canadian thing", too, as FutureShop doesn't have any DVD-R DLs listed, either.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    How old is your computer? The older 9.5mm panasonic drivers don't support DVD-R DL. Its a hardware limitation, not software. Mac OS X supports -R DL just fine.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

How old is your computer? The older 9.5mm panasonic drivers don't support DVD-R DL. Its a hardware limitation, not software. Mac OS X supports -R DL just fine.

My MacBook is late 2007 Intel. It does not burn DVD-R DL.

Code:

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857D:

Firmware RevisiontKBVB

InterconnecttATAPI

Burn SupporttYes (Apple Shipping Drive)

Cachet2048 KB

Reads DVDtYes

CD-Writet-R, -RW

DVD-Writet-R, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW

Write StrategiestCD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO

MediatInsert media and refresh to show available burn speeds

Google spits out a lot of interesting threads on various sites about this burner. If I can make my drive burn DVD-R DL I'd be thrilled. Got a DVD book of 300 +R DL data discs.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    That explains it then. the 857D does not have -r DL support, only +R. The superslims were a little bit behind on -r DL support. I haven been able to find any firmware patches that update it to +/- DL support.

Its successor, the 867 has full +/-R DL support, but I doubt you'd want to pay the retrofit fees though.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mainomega View Post

DVD+R DL are much better quality than dvd-r dl... im sure almost everyone uses verbatim dvd+r dl for PC and Mac burning

This seems to be the case. For dual layer discs, -R are unreliable - if i recall correctly, there aren't as supported in stand alone players as +Rs and also there might be an issue with layer breaks. it's been so long since we stopped using -R DL's that i've forgotten exactly why we stopped using them. doh!
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

My MacBook is late 2007 Intel. It does not burn DVD-R DL.

Google spits out a lot of interesting threads on various sites about this burner. If I can make my drive burn DVD-R DL I'd be thrilled. Got a DVD book of 300 +R DL data discs.

Most (all?) of the Superdrive models used by Apple recently are both + and - DL compatible. I got the HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS21N drive in my Mid 2009 MacBook Pro and it's both.